ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Chambers Doing Work (Recruiting)

psuguy43

Sep 28, 2002
https://www.btpowerhouse.com/platfo...ruiting-lundy-scott-bishop-mcleod-austin-ncaa

Not only are we right there with a number of 3 and 4 star guards, as well as 4* Seth Lundy from Roman Catholic (would be a terrific replacement once Lamar leaves), but I am most intrigued McLeod -- a 7 footer from Philly. Current 3*, wouldn't shock me if that went up. The 6'8 unrated guy that we just signed is going to be a 3*+ when they update the rankings, I surmise from what I hear/read.

Anyway, Pat and crew are really working to keep this progress continuing!

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/platfo...ruiting-lundy-scott-bishop-mcleod-austin-ncaa

Not only are we right there with a number of 3 and 4 star guards, as well as 4* Seth Lundy from Roman Catholic (would be a terrific replacement once Lamar leaves), but I am most intrigued McLeod -- a 7 footer from Philly. Current 3*, wouldn't shock me if that went up. The 6'8 unrated guy that we just signed is going to be a 3*+ when they update the rankings, I surmise from what I hear/read.

And what will the excuses be if PSU goes .500 this year?

Yep, anyone who doesn’t see the good that chambers is doing is either blind or unrealistically impatient.

Looking for a five player class. Already have
Patrick Kelly (F) and Abdou Tsimbila (F).

G- Austin, Bishop, or Girard
F- Lundy or Scott
C- McLeod or Stone

Reactions: bmw199 and Bob78
Yep, anyone who doesn’t see the good that chambers is doing is either blind or unrealistically impatient.

Yep. Another 20 years and he will be recruiting more 2 and 3 Star big men than the zero star players he is now getting!!!

Just wait til next year.

Haha, this thread is beginning to sound like the 2019 recruiting thread where Michigan fans justify their low star recruits by saying that they are going to develop into pro players.

Just wait til next year.

Haha, this thread is beginning to sound like the 2019 recruiting thread where Michigan fans justify their low star recruits by saying that they are going to develop into pro players.
No, nobody is saying that we are going to win the big ten, just that Chambers is building slow but sure.

Reactions: psu1969a
Yep. Another 20 years and he will be recruiting more 2 and 3 Star big men than the zero star players he is now getting!!!
Considering we currently have one of the most prolific bigs that we've had (I would say the best since 1999), and have a serviceable backup with upside for the first time in God knows when...

He hasn't really been evaluated yet. I'm betting he becomes at least a 3 star after their next update, once he has really been evaluated.

Who cares about winning the B10? How about making it to the NCAA tournament. That would be a start.
The team proved that they were NCAA caliber this year with how they cleaned up in the NIT. What Pat is building is pretty exciting - there is legit good basketball being played in the BJC. Be negative all you want, it's really going out on a limb

The team proved that they were NCAA caliber this year with how they cleaned up in the NIT. What Pat is building is pretty exciting - there is legit good basketball being played in the BJC. Be negative all you want, it's really going out on a limb

Negative? Show me the results and then you can talk about how good the program is. You are talking about a team that lost to Rider and was .500 in the B10. They do what they do every year, have losses against teams they should beat and have a couple of unexpected wins to give people hope.

The team lost their best player and leading scorer and some on here are talking about how great their unranked recruit may be. When PSU actually plays a decent out of conference schedule and has a winning record in the B10 (which they haven't done under Chambers) on a regular basis, and makes the NCAA Tournament consistently, then I will gladly share your enthusiasm. Until then, I believe you are looking at the program through these glasses.
878d38b7508e606fe1d7c5395e46c2a6--ray-ban-wayfarer-sunglasses-tom-ford-sunglasses.jpg

Negative? Show me the results and then you can talk about how good the program is. You are talking about a team that lost to Rider and was .500 in the B10. They do what they do every year, have losses against teams they should beat and have a couple of unexpected wins to give people hope.

The team lost their best player and leading scorer and some on here are talking about how great their unranked recruit may be. When PSU actually plays a decent out of conference schedule and has a winning record in the B10 (which they haven't done under Chambers) on a regular basis, and makes the NCAA Tournament consistently, then I will gladly share your enthusiasm. Until then, I believe you are looking at the program through these glasses.
So, you are a be sarcastic and down on the program until they start winning? Is that not the definition of a fair-weather fan? A band-wagoner?

Losses that should have been wins happen to everyone at times - find me a program who is not susceptible to an upset. This coming OOC is not bad, 2 years ago the OOC was good. The team has definitely progressed over the past decade - it is tough to deny that. We are finally reaching stability about finishing over .500 overall - .500 in conference, annually, will come. We are making progression towards that point and finally building and opening up some pipelines so the NCAA tourney doesn't only come once in the blue moon when we get lucky on some players (aka Tim Frazier being the #1 player in Texas) or have a senior-laden team.

You can not consistently win with recruiting random players from around the country and not having a pipe-line. PC has been building pipelines into the DMV area and Philly. That is something ED and Dunn were not able to do. Pat is on the verge of something with what he is building. He is not a coach who is going to come in here and turn it around in 5 years, that's just not the way that building genuine relationships works. But what he is building is also something that is not going to fall apart in year or two because a class graduated and the cupboard is empty.

Was TC our best player? We will see, but I am hesitant to give him that label. Heck, I was talking to a B10 MBB official at the gym who confidently claims that TC was not the best player on our roster.

So, you are a be sarcastic and down on the program until they start winning? Is that not the definition of a fair-weather fan? A band-wagoner?

Losses that should have been wins happen to everyone at times - find me a program who is not susceptible to an upset. This coming OOC is not bad, 2 years ago the OOC was good. The team has definitely progressed over the past decade - it is tough to deny that. We are finally reaching stability about finishing over .500 overall - .500 in conference, annually, will come. We are making progression towards that point and finally building and opening up some pipelines so the NCAA tourney doesn't only come once in the blue moon when we get lucky on some players (aka Tim Frazier being the #1 player in Texas) or have a senior-laden team.

You can not consistently win with recruiting random players from around the country and not having a pipe-line. PC has been building pipelines into the DMV area and Philly. That is something ED and Dunn were not able to do. Pat is on the verge of something with what he is building. He is not a coach who is going to come in here and turn it around in 5 years, that's just not the way that building genuine relationships works. But what he is building is also something that is not going to fall apart in year or two because a class graduated and the cupboard is empty.

Was TC our best player? We will see, but I am hesitant to give him that label. Heck, I was talking to a B10 MBB official at the gym who confidently claims that TC was not the best player on our roster.
Great. Let's see how the season plays out. Hope you are right.

As for sarcastic, nope. As for being realistic, yep. Chambers is lucky that expectations for PSU bb are much lower than football.

By the way, I'm not in the camp that Chambers should be fired or that he isn't a good coach. I'm in the camp that that the program needs to show progress and consistency b/f I take this program seriously.

Great. Let's see how the season plays out. Hope you are right.

As for sarcastic, nope. As for being realistic, yep. Chambers is lucky that expectations for PSU bb are much lower than football.

By the way, I'm not in the camp that Chambers should be fired or that he isn't a good coach. I'm in the camp that that the program needs to show progress and consistency b/f I take this program seriously.
You just need to pay closer attention, that's all. You'll see the improvements taking place.

You are clueless... chambers has recruited better than any other coach in PSU history. Also, guess which basketball coach was listed among the top ten coaches at developing talent? When evaluating progress, you have to recognize the starting point.

Reactions: 1 and johnmpsu
Chambers had done a great job considering the obstacles. He is such value which is hard to come by in collegiate sports. Hard worker and a great rep for the university. He is recruiting better and better. The team is as good as it’s ever been. Another very good class coming in next year.

Chambers had done a great job considering the obstacles. He is such value which is hard to come by in collegiate sports. Hard worker and a great rep for the university. He is recruiting better and better. The team is as good as it’s ever been. Another very good class coming in next year.
But this can’t be true because Chambers hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament...

That still is a negative. No two ways about it. I agree with everything Ian said, but it is still disappointing that we have not made the tournament as long as Chambers has been here. Things are definitely looking up, though.

CLIMB. WITH. US. :eek:

The funny thing is, if a coach came in and made it to the NCAA his first two seasons with another coach's players, and then failed to make it the next 5 years, but was recruiting at Chambers's level during it, I think that a lot of these gripers would be singing praises. They just enjoy pointing out in every MBB thread that it's "no NCAA's in X years (and, frankly, there is not much of a difference between the 2 scenarios)."

BTW, if the criteria to dance THIS year was used last year, PSU would have made the dance (as their play showed that they should have). There is a more in-depth analysis of it on PennStateHoops,com

Reactions: Ranger Dan
The funny thing is, if a coach came in and made it to the NCAA his first two seasons with another coach's players, and then failed to make it the next 5 years, but was recruiting at Chambers's level during it, I think that a lot of these gripers would be singing praises. They just enjoy pointing out in every MBB thread that it's "no NCAA's in X years (and, frankly, there is not much of a difference between the 2 scenarios)."

BTW, if the criteria to dance THIS year was used last year, PSU would have made the dance (as their play showed that they should have). There is a more in-depth analysis of it on PennStateHoops,com

It's not the only measure of success for a program's coach. Chambers took over a really bad program, one of the worst in the P5. They were coming off of an NCAA tournament, but the cupboard was really empty. He developed the best rising junior on that team, and he is in the NBA now. Then, he took recruiting to a level we have never seen at PSU, despite what anyone says. I watched the DePaul game. Really a disappointing loss, and one of the freshmen was not playing smart at all. But that said, I have never, ever seen true freshmen with that level of talent at PSU. Frankly, I have no idea how he is pulling this off.

The absolute ceiling for DeChellis was making an NCAA tournament every four years. For Chambers, it is much higher. He is pretty close to breaking through.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT