ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Maryland Dual Discussion/PBP

Not sure I can get behind that you don’t try to pin. I mean he is probably a bit off that his guy tried to lay down to give up the tech but let’s be real here.

Reactions: danoftw
Carter is the post-match interview with Ironhead.

On Mesenbrink: He's always busy doing something. He sat next to Casey on the bus and talked his ear off the whole trip, thank goodness he wasn't sitting next to me!
Carter is opening it up even more this year, having not even spent an entire 7 minutes on the mat yet. MM and Carter seem to have the same style on the feet. Iron sharpens iron.

O'Toole-Ramirez

1st
A couple of attempts from both wrestlers. Good defense. 0-0

2nd
Ramirez starts down
Quick escape :14
Handfighting, tieups
Ramirez TD duckunder
O'Toole quick escape
O'Toole late single leg TD and rideout
4-4

3rd
O'Toole quick escape 5-4
O'Toole gets a TD and 2 back 10-4
Ramirez escape 10-5 30 seconds
O'Toole another low single TD 13-5 rideout

O'Toole MD Ramirez

O'Toole-Ramirez

1st
A couple of attempts from both wrestlers. Good defense. 0-0

2nd
Ramirez starts down
Quick escape :14
Handfighting, tieups
Ramirez TD duckunder
O'Toole quick escape
O'Toole late single leg TD and rideout
4-4

3rd
O'Toole quick escape 5-4
O'Toole gets a TD and 2 back 10-4
Ramirez escape 10-5 30 seconds
O'Toole another low single TD 13-5 rideout

O'Toole MD Ramirez
Ramirez woke him up with that takedown.

KOT looked good, but I didn't see anything to make me think Messenbrink can't hang with him.

KOT looked good, but I didn't see anything to make me think Messenbrink can't hang with him.
I have no doubt that he's right there with him, I just hope that they've worked on something in the room that will surprise him.

I don't recall anyone ever complain when Nolf routinely did the same thing. I did cringe a bit when Starocci's opponent practically begged to be put out of his misery and kind of wish Carter had obliged. But Clemsen shouldn't have been surprised, Carter doesn't care who you are, he's going to try and maximize points and he's not going to be polite about it.

I have complete confidence that someone on this board will get the scoop on why Clemsen was butt-hurt.
Way back, I used to work with a guy who is a “wig” at Md school of pharmacy. He’s a wrestling fan and was at the match. From what he could gather, Clemson was upset with Carter’s sportsmanship. He went out of his way to embarrass a kid who did not belong on the mat. I offered that getting pins is the objective of the game. My old Bud replied: “what the fook is one extra point in a blowout”.

Way back, I used to work with a guy who is a “wig” at Md school of pharmacy. He’s a wrestling fan and was at the match. From what he could gather, Clemson was upset with Carter’s sportsmanship. He went out of his way to embarrass a kid who did not belong on the mat. I offered that getting pins is the objective of the game. My old Bud replied: “what the fook is one extra point in a blowout”.
If the point didn’t matter, and the kid didn’t belong on the mat, then Clemson should’ve forfeited….It’s B1G wrestling & Carter gonna do Carter things….

I don't recall anyone ever complain when Nolf routinely did the same thing. I did cringe a bit when Starocci's opponent practically begged to be put out of his misery and kind of wish Carter had obliged. But Clemsen shouldn't have been surprised, Carter doesn't care who you are, he's going to try and maximize points and he's not going to be polite about it.
Surprised how soft Clemsen is.

That guy would've hated Jason Nolf.

On one hand good for the Maryland Coach sticking up for his guy. On the other hand, grow the F up this isn't 8U Wrestling. It's not Casey or Carter's Fault that the grown a** man that you put on the mat is too terrified to compete. As a coach you either motivate him to compete or put somebody else out there who wants to be there.

I don't get it. That kid has probably put tens of thousands of hours into training, conditioning, and competing for well over a decade to become a Division 1 Wrestler. He's suddenly gifted an opportunity to wrestle an all-time great in a match where no one alive expects him to have a shot, and that's the result?

This was house money. It should have been Vespa vs. Lee or Todrank vs. Nolf. You are going to lose. Badly. Why not let it fly and at least have fun in the moment? It was like his only goal was to not be pinned, and he would achieve it by allowing Carter to Tech him. Hang em up bro, this sport isn't for you.

If the point didn’t matter, and the kid didn’t belong on the mat, then Clemson should’ve forfeited….It’s B1G wrestling & Carter gonna do Carter things….
You’ve hit the nail on the head in regard to Maryland wrestling. They want to enjoy cocktails and bacon wrapped scallops in the club. Carter ain’t servin nothin but a good ole can a whup ass.

On one hand good for the Maryland Coach sticking up for his guy. On the other hand, grow the F up this isn't 8U Wrestling. It's not Casey or Carter's Fault that the grown a** man that you put on the mat is too terrified to compete. As a coach you either motivate him to compete or put somebody else out there who wants to be there.

I don't get it. That kid has probably put tens of thousands of hours into training, conditioning, and competing for well over a decade to become a Division 1 Wrestler. He's suddenly gifted an opportunity to wrestle an all-time great in a match where no one alive expects him to have a shot, and that's the result?

This was house money. It should have been Vespa vs. Lee or Todrank vs. Nolf. You are going to lose. Badly. Why not let it fly and at least have fun in the moment? It was like his only goal was to not be pinned, and he would achieve it by allowing Carter to Tech him. Hang em up bro, this sport isn't for you.
Unless Bobby Telford is on the line

I don't have an issue with the coach complaining about 174. His guy was clearly overmatched and that match could have been over, but at the same time it's not penn states join to protect the kid.

Reactions: Fatmarc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT