ADVERTISEMENT

Lee Article

I can't "prove" anything as I am in no way connected to the NCAA. It could all be on the up and up. It probably belongs right along the PSU slush fund chatter.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Leveraged how? Unless this was something along the lines of a UNC situation where the position at Coe was never advertised, Mr. Lee was the only applicant and it's controlled by Hawkeye boosters or UIowa itself this is all a bunch of bull crap in a tin foil hat.

I suppose that the administrator or hiring panel at Coe College could be Hawkeyes, and even if it is true, so F'n what? Was it a legit job that was open to other applicants? That's all that matters. If you have proof that it wasn't, then buy a stamp and send the evidence to the NCAA.

According to Coe, Mr. Lee started his job on Sept 12th, but I suppose that is just another lie.

The academic rank of Carnegie Mellon vs. Coe is an absurdly useless bit or trivia. Mr Lee is not a student, nor is he a professor or researcher. He is an administrator. The status of a vice president for Facilities and Operations position is not tied to academic prestige.

In the real world boys and girls, University Administrators move around during their career. Most are not born and raised in State College and return to Penn State for life after a brief side trip to Lock Haven or St Francis.

Funny how Penn State fans boldly stated that there was nothing shady when Talor Battle's mom up and moved the entire family to State College and landed a full time job with Penn State. Or when Cyclone wrestlers and recruits suddenly became Nittany Lions.

This blatant, wild and unsubstantiated speculation is just embarrassing to our fan base.

Last edited:
Reactions: MVPFAN
when it comes down to it, "who cares". The only thing that matters is / was young Spencer's decision. The rest is typical speculation, sometimes fun, from the board.

It's a free country. Mr. Lee did what was best for his family...timing is immaterial. There's an aspect or two that could be unsavory...but the chances are real near "0" that any of that happened. Good on them that they get to see their kid wrestle.

Reactions: hlstone and Ja1339
Hall > Marinelli
Nolf > Kemerer
Nick Lee > Sasso
RBY > Teasdale (very possible, let's call it even)
Wittlake > whoever
Seth Nevills > whoever

Add in Manville and Berge ...

Doesn't look like a great recipe for surpassing someone ahead of you.

With all due respect, this should read Teasdale > Cassar.

Leveraged how? Unless this was something along the lines of a UNC situation where the position at Coe was never advertised, Mr. Lee was the only applicant and it's controlled by Hawkeye boosters or UIowa itself this is all a bunch of bull crap in a tin foil hat.

I suppose that the administrator or hiring panel at Coe College could be Hawkeyes, and even if it is true, so F'n what? Was it a legit job that was open to other applicants? That's all that matters. If you have proof that it wasn't, then buy a stamp and send the evidence to the NCAA.

According to Coe, Mr. Lee started his job on Sept 12th, but I suppose that is just another lie.

The academic rank of Carnegie Mellon vs. Coe is an absurdly useless bit or trivia. Mr Lee is not a student, nor is he a professor or researcher. He is an administrator. The status of a vice president for Facilities and Operations position is not tied to academic prestige.

In the real world boys and girls, University Administrators move around during their career. Most are not born and raised in State College and return to Penn State for life after a brief side trip to Lock Haven or St Francis.

Funny how Penn State fans boldly stated that there was nothing shady when Talor Battle's mom up and moved the entire family to State College and landed a full time job with Penn State. Or when Cyclone wrestlers and recruits suddenly became Nittany Lions.

This blatant, wild and unsubstantiated speculation is just embarrassing to our fan base.

It seems amusing to me that people aren't considering that Mr. Lee started looking for jobs in Iowa when his son committed there.

Reactions: hlstone

Never said there was anything "provably illegal" under NCAA rules LMFAO (or maybe this is addressed to someone else, can't tell due to the new format) - what are you now wholesale creating the supposed "accusations" as well as the well-dramatized "indignation"? You must be quite the soap opera fan! I'm talking "real life" here.....if you think Mr. Lee received no assistance in landing his job 25 miles from Iowa's campus (even if it just included recommendations, alerts to openings, introductions, references, etc....), I've got a nice shiny, brand-spanking new bridge to sell you in Brooklyn on the ultra-cheap! Mr. Lee probably levered the situation to help get a job close to Iowa City - so what, it's a free world which is what I posted, but to act like this is all just "coinky dink" that he just wound up taking a job in academia right down the road from Iowa's campus in perfect concert with his son's commitment is somewhat comical. If he was given help in finding a job locally via "networking" and leveraging that networking for all it was worth, so what - that's typically how people find "target employment" they are looking for, but again to act like it's all just so much "pure coincidence" is laughable.

Reactions: lionlover
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...IAL-s-best-athletes-ever/stories/201701200037

Maybe it wasnt just the wedding services at the Gable statue that sealed the deal for the Lees.
Wade Schalles also spoke about how his mother had him focus on the Olympics, while he was still wrestling in high school.
wade-schalles-nate-carr.jpg

if you think Mr. Lee received no assistance in landing his job 25 miles from Iowa's campus (even if it just included recommendations, alerts to openings, introductions, references, etc....),

Bottom line, as long as what ever assistance, leverage, or his Mr. Lee's own damn initiative wasn't against NCAA rules, it's none of our business. Again, the only thing that this speculation does is make us look bad.

Bottom line, as long as what ever assistance, leverage, or his Mr. Lee's own damn initiative wasn't against NCAA rules, it's none of our business. Again, the only thing that this speculation does is make us look bad.
I'm keeping my mouth shut. No way Mr. Lee is coming in here and giving me a verbal beat down as he sets things straight.

I've read his "stuff". The man scares me....

Reactions: papride1
Larry Lee certainly has a history of doing this. He left his job at Allegheny College a few minutes from Saegertown to go to Carnegie Mellon when his son enrolled at Franklin Regional.

What I've always wondered is how he has enough time to travel all over the country (and world of late) to watch his son wrestle. Even when he was a youth, Spencer was wrestling coast to coast.

Imagine making the argument that because Lee is 5'3'' and can't dominate on a football field or basketball court means that he can't be one of the most dominant in WPIAL history. That's nonsense.
Depends on what you define an "athlete" to be. Lee maybe the greatest wrestler ever, but if your metric is how well an athlete dominates in more than one sport...Lavar makes a valid point. What else does Lee do that's great?

From my point of view, the greatest high school athlete (Lavar's metric) I ever saw in the WPIAL was Brian Davis. He was not only the most coveted running back in the country, he was a 100 meter state sprint champion AND a 5' 11" CENTER on his state championship basketball team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...Washington-class-of-1985/stories/201610280050

Reactions: hlstone
Man, I know people said PSU led for a while but this kid fits like a glove with the Brands. May have a couple of screws lose to make him so great. He's got Gilman's nasty attitude which is similar to that of Tom and Terry's. I'm not saying PSU's room can't be intense, but Lee seems to have that level of intensity that some would call unhealthy and it fits perfectly with those two wack jobs.

Reactions: JimNazium
Man, I know people said PSU led for a while but this kid fits like a glove with the Brands. May have a couple of screws lose to make him so great. He's got Gilman's nasty attitude which is similar to that of Tom and Terry's. I'm not saying PSU's room can't be intense, but Lee seems to have that level of intensity that some would call unhealthy and it fits perfectly with those two wack jobs.

LOL!:eek:

+1

This may be the most useful piece of information I've ever come across on the internet. I have to tell the people I know working at colleges and universities as administrators (I'm inferring that for professors academic prestige may be a factor from what you wrote) that they have been doing it all wrong according to your authority, especially ones that have made a career at fine institutions.

Depends on what you define an "athlete" to be. Lee maybe the greatest wrestler ever, but if your metric is how well an athlete dominates in more than one sport...Lavar makes a valid point. What else does Lee do that's great?

From my point of view, the greatest high school athlete (Lavar's metric) I ever saw in the WPIAL was Brian Davis. He was not only the most coveted running back in the country, he was a 100 meter state sprint champion AND a 5' 11" CENTER on his state championship basketball team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...Washington-class-of-1985/stories/201610280050

We got a little derailed and I may have been partially responsible. But to the original subject....

That Brian Davis story is incredible. Center for his state champions high school bb team at 5'11"?

The original article didn't bother me at all. I get what they are saying. I played three sports (football, wrestling and lacrosse) in college at the D3 level and was reasonably good at bball and soccer in addition. I played with a lot of guys that were really good at one sport and really terrible at any other. And you would have thought the athletic skills would have transferred between sports. They just didn't. Were they great athletes overall? Probably not - but they were a lot better at a single sport than I was at that sport. So they had my immense respect for that. But great athletes, probably not.

If your determination of "athlete" doesn't include how well someone does in the sport of their choice, then I'm not sure you would be making the right inquiry.

Jeff Hostetler was a great athlete but I'm somewhat bias since we're from the same high school. He was a great QB, although Joe wanted him to play linebacker after being a Parade All American LB his senior year. He also led our school to the state Championship game in basketball and was a hell of a baseball player as well....routinely hitting homers onto the schools roof down below. First and only one I ever saw do that. Lol

Last edited:
We got a little derailed and I may have been partially responsible. But to the original subject....

That Brian Davis story is incredible. Center for his state champions high school bb team at 5'11"?

The original article didn't bother me at all. I get what they are saying. I played three sports (football, wrestling and lacrosse) in college at the D3 level and was reasonably good at bball and soccer in addition. I played with a lot of guys that were really good at one sport and really terrible at any other. And you would have thought the athletic skills would have transferred between sports. They just didn't. Were they great athletes overall? Probably not - but they were a lot better at a single sport than I was at that sport. So they had my immense respect for that. But great athletes, probably not.
Skills vs. abilities ... Michael Jordan wasn't a good baseball player.

I would argue that he's actually such a good athlete that he ended up being just a bad minor leaguer, but not a catastrophic one. Sure, he barely hit over the Mendoza line but considering he didn't play baseball for years, it's actually quite impressive.

I totally agree with this. It was pretty amazing in context. Put one of us into minor league baseball at our athletic primes and we would have done a lot worse. A lot.

But I will say that I've known wrestlers, good ones, that really couldn't play any other sport in any way, shape or form. Much worse than guys in any other sport that I've played. Probably a hand/eye thing with a ball and judging speed in an open space are the culprits. It's such a unique skill/ability set that transfers to other martial arts and maybe gymnastics for the little guys and not so well to other sports. I have to say for big guys, it's a great crossover for line play in football.

I would argue that he's actually such a good athlete that he ended up being just a bad minor leaguer, but not a catastrophic one. Sure, he barely hit over the Mendoza line but considering he didn't play baseball for years, it's actually quite impressive.
That was exactly my point. Being unskilled or less skilled in another sport does not diminish athletic abilities. Skills are the trained application of abilities.

... I've known wrestlers, good ones, that really couldn't play any other sport in any way, shape or form ...

This, as we know, is the reason why wrestling is the ultimate no-excuse sport. Whatever excuse you can use in other sports, you can't use it in wrestling. Examples:

Excuse: I'm too small, too weak.
Answer: weight classes. Gene Mills.

Excuse: I'm too short.
Answer: Gorilla Hulk.

Excuse: I'm too anything.
Answer: Anthony Robles.

etc., etc.

... Whatever excuse you can use in other sports, you can't use it in wrestling ...

And one of the most ~unique things about wrestling is that speed is not critical, because you are already close to the guy. And during the many times when you are already in physical contact with the guy, even quickness and quick eyes are not critical, again because of nearness and because the sense of touch is even faster than eyes.

Reactions: matter7172
This, as we know, is the reason why wrestling is the ultimate no-excuse sport. Whatever excuse you can use in other sports, you can't use it in wrestling. Examples:

Excuse: I'm too small, too weak.
Answer: weight classes. Gene Mills.

Excuse: I'm too short.
Answer: Gorilla Hulk.

Excuse: I'm too anything.
Answer: Anthony Robles.

etc., etc.
Excuse: I'm too slow.
Answer: Jarod Trice.

Number of years ago, big time HS basketball player @ Simon Gratz, in Phila.. (for the life of me, forgot his name) committed to North Carolina-- next thing I knew Mom/Dad got a job with a North Carolina govt entity. Happen stance or otherwise, strange things happen--usually the reserve of the revenue sports.

Excuse: The NCAA Champion should be the Dual National Champion

Answer: Jammenz

Final Answer: "Shut Up" - author Willie Saylor

Last edited:
Number of years ago, big time HS basketball player @ Simon Gratz, in Phila.. (for the life of me, forgot his name) committed to North Carolina-- next thing I knew Mom/Dad got a job with a North Carolina govt entity. Happen stance or otherwise, strange things happen--usually the reserve of the revenue sports.
Rasheed Wallace I assume. He was a freak in high school

Rasheed Wallace I assume. He was a freak in high school
Yeah he was. Simon Gratz came into Johnstown for a tournament at the War Memorial his senior...made everyone look silly. Johnstown had a 7 foot center that year who,if I'm not mistaken, signed with Clemson. It was quite obvious early that he didn't belong on the same court as Rasheed.

Jeff Hostetler was a great athlete but I'm somewhat bias since we're from the same high school. He was a great QB, although Joe wanted him to play linebacker after being a Parade All American LB his senior year. He also led our school to the state Championship game in basketball and was a hell of a baseball player as well....routinely hitting homers onto the schools roof down below. First and only one I ever saw do that. Lol

Would agree that many football players in the skill positions - especially QBs and TEs and other "skill-position" players with size and speed such as RBs, LBs, SS, etc... - are some of the best all-around, multi-sport athletes on the planet. You just don't find better athletes than a guy like John Elway (or Steve Young, Dak Prescott, Rob Gronkowski, Dave Casper, Troy Aikman, etc....) - these guys have it all....size, speed, power, jumping ability, etc... Most people just don't realize how big these guys are (6' 4", 6' 5"....mid 200 lbs) and they are still incredibly agile athletes that can play virtually any skill position on the field and multiple sports if they focused on them. Baseball - especially hitting major league pitching - is one of the most difficult things on the planet to do...even great multi-sport college athletes such as Kirk Gibson needed to focus exclusively on baseball to be a good major league player. Bo Jackson is credited with being a successful football and baseball player, but the reality is that Bo was a "decent" major league baseball player at best and not nearly the baseball player that he was the football player, but I'm sure he could have been an All-Star baseball player if he'd dedicated to that sport out of high school....he was that good an athlete.

I'm not a small guy, but these guys are huge and still incredible athletes (Blackledge was two years in front of me and he dwarfed me and I went 6'2" 205 lbs with a 32" waist in my college years, so I wasn't a small guy). People don't understand how huge and great an athlete a guy like John Elway was - this guy could have easily played TE or LB in the NFL....he also could have played professional baseball - just ask the MLB scouts about that!

Bo Jackson, the best athlete I ever saw. One of the few guys I followed closely without any team affiliation. The guy could steam roll linebackers, out run DBs, hit 400 foot home runs and gun out runners from the outfield. A real shame injuries cut his career short. The only all star in two different professional sports.

Love that video but it doesn't have any of Bo's home runs so here you go:

Last edited:
... these guys have it all....size, speed, power, jumping ability, etc ...
LeBron James is the only modern guy I can think of who might meet or exceed Bo Jackson in having it all. LeBron can play and has played all 5 positions on the basketball court at a high level, and he could surely be All Star at 4, maybe 5, out of the 5 positions. And he was an all-state football player.

LeBron James is the only modern guy I can think of who might meet or exceed Bo Jackson in having it all. LeBron can play and has played all 5 positions on the basketball court at a high level, and he could surely be All Star at 4, maybe 5, out of the 5 positions. And he was an all-state football player.

Given his level of whining playing bball, I don't think he'd hack it at professional level in football, though. And I'd love to put him in a time capsule and have him wrestle Karelin at Karelin's peak, just for giggles. You'd be about to see a grown man cry.

Given his level of whining playing bball, I don't think he'd hack it at professional level in football, though. And I'd love to put him in a time capsule and have him wrestle Karelin at Karelin's peak, just for giggles. You'd be about to see a grown man cry.

"The Russian Bear"? He's the greatest wrestler in the history of the world....he won 3 Golds and a Silver medal competing in the Olympics over a 12 year period from 1988 to 2000 (he won the Silver in the 2000 Olympics at the age of 33) - he won 9 Gold Medals at the 9 World Championships he competed in over his career. His all-time wrestling record was 887 wins and 2 losses!!! The guy dominated an Olympic sport like nobody ever had or ever has since......or ever will again for that matter.

yea, but is he any good at beer pong?

From all accounts, Randy Moss was a heck of a multi-talented athlete in High School. We all know his skills as a WR, but he was also the kicker punter in high school. Was All-State once or twice in basketball. Played baseball and ran just one year of track and won the 100m & 200m state championship. Granted, West Virginia is a small state, but he was a freakishly good athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT