ADVERTISEMENT

Lunch bill comes to $10.53, I give $21.00

I would have handed her back the 5 and 5 ones and asked for a 10. Maybe she had a brain cramp.

No jar. I always get annoyed at the jar as I worked a lot of short order growing up and my bosses never allowed that. She was just completely confused as to why I would give her the extra dollar.

Reactions: 91Joe95
My major pet peeve these days is going to a food truck or counter service restaurant and paying with a credit card or Apple Pay, and they spin the iPad around or hand it to you and you have to select between 4 boxes:
0 tip
10% tip
15% tip
20% tip
To me, it feels like modern day begging. You know these folks are probably getting upset at people picking the “0 Tip” option. And I don’t like upsetting the people that prepare my food. But I don’t care.... I don’t tip in these situations. I don’t like to feel pressured to tip for counter service, and I feel as if these places are electronically pressuring their customers for a tip. Which makes me less likely to return.

My major pet peeve these days is going to a food truck or counter service restaurant and paying with a credit card or Apple Pay, and they spin the iPad around or hand it to you and you have to select between 4 boxes:
0 tip
10% tip
15% tip
20% tip
To me, it feels like modern day begging. You know these folks are probably getting upset at people picking the “0 Tip” option. And I don’t like upsetting the people that prepare my food. But I don’t care.... I don’t tip in these situations. I don’t like to feel pressured to tip for counter service, and I feel as if these places are electronically pressuring their customers for a tip. Which makes me less likely to return.

Yes, yes, yes! Panera Bread is one where if you pay with card, they ask you via the machine whether you want to leave a tip. At that point, the employee has done nothing but take your order. That's it. And they're asking if you want to leave a tip?

Just another child left behind.

Regarding the tip discussion, JD Rockefeller used to leave a shiny dime, I think we should return to that idea/amount.

<insert Reservoir Dogs tipping discussion here>
I was going to imbed the clip but thought some might find it offensive. I'll leave it as an exercise for those so inclined to watch it.

The girl at the register hands me back the 1, then proceeds to count out the bills.

Didn't even have the energy to the explain.

Just figured the board would appreciate this one.

My anecdotal experience: that sort of thing happens 1 time out of 3. Fairly regularly.

Yes, yes, yes! Panera Bread is one where if you pay with card, they ask you via the machine whether you want to leave a tip. At that point, the employee has done nothing but take your order. That's it. And they're asking if you want to leave a tip?
Tell them to come out and clean off your table when you're finished eating.

Sounds like an excuse to explain to your spouse why you have so many one dollar bills in your wallet. Now, how do you explain the scented oil and glitter?

The girl at the register hands me back the 1, then proceeds to count out the bills.

this happens to me all the time. Drives me nuts.

Was at a Store the other day my bill was $145.81. Gave the girl $160.81. She stared at the change for a few seconds, then proceeded to give me $15.20. I try to explain to her that she only owed me $15. She said no, that I had given her an extra dollar. I took my change and left. It wasn't worth my time or effort.

Reminds me of the Pitt - PSU coin toss laugher (approx 1979) that had our captains rolling on the ground as the official kept trying to educate Pitt’s captain what he could.....and couldn’t.....do.

He was scratching his head through his helmet!

EDITED: Pitt had one captain, thought there were a few.

Reminds me of the Pitt - PSU coin toss laugher (approx 1979) that had our captains rolling on the ground as the official kept trying to educate Pitt’s captains what they could.....and couldn’t.....do.

They were scratching their heads through their helmets!
I remember that. It was like the pit boss was explaining the game of craps to some "jabroni".

Playing devil's advocate here but perhaps some of the quizzical looks you get is due to the fact that the "girl" at the register hasn't encountered anyone giving extra in order to receive a specific change amount. After dealing with thousands of interactions with people paying with CC's, their phones, or paying in whole bills out of nowhere she's presented with a new scenario. Perhaps she thought that she was being nice to the customer who obviously made a mistake by giving the extra dollar when a $20 bill would've covered the amount. Also many modern registers have hot key buttons for payment with $5, $10, $20, $50 and putting in a specific cash amount is something that is rarely done so it could be a learning experience for the salesperson.

Going back to the rant thread from yesterday about poor service, maybe no one has ever explained the concept of paying a higher amount to get specific change to her. Maybe she was never trained in this concept by a manager, or her parents, because to adults who have learned this skill it's second nature - but it's new to her. We were all young once, though for some it's been so long they've forgotten what it's like when you're just starting out and having new experiences placed in front of you.

But I doubt this will strike home and I'm sure another "haha young people are so dumb" thread will come along tomorrow.

Last edited:
If one cannot or will not tip at a food truck that person is a cheap ass. I will tip at food trucks and small family businesses even when unnecessary because I want places like that to be successful so I have options besides chains.

Playing devil's advocate here but perhaps some of the quizzical looks you get is due to the fact that the "girl" at the register hasn't encountered anyone giving extra in order to receive a specific change amount. After dealing with thousands of interactions with people paying with CC's, their phones, or paying in whole bills out of nowhere she's presented with a new scenario. Perhaps she thought that she was being nice to the customer who obviously made a mistake by giving the extra dollar when a $20 bill would've covered the amount. Also many modern registers have hot key buttons for payment with $5, $10, $20, $50 and putting in a specific cash amount is something that is rarely done so it could be a learning experience for the salesperson.

Going back to the rant thread from yesterday about poor service, maybe no one has ever explained the concept of paying a higher amount to get specific change to her. Maybe she was never trained in this concept by a manager, or her parents, because to adults who have learned this skill it's second nature - but it's new to her. We were all young once, though for some it's been so long they've forgotten what it's like when you're just starting out and having new experiences placed in front of you.

But I doubt this will strike home and I'm sure another "haha young people are so dumb" thread will come along tomorrow.
not enough energy to say "please give me a $10 and change" but plenty of energy to rush onto bwi and bitch about it
some of us just want to be a martyr

Kids today are unfamiliar with cash. 99.9% of them use plastic, regardless of the amount. The nation is at a crisis; they can't do arithmetic and we're dinosaurs ;)

Reminds me of the Pitt - PSU coin toss laugher (approx 1979) that had our captains rolling on the ground as the official kept trying to educate Pitt’s captain what he could.....and couldn’t.....do.

He was scratching his head through his helmet!

EDITED: Pitt had one captain, thought there were a few.

Ask and ye shall receive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ3WCfzhGXM

Man you guys bitch about stuff like women!

If you don't want to leave a tip, line through it and write the amount on the total line... takes 3 seconds.

I laugh in your general direction.

I do this just to mess with ppl every now and then. It’s amazing how confused some people get.

If one cannot or will not tip at a food truck that person is a cheap ass. I will tip at food trucks and small family businesses even when unnecessary because I want places like that to be successful so I have options besides chains.
A food truck should know their costs and margins better than any business. They are typically owner operated and do not have the overhead that most restaurants have. They should set their prices accordingly and not depend on tips to make them successful.

Reactions: Madsol
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT