ADVERTISEMENT

LOL, Pitt Insane With Grief.

Cuse, pitt, Wake Forest, Duke, NC State, etc,. etc. What difference does it make? We scheduled a scrimmage against an ACC cupcake to help us prepare for the tough BIG season. The opponent doesn't matter. If we play a MAC team does it matter whether we play Toledo or Kent State or Bowling Green or Akron? The ACC is the same as the MAC. A cupcake is a cupcake.

Last edited:
Cuse, pitt, Wake Forest, Duke, NC State, etc,. etc. What difference does it make? We scheduled a scrimmage against an ACC cupcake to help us prepare for the tough BIG season. The opponent doesn't matter. If we play a MAC team does it matter whether we play Toledo or Kent State or Bowling Green or Akron? The ACC is the same as the MAC. A cupcake is a cupcake.
Yeah and it will probably be a single possession game in the fourth quarter. I’m sure we will run the same five or six plays Syracuse will see it coming and our coaching staff won’t adapt. Franklin sucks!!

Yeah and it will probably be a single possession game in the fourth quarter. I’m sure we will run the same five or six plays Syracuse will see it coming and our coaching staff won’t adapt. Franklin sucks!!
The last 7 games we have played against MAC/ACC teams we blew them out easily and were playing backups in the second half. I doubt it will be any different against Cuse.

We good be in grief because we scheduled Syracuse and refuse to play anyone legit. Really not the time to be making fun of Pitt for thinking we're making pathetic scheduling choices.
Last year Penn State's football schedule was ranked ninth hardest in the country. See link. The pitter's schedule was ranked number 39, tied with Texas Christian. The pitter's schedule was ranked that high because they played Clemson. Their future schedules will be ranked lower. pitt plays in a cupcake conference and plays cupcake OOC opponents. This is fitting because pitt is a cupcake team.

We good be in grief because we scheduled Syracuse and refuse to play anyone legit. Really not the time to be making fun of Pitt for thinking we're making pathetic scheduling choices.
It's never a bad time to make fun of Pitt fans' Napoleon complex and obsession with PSU that manifests itself in ugly, uncalled for assertions and slanders.

Last edited:
It's never a bad time to make fun of Pitt fans' Napoleon complex and obsession with PSU that manifests itself in ugly, uncalled for assertions and slanders.
Pitt is the only place still swinging from Joe and Jerry's nads.

Reactions: LemonEars
The weird part to me is that the original poster of this thread just made up a premise that he wanted to be true.

There is no such reaction from Pitt fans about PSU scheduling Cuse. A few poked fun at PSU's weak future OOC schedules, but way more PSU fans made the same comments just on this board. But I haven't heard from one Pitt fan that cares PSU scheduled Cuse instead of Pitt. Our OOC is full for a decade with Tennessee, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, WVU, etc. It would absolutely be nice to play PSU too, but the days of Pitt fans banging the drums to schedule PSU are long gone. Really, the vast majority of us don't really care. This announcement got no such reaction from Pitt fans, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and keep thinking that.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
The weird part to me is that the original poster of this thread just made up a premise that he wanted to be true.

There is no such reaction from Pitt fans about PSU scheduling Cuse. A few poked fun at PSU's weak future OOC schedules, but way more PSU fans made the same comments just on this board. But I haven't heard from one Pitt fan that cares PSU scheduled Cuse instead of Pitt. Our OOC is full for a decade with Tennessee, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, WVU, etc. It would absolutely be nice to play PSU too, but the days of Pitt fans banging the drums to schedule PSU are long gone. Really, the vast majority of us don't really care. This announcement got no such reaction from Pitt fans, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and keep thinking that.

Reactions: bison13

What a fantasy. You goofballs are whining every where. Reminds me of Joe scheduling Temple.

You went half bonkers then, like now.

I mean, aside from the petty insults expected in any PSU discussion on that board, they're not wrong. We did punt on extending the Pitt series because we claimed we were upgrading our OOC scheduling.

Well, that wasn't true.

I don't think PSU is "scared" of Pitt. But while pretty much every other major program is putting themselves out there in OOC scheduling, we seem to be going the cupcake route. We probably deserve some criticism.

I mean, aside from the petty insults expected in any PSU discussion on that board, they're not wrong. We did punt on extending the Pitt series because we claimed we were upgrading our OOC scheduling.

Well, that wasn't true.

I don't think PSU is "scared" of Pitt. But while pretty much every other major program is putting themselves out there in OOC scheduling, we seem to be going the cupcake route. We probably deserve some criticism.
And why wouldn’t you? It’s a smart strategy. Washington showed a P5 school can buy three easy wins and still make the playoffs if you have one loss or less.

Reactions: LongJakk
And why wouldn’t you? It’s a smart strategy. Washington showed a P5 school can buy three easy wins and still make the playoffs if you have one loss or less.
I'm of the mind that those cupcakes don't prepare a team well for playing elite teams down the road. When Washington finally squared off against a talented team -- USC -- they lost at home by 2 TDs. And Bama pasted them.

Of course, it would be silly to try to schedule Bama or Georgia every offseason. Or schedule 3 tough OOC games. But playing a ranked team in the OOC can do a lot to help a team get stronger for conference season and beyond. Auburn turned out to be pretty mediocre last year and they're probably going to suck this year, but Auburn was a good program to schedule. Playing a legit ranked team will prepare us better for the Big Ten grind better than freakin' Temple or Syracuse.

Plus, the goal here is to win a title, right? Gonna have to beat elite teams anyway if that's our goal.

Reactions: PSUfiji
I'm of the mind that those cupcakes don't prepare a team well for playing elite teams down the road. When Washington finally squared off against a talented team -- USC -- they lost at home by 2 TDs. And Bama pasted them.

Of course, it would be silly to try to schedule Bama or Georgia every offseason. Or schedule 3 tough OOC games. But playing a ranked team in the OOC can do a lot to help a team get stronger for conference season and beyond. Auburn turned out to be pretty mediocre last year and they're probably going to suck this year, but Auburn was a good program to schedule. Playing a legit ranked team will prepare us better for the Big Ten grind better than freakin' Temple or Syracuse.

Plus, the goal here is to win a title, right? Gonna have to beat elite teams anyway if that's our goal.
That’s certainly a fair argument, but the way I see it as that if you’re in the SEC or Big Ten, you likely play enough good teams that the conference slate alone should prepare you for the playoff. In that case, I just wouldn’t want to schedule anyone that would cause you to stumble. But, like you said, if you’re good enough to win a title you should be able to beat anyone on the schedule. Just my opinion, though.

So, there's one thread at the bottom of the page with like 15 replies. And most of the replies are discussing that PSU's future OOC is looking weak and/or discussing the validity of PSU saying they couldn't play Pitt because they were upgrading their OOC. I don't think there is even one post in there saying "why didn't they schedule us". And that is "Pitt fans going insane" about PSU scheduling Cuse. LOL, OK.

As for the PSU OOC scheduling itself, it's pretty smart. 3 OOC cupcakes + 3 games every year with RU/MD/IND pretty much guarantees a bowl every year (6 wins), a winning season (just win 1 more), and sets a pretty high floor. Most years, 9-3 is getting PSU ranked. If you have 6 wins in the bag, you just need to go 3-3 in the games against decent or better competition to go 9-3 and get ranked. Go 4-2 in the 6 games against the real teams and you are 10-2, ten win season, and most likely Top 15 with a NY6 bowl game. And some years you will get crossover games with pitiful teams like Nebraska and Northwestern were last. That could get you 7-8 wins in the bag.

The formula works, but is not exciting for some fans. They only way this is not 'smart' scheduling is if enough PSU fans get bored with Temple, Delaware, Nevada, etc. all the time and attend less frequently. However, there probably is only very small % that would do that.

Penn State did upgrade it's schedule with Syracuse, as opposed to a down grade with extortionist Pitt.

Reactions: LemonEars
Last year Penn State's football schedule was ranked ninth hardest in the country. See link. The pitter's schedule was ranked number 39, tied with Texas Christian. The pitter's schedule was ranked that high because they played Clemson. Their future schedules will be ranked lower. pitt plays in a cupcake conference and plays cupcake OOC opponents. This is fitting because pitt is a cupcake team.
We're talking about the non-conference schedule. Our non-conference schedule is an absolute joke. The only reason our schedule is highly ranked is because of Ohio State, Michigan and the rest of the Big Ten. I don't want our "big non-conference game" to be Syracuse. I don't know why anyone would. It's pathetic.

Why though? Who cares about Pitt? They're not relevant to us. Ignoring the screaming toddler in the corner is far better than talking about them so they believe you care.

Pitt fans can complain but it doesn’t matter. It’s not that Penn St should play Pitt instead of Syracuse. It’s that Penn St shouldn’t play either.

PSU needs to start scheduling interesting inter conference match up’s more regularly. They don’t have to play Bama and Georgia every year but start scheduling Washington, Colorado, UCLA, Arizona State, Oregon, type schools. Enough with Syracuse, Temple, Villanova, etc.

We're talking about the non-conference schedule. Our non-conference schedule is an absolute joke. The only reason our schedule is highly ranked is because of Ohio State, Michigan and the rest of the Big Ten. I don't want our "big non-conference game" to be Syracuse. I don't know why anyone would. It's pathetic.
So you agree that our strength of schedule is accurate - top 10 in the nation last year - due to the in conference murderers row that we have in the B1G east, yet you want to make it harder by scheduling tougher opponents? Do you actually want to see PSU in the playoffs? Or want to crow about big name OCC opponents?

Lose the 9 conference game schedule that the B1G imposed, rework the divisions so we don’t have to play OSU and Mich every figgin’ year and I’d I’m on board with scheduling more prestigious OCC matchups.
The last B1G west team to win the B1G championship was Wisky in 2012. The recruiting rankings this year from the B1G: 1-7 east, 8-14 west. Just to give a few extra data points.

Reactions: john4psu
So you agree that our strength of schedule is accurate - top 10 in the nation last year - due to the in conference murderers row that we have in the B1G east, yet you want to make it harder by scheduling tougher opponents? Do you actually want to see PSU in the playoffs? Or want to crow about big name OCC opponents?

Lose the 9 conference game schedule that the B1G imposed, rework the divisions so we don’t have to play OSU and Mich every figgin’ year and I’d I’m on board with scheduling more prestigious OCC matchups.
The last B1G west team to win the B1G championship was Wisky in 2012. The recruiting rankings this year from the B1G: 1-7 east, 8-14 west. Just to give a few extra data points.
Michigan has upcoming series with Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Washington
Michigan State has Notre Dame, Washington and Oregon
Ohio State has Washington, Texas (including playing those 2 in the same year), Alabama, Georgia and Oregon
Penn State has West Virginia, Syracuse and Temple....TEMPLE.

If you're defending this schedule you've lost your mind. Apparently those other schools don't play in the Big Ten East. Or maybe they're just not afraid to compete....

Also, "playoffs"? Quote Jim Mora here.

Ohio State has Washington, Texas (including playing those 2 in the same year), Alabama, Georgia and Oregon

If you're defending this schedule you've lost your mind. Apparently those other schools don't play in the Big Ten East. Or maybe they're just not afraid to compete....

Also, "playoffs"? Quote Jim Mora here.
If we’re not talking about getting into the playoffs what’s the point of playing the game? Face it - in the current landscape of college football us going undefeated or only having one loss and being B1G champs gets us in the playoffs. 2 L’s on the record ain’t gonna cut it - so why in gods name would you want to play a tougher schedule than you need to?

If we’re not talking about getting into the playoffs what’s the point of playing the game? Face it - in the current landscape of college football us going undefeated or only having one loss and being B1G champs gets us in the playoffs. 2 L’s on the record ain’t gonna cut it - so why in gods name would you want to play a tougher schedule than you need to?
So why are Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan playing legit non-conference teams while we're playing crap. Honestly, why is anyone paying to see those games?

The sooner the top teams in FBS breakaway from the NCAA and form their own league the better things will be and we can stop having to deal with crap.

Again, if the other top teams in our division can schedule Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon and Bama we can do better than Syracuse, WV and Temple. F'ing Temple.

Ad if we can't beat decent non-conference opponents we aren't winning a title so the playoff is meaningless as we'll just get embarrassed. The goal is to win titles not cupcake your way into the playoffs so Bama can beat you by 70.

So, there's one thread at the bottom of the page with like 15 replies. And most of the replies are discussing that PSU's future OOC is looking weak and/or discussing the validity of PSU saying they couldn't play Pitt because they were upgrading their OOC. I don't think there is even one post in there saying "why didn't they schedule us". And that is "Pitt fans going insane" about PSU scheduling Cuse. LOL, OK.

As for the PSU OOC scheduling itself, it's pretty smart. 3 OOC cupcakes + 3 games every year with RU/MD/IND pretty much guarantees a bowl every year (6 wins), a winning season (just win 1 more), and sets a pretty high floor. Most years, 9-3 is getting PSU ranked. If you have 6 wins in the bag, you just need to go 3-3 in the games against decent or better competition to go 9-3 and get ranked. Go 4-2 in the 6 games against the real teams and you are 10-2, ten win season, and most likely Top 15 with a NY6 bowl game. And some years you will get crossover games with pitiful teams like Nebraska and Northwestern were last. That could get you 7-8 wins in the bag.

The formula works, but is not exciting for some fans. They only way this is not 'smart' scheduling is if enough PSU fans get bored with Temple, Delaware, Nevada, etc. all the time and attend less frequently. However, there probably is only very small % that would do that.
Your in conference schedule is so weak you better beef it with with decent OOC teams.

Reactions: joeaubie21
I don’t disagree with the general point that PSU should be scheduling tougher OOC opponents, but...

1. you seem to be ignoring that Michigan is not playing any Power 5 opponents in 2022 or 2023. That's pretty pathetic as well

(yes, same, as PSU in 2025/26 but we'll see what happens as those schedules can likely change before then; in particular 2025 was supposed to have Va Tech before 2020 season changed things)

2. PSU hasn't scheduled anyone beyond 2028. A number of the games you list are for beyond those years and into the 2030s. Maybe we should see who PSU actually plays/schedules before we criticize them for not having comparable schedules to other teams those years.

3. No mention of Auburn this season? It's disingenuous to ignore that to try to prove a point.

Anyway, I firmly believe we need to buy out the atrocious Temple series and replace it with a real team in 2025 and 2026. And obviously we still need games to schedule in 2029 and beyond, but I have no problem intrinsically with playing WVU or Syracuse as our main OOC opponent in a given year. They just should be counterbalanced with some more prominent national opponents in other seasons.

So why are Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan playing legit non-conference teams while we're playing crap. Honestly, why is anyone paying to see those games?

The sooner the top teams in FBS breakaway from the NCAA and form their own league the better things will be and we can stop having to deal with crap.

Again, if the other top teams in our division can schedule Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon and Bama we can do better than Syracuse, WV and Temple. F'ing Temple.

Ad if we can't beat decent non-conference opponents we aren't winning a title so the playoff is meaningless as we'll just get embarrassed. The goal is to win titles not cupcake your way into the playoffs so Bama can beat you by 70.
It's called cheating.

I don’t disagree with the general point that PSU should be scheduling tougher OOC opponents, but...

1. you seem to be ignoring that Michigan is not playing any Power 5 opponents in 2022 or 2023. That's pretty pathetic as well

(yes, same, as PSU in 2025/26 but we'll see what happens as those schedules can likely change before then; in particular 2025 was supposed to have Va Tech before 2020 season changed things)

2. PSU hasn't scheduled anyone beyond 2028. A number of the games you list are for beyond those years and into the 2030s. Maybe we should see who PSU actually plays/schedules before we criticize them for not having comparable schedules to other teams those years.

3. No mention of Auburn this season? It's disingenuous to ignore that to try to prove a point.

Anyway, I firmly believe we need to buy out the atrocious Temple series and replace it with a real team in 2025 and 2026. And obviously we still need games to schedule in 2029 and beyond, but I have no problem intrinsically with playing WVU or Syracuse as our main OOC opponent in a given year. They just should be counterbalanced with some more prominent national opponents in other seasons.
I wasn't considering Auburn a future schedule but, yes, that's the type of games they need to be scheduling. I agree about Michigan--and if they go 12-1 I'll say they shouldn't get a playoff bid because of that depending on the other options. Do you believe Penn State will schedule anyone decent in 2029, 2030 and beyond? I don't and I've seen nothing to suggest they want to.

Were we disagree is I believe playin Syracuse or WVU is essentially us pretending it's still the 80s. Playing those teams is like us playing Pitt. It only helps them not us.

You know who has been in the playoffs from the B1G? OSU, Mich, Mich St. You know who hasn’t? Penn State!
This isn’t freaking NCAA 2014 on the PS2 - this is real life. In our current situation we’re the big outlier of the B1G east “traditional power teams” that still hasn’t made the playoffs. Until we’re there I’m all on board with making the schedule as friendly as possible to get in. Who cares if you get smoked by ‘Bama - least you’re in and get the media hype that comes from it. The selection committee has made it clear that the only things that matter are coming from a major conference and having 1 or fewer L’s on the year. Until that changes go ahead and schedule Temple / ‘Cuse / Virginia as much as possible.

You know who has been in the playoffs from the B1G? OSU, Mich, Mich St. You know who hasn’t? Penn State!
This isn’t freaking NCAA 2014 on the PS2 - this is real life. In our current situation we’re the big outlier of the B1G east “traditional power teams” that still hasn’t made the playoffs. Until we’re there I’m all on board with making the schedule as friendly as possible to get in. Who cares if you get smoked by ‘Bama - least you’re in and get the media hype that comes from it. The selection committee has made it clear that the only things that matter are coming from a major conference and having 1 or fewer L’s on the year. Until that changes go ahead and schedule Temple / ‘Cuse / Virginia as much as possible.
We aren't getting a playoff spot at 12-1 with that schedule. Just isn't happening. They'll take a 3rd SEC first.

Admitting morons who stay for a season or two, no classroom. Got it?

Ignore is next, baiter.

You are a very odd person.

But at least you're consistent with the whiny "everybody is cheating but us!" mantra. Classic inferiority complex.

I would highly recommend the "ignore" feature. You'd greatly benefit from a virtual safe space so as not to have your feelings hurt. :)

Please shut up already a very odd person.

But at least you're consistent with the whiny "everybody is cheating but us!" mantra. Classic inferiority complex.

I would highly recommend the "ignore" feature. You'd greatly benefit from a virtual safe space so as not to have your feelings hurt. :)
Please shut up already fake Penn Stater.

• Haha
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Please shut up already fake Penn Stater.

If the intellectual quality of your posts and your maturity level are indicative of a "true" Penn Stater, then I take your "fake Penn Stater" designation as the greatest of compliments :) Thank you, good sir!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT