ADVERTISEMENT

Match Notes for Kent State

Schnupp has a reasonable chance of beating either of the guys he might face, especially if he has improved and/or grown.

Rooney looks a half-decent first test for RBY. He is 4-1 this season and was 30-14 last year though not a NQ at NCAAs. But RBY should be able to handle him fairly easily.

At 184, McNally is already 9-0 this year (won Clarion Open) and bonused in 8 of those matches. Last year he was 18-16. In the previous year, he was 21-6. So that's also a reasonable challenge for Shakur Rasheed's first match at the weight.

Word (rumor) is that Conel isn't going at 197, which would have been an interesting #1 vs. #2.

At 285, KSU's Boila lost to Seth Nevills (Nick's brother) at the Clarion Open in a 10-4 match. He is 5-3 this year and was 12-13 last year. I think everyone is interested to see how Cassar fares at this weight, especially with much bigger guys.

The other matches should end end in routs for PSU (majors, techs, pins).

Hmm, wrestle stat saying Rooney over RBY by major decision. I think they're way off on that. Won't be surprised to see the opposite result.

From KSU's website:

Kent State sophomore Andrew McNally (Uniontown, Ohio) was named Mid-American Conference Wrestler of the Week Wednesday. The 184-pound transfer from Eastern Michigan went 8-0 with seven bonus-point victories in his first weekend of competition.

On Friday, McNally went 3-0 at the Kent State Duals with a 16-0 tech fall, an 18-6 major decision and a pin in 33 seconds. The next day, McNally won a 184-pound title at the Clarion Open. He went 5-0 on Saturday with pins in his first three bouts against opponents from Cleveland State, Gardner Webb and Pitt.

Along with four pins in two days, McNally recorded his second major decision in two days, topping Clarion's Tyler Bagoly in the semifinals 13-5.

After a solid redshirt freshman season at 174, McNally worked hard in the weight room in the offseason for his new role at 184.

Hmm, wrestle stat saying Rooney over RBY by major decision. I think they're way off on that. Won't be surprised to see the opposite result.
Right. It's because Wrestle Stat doesn't (or can't) figure in how good redshirt guys are since high school performances are quantified.

The WrestleStat algorithm works for true freshmen only after they get approximately 15 matches under their belt, and more is better.

Thx for the clarification dmm53 and Roar. In such situations I wonder why Wrestle Stat doesn’t simply note that a projection is not yet possible rather than project a winner at all.

Reactions: ccdiver
Thx for the clarification dmm53 and Roar. In such situations I wonder why Wrestle Stat doesn’t simply note that a projection is not yet possible rather than project a winner at all.
Maybe an asterisk or something--but I don't mind always being able to access the results of the algorithm--even if it's only to illustrate its "growth areas." Sounds like @andegre worked on that logic a good bit recently to improve it.

Ready for andegre...3, 2, 1...seriously, at some point he'll be here to answer.

In the meantime, I'm glad everyone is included. Knowing this ranking tool, and a bit of the methodology behind it is key. Andegre makes no bones about this and is in education mode a good bit, mostly early seasons, as that's when the tool is least accurate (if there's anything accurate about ANY ranking). For more info, look up ELO, the ranking tool used for chess, of which andegre's work is modeled.

Reactions: dbldoofus
I know I'm THAT idiot who didn't take the time to read the media day comments, but why no Teske and Teasdale in the lineup so far?

I know I'm THAT idiot who didn't take the time to read the media day comments, but why no Teske and Teasdale in the lineup so far?

Cael indicated at presser the other day that those two will enter open tournaments and will hold off making decision (probably till after Scuffle)

In other words..he taking his time before burning a shirt

Tim's live update thread on Cael's presser is a really good and informative read. It has a lot of good info on 125, as well as 149 and heavy. If you have time, and it appears that you do, it's worth a read.

Cael indicated at presser the other day that those two will enter open tournaments and will hold off making decision (probably till after Scuffle)

In other words..he taking his time before burning a shirt

“ burning a shirt” ? Whats that mean?? Do you have a plan???

Reactions: diggerpup
Anyone know what time they'll be raising the Natty banner Sunday? I missed it last year for some unknown reason, and don't want to miss it this time.

Anyone know what time they'll be raising the Natty banner Sunday? I missed it last year for some unknown reason, and don't want to miss it this time.

I don't know the time but I'd assume we'll be seeing it raised by a certain 3 time champ. I also hope Cutch is there for that. I think he was a heck of a team player throughout his career.

Reactions: nerfstate
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT