ADVERTISEMENT

Least Satisfying Season In Some Time?

Yes moon games suck. Your post makes me think about how long I have been watching Penn State football and what my expectations are.

I’ve lived through 5-6 seasons. Freezing my ass off in the stands watching us lose to Wisconsin like 9-18 or close to it with really ugly football. I also was there for a national championship and almost never saw them lose at home while I was at University park.

Having a competitive team is a blessing. It’s a drag to lose to Michigan and OSU, but it could be a lot worse.

It’s not like they aren’t trying to win every game.

2020 and 2021 were disastrous so while 8-2 with losses to Michigan and Ohio State is "meh" its still us trending in the right direction. We just have to start winning those types of games sometimes but 10-2 is solid. Next year, gotta make the playoffs.

To me last year's was far worse. They were up in both big games and Our seasoned quarterback s*** the bed.

This year our fans hype Ignore the fact that we had a first year starting quarterback and depth issues of wide receiver.

To me there are things to be disappointed about in this season. Largely, wasted time and developing young players disappoints me this season.

Reactions: voltz99
2020 and 2021 were disastrous so while 8-2 with losses to Michigan and Ohio State is "meh" its still us trending in the right direction. We just have to start winning those types of games sometimes but 10-2 is solid. Next year, gotta make the playoffs.
Are we really trending in the right direction? Getting to 10-2 against the easiest schedules we have played since joining the Big Ten is window dressing. If we played the schedule we played in 2021 this year or last we lose four games both years. We were not really any better but the schedule was far easier. Next year could be trouble.

Yes moon games suck. Your post makes me think about how long I have been watching Penn State football and what my expectations are.

I’ve lived through 5-6 seasons. Freezing my ass off in the stands watching us lose to Wisconsin like 9-18 or close to it with really ugly football. I also was there for a national championship and almost never saw them lose at home while I was at University park.

Having a competitive team is a blessing. It’s a drag to lose to Michigan and OSU, but it could be a lot worse.

I just hate noon games and TV. He’ll I remember when 3-4 games where on tv each year, not every game.

To me youth league football and soccer play at that time, then you pick a pizza up or finish the brisket for the big boys.

Reactions: mcruny42
Are we really trending in the right direction? Getting to 10-2 against the easiest schedules we have played since joining the Big Ten is window dressing. If we played the schedule we played in 2021 this year or last we lose four games both years. We were not really any better but the schedule was far easier. Next year could be trouble.
We likely beat Iowa and Illinois. Probably Michigan State. Definitely Illinois.

To me last year's was far worse. They were up in both big games and Our seasoned quarterback s*** the bed.

This year our fans hype Ignore the fact that we had a first year starting quarterback and depth issues of wide receiver.

To me there are things to be disappointed about in this season. Largely, wasted time and developing young players disappoints me this season.
This year proves that we gained nothing by playing Clifford so much in 2022, as we likely could have ended up with the same record. But by not playing Drew this ended up being his learning year, and the biggest games proved to be too much. So hopefully next year settles that issue, but the losses on the offensive line and defense will be a new problem.

I just don't see Franklin putting it all together anytime soon considering that we just lost another Offensive Coordinator, and will lose another Defensive Coordinator in the near future.

And 3:30 games are my preference.

I'll offer a contrarian POV.
Last year, we had the 6th year of the Sean Clifford era. We had a body of work, and let's just say that expectations were tempered. The Fr RBs were a surprise at just how well they performed and the WR/TE corp performed very well. MY seemed to be a huge upgrade at OC.

Going into 2023, I would say that there were expectations for the defense, the OL, and RBs and there was HOPE that Allar, as a 5* in his first year as a starter, had the chops to get over the hump that Clifford could not. Even assuming that Allar would not be an All B1G selection in his first year, there is no objective way to say that the offense hasn't been a disappointment. In the 2 losses, while the D kept the games close, it never felt like the offense had a chance to win the games. As I watched, it felt like the defense was going to have to put points on the board to get a win. The 8 wins have come against a pretty awful schedule. Iowa is currently ranked in the top 25, but if the B1G was any good, they'd be about .500 and far outside the rankings. There is no other B1G school even getting votes in the AP, which, if accurate, means PSU only has one win against a team in, at best, the top 35. It's very disappointing.

Reactions: scrivener
Because of two big losses? Not for me. I absolutely hate moon games. This season 7/12 at noon.

I know, I know Fox sports blah blah, but for years the better to great games were later. Give me 3:30, 7-8 pm for the better matchups 24/7/365.
I agree with you BnB. I'm central so it's 11am for me.
I'm not going tp do any research, but I can't believe there more viewers at noon than 7:30 (6:30).
Sometimes I will try to copy and watch later but wife would sometimes get updates from a bookstore on campus.

nice b&w.

Because of two big losses? Not for me. I absolutely hate moon games. This season 7/12 at noon.

I know, I know Fox sports blah blah, but for years the better to great games were later. Give me 3:30, 7-8 pm for the better matchups 24/7/365.
A-bit disappointed with 2 losses yes. Wondering if we will ever be able to beat the big two, yes.

However, this defense is the real deal and is fun to watch. Fans need to appreciate it.

Reactions: 81b&w and mcpat
I agree with you BnB. I'm central so it's 11am for me.
I'm not going tp do any research, but I can't believe there more viewers at noon than 7:30 (6:30).
Sometimes I will try to copy and watch later but wife would sometimes get updates from a bookstore on campus.
The NFL puts the majority of their games at 1pm EST. Ohio State-Penn State and Michigan-Penn State had insanely good ratings.

9-2. Eight of the nine wins were dominant. Both losses were close and to top 3 teams in country.

31 point win over #16 team.

Wish the schedule had a better (ranked) OOC win. Playing both DE and UMASS isn’t to my liking. You can play one of them, but schedule a good OOC opponent too.

Disappointed in the 4th down 4th Qtr calls in the two losses. Would have liked to have stayed in one TD games and see if they could convert something late. I feel like Franklin took the final 6.5 (Ohio St) and 4.5 (Michigan) minutes of classic defensive struggle games from us. We may have still lost both, but those calls ensured it happened.

All in all, not disappointed except for those two 4th Qtr decisions. I’m generally satisfied with 10-11 wins and a top 10ish ranking. Some would claim that makes me part of the problem - a fanbase that is satisfied with too little - and they may have a point.

You post the same thing every year, it really does get old. You posted at the beginning of this year that we wouldn’t win 10 games because our schedule was so much harder this year. Rinse and repeat.

9-2. Eight of the nine wins were dominant. Both losses were close and to top 3 teams in country.

31 point win over #16 team.

Wish the schedule had a better (ranked) OOC win. Playing both DE and UMASS isn’t to my liking. You can play one of them, but schedule a good OOC opponent too.

Disappointed in the 4th down 4th Qtr calls in the two losses. Would have liked to have stayed in one TD games and see if they could convert something late. I feel like Franklin took the final 6.5 (Ohio St) and 4.5 (Michigan) minutes of classic defensive struggle games from us. We may have still lost both, but those calls ensured it happened.

All in all, not disappointed except for those two 4th Qtr decisions. I’m generally satisfied with 10-11 wins and a top 10ish ranking. Some would claim that makes me part of the problem - a fanbase that is satisfied with too little - and they may have a point.
Don’t care, I’m irritated at the money manipulating gave times 7/12 starts were at noon. It’s an awful start time.

After that it is what it is, until PSU embraces the current trends in college football in regards to facilities and NIL they will be second tier. 8-4 - 10-2 ish.

A clown show like Sanders in Colorado produces his two kids a national tv add with google. There is one main roadblock to this and his name rhymes with Paterno.

This year proves that we gained nothing by playing Clifford so much in 2022, as we likely could have ended up with the same record. But by not playing Drew this ended up being his learning year, and the biggest games proved to be too much. So hopefully next year settles that issue, but the losses on the offensive line and defense will be a new problem.

I just don't see Franklin putting it all together anytime soon considering that we just lost another Offensive Coordinator, and will lose another Defensive Coordinator in the near future.

And 3:30 games are my preference.
That’s quite an assumption that we likely could have had the same record had Allar started. Nobody knows that and coaches don’t get paid based on what likely could have happened. You coach (and the players play) to win the ones they’re in and that’s what they did.

A-bit disappointed with 2 losses yes. Wondering if we will ever be able to beat the big two, yes.

However, this defense is the real deal and is fun to watch. Fans need to appreciate it.
Again, the noon starts are a sign of the times.

Last year was 10-2 but the two previous years were 4-5 and 7-6. It's difficult to say this is the least satisfying season in some time.

Don’t understand the folks that still think the 6th year senior who is now an NFL back-up as a rookie on a roster without a 3rd QB should not have started last year.

After that it is what it is, until PSU embraces the current trends in college football in regards to facilities and NIL they will be second tier. 8-4 - 10-2 ish.

A clown show like Sanders in Colorado produces his two kids a national tv add with google. There is one main roadblock to this and his name rhymes with Paterno.
IIRC PSU has committed $700 million to renovate Beaver Stadium and another $50 million to upgrade practice facilities.

Hard to understand why some are still satisfied with Franklin’s annual 3rd place finishes.

A certain amount of rationalization is taking place here to make people feel better about what has been another very, very disappointing season.

No Ohio State or Michigan fan would be caught saying they are fine finishing in 3rd place again with 2 losses against the only good teams their team played.

Talk about lowering the bar. Franklin just wasted a huge opportunity with an elite CFP level defense.

The NFL puts the majority of their games at 1pm EST. Ohio State-Penn State and Michigan-Penn State had insanely good ratings.
The NFL puts its undercard of lesser games at noon. It's puts its best games at 4:00 and ~8:00. This year the Eagles only have 2-3 games at 1:00 and 2 of them are against Washington.

Hard to understand why some are still satisfied with Franklin’s annual 3rd place finishes.

A certain amount of rationalization is taking place here to make people feel better about what has been another very, very disappointing season.

No Ohio State or Michigan fan would be caught saying they are fine finishing in 3rd place again with 2 losses against the only good teams their team played.

Talk about lowering the bar. Franklin just wasted a huge opportunity with an elite CFP level defense.
Lowering the bar from what exactly?

The NFL puts its undercard of lesser games at noon. It's puts its best games at 4:00 and ~8:00. This year the Eagles only have 2-3 games at 1:00 and 2 of them are against Washington.
So you're arguing FOX and CBS don't get any premier games? You're wrong if that's what you're claiming.

Miami/KC was at 930 am

That’s quite an assumption that we likely could have had the same record had Allar started. Nobody knows that and coaches don’t get paid based on what likely could have happened. You coach (and the players play) to win the ones they’re in and that’s what they did.

Don’t understand the folks that still think the 6th year senior who is now an NFL back-up as a rookie on a roster without a 3rd QB should not have started last year.
Don’t think he meant that Allar should have started last year. Just that he should have played more to get more experience. Been an issue with Franklin from day one. Never gets the backup any playing time. So when the starter goes down….as they almost always do….the backup comes in green. Like at Iowa.

If Allar played more last year, with a team that was playing better, he could have gotten great experience and more confident and more comfortable this year.

Reactions: mgkpsu and mcpat
Lowering the bar from what exactly?

The bar coach Franklin talked about at the beginning of the season. He specifically stressed the importance of beating Ohio State and Michigan this year. Also, to his credit, coach Franklin stated it is was perfectly fair for him to be accountable for his record against Ohio State and Michigan.

Beating up only weak and 2nd tier programs like UMass, Delaware, and Northwestern is not enough for a power program like Penn State. This program must take that next step to show progress.

Apparently you don't understand the difference between "starting" and playing in the second half of blowouts. There is a big difference between Allar coming in with +/-7 minutes and handing off versus coming in for the second series of the second half up by 2+ touchdowns, and it was apparent this year. But Franklin wanted Clifford to get the records, which was a struggle.

Apparently you don't understand the difference between "starting" and playing in the second half of blowouts. There is a big difference between Allar coming in with +/-7 minutes and handing off versus coming in for the second series of the second half up by 2+ touchdowns, and it was apparent this year. But Franklin wanted Clifford to get the records, which was a struggle.
So 11 starts is not enough? Guys, it’s time to stop with the lack of last years playing time excuse.

Would it have been helpful? Possibly, but we dominated nearly everybody up until OSU and UM. So would a couple of series last year have changed the outcome of those two?

Don’t think he meant that Allar should have started last year. Just that he should have played more to get more experience. Been an issue with Franklin from day one. Never gets the backup any playing time. So when the starter goes down….as they almost always do….the backup comes in green. Like at Iowa.

If Allar played more last year, with a team that was playing better, he could have gotten great experience and more confident and more comfortable this year.
He played more than likely any other backup QB in college football.

IIRC PSU has committed $700 million to renovate Beaver Stadium and another $50 million to upgrade practice facilities.
Penn State did not commit 700 million to renovate Beaver Stadium. They committed to multi-phase plan that could cost up to 700 million with each phase able to be completed Individually. There is no guarantee for anything past the first phase which is largely deferred maintenance. Beyond that, the athletic department must fund raise to cover a substantial percentage of the cost of each phase before the University commits to funding it.

So 11 starts is not enough? Guys, it’s time to stop with the lack of last years playing time excuse.

Would it have been helpful? Possibly, but we dominated nearly everybody up until OSU and UM. So would a couple of series last year have changed the outcome of those two?

Allar played more than any backup has generally ever played last year without losing the starter. Losing the top 3 pass catchers hurt us more than anything and no amount of '22 playing time was going to change that.

Reactions: KCLion
Allar played more than any backup has generally ever played last year without losing the starter. Losing the top 3 pass catchers hurt us more than anything and no amount of '22 playing time was going to change that.
Why are people so offended by the notion of reducing snaps for Clifford? He got an extra (shorter) season, so his records have an asterisk anyway.

Why are people so offended by the notion of reducing snaps for Clifford? He got an extra (shorter) season, so his records have an asterisk anyway.
Personally, I don’t give a damn about any records. It was clear that Sean gave us the opportunity to win the most games last year. Drew got quality time. Could he have gotten more, sure, but would it have made any difference this year after 11 games, I contend that it would not.

I guess we have a disconnect between offended and absurd.

Nobody cares about Clifford's records and most couldn't recite what they are.

If I'm offended by anything, it's by the dumbfounded folks who think an extra 50 snaps in '22 makes Allar better in '23. This isn't week 3 vs Illinois when that argument might have held water.

This is week 12, 11 games in. The season, Allar, they are what they are.

I expect much of that will come from greatly increased ticket & parking prices and possibly tuition increases? PSU committed but the fans will bear a large financial burden.

I expect much of that will come from greatly increased ticket & parking prices and possibly tuition increases? PSU committed but the fans will bear a large financial burden.
If you got their premium seating survey, you know who will be paying. It was very obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT