Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about science book
Don't know much about the French I took
Don't know much geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for

Stick to something we all know nothing about, like football.
Forgot don’t know much about love, because if we did, what a wonderful world it would be! :rolleyes:

Another ASS. BEATING. :eek: today on Wall Street. The Dow is down 800 points.

CORRECTION. :eek:

I’m generally opposed to market timing. Find a risk profile you can live with, diversify, and rebalance periodically, perhaps quarterly. Prepare ahead of time for market corrections and stay the course long term. This downturn sounds easy to recover from, but if it were really that easy the market will go up 1000 tomorrow and that’s unlikely. Perhaps it will drop further.
Well, one thing I realized a long time ago: For every buyer, there is a seller. Someone's betting up and someone's betting down.

The three legs of the market today.... 1) Europe, some nations with negative interest rates; China deficit spending beyond any nation in the history of the world and 3) The US with a shitty growth rate and permissive designation of fake assets as assets (oil reserves that would cost $1000 per barrel to produce being called assets when they are not) ... all this and horrific bank reserves in Europe and the US..... China (WTF) and (WTFK's) ... US stuck in 2% growth range .... inflation because of Big Tarrif little egomanic and many other little things... every doofus in the US pulling money out of their homes for whatever and every Jackass with an IRA or 401K that believes they are a millionaire if their net worth is around $2,000,000 (true if this were 1914. There are great stocks in the market but 95% of it is based on Hooey and BS. I have done well with AMD, NVIDIA and similar.... we all would do well with AI and micro imaging stocks as well as stocks based on tapping Physics (Elon Musk) and cellulose based energy, (I would ad Gene therapeutics if we could get medical insurance companies to stop MmmmmPhucking up the process) ..... but the general market Meh, Who knows because it is so inflated beyond reason and the irrational actions of three fake hot legs of the market. That is unless we concede that all markets are artificial BS and will be forever. I know this is nothing to KuntThatSays/Knows nothing.

The simple definition of a fake asset (not mine) is one that promises to make you richer but in actuality robs you blind. Types of fake assets A 401(k) is a fake asset because cash keeps flowing out of your pocket... for years... cash that is out distanced by inflation.
I'll tell you what's dumb: Someone thinking they can definitively say that the market is overvalued or undervalued. Market price is market price. Period.

I'll tell you what's dumb: Someone thinking they can definitively say that the market is overvalued or undervalued. Market price is market price. Period.
Yeah, it sure seems obvious that the intrinsic value of US corporate enterprise has tripled in the last 10 years. Howie, are you SURE that those who have called massive market crashes in the past were just lucky? Lol.

Like most hard core dems, he's simply rooting against the US Economy. He can't contain his glee actually.
Like most lawn service professionals, you do not know what you are talking about if the subject isn't some sort of fertilizer dispute.

Yeah, it sure seems obvious that the intrinsic value of US corporate enterprise has tripled in the last 10 years. Howie, are you SURE that those who have called massive market crashes in the past were just lucky? Lol.
Yes, I'm sure. Anyone who thinks they can time the market on a consistent basis is fooling themselves. So yeah, I'm damn sure.

Yes, I'm sure. Anyone who thinks they can time the market on a consistent basis is fooling themselves. So yeah, I'm damn sure.
Not the same thing as saying it is overvalued, but please, continue spouting your wisdom.

Not the same thing as saying it is overvalued, but please, continue spouting your wisdom.
Yes it is. Take a damn Finance 101 course and then come back and see if you can be anything but an ignoramus. You don't even recognize intraday moves which is what started this conversation. Yeah, there's someone who doesn't know jack shit in this conversation, and it isn't me.

Yes it is. Take a damn Finance 101 course and then come back and see if you can be anything but an ignoramus. You don't even recognize intraday moves which is what started this conversation. Yeah, there's someone who doesn't know jack shit in this conversation, and it isn't me.
LOL.

So for those of us with large cash positions, is it time to start buying? Now or wait a few more weeks/months for the pandemic to play out. Do you start phased buying at -10%, -15%. -20% if it gets that far?

This will have worldwide economic impact, maybe 2-3 points of global GDP, but then as it runs its course, there should be pretty robust recovery. It could be a little like every country dealing with a spate of natural disasters at once. As soon as people can count their losses and move on, then Wall Street is happy again.

I think the market is right to react but below -15% feels to me like an over-reaction - the news is all bad but as governments refine their strategies and the disease runs its course, the news will be more neutral. Within a few months the whole thing will be more predictable so business will be able to plan for it.

The virus is coming, the death rate will be high for a virus, there will be a lot of emotional impact for those of us who lose (mostly elderly) loved ones. But for most people this will just be a period of time without a lot of public events. And then it will be over, most people will be immune to it, and normal life will resume.

Reactions: tlbakernc
It's pretty pathetic he's probably right.
screen_shot_2020-02-27_at_9.40.16_am-1.png

Reactions: bmw199
It is pretty pathetic you actually believe this.

Imagine the loneliness and self-pity it takes to throw a tantrum here, swear you’re leaving, come back, and make comments in threads that, other than hogies and high school basketball and arguably 1970s rock your dad liked, you have no idea what you’re talking about, and project that onto others.

Imagine the loneliness and self-pity it takes to throw a tantrum here, swear you’re leaving, come back, and make comments in threads that, other than hogies and high school basketball and arguably 1970s rock your dad liked, you have no idea what you’re talking about, and project that onto others.

En ingles por favor.

Not all that different from 2008 when Obama took office at the scariest time of the Great Recession and Rush Limbaugh told his listeners he hoped that Obama's presidency would fail -- 40 or 50 million people out of work is a minor nuisance compared with how important it was for Rush to get the Oval Office to take his phone calls again. Regardless of your politics, if you have loved ones who depend on having jobs, or you just have any compassion for ordinary humans, you can't be rooting for a recession.

So for those of us with large cash positions, is it time to start buying? Now or wait a few more weeks/months for the pandemic to play out. Do you start phased buying at -10%, -15%. -20% if it gets that far?

This will have worldwide economic impact, maybe 2-3 points of global GDP, but then as it runs its course, there should be pretty robust recovery. It could be a little like every country dealing with a spate of natural disasters at once. As soon as people can count their losses and move on, then Wall Street is happy again.

I think the market is right to react but below -15% feels to me like an over-reaction - the news is all bad but as governments refine their strategies and the disease runs its course, the news will be more neutral. Within a few months the whole thing will be more predictable so business will be able to plan for it.

The virus is coming, the death rate will be high for a virus, there will be a lot of emotional impact for those of us who lose (mostly elderly) loved ones. But for most people this will just be a period of time without a lot of public events. And then it will be over, most people will be immune to it, and normal life will resume.

I bought a little yesterday thru our Vanguard Fund, for pretty much your reasons. Today I spoke with my adviser at ML with the idea of maybe buying into the carnage. Here is their advice for what it's worth:

"Potentially in the near future. At the moment our analysts are still looking for more data on the virus and companies’ earnings guidance."

So i guess since they are the professionals I'll wait til they know more, tho it sure is tempting to step in now

Reactions: tboyer
I'll say it again, Fed Fund futures traders priced in 2 rate cuts in 2020 for unknown reason weeks ago. Feds Clarida said no way last week. They are now pricing 3 cuts. He said too early to tell and not cutting blindly. This is a game of chicken. It is not the virus but expectations whether Fed will continue to flood market with cheap money via lower rates and QE. Market not liking non compliance from Fed

I'll say it again, Fed Fund futures traders priced in 2 rate cuts in 2020 for unknown reason weeks ago. Feds Clarida said no way last week. They are now pricing 3 cuts. He said too early to tell and not cutting blindly. This is a game of chicken. It is not the virus but expectations whether Fed will continue to flood market with cheap money via lowers rates and QE. Market not liking non compliance from Fed
It's pretty simple math really. When the discount rate is lower, the value of equities is higher. So if the market priced in a lower expected discount rate than the one they now are likely to get, valuations take a hit. One can do the math on a calculator.

No, the only thing I would consider doing is refinancing if applicable. The rates are as low as they have probably ever been. If you have a 30 and can go 15, you can probably get in the 2’s%.

But the impact to this could be monstrous. Possible that some companies if this runs its course as it could have revenues be halved in China. Globally, given China import, this is a massive event.

Last edited:
Reactions: tboyer

You know what is really dumb. When you are too lazy and dumb to understand when an asset is not really an asset on a companies books. Along with axioms that are trite and work sometimes while other times they do not.

Reactions: demlion
We can all quit arguing. We were told just yesterday that this is all the fault of the Dems, Media, and of course, the Fed. And it is such words of wisdom that have made me quit believing in climate change.

Reactions: demlion
I heard a business report analyst claim that U.S. stocks were still about 15% overpriced based on historic price/earnings ratios. Said market should trade around 14. I struggle with that when interest rates are at historic lows. I know it's not exact and prices depend on the company, outlook for a business, and so on, but for an overall average like this it would seem to me that lower interest rates, in general, should drive a higher price/earnings ratio relative to the historic norm. If I am wrong someone please kindly explain why there is no connection (i.e., If you feel compelled to be condescending, then don't respond. Put me on ignore). When the Fed cuts rates it boosts stock prices. Even the expectation of a cut does this. When central banks flood markets with liquidity that cash eventually shows up in higher earnings rates. What am I missing here?

So I'm not seeing a bubble. I see panic based on the virus and now a likely threat that, should a recession occur during election season, we could be looking at an administration that would be less friendly to stocks. If so I will move more of my money into international stocks.

Reactions: Howie'81
You know what is really dumb. When you are too lazy and dumb to understand when an asset is not really an asset on a companies books. Along with axioms that are trite and work sometimes while other times they do not.
You and demlion deserve each other. No one will ever be going to you for investment advice.

Reactions: bison13
I heard a business report analyst claim that U.S. stocks were still about 15% overpriced based on historic price/earnings ratios. Said market should trade around 14. I struggle with that when interest rates are at historic lows. I know it's not exact and prices depend on the company, outlook for a business, and so on, but for an overall average like this it would seem to me that lower interest rates, in general, should drive a higher price/earnings ratio relative to the historic norm. If I am wrong someone please kindly explain why there is no connection (i.e., If you feel compelled to be condescending, then don't respond. Put me on ignore). When the Fed cuts rates it boosts stock prices. Even the expectation of a cut does this. When central banks flood markets with liquidity that cash eventually shows up in higher earnings rates. What am I missing here?

So I'm not seeing a bubble. I see panic based on the virus and now a likely threat that, should a recession occur during election season, we could be looking at an administration that would be less friendly to stocks. If so I will move more of my money into international stocks.
Bingo. A voice here who understands unlike some here who seem to be cheering for a recession.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT