ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Maryland Dual Discussion/PBP

Malik Amine just said, "the number 1 spot (in the rankings) is not something you want to hold". Does he count as a student announcer with limited knowledge of the sport?
If he's talking about 125, he's not wrong this year.

Shunk v 21 ranked Brown
Brown an Allen high grad
Gets 3 now riding hard
(Malik is actually pretty good announcing)
Shunk gets 2 on a reversal!!
Rides out period
3-2 Brown after 1
Brown out 4-2
Brown high crotch to a good finish
7-2 Brown 30 seconds left 2nd period
Rides out 2nd period
7-2 Brown after 2
Shunk down
Riding time secured
Brown gassing but still in control
Shunk out 7-3
8-3 Brown Final score

Last edited:
Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Shunk is lucky Brown isn't cutting him here and going for the major, you have to wonder why the coaches aren't telling him to do it.
And when Shunk got a late escape and a TD would be a major, he just backed away from Shunk.

Reactions: RB-Old
Folks from Black Shoe Diaries at the match said that Maryland is charging $15 as a "premium match" but are holding it at a smaller arena holding approx 1500 fans, even though there's no facilities conflict with basketball today.

Which means that Maryland is probably losing over $10k by not holding it in a bigger arena. As if PSU fans wouldn't travel to College Park and pay $15, en masse.

Reactions: PSUer1989
I disagree that the top wrestler has to work for the pin. Your job is to win the match and stopping your opponent from scoring is how you do it.

When he wrestled Zain and was dirty. He pissed Zain off enough that he was a little extra mean on top.
Gotcha. I do think it was funny Malik mentioned it should have been a stalemate a couple times and Barlett goes on to get a 3pt takedown. Hindsight I guess

I disagree that the top wrestler has to work for the pin. Your job is to win the match and stopping your opponent from scoring is how you do it.
Literally the stalling rules are that each wrestler must work to improve his position.

When you're on top, you can only improve your position by trying to turn or pin your opponent. If you're not working toward that, then you're stalling.

Tony Nelson approves of the idea that top only needs to prevent bottom from scoring.

Byers mentioned this, so I went to Wrestlestat to look. Miller has two wins against Cole Mathews. This is why you should never presume that the higher ranked wrestler should automatically beat up whoever their opponent might be.

As such, I think a major decision is a really solid win for Bartlett. Well done Beau.

BB v 17th ranked Miller
(Malik kinda sucking up to PSU)
BB in on a good shot Miller defending on his back (?) BB finished after an hour long scramble
3-0 BB after 1
Miller down
BB pressing down
Stalling on Miller
Stall on BB
27 seconds left
BB rides out second period
3rd period begins in neutral
BB circles gets TD 6-0
Let’s him up 6-1
1 point BB for A Miller uniform grab
BB on a great shot 10-1
11-1 after riding time
BB gets the major against a ranked guy

Malik Amine just said, "the number 1 spot (in the rankings) is not something you want to hold". Does he count as a student announcer with limited knowledge of the spor

It would be much more interesting to hear him discuss Zain. But that might trigger PTSD.

When he wrestled Zain and was dirty. He pissed Zain off enough that he was a little extra mean on top.
Yeah, that exposure alone to Malik would leave a pretty sour taste to say the least. That was a bad look from him that day. From his X account at least, he seems to be a pretty decent guy and solid ambassador for the sport. Doing a good job with commentary.

Pierce almost gave up a major by diving at the guys legs at the end. Not smart wrestling

Pierce v 14th ranked Miller (it is apparently Miller time)
TD for Miller after 1:30
3-0 Miller
Miller with a hard ride finishes first period on top
2nd period
Miller down and now out
4-0 Miller
(Malik thinks Pierce should put points in the board)
4-0 after 2
Pierce chooses neutral
Miller get in on a single
Pierce scrambles like he is from PSU no score
Blood time
Pierce with a solid third period
Miller wins 5-0

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT