ADVERTISEMENT

Lee Article

Imagine making the argument that because Lee is 5'3'' and can't dominate on a football field or basketball court means that he can't be one of the most dominant in WPIAL history. That's nonsense.

LaVar is a smart guy who says a lot of things that aren't as smart as he is.

Things I did not know before reading the article: Iowa is led by Terry Brands.
I'd have more confidence in Spencer raising the level of his team compared to what Lavar was able to do.

...no doubt it should be easier to influence a team of 10 than a team of 85 scholarship players... duh....

Last edited:
From the article:
' "My ultimate goal in life is an Olympic gold medal.” Don’t laugh.'

Huh?! Why would a person laugh? A gold medal is funny? Funny how?

That article sucks. I wish Willie or Jefe would tell that article to shut up. :)

...no doubt it should be easier to influence a team of 10 than a team of 85 scholarship players... duh....
Well, for starters I seriously doubt the coaches will need to tell Lee to follow the play call and not do his own thing while he's out on the mat.

But thanks, Dunke, for linking the article and mentioning some connection to Iowa! That mention made me re-pick up the article that I had abandoned, to find the gem in it:

“I am mean,” Lee said matter-of-factly. “On the mat, I might break your arm and won’t feel bad about it until the referee raises my hand. Then I’ll feel bad. I don’t know where I get it, but that’s how the Cary Kolats and Terry Brands were when they wrestled.”

But thanks, Dunke, for linking the article and mentioning some connection to Iowa! That mention made me re-pick up the article that I had abandoned, to find the gem in it:

“I am mean,” Lee said matter-of-factly. “On the mat, I might break your arm and won’t feel bad about it until the referee raises my hand. Then I’ll feel bad. I don’t know where I get it, but that’s how the Cary Kolats and Terry Brands were when they wrestled.”

Dammit Dogwelder, get out of my head! I thought that article was excellent and had already copied that exact same passage to my clipboard, for pasting in here. Here', I'll do a ctrl-v to prove it: “I am mean,” Lee said matter-of-factly. “On the mat, I might break your arm and won’t feel bad about it until the referee raises my hand. Then I’ll feel bad. I don’t know where I get it, but that’s how the Cary Kolats and Terry Brands were when they wrestled.”

Dammit Dogwelder, get out of my head! I thought that article was excellent and had already copied that exact same passage to my clipboard, for pasting in here. Here', I'll do a ctrl-v to prove it: “I am mean,” Lee said matter-of-factly. “On the mat, I might break your arm and won’t feel bad about it until the referee raises my hand. Then I’ll feel bad. I don’t know where I get it, but that’s how the Cary Kolats and Terry Brands were when they wrestled.”

But since you already took that one, I'll paste this equally interesting portion:

Lee is the son of Larry and Cathy Lee, who were terrific judo athletes in their day. Cathy Lee made the 1992 U.S. Olympic judo team and Larry coached judo at the national level. Spencer Lee grew up in Meadville and Saegertown but moved to the Pittsburgh area when his father got a job at Carnegie Mellon. Larry Lee is now a vice president at Coe College in Iowa and the entire family will move to Iowa next year to be closer to Spencer.​

Reactions: Dogwelder
But since you already took that one, I'll paste this equally interesting portion:

Lee is the son of Larry and Cathy Lee, who were terrific judo athletes in their day. Cathy Lee made the 1992 U.S. Olympic judo team and Larry coached judo at the national level. Spencer Lee grew up in Meadville and Saegertown but moved to the Pittsburgh area when his father got a job at Carnegie Mellon. Larry Lee is now a vice president at Coe College in Iowa and the entire family will move to Iowa next year to be closer to Spencer.​

I speak your name. Indeed an equally good passage.

Larry Lee is now a vice president at Coe College in Iowa and the entire family will move to Iowa next year to be closer to Spencer.​
That's excellent news. He is now in a position to hire many of this board's luminaries into the medical program, just in case Spencer re-injures his shoulder.

Reactions: dropster45
I thought that article was excellent ...
The article is probably better than I thought. I am a sucker for the "halo effect" or the reverse halo effect. If something has one very good part or one very bad part, that sways me too much, sometimes. I just could not get past the "Don't laugh" line because who the heck is going to laugh at a kid who wants to win the Olympics?!

Edit: Also, the basketballer-vs-wrestler debate in the article reminded me of Ditka-vs-mini-Ditka inanity or of Batman-vs-Aquaman inanity.

Edit: But, again, the Spencer Lee information gems make the article worth reading/skimming/linking.

Last edited:
Reactions: dropster45
That's excellent news. He is now in a position to hire many of this board's luminaries into the medical program, just in case Spencer re-injures his shoulder.

gave me a chuckle -- well played against Mr. Lee's post from last year.

since you didn't include a smiley face, and people often take things posted as the gospel truth, I thought I'd mention that in all seriousness, Mr. Lee's position at Coe College is Vice President for Facilities and Operations.

gave me a chuckle -- well played against Mr. Lee's post from last year.

since you didn't include a smiley face, and people often take things posted as the gospel truth, I thought I'd mention that in all seriousness, Mr. Lee's position at Coe College is Vice President for Facilities and Operations.
Operations, huh? Isn't that what we had so much to say about?

Wait, not that kind of operation. Never mind.

Reactions: burnsie1983
Wouldn't it make more sense to compare roster size or number of starters, and not schollies?

The bottom line is teams got little indirect benefit from Lavar's presence. Just trying to emulate Lavar didn't help, because one can't just be him physically, and he wasn't known as a role model in scheme execution.

Others on D1 rosters can emulate Spencer and benefit.

Do they have a wrestling team and will Devin Brown be allowed to transfer?;)

...which came first?...
...the chicken or the egg?..
...or ... the job or the decision...
...did one depend on the other?...
..only the Shadow knows!...

It's all been part of Iowa's plan since before Spencer was even born. The Hawkeye slush fund paid for Spencer's dad to get a Master's degree in Management and greased the wheels setting up no show positions at University of Denver, Allegheny College and Carnegie Mellon University as he worked (nudge nudge, wink wink) his way up the academic administrative ladder earning ever increasingly important bogus job titles such as associate Athletic Director, vice president for Finance and Administration, associate dean of Student Affairs for Operations to his most recent faux appointment of vice president for Facilities and Operations at Coe College. And let me repeat for the newbies, Coe College was founded in the 1850s by time travelling Gable era boosters as a shell corporation to provide fake employment for Hawkeye parents. Mr Lee isn't a father, he's been a Hawkeye operative for decades, recruited when he was a pimple faced frosh at Colorado State University. Mrs. Lee is a genetically modified creation cooked up in a research lab located in the basement of the farm house used during the filming of "Field of Dreams."

Last edited:
It's all been part of Iowa's plan since before Spencer was even born. The Hawkeye slush fund paid for Spencer's dad to get a Master's degree in Management and greased the wheels setting up no show positions at University of Denver, Allegheny College and Carnegie Mellon University as he worked (nudge nudge, wink wink) his way up the academic administrative ladder earning ever increasingly important bogus job titles such as associate Athletic Director, vice president for Finance and Administration, associate dean of Student Affairs for Operations to his most recent faux appointment of vice president for Facilities and Operations at Coe College. And let me repeat for the newbies, Coe College was founded in the 1850s by time travelling Gable era boosters as a shell corporation to provide fake employment for Hawkeye parents. Mr Lee isn't a father, he's been a Hawkeye operative for decades, recruited when he was a pimple faced frosh at Colorado State University. Mrs. Lee is a genetically modified creation cooked up in a research lab located in the basement of the farm house used during the filming of "Field of Dreams."

Given that Mr. Lee just took the Coe College position within the last several months and is not even moving to Iowa until Spencer graduates (.....and Coe College is located in Cedar Rapids - 25 miles from Iowa's campus), are you attempting to claim that Coe College had no idea who Mr. Lee was or why he was looking to move somewhere close Iowa City?......or that this topic never was raised during Mr. Lee's interview process (i.e., why he was applying to Coe College and actively looking to leave Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh, PA because he wanted, BY HIS OWN WORDS, to move to Iowa?). Is it also you're opinion that he used no "references" from professionals in academia at the University of Iowa (which again is only 25 miles from Coe College and these professionals are likely to know each other quite well given the proximity) or that professionals at Iowa didn't alert him to the fact of openings in academia in Iowa - especially one right next door to Iowa's campus? Ummmmmm, yea, sure, whatever you say!

Given that Mr. Lee just took the Coe College position within the last several months and is not even moving to Iowa until Spencer graduates (.....and Coe College is located in Cedar Rapids - 25 miles from Iowa's campus), are you attempting to claim that Coe College had no idea who Mr. Lee was or why he was looking to move somewhere close Iowa City?......or that this topic never was raised during Mr. Lee's interview process (i.e., why he was applying to Coe College and actively looking to leave Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh, PA because he wanted, BY HIS OWN WORDS, to move to Iowa?). Is it also you're opinion that he used no "references" from professionals in academia at the University of Iowa (which again is only 25 miles from Coe College and these professionals are likely to know each other quite well given the proximity) or that professionals at Iowa didn't alert him to the fact of openings in academia in Iowa - especially one right next door to Iowa's campus? Ummmmmm, yea, sure, whatever you say!

I don't dismiss your point here, but I tend to focus on the spanking we just administered to the Hawks, in their house.

And it doesn't get any easier for the Hawks with Hall, N Lee, Berge, RBY, Manville in the wings. So regardless of whether the Hawks used some pull to land a nice gig for Mr. Lee is irrelevant. The Hawks will be looking up at us in the rankings for as far as the eye can see, with or without Lee.

I don't dismiss your point here, but I tend to focus on the spanking we just administered to the Hawks, in their house.

And it doesn't get any easier for the Hawks with Hall, N Lee, Berge, RBY, Manville in the wings. So regardless of whether the Hawks used some pull to land a nice gig for Mr. Lee is irrelevant. The Hawks will be looking up at us in the rankings for as far as the eye can see, with or without Lee.
Don't forget Coos Bay's own, Travis Wittlake, as well.

Cael is reloading with a vengeance.

Oh I don't give a crap, Mr. Lee and Spencer are entitled to do whatever they want - it's a free country. But given the outcome and circumstances, I think it stretches credulity to believe that Mr. Spencer did not leverage the situation in finding his new home at Coe College right down the road from Iowa's campus. Again, whatever......but some acting like it is random "coincidence" is equally amusing imho.

Reactions: Ja1339

IDK, those two guys only won four NCAA titles between them. Maybe he should have modeled his wrestling after the guy who won four titles himself and didn't break people's arms and chose him for his coach. ;)

As far as his dad's job goes - really, leaving Carnegie Mellon, one of the most prestigious universities in the country (#24 in US News rankings for national universities) for Coe College (#117 for liberal arts colleges) is a bit of a head-scratcher when it comes to career moves. (My alma mater is ranked #65 for liberal arts colleges, I might have been able to help get him a job there). Couldn't he just fly to Iowa for some matches (or even drive).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339
Don't forget Coos Bay's own, Travis Wittlake, as well.

Cael is reloading with a vengeance.

Hall > Marinelli
Nolf > Kemerer
Nick Lee > Sasso
RBY > Teasdale (very possible, let's call it even)
Wittlake > whoever
Seth Nevills > whoever

Add in Manville and Berge ...

Doesn't look like a great recipe for surpassing someone ahead of you.

As far as his dad's job goes - really, leaving Carnegie Mellon, one of the most prestigious universities in the country (#24 in US News rankings for national universities) for Coe College (#117 for liberal arts colleges) is a bit of a head-scratcher when it comes to career moves...
Are you saying that it's INCONCEIVABLE that a guy would change jobs and cities to be nearer his son, even though the guy could have a more prestigious job otherwise? ;)

Are we in a thread wanting the PIAA to ineligiblize Lee because his big-time dad couldn't possibly want to move to Iowa, and Coe College couldn't possibly want to hire a big-time guy? I don't get the logic, and I don't get the confidence.

Last edited:
Are you saying that it's INCONCEIVABLE that a guy would change jobs and cities to be nearer his son, even though the guy could have a more prestigious job otherwise? ;)

I was half kidding. Maybe it's a major promotion to the position at Coe. We don't know enough. But I know a little bit about academia, and Carnegie Mellon is a pretty plum address - one that would be hard to give up in a lateral or near-lateral move and one that would be difficult to explain later in your career if you looked for another job. Could you imagine the interview? It's certainly Mr. Lee's choice to make, not ours, though.

Reactions: Dogwelder
It doesn't exactly take a fire marshal to follow this smoke back to the fire.
Back to what fire? That's the problem.

Larry Lee is extremely qualified for an executive job in a college. Could something have been pre-arranged? Sure. Prove it was pre-arranged, and not something the Lees did on their own, and possibly after Spencer committed.

BTW, going down that road means also having to say John Smith pulled a fast one for the Rogers family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT