ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting FACT OR FICTION - Syracuse is a real threat to Penn State with elite Northeast talent?

Greg Smith and I offer our takes.

Is this a joke or what? I guess that spring football can't here fast enough.

In all seriousness, WVU and Rutgers now are the second and third best programs in the Northeast, and they're at least a couple of levels below PSU, and Syracuse right now is at least a couple of levels below WVU and Rutgers. Moreover, the changes in college football only are going to hurt that program, because they're largely going to be out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited:
Nobody wants to live in Syracuse between October and April, and the program has not been relevant in decades. They are zero competition right now.

Greg Smith and I offer our takes.

Basketball?

You would at least have a premise for a discussion there.

WRT football, unless you are going to go back to the Jim Brown, Floyd Little and Earnie Davis eras.... and I'm uncertain if any of them are from the Northeast.

The truly elite players from the northeast will be coveted by significantly more formidable suitors than the 2020's ACC Orangemen.

Ernie Davis was local, Elmira. Floyd was NEast but CT.

The Carrier Dome is a crap facility at best. And yes…despite me being one of the few million that live in the area and love it….a lot of others don’t. But there are good football schools in cold weather like Wisconsin. ND isn’t exactly a warm weather destination either. It has as much to do with getting good coaching and Syracuse’s ill fated decision to focus on basketball and the Big East than anything else.

Ernie Davis was local, Elmira. Floyd was NEast but CT.

The Carrier Dome is a crap facility at best. And yes…despite me being one of the few million that live in the area and love it….a lot of others don’t. But there are good football schools in cold weather like Wisconsin. ND isn’t exactly a warm weather destination either. It has as much to do with getting good coaching and Syracuse’s ill fated decision to focus on basketball and the Big East than anything else.
My son is a HUGE college football fan and can hit the Carrier Dome with a 3-wood from his dorm … Has been to one SU football game over the years and has zero interest in attending another … walks around campus in his PSU gear Without fux to give

Syracuse blew it in the 60's. They should have tried to hire JoePa away from PSU around 1960. Once Joe took over he totally made them an afterthought by dominating them year in and year out as he built Penn State into a national power. We are reaping those benefits today as the 'Cuse struggles to even field mediocre teams.

Has Syracuse won a head to head recruiting battle this century? I guess you could argue Zaire Franklin from LaSalle hs right after sanctions but psu did not even offer him til late when he was already committed. Syracuse is probably a bigger threat to Rutgers than psu.

Psu has to worry about OSU and national powers coming in which is legit. OSU, Georgia, Clemson and Notre Dame go after the elite talent.

Last edited:
Syracuse blew it in the 60's. They should have tried to hire JoePa away from PSU around 1960. Once Joe took over he totally made them an afterthought by dominating them year in and year out as he built Penn State into a national power. We are reaping those benefits today as the 'Cuse struggles to even field mediocre teams.

They actually had a damned good coach and won a national championship in 1959 and outranked PSU most of the 1960s.

Has Syracuse won a head to head recruiting battle this century? I guess you could argue Zaire Franklin from LaSalle hs right after sanctions but psu did not even offer him til late when he was already committed. Syracuse is probably a bigger threat to Rutgers than psu.

Psu has to worry about OSU and national powers coming in which is legit. OSU, Georgia, Clemson and Notre Dame go after the elite talent.
Last player I was sorry to lose to them was James Mungro out of Stroudsburg, but that wasn’t this century. I believe he was the all time PA rushing leader at the time.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Yeah but he clearly faded at the end and Joe beat him 6 out of 8 years. They should have tried to throw the kitchen sink at Joe in '73 once Schwartzwalder left but Joe wouldn't have taken that gig anyway.
Joe wasn’t going anywhere by ‘73. Even turned down pro offers.

And Schwartzwalder was a genuine WWII hero. From Wiki link posted above.

As a captain in the 82nd Airborne (CO of Company G of the 507th), Schwartzwalder earned a distinction during the invasion of Normandy and battles that followed in the last days of the war. He played key roles in the capture of the La Fière Causeway and Sainte-Mère-Église, crucial points of entry into France during the D-Day invasion. By the time the 507th reached the battle for Hill 95, they had suffered more than 65% casualties. Schwartzwalder continued his campaign all the way into Germany and acted as military governor of the town of Essen for a period of six months. He was awarded a Silver Star, a Bronze Star, a Purple Heart, four battle stars, Presidential Unit Citation and was promoted to the rank of Major for his actions during the invasion. When he was personally decorated by General Matthew Ridgway, the General said "Ben, I never expected to see you here to receive this award."
Even as a paratrooper, Schwartzwalder remained focused on his football career. He organized an athletic league from among the soldiers being assembled in England in preparation for D-Day in order to keep the troops motivated and fit. He coached the 507th PIR football team, leading them through a ten-game season in which the 507th was never defeated and never even scored upon.

Joe wasn’t going anywhere by ‘73. Even turned down pro offers.

And Schwartzwalder was a genuine WWII hero. From Wiki link posted above.

As a captain in the 82nd Airborne (CO of Company G of the 507th), Schwartzwalder earned a distinction during the invasion of Normandy and battles that followed in the last days of the war. He played key roles in the capture of the La Fière Causeway and Sainte-Mère-Église, crucial points of entry into France during the D-Day invasion. By the time the 507th reached the battle for Hill 95, they had suffered more than 65% casualties. Schwartzwalder continued his campaign all the way into Germany and acted as military governor of the town of Essen for a period of six months. He was awarded a Silver Star, a Bronze Star, a Purple Heart, four battle stars, Presidential Unit Citation and was promoted to the rank of Major for his actions during the invasion. When he was personally decorated by General Matthew Ridgway, the General said "Ben, I never expected to see you here to receive this award."
Even as a paratrooper, Schwartzwalder remained focused on his football career. He organized an athletic league from among the soldiers being assembled in England in preparation for D-Day in order to keep the troops motivated and fit. He coached the 507th PIR football team, leading them through a ten-game season in which the 507th was never defeated and never even scored upon.
No doubt he was a WWII war hero. Back to Syracuse, looks like they were a bit of victim of bad timing as Schwartzholder got older and Syracuse started to decline coincided with Joe building PSU into a power.

Then after Schwartzwalder left they apparently mismanaged the program as they went into stretch from '73 through '86 where they were below. 500 or just above. That essentially doomed them to forever being way behind Penn State in football.

In my lifetime, Donovan McNabb is the only decent player to come out of Syracuse, and no, I do not consider Tommy DeVito a decent player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT