ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Allyn article: 50 Best Beers in 50 States

I've lived in Maryland for over a decade, and have never heard of RAR brewing company
You are missing out. Some of my favorite MD beer are from RAR especially the 10 layers (and it's varieties) and First Meal.

They are based in Cambridge (eastern shore) and are relatively new (opened in 2013) which is maybe why you haven't heard of them.

You can find their stuff throughout the DMV. I highly recommend.

You are missing out. Some of my favorite MD beer are from RAR especially the 10 layers (and it's varieties) and First Meal.

They are based in Cambridge (eastern shore) and are relatively new (opened in 2013) which is maybe why you haven't heard of them.

You can find their stuff throughout the DMV. I highly recommend.

I'll have to look for them next time I stock up

There is a time and place for Guinness but the world of beer is so much more varied these days. Would you eat the same meal for dinner every day?

The best guinness I've ever had, probably not surprisingly, was in Ireland for the PSU game. Some french restaurant stood up a cheesesteak stand (and the poor woman had no idea what a cheesesteak was, yet there they were selling cheesesteaks) right at the start of the Temple Bar area. Me and my buddy figured that and a Guinness at the first bar we came to was better than fighting the mob of fans further into the district.

Reactions: Nitwit and TheGLOV
There is a time and place for Guinness but the world of beer is so much more varied these days. Would you eat the same meal for dinner every day?
No and I don’t drink the same wine either. But the names of most of these concoctions imply that it’s all in the marketing and labeling, and aimed at a demographic I have little in common with. I like to think I enjoy the classics - in food, wine, cocktails, and even beer. I do enjoy some variety but these seem too far over the top for me to bother with. I prefer the tried and true. Guinness is the beer you’ve been practicing for.

Read this about the beer they picked for Pennsylvania: This 1.5-barrel operation in Beaver Falls, just about a dozen miles from Pennsylvania’s western border, knows how to embrace the nano lifestyle. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, it was only able to squeak out a single barrel during its first year of production. The brewers have made up for it since, focusing on beers with unique flavorings like chamomile, pecan pie and, for the No. 1–selling beer, basil.

I like my beer to have beer in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
No and I don’t drink the same wine either. But the names of most of these concoctions imply that it’s all in the marketing and labeling, and aimed at a demographic I have little in common with. I like to think I enjoy the classics - in food, wine, cocktails, and even beer. I do enjoy some variety but these seem too far over the top for me to bother with. I prefer the tried and true. Guinness is the beer you’ve been practicing for.

Stouts are one of my favorite styles of beer (along with brown and porters).

Guinness, even as Irish stouts go, is pretty boring. It's very consistent and very drinkable, but there are other Irish stouts (including some made in the U.S.) that have much, much more character. And I'm not talking about flavored stouts; I'm talking about traditional dry Irish stouts like:

Beamish, O'Hara's, 3 Floyds Black Sun, North Coast's Old #38, Schlafly Nitro Stout, etc.

If I'm in the mood for a stout and Guinness is all the have on tap, I'll gladly drink it. But it's basically an "eh, I don't feel like drinking a lighter beer, so I don't have a choice."

But as will all things, to each his own. If you only want to drink Guinness, knock yourself out.

I'm sad to see so many fine beers in cans. Yeah, I know cans are cheaper than bottles; but I despise cans, and can't see paying $5+ for a can of beer.

What do others think of beer in a can? Does anyone prefer a can over a bottle?

Stouts are one of my favorite styles of beer (along with brown and porters).

Guinness, even as Irish stouts go, is pretty boring. It's very consistent and very drinkable, but there are other Irish stouts (including some made in the U.S.) that have much, much more character. And I'm not talking about flavored stouts; I'm talking about traditional dry Irish stouts like:

Beamish, O'Hara's, 3 Floyds Black Sun, North Coast's Old #38, Schlafly Nitro Stout, etc.

If I'm in the mood for a stout and Guinness is all the have on tap, I'll gladly drink it. But it's basically an "eh, I don't feel like drinking a lighter beer, so I don't have a choice."

But as will all things, to each his own. If you only want to drink Guinness, knock yourself out.

Beer and Wine, for me, are "seasonal". Stouts and heavy darker beers are my choice for fall and winter but once spring and summer roll around I'm all for the Heffe's, Lagers and Blanc's.

RAR is pretty great. Burly Oak does some quality stuff, too. They must not have had Union cause they are the best in the area.

The enemy of beer is light, so beer in cans will keep better than any bottle (even brown ones). Green glass is just the worst, so much skunking.

I'm sad to see so many fine beers in cans. Yeah, I know cans are cheaper than bottles; but I despise cans, and can't see paying $5+ for a can of beer.

Cans are just as good, if not better, than bottles these days.

Tip of the hat to Oskar Blues for making cans (and the crowler) trendy.

kitten-raising-paw-at-class.jpg

As long as it's poured into a cold glass. Too many loose bottle caps over the years for me.

Cans are just as good, if not better, than bottles these days.

Tip of the hat to Oskar Blues for making cans (and the crowler) trendy.
Ok, so why is a can good for you? I don't like the metallic taste associated with cans, and find the link between alzheimer's and aluminum to be disturbing and cautionary enough to not drink from cans.

picking a "best" beer in every state is like picking the "best" guitar player- stupid.

there are probably two dozen great beers in Maine alone, and that's not a huge state in terms of population

can a have their place. For example, I'm going to he sitting by the pool in palm springs all weekend. I want to drink some good beer while I'm doing it, and cans are the best option. Much easier than bottles and won't get me in trouble.

How's 13 for a can at Citifield?
I feel the same way about cabs as you do. Much prefer a cold bottle

I've drank my share of beer cans, but I just prefer bottles. The look, the feel, and the taste, all lean towards bottles with me. I guess I was a bottle baby a few years ago during my infancy. I know that I was never breast fed; maybe this is my big problem. lol

When you pour it in a glass as you should, it doesn't matter.

Frankly, bottles aren't really that great since you aren't getting the full aroma you would from a glass.

Is that going to be the case after the Baltimore spot is completely finished? I thought they were already making the blonde here.

I believe the Baltimore brewery is supposed to be the main Guinness brewery for the blond once it's up and running, as well as other beers (except for the stout). The only thing they're making now is some test beers on a small brewing system.

Reactions: BBrown
I believe the Baltimore brewery is supposed to be the main Guinness brewery for the blond once it's up and running, as well as other beers (except for the stout). The only thing they're making now is some test beers on a small brewing system.

Thanks I didn't know what @throw2oj meant.
Wow I didnt' know that was happening at all.
Its good for Balto but dang too bad for Latrobe.

https://www.newguinnessbrewery.com/

Another dark beer drinker here. If you ever get to Fayetteville NC, go to dirtbag ales. Their cold brew mocha porter is GREAT, and their blood orange kolsch is great on a hot day. My favorite in Raleigh is Lynwood brewing concern’s deez coconutz porter. Great stuff

Hate to burst your bubble, but canned beer is a superior delivery system. It staves off beer's number 1 enemy... light. It also packs, ships, and stores easier. If you are drinking the classic watered down pilsners like Coors Light, Miller Lite, and the likes, then sure, drinking it out of said delivery system is acceptable. However, any decent beer should be poured into a proper glass. It opens it up, eliminates the proper percentage of carbonation, and makes the beer much more enjoyable. I laugh when I see IPA newbies practically choke when the drink a hoppy IPA from a can. Hell, I can barely stomach one straight from the can. But pour it into a glass? Bam! Changes the beer COMPLETELY!

For years, my wife was a one brand beer drinker only.... Fat Tire. And she always drank it right out of the bottle. I finally trained her to pour her beer into a glass and what-do-you know, she has started enjoying a much broader range of beers, even IPAs.

Hate to burst your bubble, but canned beer is a superior delivery system. It staves off beer's number 1 enemy... light. It also packs, ships, and stores easier. If you are drinking the classic watered down pilsners like Coors Light, Miller Lite, and the likes, then sure, drinking it out of said delivery system is acceptable. However, any decent beer should be poured into a proper glass. It opens it up, eliminates the proper percentage of carbonation, and makes the beer much more enjoyable. I laugh when I see IPA newbies practically choke when the drink a hoppy IPA from a can. Hell, I can barely stomach one straight from the can. But pour it into a glass? Bam! Changes the beer COMPLETELY!

For years, my wife was a one brand beer drinker only.... Fat Tire. And she always drank it right out of the bottle. I finally trained her to pour her beer into a glass and what-do-you know, she has started enjoying a much broader range of beers, even IPAs.

...... can’t shotgun a bottled beer

Snob alert! Snob alert!

Ok, so why is a can good for you? I don't like the metallic taste associated with cans, and find the link between alzheimer's and aluminum to be disturbing and cautionary enough to not drink from cans.

The metallic taste is in your head, it’s not the 1970s anymore. All beer should be poured into the appropriate glass regardless of what it was packaged in. Cans keep more oxygen out, and keep all light all. Cans are far superior.

I've never noticed a metallic taste in cans. In fact I get that taste more in bottles.

As for that aluminum alzheimers link, that was debunked in the 1980s.

Bottles get a nasty taste around the cap, you don’t get that in cans.

kitten-raising-paw-at-class.jpg

As long as it's poured into a cold glass. Too many loose bottle caps over the years for me.

Cold numbs your taste buds. So only bad beer should be served in a cold glass... so you can’t taste it.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
ADVERTISEMENT