ADVERTISEMENT

LBs

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
well since we played Bowen and Cooper and burned their redshirts the coaches quickly recognized we need help at LB. I expect both of them to play a lot ;-)
Just wish we had some younger more talented OL to play. But it is what it is.

Let's just beat Buffalo and support these kids.

Reactions: mickey_PSU
I expect Cabinda to move over to the middle and Reeder to get the start in Cabinda's spot. Hopefully Bell is ready to go. LB was thin going into the season so losing Wartman-White is devastating, imo.

I think we have good young offensive linemen but none of them are ready for prime-time yet. We'll get there, it's just going to take some time...and patience, which very few of us have. I am concerned about the play calling, I'm not sure how we fix that.

I should note, generally speaking, only about 30% of offensive linemen recruits meet their expectations- in other words, 70% don't work out too well. Even the NFL only gets it right about 50% of the time. In other words, predicting offensive linemen success is extremely, extremely difficult. Add to that, tough recruiting over the last 3 or 4 years and the 3rd offensive line coach in the last 4 years- plus the fact that most successful college football lines have RS Juniors, Seniors and RS Seniors manning their lines, and you can quickly see we're in trouble. I had extremely high expectations going into this season but after seeing the Temple game, I see those expectations were a bit inflated given the offensive line woes. Some argue that Mahon and Mangiro were 4 stars-- yep, I agree, and given the odds, there was a better chance neither would have success at the college level. The rest of our "touted" linemen are either RS frosh or true freshmen- kids just nto ready to step into starting roles. Give it time, it'll all work out- even the offensive play calling, if it doesn't, Donovan will be looking for a new gig.

I
I expect Cabinda to move over to the middle and Reeder to get the start in Cabinda's spot. Hopefully Bell is ready to go. LB was thin going into the season so losing Wartman-White is devastating, imo.

I think we have good young offensive linemen but none of them are ready for prime-time yet. We'll get there, it's just going to take some time...and patience, which very few of us have. I am concerned about the play calling, I'm not sure how we fix that.

I should note, generally speaking, only about 30% of offensive linemen recruits meet their expectations- in other words, 70% don't work out too well. Even the NFL only gets it right about 50% of the time. In other words, predicting offensive linemen success is extremely, extremely difficult. Add to that, tough recruiting over the last 3 or 4 years and the 3rd offensive line coach in the last 4 years- plus the fact that most successful college football lines have RS Juniors, Seniors and RS Seniors manning their lines, and you can quickly see we're in trouble. I had extremely high expectations going into this season but after seeing the Temple game, I see those expectations were a bit inflated given the offensive line woes. Some argue that Mahon and Mangiro were 4 stars-- yep, I agree, and given the odds, there was a better chance neither would have success at the college level. The rest of our "touted" linemen are either RS frosh or true freshmen- kids just nto ready to step into starting roles. Give it time, it'll all work out- even the offensive play calling, if it doesn't, Donovan will be looking for a new gig.
I hope that we go Bell/Cabinda/Reeder at LB. That is our best bet. If it's Wooten we will be in trouble most games.

Agree on the OL. You could list at least 20 3 and 4* guys who didn't pan out the past 15 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeR0206

Regarding Donovan, is he trying to force Hack into the wrong type of offense? I'm thinking of Rich Rodriguez when at Michigan and he had Ryan Mallett (transferred to Arkansas because of offense that RR played).
I "think" Hack should have transferred for his career. As of now he has NO career.

Bell has ankle injury. This one takes time to heal. Rest him for this game, play young ones unless you have to have him.

Start playing young linement, do not wait. One or more of them may be good.

Reactions: WeR0206

Mickey... Your post about OL progression and success is rock solid. This argument has been made numerous times, though maybe yours is the best I've seen. Wise fans have the needed patience. 2017 is the year to start judging the staff, certainly not 2015, for god's sake! Franklin's lights out recruiting will continue to build the base. Whiners and trolls show up after every loss. Nothing new.

Reactions: mickey_PSU
Mickey... Your post about OL progression and success is rock solid. This argument has been made numerous times, though maybe yours is the best I've seen. Wise fans have the needed patience. 2017 is the year to start judging the staff, certainly not 2015, for god's sake! Franklin's lights out recruiting will continue to build the base. Whiners and trolls show up after every loss. Nothing new.

The "problem" is two more years of this !!! Poor Hack. I thought he should have transferred last year. He is loyal to a fault. He may have ruined any career he might have had.

I've been thinking about the Hack situation a lot since Saturday evening... I honestly don't have a good answer. If he had transferred, Franklin would have been left with a true freshman he recruited at Vandy to play safety. I have no idea how that would have worked out.

I think Hack's situation is complicated by the fact that he doesn't fit this system yet he's the best option. I wonder if the coaching staff hasnt' done a bad job adjusting the system to fit Christian's skill set. I just don't know. I feel confident in saying that Hackenberg is now freezing up when there's any type of pressure- he had trouble hitting open receivers even when he had a little time. I can't imagine being back there and getting pummeled the way he did last year and now in the first game of this season and then be able to make plays.

As for Hackenberg's future, I'm very confident if the NFL scouts think he's worthy of a top pick, he'll be taken then as they'll recognize the issues at Penn State. I'm not completely sold on Hackenberg but I'm not ready to say it's all on him, either.

As discussed, the biggest problem for Hack right now is in his head- I don't blame him, but that's something he's going to need to get over. He should give Jim Plunkett a call, he was a tackling dummy for the Patriots, then moved on to Oakland where he became a Super Bowl Champion-- it can be done.

Bell has ankle injury. This one takes time to heal. Rest him for this game, play young ones unless you have to have him.

Start playing young linement, do not wait. One or more of them may be good.[/QUOTE

If Bell can't go, I expect it to be Cabinda, Reeder and Cooper. I don't think Wooten showed me that he can handle the mike role but then again, he's a RS junior so the staff may prefer the experience over the younger talent- we'll see

As for the "young" linemen, I'm not sure any of them are quite close to being ready- but for maybe Noah Beh. I thought the middle actually did a decent job, but Palmer really struggled- which isn't all that surprising. I don't have anywhere the expertise any of the coaches have, including Donovan (but it's probably close LOL), but if they make any moves, it'll be Nelson to left tackle, Mangiro to right tackle and either Laurent or Reihner to center. Dowrey looked a bit slow so I think Mahon solidified his hold on the starting RG spot. Again, patience, our best "talent" right now is either a rs freshman, a true freshman or he isn't even on campus (McGovern, Mennet, Fries or Gellerstedt).

Now is probably the worse time for us fans to evaluate anything, as said before, when we lose, especially the way we looked on Saturday, no one on the entire team, including the coaches, are any good at all-- which is simply not true.

I've been thinking about the Hack situation a lot since Saturday evening... I honestly don't have a good answer. If he had transferred, Franklin would have been left with a true freshman he recruited at Vandy to play safety. I have no idea how that would have worked out.

I think Hack's situation is complicated by the fact that he doesn't fit this system yet he's the best option. I wonder if the coaching staff hasnt' done a bad job adjusting the system to fit Christian's skill set. I just don't know. I feel confident in saying that Hackenberg is now freezing up when there's any type of pressure- he had trouble hitting open receivers even when he had a little time. I can't imagine being back there and getting pummeled the way he did last year and now in the first game of this season and then be able to make plays.

As for Hackenberg's future, I'm very confident if the NFL scouts think he's worthy of a top pick, he'll be taken then as they'll recognize the issues at Penn State. I'm not completely sold on Hackenberg but I'm not ready to say it's all on him, either.

As discussed, the biggest problem for Hack right now is in his head- I don't blame him, but that's something he's going to need to get over. He should give Jim Plunkett a call, he was a tackling dummy for the Patriots, then moved on to Oakland where he became a Super Bowl Champion-- it can be done.
If the coaching situation at U. Delaware is the same as what Flaco had when he transferred from Pitt, that might be a viable option for Hack. Turn it over to McSorley(sp) and hand him the reins for this team and let him get his feet wet with the team he would have anyways after Hacks departure. Just seems the most logical sense to me. As it is now there is no winner, I don't believe Franklin and his crew can serve both Hack and the team in this set-up. If I remember Wimbush was the QB that CF was going to build the team around. The mobile QB. Unfortunately, Hack was already here Not blaming Hack or CF.

Reactions: ruready07
If the coaching situation at U. Delaware is the same as what Flaco had when he transferred from Pitt, that might be a viable option for Hack. Turn it over to McSorley(sp) and hand him the reins for this team and let him get his feet wet with the team he would have anyways after Hacks departure. Just seems the most logical sense to me. As it is now there is no winner, I don't believe Franklin and his crew can serve both Hack and the team in this set-up. If I remember Wimbush was the QB that CF was going to build the team around. The mobile QB. Unfortunately, Hack was already here Not blaming Hack or CF.

Finally, an intelligent thread from top to bottom. I'll leave myself out of the compliment.

EDIT: Well, maybe not all the way to the bottom.

Last edited:

Some, but only a few, RS freshmen OL kids are ready to play pretty well when they are the 5th OLinemen among 4 veterans. There are also many RS Sophs that can contribute within an otherwise veteran line. The problem is that we have 4 or 5 terrible OLinemen so it would be tough for any young kid to come in and get comfortable.

But to build for the future the best plan to get a better line the quickest is to play the young OL kids and get them experience. I'm for rotating them in, making changes every series. The current starting 5 are terrible together so I don't see how they could be worse with a couple of young kids getting playing time. Sorrell, Brosnan, Beh, and Wright need to play now. Redshirting the 2015 OL kids may still be in the best interest of the program, but the 2014 kids should play now. Wright is actually one year older (comparable to a RS soph) as he attended a prep school for a year before coming to PSU.

Reactions: Doc-M
Some, but only a few, RS freshmen OL kids are ready to play pretty well when they are the 5th OLinemen among 4 veterans. There are also many RS Sophs that can contribute within an otherwise veteran line. The problem is that we have 4 or 5 terrible OLinemen so it would be tough for any young kid to come in and get comfortable.

But to build for the future the best plan to get a better line the quickest is to play the young OL kids and get them experience. I'm for rotating them in, making changes every series. The current starting 5 are terrible together so I don't see how they could be worse with a couple of young kids getting playing time. Sorrell, Brosnan, Beh, and Wright need to play now. Redshirting the 2015 OL kids may still be in the best interest of the program, but the 2014 kids should play now. Wright is actually one year older (comparable to a RS soph) as he attended a prep school for a year before coming to PSU.
a

agreed greg, i know we don't see what happens in practice but giving a few of the OL a chance to show what they can do in a game has very little if any downside, worst that can happen is they'll miss an assignment and give up a sack :)

Let's assume for a moment that what Franklin said is true. Franklin said that the best 5 guys are out there-- if that's the case then I would have serious concerns throwing the younger guys out there. Obviously, Palmer isn't quite ready yet. Palmer beat Jenkins and Sorrell out for the LT starting job. The only rs freshman on the 2 deep besides Sorrell was Beh. I guess what I'm saying is be careful what you wish for- I know it doesn't seem like it could be worse but actually, it can. Maybe someone will step up in practice and earn some playing time but until that happens, I'll stick with JoePa's theory which was always to start a kid a year too late rather than a year too early.

I hear you, Greg, but the vast majority of offensive line starters are rs juniors, seniors and rs seniors. Sure, you get some rs sophomores in there and, rarely, you get true freshman but those are the exceptions. For me, despite the Temple debacle, I think you have to stick with what we've got until a younger player shows the staff they know all the formations and that they can react appropriately. I'm just not sure we're there yet.

After watching the tape again, I'm of the opinion that the best thing we can do is move Nelson over to RT, move Mangiro over to LT and start either Laurant or Rheiner at C-- but if that was the answer, I'd think they'd have done that already.

I can't wait to revisit this topic in 2 years- I have a feeling we'll be far more positive then.

Patience? The sanctions excuse is getting lame. It explains why PSU can't beat very good teams but not why they got hammered by Temple. Not just upset - hammered.
And the OL looks worse than ever, the receivers are nowhere to be seen, the QB is floundering and demoralized and the running game is non-existent. The virus is spreading to the D as well.
So please explain why sanctions are a valid excuse for being embarassed by Temple. Draft class ranks:
2015 - PSU #15, Temple #73
2014 - PSU #24, Temple #54
2013 - PSU #43, Temple #85
2012 - PSU #51, Temple #77
2011 - PSU #35, Temple #108
In that time, Temple has had just one 4-star or better recruit, PSU has 28.
There is only one explanation: Coaching.
If that is "whining", so be it.

Reactions: Marshall30
Patience? The sanctions excuse is getting lame. It explains why PSU can't beat very good teams but not why they got hammered by Temple. Not just upset - hammered.
And the OL looks worse than ever, the receivers are nowhere to be seen, the QB is floundering and demoralized and the running game is non-existent. The virus is spreading to the D as well.
So please explain why sanctions are a valid excuse for being embarassed by Temple. Draft class ranks:

Ah, there are none so blind as those who will not see. All you have to do is read through the multitude of posts explaining why we're in the position we're in. I, too, question the coaching but it's not entirely coaching.

Go back and watch the defense when they were fresh and the defensive QB, Wartman-White, was on the field. As this post began, it was about the LBers. We are thin at LB and we lost the defensive signal caller. Between losing the leader on defense and with the offense going 3 and out for almost the entire last 3 quarters, the defense wore down-- and that would be the case for any defense in the Country. You ask about how the sanctions had anything to do with that-- well, we recruited very small classes in 2011, 2012 and 2013. With only the 2014 class and last year providing us with bigger numbers. Also, keep in mind, we were not recruiting the best talent through those 3 years-- hell, once the (dreaded word, excuse to some) "sanctions" hit, we had to take whoever was willing to come, not the elite talent we would hope for. We got 3 LB recruits in 2014 (Cabinda, Reeder and Farmer- who has been moved back to safety); and 3 last year (Cooper, Bowen and Kelly- who has already been dismissed from the team). The harsh reality is, we have very little experience and depth and as it stands, we'll probably be starting a sophomore, a RS freshman and possibly a true freshman. To suggest the sanctions have nothing to do with it is a gross misstatement. Here's another "fact", not exuse, and it's not sanction realted...Ben Klein has not been able to return from injury, there's another upperclassman who is unable to help.

Back to the offense, I'm not sure it's all on the line, either. Hack did not perform well, there's no other way to say it. Was that because the coaches didn't put him in a position to succeed? I think the answer is, partly, yes however, Hack was responsible for a number of the sacks and it seemed to me he over and under threw receivers throughout the game.

Steve Jones, during the pregame show, pointed out that we have 78 players on scholarship. Of those 78, 39 are rs freshmen or true freshmen. Why are we so bottom heavy with younger players? Well, the answer is...it's coming...wait for it... you're not going to like it... it's because of the... oh, it's so hard to say this to you... it's the sanctions.

If you can't understand that we're not going to do well with this many young players, I'm not sure you'll understand anything else I've said.

One last thought-- I agree, the offensive play calling left a lot to be desired, but it wasn't just the coaching that cost us that game. I'd also point out, a good number of the players who helped us attain a lot of those recruiting rankings are no longer on the team, having left early, transferred, or graduated.

Ah, there are none so blind as those who will not see. All you have to do is read through the multitude of posts explaining why we're in the position we're in. I, too, question the coaching but it's not entirely coaching.

Go back and watch the defense when they were fresh and the defensive QB, Wartman-White, was on the field. As this post began, it was about the LBers. We are thin at LB and we lost the defensive signal caller. Between losing the leader on defense and with the offense going 3 and out for almost the entire last 3 quarters, the defense wore down-- and that would be the case for any defense in the Country. You ask about how the sanctions had anything to do with that-- well, we recruited very small classes in 2011, 2012 and 2013. With only the 2014 class and last year providing us with bigger numbers. Also, keep in mind, we were not recruiting the best talent through those 3 years-- hell, once the (dreaded word, excuse to some) "sanctions" hit, we had to take whoever was willing to come, not the elite talent we would hope for. We got 3 LB recruits in 2014 (Cabinda, Reeder and Farmer- who has been moved back to safety); and 3 last year (Cooper, Bowen and Kelly- who has already been dismissed from the team). The harsh reality is, we have very little experience and depth and as it stands, we'll probably be starting a sophomore, a RS freshman and possibly a true freshman. To suggest the sanctions have nothing to do with it is a gross misstatement. Here's another "fact", not exuse, and it's not sanction realted...Ben Klein has not been able to return from injury, there's another upperclassman who is unable to help.

Back to the offense, I'm not sure it's all on the line, either. Hack did not perform well, there's no other way to say it. Was that because the coaches didn't put him in a position to succeed? I think the answer is, partly, yes however, Hack was responsible for a number of the sacks and it seemed to me he over and under threw receivers throughout the game.

Steve Jones, during the pregame show, pointed out that we have 78 players on scholarship. Of those 78, 39 are rs freshmen or true freshmen. Why are we so bottom heavy with younger players? Well, the answer is...it's coming...wait for it... you're not going to like it... it's because of the... oh, it's so hard to say this to you... it's the sanctions.

If you can't understand that we're not going to do well with this many young players, I'm not sure you'll understand anything else I've said.

One last thought-- I agree, the offensive play calling left a lot to be desired, but it wasn't just the coaching that cost us that game. I'd also point out, a good number of the players who helped us attain a lot of those recruiting rankings are no longer on the team, having left early, transferred, or graduated.
I didn't say the sanctions didn't matter, just that PSU obviously has more raw talent than a team that beat them very badly. You can't blame the sanctions for that.
Coaching of course goes beyond game planning and play calling, awful as those were - it includes player and scheme development and adjustments on the fly. No one who watched that game can say any of those were adequate - in fact they appear to have regressed - and there seems little reason to believe they will improve.
The entire team did not play well, including the QB and receivers, though it's impossible to have a pro-style passing attack with 2 seconds to throw and run routes on most pass plays. The failure of the OL is mostly a coaching failure - failure to develop, to teach, to scheme, to adjust.
As far as players leaving the program early, that may also be a reflection on the confidence in the coaching staff, it may be no coincidence that the surprises were with O players.

I didn't say the sanctions didn't matter, just that PSU obviously has more raw talent than a team that beat them very badly. You can't blame the sanctions for that.
Coaching of course goes beyond game planning and play calling, awful as those were - it includes player and scheme development and adjustments on the fly. No one who watched that game can say any of those were adequate - in fact they appear to have regressed - and there seems little reason to believe they will improve.
The entire team did not play well, including the QB and receivers, though it's impossible to have a pro-style passing attack with 2 seconds to throw and run routes on most pass plays. The failure of the OL is mostly a coaching failure - failure to develop, to teach, to scheme, to adjust.
As far as players leaving the program early, that may also be a reflection on the confidence in the coaching staff, it may be no coincidence that the surprises were with O players.

I'm leaving this thread early jj. No confidence.

the theory by everyone has been that the sanctions trough was in 2014. it feels like we could fall further this year.

also remember what Urban did to Bill in CBus in 2013????? Meyer is all about mind games, and he wanted to punish OBrien to make sure that he "put him in his place". Meyer has already faced Franklin in recruiting and lost.....he will seek to step on JF in CBus this year BIG. he wants to set JF back and will want to flip a couple recruits after the win.

thats such a huge game this year for you guys. May not have to win, but have to avoid the blowout because Urban is going for it.
The rest of the B1G needs OSU slowed down right now, they are on cruise control.

Regarding Donovan, is he trying to force Hack into the wrong type of offense? I'm thinking of Rich Rodriguez when at Michigan and he had Ryan Mallett (transferred to Arkansas because of offense that RR played).
I "think" Hack should have transferred for his career. As of now he has NO career.
Almost by definition, a drop-back QB with slow feet is one dimensional. One dimensional doesn't cut it in college ball unless you've got an NFL-type OL, and very fast WR's who run precise routes. Lacking that, it's too easy to disrupt the offense with the blitzkrieg directed at Hack since the second game last season. Let's hope he can re-boot and those agility drills kick in...ASAP.

I should note, generally speaking, only about 30% of offensive linemen recruits meet their expectations- in other words, 70% don't work out too well. Even the NFL only gets it right about 50% of the time. In other words, predicting offensive linemen success is extremely, extremely difficult.

Need to be able to identify who is going to work out earlier rather than later.....rather than investing 2 or 3 years into a process that will not succeed. Also, need to put those that are working out on the field as soon and as often as possible.

In addition, you really are making a good argument for investing in walk on linemen.....people that everybody else was wrong about.

Apples and oranges. Do that same analysis with just the O-line recruits for both and tell me what you get. A mobile QB can use his talent to make up for some of that. Not so a classic drop back guy. It is hard to throw passes while on your back.

Classic example. Archie Griffin--was a great college player. Two Heismans. Never really lived up to it in the pros. Why? It wasn't totally his talent--he simply had a better O line in college than he did with the Bungles. Mind you, that's rare--but in this case true.

Apples and oranges. Do that same analysis with just the O-line recruits for both and tell me what you get. A mobile QB can use his talent to make up for some of that. Not so a classic drop back guy. It is hard to throw passes while on your back.

Classic example. Archie Griffin--was a great college player. Two Heismans. Never really lived up to it in the pros. Why? It wasn't totally his talent--he simply had a better O line in college than he did with the Bungles. Mind you, that's rare--but in this case true.

I think you make a good point I doubt Brady could play behind this line. Actually, he would demand to be traded !!! But, put in a Russell Wilson, then at least you have a chance.

I think you make a good point I doubt Brady could play behind this line. Actually, he would demand to be traded !!! But, put in a Russell Wilson, then at least you have a chance.

And that is why McSorley would give us a better chance to win......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT