ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Away Game/Pre-Game pep rallies will now be paid events.

LionLen

Jan 7, 2002
Ohio
My wife, a Varsity S Club member, got the following email which in part reads...

"As a Penn Stater who has attended one of our previous pep rallies, we want to thank you for your support. Additionally, we want to inform you that we are offering a reimagined gameday experience and replacing the pep rallies with the official Penn State Tailgate at each away game.

Each tailgate will provide a convenient experience for your group on gameday and feature tailgate fare and beverages. There will also be special guest appearances by the Nittany Lion, Pep Band, and Penn State Cheerleaders in a convenient location near the stadium. Bring your family and friends for plenty of fun, photo opportunities and blue-and-white camaraderie.

Advanced paid registration is now available for all five tailgates. Space is limited, so register today:"

Is this the usual pep rally being replaced? Looks like it. If so, it seems like a STEP in the wrong direction because at $25 per person per game plus cash bar we'll be doing our own tailgating.

Reactions: fairgambit
Didn't go to these things even when they were free -- why would I want to hobknob with members of the BOT or accidently run into President Barron?

... this just cements that stance going forward...

Reactions: FHSPSU67 and garw
I guess I won't be stopping by these in the future then. I went in the past because it was free and thought I'd mingle for a few minutes and meet some fellow fans. It's not an event that I want to spend my whole tailgating day at, and if I pay to get in I'd feel more obligated to stay there to "get my money's worth," whatever that means. I viewed these as a brief networking stop as part of my tailgating day, not much else. I think I got a sticker and a small granola bar for free as well. So if they want to charge $25 they better be giving away stuff and have entertainment that makes it worth it, or nobody is going to attend.

Tailgate fare and beverages?? I wonder if their definition of those is the same as most other people.

I just got the email as well. FYI it's $40 if you aren't an alumni association member. Get bent PSU. I'm not paying you $40 for your crappy tailgate that doesn't even include any free alcohol. The email says to bring my friends and family. Do they each have to pay $40 too? This is laughable. Just keep it as a free event and charge for food and drinks. This is a really stupid idea.

I guess I won't be stopping by these in the future then. I went in the past because it was free and thought I'd mingle for a few minutes and meet some fellow fans. It's not an event that I want to spend my whole tailgating day at, and if I pay to get in I'd feel more obligated to stay there to "get my money's worth," whatever that means. I viewed these as a brief networking stop as part of my tailgating day, not much else. I think I got a sticker and a small granola bar for free as well. So if they want to charge $25 they better be giving away stuff and have entertainment that makes it worth it, or nobody is going to attend.
Reminds me of the original "Tailgreat" at the Jordan. The trouble on those was that they sometimes did not have enough food or the food was not exactly worth what they charged (not that that's unusual for stadium food almost anywhere). We did enjoy it after it became free with the concessions open. Now, it's gone as I guess it cost too much to put on (or the president wanted the Blue Band and Lion at his tailgate longer). Another reason why I do not miss going to games as much as I thought I would. I would have stopped by the one in Iowa, but not now. Probably a good thing as I might have been tempted to give the AA a piece of my mind (more in regard to Alumni Council and those shenanigans as opposed to anything else--that and failing to defend the alumni back in the day).

Reminds me of the original "Tailgreat" at the Jordan. The trouble on those was that they sometimes did not have enough food or the food was not exactly worth what they charged (not that that's unusual for stadium food almost anywhere). We did enjoy it after it became free with the concessions open. Now, it's gone as I guess it cost too much to put on (or the president wanted the Blue Band and Lion at his tailgate longer). Another reason why I do not miss going to games as much as I thought I would. I would have stopped by the one in Iowa, but not now. Probably a good thing as I might have been tempted to give the AA a piece of my mind (more in regard to Alumni Council and those shenanigans as opposed to anything else--that and failing to defend the alumni back in the day).
Agree, but I view it as an even bigger slap in the face at a road venue. Nothing says "we view the fans as nothing more than as dollar signs" than nickel and diming those that already paid hundreds or thousands to make the trip to a road game.

To add insult to injury, you pay in advance but they don't even tell you what's included with your ticket. There's no mention of the food you will get or anything other than "tailgate fare and beverages," whatever that means. So you could drop over $100 to get your family into this thing and then show up only to find you get a PB&J sandwich and a water for free, while everything else can be purchased at the cash bar. I'm going to need you to define exactly what I am getting if you expect me to pay for the privilege to attend this. What an awful idea and equally poor execution.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT