ADVERTISEMENT

Limegrover......

CoastGuard2018

Jul 25, 2017
Clearly not getting it done this year. Offensive line should not be this bad even with the injuries. Running game is a shambles.

Reactions: psu00
Clearly not getting it done this year. Offensive line should not be this bad even with the injuries. Running game is a shambles.

Our focus on this board is off. Our d is the weak link. We can't stop teams when it matters.

OSU figured us out and we made no adjustment.

My sense is teams know what we are calling on d.

Ldn

Reactions: psu00 and mtnlion
Our focus on this board is off. Our d is the weak link. We can't stop teams when it matters.

Ldn
I agree with the defense but our running game with the most talented back in the country is abysmal. Defense can't get off the field offense can't bleed the clock.

He should be fired immediately. Only injury is to Bates and he hasn’t developed any young players i.e. Sterling Jenkins

First off, I don't see how he hasn't improved the line. Our pass protection has improved tremendously.
I don't care what techniques he teaches the guys, he will never be able to teach them how to block 6-7 guys with 5.....

Ill trust Franklin to determine whether he needs a new coach. The nuances of offensive line are too complex for most of us to analyze. Is it injuries? Is it lack of depth? Is it technique? I know the line play for run blocking has been bad, but I’m not sure what the problem is.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Coaches who listen to the fans, end up sitting in the stands with them.

As a former coach for 25 years, not football but hooops at the HS and College level, I can tell you one thing. ALOT of times it's not the x's and the o's, it's the Jimmy and the Joes. Limegrover has forgotten more about football than I will ever know, he is a good coach. Maybe it's the guys we have? Maybe it's this system, RPO or whatever, that is hard to teach? All I know is from a coaching perspective it jdoesn't seem like this group is getting better. When I watch college football, and I watch a ton of it, I look and see is the oline moving the dline backwards. I NEVER see PSU moving the other colored jerseys backward. At best, they get a standoff. McGovern is the only guy I see that actually moves people...

Reactions: ralphster and dnit
As a former coach for 25 years, not football but hooops at the HS and College level, I can tell you one thing. ALOT of times it's not the x's and the o's, it's the Jimmy and the Joes. Limegrover has forgotten more about football than I will ever know, he is a good coach. Maybe it's the guys we have? Maybe it's this system, RPO or whatever, that is hard to teach? All I know is from a coaching perspective it jdoesn't seem like this group is getting better. When I watch college football, and I watch a ton of it, I look and see is the oline moving the dline backwards. I NEVER see PSU moving the other colored jerseys backward. At best, they get a standoff. McGovern is the only guy I see that actually moves people...
I see them move the other colored jerseys AROUND their slow bodies to pressure Trace or blow up the RPO. That’s what I see.

First off, I don't see how he hasn't improved the line. Our pass protection has improved tremendously.
I don't care what techniques he teaches the guys, he will never be able to teach them how to block 6-7 guys with 5.....

if you watch many times 4-5 defenders are causing chaos in our backfield. i was buying into the fact that 7-8 people were running forward every play. player by player we cannot handle the single man on the DL.

compare what our rush (with blitzing) looked like vs the MSU OL. we had a very hard time getting there with 7 rushers.

Ldn
Agree. Everyone is focusing on the offensive side of the ball but our D has given up 66 points and 1,000 yds the past two weeks. The points we racked up against USC in the Rose Bowl and against OSU should have been way more than enough to beat both those teams. Even 24 should have been enough against the Spartans but we gave up 500 yds and let them go right down the field at the end for the game winner. MSU had so much success passing they essentially abandoned their running game.

Reactions: ralphster
When Moorhead was hired, didn't he say that the RPO was designed to take pressure OFF the OL ... that it would not require the OL to hold blocks as long? Now the problem is that the OL needs to hold blocks longer?

For you football X & O wizards, can the RPO be tweaked this spring to boost the running game?

Agree. Everyone is focusing on the offensive side of the ball but our D has given up 66 points and 1,000 yds the past two weeks. The points we racked up against USC in the Rose Bowl and against OSU should have been way more than enough to beat both those teams. Even 24 should have been enough against the Spartans but we gave up 500 yds and let them go right down the field at the end for the game winner. MSU had so much success passing they essentially abandoned their running game.

OOOOH yea! Well maybe if out offense could run the football and control clock the defense wouldn't be on the field long enough to give up all those yards. What we need is No-Knees Nelson to come in and coach the dline!

I just really hate the RPO. Was never sold on it. PSU has best back in like 1,000 years and he has done squat running outside of few big runs here and there. When is last time we actual saw room for Barkley to run. 99.9% of time he’s got 4-5 defenders he has to juke just get back to line of scrimmage. It’s most definitely more the system then the OL. Barkley average per rush was higher his freshmen year then last two years and that offense/OL was as bad is it gets. Barkley was the whole offense in 2015.
I couldn’t care less about Barkley’s receiving yards and getting ball in space. You need a consistent run game if you want to be a top team.

As others have said, this is a flaw in the RPO system, or at least the execution of the RPO system.

Pass pro is improved from JoMo schemes. Covers up deficiencies.

Rpo system works, there are not many college teams that can take away Barkley , Trace and cover all our receivers and TE. Combination of missed OL assignments and bad decisions by the Qb. Throw in drops and inaccurate passes and that makes for a rough day on offense.

I'm certain that Limegrover doesn't call the "meet at Barkley" running plays which start at a stand still 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage.

Finesse like a group of hippos.
That's what the scheme calls for. Maybe they are more physical than finesse.

this^^

i think this group of lineman is more suited to a physical approach, yet we are running a more finesse approach

Reactions: WDLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT