ADVERTISEMENT

LB = KR???

okinburg1

Nov 19, 2004
How hard would it be to move someone, other than a LB, to a position to make a kick return when Neb is pooching it? Farmer had 2 and Johnson had 1 KR yesterday. Can't believe they couldn't shift personnel to avoid this happening, after the 1st one.

Good execution by Neb on their onside kick, but watching that again it appears that our players don't know they can go for the ball before it goes 10 yards.

At some point (or another, if you are like me and believe that one block by PSU puts OSU back far enough where they would have run out of time in their comeback effort, instead of that punt block setting them up in PSU territory), special teams are going to cost this team a game. This does appear to be all on the coaches - can't adjust personnel on the kickoff, haven't prepped hands unit to go after the ball on onside kick.

Reactions: Ct. Lion and PSU73
How hard would it be to move someone, other than a LB, to a position to make a kick return when Neb is pooching it? Farmer had 2 and Johnson had 1 KR yesterday. Can't believe they couldn't shift personnel to avoid this happening, after the 1st one.

Good execution by Neb on their onside kick, but watching that again it appears that our players don't know they can go for the ball before it goes 10 yards.

At some point (or another, if you are like me and believe that one block by PSU puts OSU back far enough where they would have run out of time in their comeback effort, instead of that punt block setting them up in PSU territory), special teams are going to cost this team a game. This does appear to be all on the coaches - can't adjust personnel on the kickoff, haven't prepped hands unit to go after the ball on onside kick.

Well Farmer used to be our kick return guy not that long ago and he was decent at it so I have no problem with him back there. But you are absolutely right they should have made some adjustments after the RU game to not have an answer after the first kick by Nebby was bad. Geez put Polk back deep and bring in Sanders on one side and Farmer up on the other.
The onside kick was horrible. I blame the players more than the coaches. They've been doing this since pee wee league. They know or should know the rules.

And how did we not block any of those punts? Geesh.

How hard would it be to move someone, other than a LB, to a position to make a kick return when Neb is pooching it?
Or "any team". Totally agree! After how many games now and there have been no changes to be a true kick returner in position.
Also, it seems the pooch technique has merit, and perhaps should be considered by PSU as well in certain circumstances.

Or "any team". Totally agree! After how many games now and there have been no changes to be a true kick returner in position.
Also, it seems the pooch technique has merit, and perhaps should be considered by PSU as well in certain circumstances.

You mean as opposed to kicking one out of bounds every week?

Reactions: PSU73 and BBrown

Well it sure would be better than the 2+ kicks out of bounds. SMH.
We also really missed Charles on the Special Teams.

The worst pooch kickoff was the fair catch on our 18 yard line. You simply have to put the ball into the hands of a player used to running with it.

LOL, to be completely honest I didn't know you were allowed to fair catch a kickoff. :confused:

At the risk of drawing the ire of the brigade that doesn’t permit anything negative to ever be said about PSU football...many aspects of the special teams left a lot to be desired this year. The punt team was awesome, but the placekicking, dumb penalties, blocked kicks, etc. represent a definite potential area of improvement for next year. Despite some returns for TDs, the return teams may possibly be better too.

During the game thread yesterday I mentioned about adjusting the KO return team, putting Barkley in an up position and Sanders in the endzone area as another returner. That would have posed more problems for Nebraska. Our coaches still need to up their game when it comes to in game adjustments.

And on another note, the special teams were overall terrible yesterday in most facets of the special team game. It only would have been worse if there was a blocked punt or FG.

I'm pretty sure Koa Farmer had a 59-yard kickoff return against Ohio State. Of course posters here have a short and crappy memory.

Reactions: psu2016
I'm pretty sure Koa Farmer had a 59-yard kickoff return against Ohio State. Of course posters here have a short and crappy memory.
My memory is neither short nor crappy. KF did indeed have a good KR against OSU. How about yesterday? How about how many yards an actual returner may have had against OSU? Don't think it is unreasonable to ask why the ST coaches don't adjust personnel after the other team pooches one.

My memory is neither short nor crappy. KF did indeed have a good KR against OSU. How about yesterday? How about how many yards an actual returner may have had against OSU? Don't think it is unreasonable to ask why the ST coaches don't adjust personnel after the other team pooches one.

You should be the ST coach. lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT