ADVERTISEMENT

Lunch bill comes to $10.53, I give $21.00

I enjoy the blank stares when providing an extra quarter, change or a dollar to make it easier and more convenient for the cashier or make change. Now, with the automatic readout that tells them the exact change to give the customer what could possible go wrooooong.

My all time favorite wasn't change related but very close. A local DQ visit brought the following exchange. Requested a banana split but was informed they were out of bananas. Being a pragmatic kind of guy I said, just give me a b-split without the banana.......blank stare. After about 30 seconds of deep thought she responded, I'll have to get my manager. Manager approached me and said, we can't do that, we are out of bananas. I repeated, make it without the banana, I'll pay the full price. Blank stare from manager (male, 35-40). After another 30 seconds ....... Well, I guess we could do that......

It took me at least 10 mins. to order a banana split without the banana. Special orders DO upset us. I did not think I was unreasonable nor disrespectful. I was accommodating and for it I was ill served, made to stand there for a prolonged period of time and provided a sloppy product. No doubt the banana provides structural support not unlike steel girders with the added benefit of potassium ingestion. Oh dear. The entertainment never ceases.

I enjoy the blank stares when providing an extra quarter, change or a dollar to make it easier and more convenient for the cashier or make change. Now, with the automatic readout that tells them the exact change to give the customer what could possible go wrooooong.

My all time favorite wasn't change related but very close. A local DQ visit brought the following exchange. Requested a banana split but was informed they were out of bananas. Being a pragmatic kind of guy I said, just give me a b-split without the banana.......blank stare. After about 30 seconds of deep thought she responded, I'll have to get my manager. Manager approached me and said, we can't do that, we are out of bananas. I repeated, make it without the banana, I'll pay the full price. Blank stare from manager (male, 35-40). After another 30 seconds ....... Well, I guess we could do that......

It took me at least 10 mins. to order a banana split without the banana. Special orders DO upset us. I did not think I was unreasonable nor disrespectful. I was accommodating and for it I was ill served, made to stand there for a prolonged period of time and provided a sloppy product. No doubt the banana provides structural support not unlike steel girders with the added benefit of potassium ingestion. Oh dear. The entertainment never ceases.

I've noticed many of them just punch in the next higher dollar amount rounded up... so $10.53 would be entered as $11.00... if they get a $20 they're screwed.

Also saw a young man put the money into the drawer BEFORE counting and returning the change. We were taught to never do that, to place the amount we received on the drawer shelf till the customer received their money. That way if they claimed they gave you more than they did, you can show them what you received.

As for ordering something special... try ordering a plain quarter pounder with cheese, my father did that in Buffalo back in the 80s - total blank stare, even the manager didn't get it 'if you want cheese, then it isn't plain'. Or 2 hot fudge sundaes with nuts, 2 caramel sundaes with nuts, and 2 large fries at McDonalds. The girl at the drivethru "How many sundaes with nuts?" "4" "4 hot fudge sundaes and 4 caramel sundaes with nuts?" "No. 2 hot fudge sundaes and 2 caramel sundaes with nuts" "2 hot fudge sundaes with nuts, 2 caramel sundaes with nuts, 2 hot fudge sundaes without nuts and 2 caramel sundaes without nuts?" "No. I only want 2 hot fudge sundaes, and 2 caramels sundaes, all 4 with nuts. I want a total of 4 sundaes, and I want 2 large fries." "OK. Do you want nuts with that?" "No forget the nuts. Better yet cancel the order."

Also saw a young man put the money into the drawer BEFORE counting and returning the change. We were taught to never do that, to place the amount we received on the drawer shelf till the customer received their money. That way if they claimed they gave you more than they did, you can show them what you received.

Reactions: Bob78
A food truck should know their costs and margins better than any business. They are typically owner operated and do not have the overhead that most restaurants have. They should set their prices accordingly and not depend on tips to make them successful.

Correct, however I still think not tipping in the instances I mentioned is being a cheapass. I am sure getting those few extra dollars helps them and may mean more to them than the minimal impact it has on me of giving those few extra dollars.

Correct, however I still think not tipping in the instances I mentioned is being a cheapass. I am sure getting those few extra dollars helps them and may mean more to them than the minimal impact it has on me of giving those few extra dollars.
That is mighty nice of you to supplement their business profits with tips. But to call anyone who doesn't tip a food truck a "cheapass" is unfair.

I don't see a reason to tip a food truck employee, or counter workers. If the establishment isn't paying them a fair wage, that is between the owner and their staff, it is not on me to supplement their income with tips. I actually prefer the way this is done in other countries... the establishment pays their employees for their work, tipping is not allowed.

Reactions: Madsol
I don't see a reason to tip a food truck employee, or counter workers. If the establishment isn't paying them a fair wage, that is between the owner and their staff, it is not on me to supplement their income with tips. I actually prefer the way this is done in other countries... the establishment pays their employees for their work, tipping is not allowed.
You guys tip bartenders?

Customer Service Personified. How hard can it be to bring what the customer ordered, it wasn't like he ordered a Buffalo steak and King Crab Legs out of season at that greasy spoon diner. I remember that scene so well and loving it, thank for posting Woodpecker. One of the classic movie scenes of all time. Reminds me of me, minus the hostility and sarcasm. I was quite patient, DQ should give me an award, customer of the century as an example although it was early in the century.

But...But... without tips what motivation will a server have to provide quality service.

/sarcasm

The girl at the register hands me back the 1, then proceeds to count out the bills.

Didn't even have the energy to the explain.

Just figured the board would appreciate this one.

1. No one uses cash. It's 2018.
2. If you want something special, ask beforehand.
3. If you are low on energy, you might want to change your diet, work out and/or see a physician.

Fair enough, however I will continue to tip, especially at food trucks and small family restaurants.

There are only a few that I go to, but yes. If I go to a place I am unfamiliar with, it depends how quick the service is and the quality of the drink.
How do you reconcile that with "I don't see a reason to tip a food truck employee, or counter workers. If the establishment isn't paying them a fair wage, that is between the owner and their staff, it is not on me to supplement their income with tips. I actually prefer the way this is done in other countries... the establishment pays their employees for their work, tipping is not allowed."

Reactions: RGWhirly
How do you reconcile that with "I don't see a reason to tip a food truck employee, or counter workers. If the establishment isn't paying them a fair wage, that is between the owner and their staff, it is not on me to supplement their income with tips. I actually prefer the way this is done in other countries... the establishment pays their employees for their work, tipping is not allowed."

Do you know what a counter worker is? A bartender is not counter help. Think along the lines of a Deli Counter, or a person working the pickup counter at a pizza shop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT