ADVERTISEMENT

Mauti - More sense than Jay. Mauti for BOT (link)

I suppose you could try to ask Dabo, Day, Saban, and Smart....surly they could offer an opinion on the needs for championship level football?

Dabo will tell you that he needs a slide, putt-putt course, and a bunch of nappie pods.

In all seriousness, the difference here is that those other places can pay for the coaches' toys without putting their universities in hock, while PSU can't.

Dabo will tell you that he needs a slide, putt-putt course, and a bunch of nappie pods.

In all seriousness, the difference here is that those other places can pay for the coaches' toys without putting their universities in hock, while PSU can't.

Sure, but why? Because we have 31 sports and 6,725 Assistant athletic department salaries to support? Because Barron wants a museum for legacy purposes? Because our non-revenue producing swim team needs a new "excellence in aquatics" Olympic pool? Don't tell me we are not charging enough tuition(for an decreasingly valuable education). If you want a championship level team, you need championship level support. If we don't want to play that game, then fine, stop paying your head coach $6M and your OC $1.2M. We can just go back to being a great school....with an underfunded average(sometimes above average) football team and let Franklin walk while screaming "enough is enough."

Does anybody have any perspective on whether significant FB facilities upgrades are truly necessary? I honestly don't...but Isn't this what all coaches do everywhere - they lobby for more and more $? Lasch was refurbished recently. I believe Holuba had some recent upgrades. Athletics rents a helicopter for JF's recruiting visits. He's making what, $6M / year? How much is enough?

From my understanding, the current programs (stadium, practice facilities, training facilities) in place could get "fast-forwarded" with an influx of cash. On top of this, I would imagine the dorms/appartments that the players reside in are outdated and, frankly, dumps at this point. It's hard to recruit a kid and his family when the place they'll be living isn't up to standards compared to other schools.

Also, I think Franklin would like an even bigger budget for his coaching staff/salaries - we've made some progress there, but it's essential to keep guys like Seider, Yurcich, Stubbs, Pry, Dex for longer periods of time. And even when these guys do leave for promotions, we need to be able to hit on top candidates to replace them. BOB going to Bama, and Elijah Robinson staying at A&M are top of mind examples. Also, remember when OSU had Urban, Day, and Kevin Wilson all running the offense? Or Joe Brady + Ensminger at LSU in 2019?

Franklin has all the resources he needs to get the job done. The problem is he just isn't that good of a coach to get it done at Penn State.

From my understanding, the current programs (stadium, practice facilities, training facilities) in place could get "fast-forwarded" with an influx of cash. On top of this, I would imagine the dorms/appartments that the players reside in are outdated and, frankly, dumps at this point. It's hard to recruit a kid and his family when the place they'll be living isn't up to standards compared to other schools.

Also, I think Franklin would like an even bigger budget for his coaching staff/salaries - we've made some progress there, but it's essential to keep guys like Seider, Yurcich, Stubbs, Pry, Dex for longer periods of time. And even when these guys do leave for promotions, we need to be able to hit on top candidates to replace them. BOB going to Bama, and Elijah Robinson staying at A&M are top of mind examples. Also, remember when OSU had Urban, Day, and Kevin Wilson all running the offense? Or Joe Brady + Ensminger at LSU in 2019?

The football program generates enough cash to do all of those things, but PSU opts to spend it on other things, and you want the JoeBots, as you derisively refer to them, to take up the slack?

He voted against football upgrades as a direct slap in the face to Franklin. Let's not act like he didn't. Jay has influence with the JoeBots. The same people that are withholding funds from the program.

Either you with Franklin, or you're not. And if he leaves for more money and resources, you can thank those same people when we're stuck with 7-5 seasons and dud like Moorhead driving the ship.
Who cares how Jay voted? Dont forget he is ONE of about 30 BOT members. If his last name was not Paterno this would not be a thread.

The bottom line it was approved by nearly 80% of the BOT! Do you really think at LSU and USC they have 100% YES votes for every football project that goes in front of their BOT's? NO!

So PLEASE let's try to not use the excuse that a small percentage of BOTS members not voting YES every time the football program asks for more money, means he "does not have the resources". WTF does "does not have the resources mean" compared to other schools?

I challenge anyone to list for me the school that have given more "Resources" to their head coach and please define HOW you quantified their resources as being more than what Franklin has. I bet you can not name more than a very few.

FACT the last several USC coaches all make much less than Franklin and their facilities are WAY behind Penn State's. Odd facts the media never points outs, but some how he would get more "Resources" at USC? What are those resources? . Plus USC offers ZERO real home field advantage ( no ones goes to any USC game unless they are playing Notre Dame or UCLA), so you can not sell the atmosphere like you can at Penn State. There are USC game with 10,000 people in attendance and that is no joke. There are 10,000 people just tailgating outside the stadium against Villanova.

Plus the media glosses over the fact that no coach will never be able to replicate the same interests USC did when Pete was coaching there because when Pete was coaching their you had 0, NONE, NADA NFL teams in LA, so they had the market all to themselves. Now with 2 good NFL teams, with star QB's, the focus on football is going to be fragmented.

As for the leaving to avoid Ohio State argument, Hello !!!! why do we gloss over Urban Meyer is NO longer coaching at OSU. Day though a good coach is not on Meyer's level. I want to see what OSU looks like 2 years from now when all of Meyers recruits cycle out. No reason Franklin can not close the gap.

Who cares how Jay voted? Dont forget he is ONE of about 30 BOT members. If his last name was not Paterno this would not be a thread.

The bottom line it was approved by nearly 80% of the BOT! Do you really think at LSU and USC they have 100% YES votes for every football project that goes in front of their BOT's? NO!

So PLEASE let's try to not use the excuse that a small percentage of BOTS members not voting YES every time the football program asks for more money, means he "does not have the resources". WTF does "does not have the resources mean" compared to other schools?

I challenge anyone to list for me the school that have given more "Resources" to their head coach and please define HOW you quantified their resources as being more than what Franklin has. I bet you can not name more than a very few.

FACT the last several USC coaches all make much less than Franklin and their facilities are WAY behind Penn State's. Odd facts the media never points outs, but some how he would get more "Resources" at USC? What are those resources? . Plus USC offers ZERO real home field advantage ( no ones goes to any USC game unless they are playing Notre Dame or UCLA), so you can not sell the atmosphere like you can at Penn State. There are USC game with 10,000 people in attendance and that is no joke. There are 10,000 people just tailgating outside the stadium against Villanova.

Plus the media glosses over the fact that no coach will never be able to replicate the same interests USC did when Pete was coaching there because when Pete was coaching their you had 0, NONE, NADA NFL teams in LA, so they had the market all to themselves. Now with 2 good NFL teams, with star QB's, the focus on football is going to be fragmented.

As for the leaving to avoid Ohio State argument, Hello !!!! why do we gloss over Urban Meyer is NO longer coaching at OSU. Day though a good coach is not on Meyer's level. I want to see what OSU looks like 2 years from now when all of Meyers recruits cycle out. No reason Franklin can not close the gap.
^^OK, Scott^^

Well, according to Brandon Short people aren't donating as much because of how PSU treated and continues to treat Paterno. Perhaps the PSU administration should consider addressing the root cause of the problem.

Can't wait to get flagged by IT over that sig pic. Full nudity now? really?

Franklin isn't leaving for USC. You're right, USC doesn't have cash flow nor the resources.

But LSU does in fact have more cash flow/resources than PSU. They were paying Coach O (yes, Coach O) 9 million dollars a year - the only higher paid coach was Saban. They also just dished out close to 17 million in buyout dollars to part ways with him. They will pay their next coach ~9 million and barely blink an eye doing so. They also give blank checks when it comes to assistants - look at Aranda, Brady, Ensminger all over 1.5 million as coordinators in 2019. LSU and a handful of others Bama, Clemson, OSU, Georgia, Florida have more money than god being pumped into their football programs. Nobody has to "challenge" your post, these are the facts. It's why Franklin and his agent are working so hard to even the playing field.

Look, if you want PSU to legitimately compete for the playoff/Natty year after year, then we need more support of the program from a budget and donor perspective. If a certain segment wants to spout off "I'm not ponying up or supporting until Joe gets his due with PSU" then they can do what they want. But they also can't be the ones complaining about 9-3 or 10-2 and an annual loss to a team that spends more than us.

I know I'll get blasted for this, but what happened to Joe was 10 years ago. Nobody currently involved in the school/program/athletic department was around at the time. I'm sure they have an opinion on the matter, but I doubt they care enough to do anything about it. CJF is included. I have a younger cousin that's a freshman right now - he was 8 years old when the scandal happened. He doesn't care about it. You can be Paterno supporter and a current football program supporter at the same time. CJF had nothing to do with any of that garbage. He just wants to win.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Well, according to Brandon Short people aren't donating as much because of how PSU treated and continues to treat Paterno. Perhaps the PSU administration should consider addressing the root cause of the problem.
1000%
I’ll gladly give again once they fix it. Until then, nope.

Reactions: doctornick
I have not read all the comments, but will.

While I don’t think the checkbook for football should be limitless, the money being spent on a f n museum would be much better spent on football program that actually has a ROI that helps community and university.

Last edited:
You're learning. Always knew you were capable, Bob.
images

^^OK, Scott^^

He's right. As an aside, unanimous votes are for idiots. When I was on the board for our company credit union I often used to vote no just to remind people how easy it is to do, even if I agreed with the project/proposal. Emphasizing unanimity and consensus has the (cough) unintended side effect of stifling often debate, especially when it's needed most.

Last edited:
They'll probably shut down the board over it

I am going down in a blaze of glory.

P.S. - Don't tell fastlax that he can turn off the sig pics. Besides, it's already too late for him to avoid the Gruden treatment.

I have not read all the comments, but will.

While I don’t think the checkbook for football should be limitless, the money being spent on a f n museum would be much better spent on football program that actually has a ROI that helps community and university.

A big problem that I have with the museum is the $4mm taken from the Athletic Department to fund plans for it. This is the first I can recollect of the veil between the University and the Athletic Department being pierced. And that hole goes both ways. So if we reach a point where the Athletic Department can't service it's debt to the University, PSU becomes just like Rutgers and Pitt where the cost winds up on tuition bills. That may happen sooner than we think.

Reactions: RGWhirly

If you think football doesn't impact the bottom line at universities you should find a new hobby. Nice reasoning, Jay, on down voting football enhancements.
Something that is 'free'...very little or no additional cost, work better with what you have. better coaching of fundamentals and game day coaching-supposed 'givens'...win more of the games that get decided with these things vs taking an arms race approach to college football. Worry about being consistent with your play at or below your current level before aspiring-not underperforming. I put Wisconsin, Iowa, and even Auburn at or below as far as resources...possibly Michigan and Michigan State the same, only Ohio State with consistent superior recruiting and facilities...up in the air on coaching-they possibly pay much more, one of which we showed the door to-and who recruited and developed another handful of high first round DL since his departure....
My bottom line...work and do more with what you have already...although I realize this is probably an unpopular and greatly minority position.

A couple of thoughts from an old guy ...

Joe Paterno's Football Program was a significant factor in establishing Penn State as a top notch research university with a national reputation. That program functioned as a bare bones operation (relatively speaking) because Joe kept things in line. He had loyal, long term assistants who were probably underpaid and Joe certainly could have sucked more dollars from the school than he did. He was a child of the early/mid 1900s.

Joe also had impact in university fundraising. He knew what he could do and he did it, arm-in-arm with the university's administration.

James Franklin has done the tour in his coaching career. He knows what he is up against and the internet certainly displays the largesse in athletic facilities at schools that annually are in the playoff conversation. The man wants elite status at PSU and is aware that he needs more to get there.

That sleepy hamlet in Central PA is no more. Franklin's football program's success sells PSU nationally and deserves the best available.

Of course, the 80 million dollar art museum can do the same (?).

All they need to do is get more out-of-state students to pay full price plus to find more dollars for the largesse. The local kids have to find alternatives for higher education.
sadly, there is a lot of truth in this- of course, the University is supposed to exist to educate the children of Pennsylvania- so let's admit that the whole "education" thing is a sham

Reactions: 91Joe95
There is enough bullshit spread in this thread to fertilize every farmable acre in Pennsylvania.
1. In the last years of Joe's life, no one and I mean no one every mentioned Jay Paterno as the HC in waiting. Perhaps fanboys did....but the discussions around the program were centered on which influential trustees supported Scrap and those that leaned LJ. It is known that the summer before Joe's final season....a certain trustee called to gauge the interest of Mike London (yep) at Virginia. Evidence that Joe had indeed shared with certain trustees that 2011 would be his last.

2. I'm wondering what evidence we have that Lavar Arrington would have a better perspective than Jay Paterno on what's best for PSU? How long was Lavar Arrington actually on campus? How many years since he spent more than a few days here? Why do we assume that Jay has nefarious goals and reasons for his decisions, but Lavar is a true blue 100% selfless warrior for "dear old State?"

3. I am a proud JoeBot, yet I am often taken to task for my staunch defense of James Franklin. So I really have to question the IQ of anyone who makes statements like " you are either for (behind) James Franklin or you are against him....LOL

4. My impression of James Franklin is that he is a principled, thoughtful and dynamic leader. A man who is more than capable of representing himself. My opinion of him would be somewhat diminished if he was secretly encouraging Lavar Arrington to be his spear.

5. No one has ever presented one ounce of evidence that there is any animosity or acrimony between any member of the Paterno Family and the Franklin Family. I find this sort of speculation to be counterproductive and frankly detrimental to the PSU football program.

6. Jay Paterno is a member of the board of trustees because he was elected by his constituency, the alums of the university. If they don't like what he's doing, can retire him when his term expires. Note to stupid fanboys (worse than just normal fanboys) It would behoove you to look at the trustees who are not duly elected by alums if you have a beef with university governance.

Glad LaVar said that publicly. 😞 If he thinks he can force things to change by going public, he’s probably wrong.
IDK...the 11/9.11 BOT home-grown terrorists went to great lengths with the fact-Freeh report, collusion with NCAA and Big10, etc. to force things by going public with a false narrative...and they did force things...the wrong things....

There is enough bullshit spread in this thread to fertilize every farmable acre in Pennsylvania.
1. In the last years of Joe's life, no one and I mean no one every mentioned Jay Paterno as the HC in waiting. Perhaps fanboys did....but the discussions around the program were centered on which influential trustees supported Scrap and those that leaned LJ. It is known that the summer before Joe's final season....a certain trustee called to gauge the interest of Mike London (yep) at Virginia. Evidence that Joe had indeed shared with certain trustees that 2011 would be his last.

2. I'm wondering what evidence we have that Lavar Arrington would have a better perspective than Jay Paterno on what's best for PSU? How long was Lavar Arrington actually on campus? How many years since he spent more than a few days here? Why do we assume that Jay has nefarious goals and reasons for his decisions, but Lavar is a true blue 100% selfless warrior for "dear old State?"

3. I am a proud JoeBot, yet I am often taken to task for my staunch defense of James Franklin. So I really have to question the IQ of anyone who makes statements like " you are either for (behind) James Franklin or you are against him....LOL

4. My impression of James Franklin is that he is a principled, thoughtful and dynamic leader. A man who is more than capable of representing himself. My opinion of him would be somewhat diminished if he was secretly encouraging Lavar Arrington to be his spear.

5. No one has ever presented one ounce of evidence that there is any animosity or acrimony between any member of the Paterno Family and the Franklin Family. I find this sort of speculation to be counterproductive and frankly detrimental to the PSU football program.

6. Jay Paterno is a member of the board of trustees because he was elected by his constituency, the alums of the university. If they don't like what he's doing, can retire him when his term expires. Note to stupid fanboys (worse than just normal fanboys) It would behoove you to look at the trustees who are not duly elected by alums if you have a beef with university governance.

Obviously LaVar is more qualified than Jay. Consider the following:

1. LaVar player in the NFL.
2. LaVar leapt over the Illinois offensive line to make a tackle.
3. They blame Jay.

Case closed.

Reactions: marshall23
IDK...the 11/9.11 BOT home-grown terrorists went to great lengths with the fact-Freeh report, collusion with NCAA and Big10, etc. to force things by going public with a false narrative...and they did force things...the wrong things....

Sadly, that’s the point. The bot is in control and is spiteful. Nothing may convince the bot to prioritize football expenditures the way some would like, but I highly doubt LaVar calling out the school publicly will have the desired effect.

There is enough JoeBot bullshit spread in your post to fertilize every farmable acre in Pennsylvania.

Nobody is saying that this is a Joe-supporter vs. Franklin-supporter scenario. But the old heads that refuse to "pony up" and financially support the program today, because of what happened ten years ago, are in fact, taking it out on Franklin and the current regime. The JoeBots need to die off so we can get back to winning again.

Outside of "not doing more" (Paterno's words, not mine), he also handicapped the football program by ignoring the current college football landscape and falling WAY behind on facilities, housing, amenities, recruiting, etc.

Jay's vote-against + the sad, downcast article on why are a direct reflection of his need for attention in the PSU community in the aftermath of the scandal. The guy also lost it all. Did you ever read his letter Urban Meyer looking for employment? Pathetic. And his reasoning of investing in other areas of the university post covid was disingenuous and deflective. It's 2021 at a major Big Ten University - you invest in the school by investing in it's (and the community"s) most valued assets - the football program AND the current most market-valued head coach outside of Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney.

It's time to move on. And luckily, there are some signs that we're making progress in these areas, or just moving on from trying to drill old expired land, and moving to a more progressive donor base.

Reactions: ram2020
Sadly, that’s the point. The bot is in control and is spiteful. Nothing may convince the bot to prioritize football expenditures the way some would like, but I highly doubt LaVar calling out the school publicly will have the desired effect.
Okay, Bob, whata re you advocating here? The way things presently work at PSU is that the Athletic Department is "self-funding." So the budget, whether operating or capital, is set by Ms. You-Know-Who and (presumably) reviewed and approved by the BoT (if it ain't we got bigger problems). Are you suggesting that the BoT direct Ms. Excellence to adjust her priorities, with more money allocated to the football program (good idea). Or are you looking for the BoT to come up with funding outside of the Athletic Department i.e. mandatory fees levied on the students (not such a good idea)?

Clemson: Best facilities - not ranked
LSU: Best facilities - not ranked
Michigan: “Much better facilities than PSU” - ranked (one spot) ahead of us for the first time since…
Bama: Great facilities. How do they pay for it?
Me: PSU Ag major - Do I get a cut of the Tombros donation?

Reactions: 91Joe95
Okay, Bob, whata re you advocating here? The way things presently work at PSU is that the Athletic Department is "self-funding." So the budget, whether operating or capital, is set by Ms. You-Know-Who and (presumably) reviewed and approved by the BoT (if it ain't we got bigger problems). Are you suggesting that the BoT direct Ms. Excellence to adjust her priorities, with more money allocated to the football program (good idea). Or are you looking for the BoT to come up with funding outside of the Athletic Department i.e. mandatory fees levied on the students (not such a good idea)?
@BobPSU92

Don't worry, Bob. There is no right answer. Enjoy the process. I don't think anyone's used the Socratic method for pedagogical purposes on this board before. And to think it's almost toast. Sad.

Marcello_Bacciarelli_-_Alcibiades_Being_Taught_by_Socrates_1776-77.jpg

There is enough JoeBot bullshit spread in your post to fertilize every farmable acre in Pennsylvania.

Nobody is saying that this is a Joe-supporter vs. Franklin-supporter scenario. But the old heads that refuse to "pony up" and financially support the program today, because of what happened ten years ago, are in fact, taking it out on Franklin and the current regime. The JoeBots need to die off so we can get back to winning again.

Outside of "not doing more" (Paterno's words, not mine), he also handicapped the football program by ignoring the current college football landscape and falling WAY behind on facilities, housing, amenities, recruiting, etc.

Jay's vote-against + the sad, downcast article on why are a direct reflection of his need for attention in the PSU community in the aftermath of the scandal. The guy also lost it all. Did you ever read his letter Urban Meyer looking for employment? Pathetic. And his reasoning of investing in other areas of the university post covid was disingenuous and deflective. It's 2021 at a major Big Ten University - you invest in the school by investing in it's (and the community"s) most valued assets - the football program AND the current most market-valued head coach outside of Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney.

It's time to move on. And luckily, there are some signs that we're making progress in these areas, or just moving on from trying to drill old expired land, and moving to a more progressive donor base.
WHY don't you move on by bending down and ramming your head up your ass. But thanks for wishing us to die off ass wipe.

Your "more progressive" donor base is saddled with educational debt and living in their parent's basements.

The holders of substantial donatable wealth are still pissed at two things: (1) How the BOT treated Joe and (2) the current piss-poor administration of PSU (especially fiscal).

The BOT is too arrogant to recognize that they need to correct their misdeeds (past and present) before they can collectively and effectively "move forward".

P.S. You sound like some goofy, recently-minted Petroleum Engineer.

Last edited:
Clemson: Best facilities - not ranked
LSU: Best facilities - not ranked
Michigan: “Much better facilities than PSU” - ranked (one spot) ahead of us for the first time since…
Bama: Great facilities. How do they pay for it?
Me: PSU Ag major - Do I get a cut of the Tombros donation?

Huh? I thought you were a marine biologist. "The seas were angry that day, my friends".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT