ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Allyn article: 50 Best Beers in 50 States

Bottles get a nasty taste around the cap, you don’t get that in cans.

Cold numbs your taste buds. So only bad beer should be served in a cold glass... so you can’t taste it.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

And, you WERE showing so much progress.

Damn your regressions sir.

Beer + Frosted Mug = Heaven sent.

I'll grade you on the curve but just this once.

Must be the heat or sunstroke.

:):eek::eek::eek::)

Another dark beer drinker here. If you ever get to Fayetteville NC, go to dirtbag ales. Their cold brew mocha porter is GREAT, and their blood orange kolsch is great on a hot day. My favorite in Raleigh is Lynwood brewing concern’s deez coconutz porter. Great stuff

The blood orange kolsch sounds awesome.
When I was making my own the kolsch and heffe’s were my favorite

Reactions: nittanyfan333
https://www.menshealth.com/trending-news/a19538137/beer-myths-busted/

MYTH #1: Beer is best served as cold as possible
FACT: Flavor emerges with a bit of warmth

We’ve been duped by the Big Beer’s ad campaigns. Consider the ice-frosted mugs, ubiquitous use of the phrase “ice cold,” or—perhaps most obnoxious—Coors Light’s “cold-activated” bottles and cans. (When the beer is cold enough, the mountains on the label “activate” by morphing from white to blue.) Fellas, this is ruining otherwise good beer.

“You lose aromatics when you serve beer too cold,” says Dave Engbers, co-owner of Founders Brewing Co., adding that beer is best consumed between 46 and 50°F.

“Typically beer is dispensed from the draft line between 38 and 42 degrees,” he says. “So just cup the glass for a couple minutes with your hands and you’ll warm it to the right temperature.”

Then you’ll actually taste beer—not the taste-bud numbing effect of near-frozen liquid.

MYTH #2: Bottled beer is better than canned beer
FACT: Nothing maintains freshness as well as a can

There are two primary concerns with storing beer in bottles: oxygen and light. “Bottles aren’t perfect,” says Charles Bamforth, Ph.D., author and professor of malting and brewing sciences at The University of California-Davis. “With time, oxygen coming in under the cap will make your beer taste like cardboard, and light coming in through the glass will turn it skunky.”

The worst bottles are those with clear glass (like Corona’s) and twist-off caps (like nearly every mass-market American lager). “Sealed aluminum is just better at keeping out oxygen and light,” he says.

Don’t like the feel of the can? Fine—just pour the brew into a glass. That’s the best way to consume good beer anyway.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
I totally agree with beer drinking from a glass being superior to drinking straight from the bottle or straight from the can. But, we've all consumed beer right out of a bottle and/or a can. Think of being at a picnic or somewhere where it's not always convenient to put your beer into a glass.

If I'm at a picnic, and I stick my hand into a cooler full of bottled beer, canned beer, and ice cubes, then I'm pulling out a glass bottle of beer, instead of a can. At that point, I'm not thinking about the benefits of a dark can vs. a clear glass bottle, etc, etc. I just want my lips on smooth glass rather than metal; plain and simple. A person is always not necessarily trying to create the perfect environment to consume a beer. If you're at home drinking, then yes, use a glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
I totally agree with beer drinking from a glass being superior to drinking straight from the bottle or straight from the can. But, we've all consumed beer right out of a bottle and/or a can. Think of being at a picnic or somewhere were it's not always convenient to put your beer into a glass.

If I'm at a picnic, and I stick my hand into a cooler full of bottled beer, canned beer, and ice cubes, then I'm pulling out a glass bottle of beer, instead of a can. At that point, I'm not thinking about the benefits of a dark can vs. a clear glass bottle, etc, etc. I just want my lips on smooth glass rather than metal; plain and simple. A person is always not necessarily trying to create the perfect environment to consume a beer. If you're at home drinking, then yes, use a glass.

Even if I can't pour into a solo cup, I'm still going for the can. Bottles get a nasty taste from stuff around the cap. If I absolutely had to drink out of a bottle, I'd have to wipe where the cap was. Try it sometime, you'd be surprised at how much crap you'll wipe off. Maybe not from mass produced racing beer, but definitely from craft.

This is especially true if you don't know long they've had their beer sitting around. Chances are the can is the freshest. The truth is, I never need a beer that bad that I'd be willing to drink a shitty one.

Last edited:
Beer and Wine, for me, are "seasonal". Stouts and heavy darker beers are my choice for fall and winter but once spring and summer roll around I'm all for the Heffe's, Lagers and Blanc's.
For me, in the summer, it's Koelsch--if you can find it. Only problem is that most versions in the US tend to be overly hopped.

Reactions: BBrown
I totally agree with beer drinking from a glass being superior to drinking straight from the bottle or straight from the can. But, we've all consumed beer right out of a bottle and/or a can. Think of being at a picnic or somewhere where it's not always convenient to put your beer into a glass.

If I’m buying for a picnic, I become more willing to go with bottles too and I’m more comfortable with colder. But then the beer is far less important to the experience. Then I’m just having “a cold one.” And I’d MUCH rather have “a cold one” at a picnic from a bottle than a can (and wiping the mouth is about as automatic as enjoying what follows.)

Otherwise, it’s not close to freezing, it’s from a poured glass and likely came out of a can.

Reactions: aferrelli
The metallic taste is in your head, it’s not the 1970s anymore. All beer should be poured into the appropriate glass regardless of what it was packaged in. Cans keep more oxygen out, and keep all light all. Cans are far superior.

Correct. Most all of the craft brewers have now gone to cans, for these reasons.

Personally, I missed the good ole' beer can. For years, only crappy beer was sold in cans. Now the script has flipped. Oskar Blues gets a lot of the credit for that.

DON'T FEEL LIKE GOING THROUGH ALL THE SCREENS - WHAT WAS THE #1 PA BEER...ANYONE?

DON'T FEEL LIKE GOING THROUGH ALL THE SCREENS - WHAT WAS THE #1 PA BEER...ANYONE?

As I scrolled through the list, I couldn't help but chuckle at how terrible some of the choices are. Tired Hands is overrated hipster garbage. As for the other list, Beaver Brewing isn't even the best Brewery in the tiny town of Beaver Falls.

SaisonHands Farmhouse Ale
The brewers at Tired Hands sought to recreate the original farmhouse ales, combining barley, rye, oats, and wheat in the grainbill and a touch of wild yeast. The result sates any and all thirst while also satisfying curious palates.

Honorable mentions: Funk Send It! Wheat Ale, Stoudt's Pils
pennsylvania-tired-hands-brewing-company-1527020607.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT