ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland hires Locksley

What are they thinking? Locksley is a terrible hire for MD. Horrible record at NMSU, good coaches turn things around faster than that, terrible interim record at MD, apparent abuse baggage from NMSU.

Reactions: Bob78
Typical Maryland, bad hire, they don't get it. For whatever reason key donors love Locksley, they think he is going to save recruiting. Problem is, nobody gives a shyte about Maryland football in the DMV area, nobody goes to the games which is what in the long run helps get recruits.

Reactions: JJTopp99
What are they thinking? Locksley is a terrible hire for MD. Horrible record at NMSU, good coaches turn things around faster than that, terrible interim record at MD, apparent abuse baggage from NMSU.

He was at New Mexico not NMSU. I agree about the baggage. Not sure his record at New Mexico means much moving forward. He can sell recruits son his time at Bama. They won't care about his inability to win with New Mexico

He was at New Mexico not NMSU. I agree about the baggage. Not sure his record at New Mexico means much moving forward. He can sell recruits son his time at Bama. They won't care about his inability to win with New Mexico
And if PSU would have hired him you would be slamming PSU for the hire. Your act is getting old.

Reactions: 81b&w
And if PSU would have hired him you would be slamming PSU for the hire. Your act is getting old.

Maryland isn't Penn State. Of course I would have a different expectation for Penn State's decision on a HC than Maryland's. I already said I think they should have hired Canada. I don't expect Locksley to be a great hire but the fact he failed at New Mexico doesn't mean he shouldn't get a second chance somewhere. Your comment doesn't make any sense.

Maryland isn't Penn State. Of course I would have a different expectation for Penn State's decision on a HC than Maryland's. I already said I think they should have hired Canada. I don't expect Locksley to be a great hire but the fact he failed at New Mexico doesn't mean he shouldn't get a second chance somewhere. Your comment doesn't make any sense.
By all means let’s keep recycling poor football coaches. Second chances don’t usually work out very well. Good coaches win no matter where they’re at.

Honestly shocked that they went with Mike Locksley. Yes, he is about as good as it gets when it comes to recruiting... but he's 3-31 as a head coach and comes to Maryland with sooo much baggage after firing a coach for that exact same reason. More than one Big Ten coach filed ethics complaints about Locksley when he was at Illinois and signed star prospects like Arrelious Benn, Marvin Austin, etc. Too bad for Maryland. Their AD has been in the red for years, but you would figure their Big Ten revenues would afford them a chance to sign a legitimate rising star. I'd put the over/under on his time at Maryland at 3 years flat.

By all means let’s keep recycling poor football coaches. Second chances don’t usually work out very well. Good coaches win no matter where they’re at.

Great or elite coaches can win anywhere. Who do you really think Maryland's getting? They're either going to give a guy his first shot, allow Canada a chance to continue or give a guy a second shot. We know Locksley can recruit and having been on the Bama staff will only help him. Let's see what kind of staff he creates.

Locksley wouldn't have been my first pick but, unlike you, I don't see a problem giving a guy a second shot. Locksley going to New Mexico was dumb on his part. He need to stay where he had connections.

Great or elite coaches can win anywhere. Who do you really think Maryland's getting? They're either going to give a guy his first shot, allow Canada a chance to continue or give a guy a second shot. We know Locksley can recruit and having been on the Bama staff will only help him. Let's see what kind of staff he creates.

Locksley wouldn't have been my first pick but, unlike you, I don't see a problem giving a guy a second shot. Locksley going to New Mexico was dumb on his part. He need to stay where he had connections.
They would have been further ahead giving a new guy a shot.

The guy can recruit and will get some good kids from the fertile DMV area. The question is can he coach. Only time will tell.

The new guardian of Maryland's vaunted 0.060 all-time winning percentage against Penn State.

Agree that his stint at NM shouldn’t be held against him but how about his previous stint at MD?
He already got them in trouble recruiting wise
When he was asst. and he failed epically when he had his tryout as MD’s interim coach.
Just because he some staff flunky for Saban and Alabama doesn’t make him a good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT