ADVERTISEMENT

Lavert Hill: "Penn State disrespected us last year."

In rugby if you let up it’s considered to be an insult to the other team. Maybe football players should toughen up some.

And what happens if you decide to kneel on the ball and the defensive linemen come firing off the ball and one of your offensive lineman have their knee blown out? The injury risk debate is silly.

When PSU's lead is insurmountable, I think there is a happy median between what JVP did (run between the tackles with 11 defenders waiting) and what Franklin tends to do (run up the score by overplaying starters and throwing bombs). JVP did it out of respect for the opponent, knowing how it feels to get "licked." I think Franklin is trying to generate momentum for the program he is trying to build, and that he perceives more scoring as helping with that objective.

There are pitfalls to both extremes. I'd prefer the happy median.

When PSU's lead is insurmountable, I think there is a happy median between what JVP did (run between the tackles with 11 defenders waiting) and what Franklin tends to do (run up the score by overplaying starters and throwing bombs). JVP did it out of respect for the opponent, knowing how it feels to get "licked." I think Franklin is trying to generate momentum for the program he is trying to build, and that he perceives more scoring as helping with that objective.

I think Franklin’s approach - which is shared by a lot of coaches - is that you don’t let up until the whistle blows regardless of the score. It’s debatable whether that can manifest in “disrespectful” actions (is., is there a differfnce between being up four scores and throwing with 8 minutes to go or hurrying up to run a play with 20 seconds to go?) but he isn’t the first or last coach to run his program that way.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I think Franklin’s approach - which is shared by a lot of coaches - is that you don’t let up until the whistle blows regardless of the score. It’s debatable whether that can manifest in “disrespectful” actions (is., is there a differfnce between being up four scores and throwing with 8 minutes to go or hurrying up to run a play with 20 seconds to go?) but he isn’t the first or last coach to run his program that way.
Remaining aggressive with substitutes should never be an issue...case in point: Sean Clifford and Daniel George...great experience for the young players, they can continue to play hard, but the starters have been pulled for sportsmanship and protected from unnecessary injury potential.

And what happens if you decide to kneel on the ball and the defensive linemen come firing off the ball and one of your offensive lineman have their knee blown out? The injury risk debate is silly.
This is silly. Unless you have a douchebag like schiano that orders his players to do it, it's common knowledge in sportsmanship

1. I don’t think franklin did this unintentionally with respect to Michigan. I’m glad they feel disrespected. Maybe they shouldn’t have curb stomped us the prior year If they didn’t want us to return the favor.

2. The way I see it, there is no in between if you are a man of principle. You either play the whole game or you back off. In between is for undecideds.

Agree with your logic.

But I also believe PSU has been demonized and so unfairly punished like no other program for something ( a crime) that is coming to light at so many other institutions.

We are pissed not only by the unfair punishment that has hurt the prigram for 8 years or more, but how the other programs have further abused our situation on and off the field.

Franklin knows what these coaches have done. Almost all of them are snakes.

I know Joe always took the high road.
And look how he he got repaid.

F'm We are basically on our own.

Let them go through what we did, then they can judge us. It will never happen.

Agree with your logic.

But I also believe PSU has been demonized and so unfairly punished like no other program for something ( a crime) that is coming to light at so many other institutions.

We are pissed not only by the unfair punishment that has hurt the prigram for 8 years or more, but how the other programs have further abused our situation on and off the field.

F’m is right. They all took their shot at tearing PSU down so they could put themselves on a pedestal. Meanwhile in Michigan's case their head football coach was having sleepovers with teenage boys. Now they want to claim “disrespect”. F’m indeed.

Never mind

You just pointed out that it has happened, with meatheaded Schiano. How should I be convinced that juvenile, teenage sleepovers, picking his nose and eating it on the sildelines of a stadium with 100,000 people in attendance Harbaugh would not order the same thing?

You just pointed out that it has happened, with meatheaded Schiano. How should I be convinced that juvenile, teenage sleepovers, picking his nose and eating it on the sildelines of a stadium with 100,000 people in attendance Harbaugh would not order the same thing?
I forgot that Franklin has no skeletons in his closet. Excellent point

I forgot that Franklin has no skeletons in his closet. Excellent point

Did he contact the alleged rape victim in the days after the attack? Sure did. To cover it up? Take it away, Nashville Assistant District Attorney Tom Thurman: "I think he and his wife called and said they were praying for her and thinking about her." Offering his thoughts and prayers for a student he knew who was going through a tough time? Hell, the prosecutor seems, if nothing else, absolutely sympathetic to Franklin, frustrated that his name is being dragged through the mud. "It was probably a pretty nice thing to do," Thurman said, "and it gets thrown up like this."

Did he contact the alleged rape victim in the days after the attack? Sure did. To cover it up? Take it away, Nashville Assistant District Attorney Tom Thurman: "I think he and his wife called and said they were praying for her and thinking about her." Offering his thoughts and prayers for a student he knew who was going through a tough time? Hell, the prosecutor seems, if nothing else, absolutely sympathetic to Franklin, frustrated that his name is being dragged through the mud. "It was probably a pretty nice thing to do," Thurman said, "and it gets thrown up like this."
Wasnt talking bout his vandy days. Closer to the topic, if franklin ran that extra play cause michigan deserved it, what did georgia state ever do to psu?

Agree with your logic.

Simply put, f*ck everyone. 409, Success With Honor.

That’s a skeleton? Lol. Gtfo.
Over picking boogers? In this thread ? Sure. Franklin has a history of running up scores on teams. It's one thing for a fanbase to accept it for what it is, another to be surprised that opposing teams dislike him for it. If another coach did that to psu, plenty of fans here would be upset.

Over picking boogers? In this thread ? Sure. Franklin has a history of running up scores on teams. It's one thing for a fanbase to accept it for what it is, another to be surprised that opposing teams dislike him for it. If another coach did that to psu, plenty of fans here would be upset.

Franklin has a history of winning the Big 10 East, unlike your preferred coach.

MSU ran it up on us. Michigan ran it up on us. Don’t remember any pregame quotes from our players crying about it fwiw. Mentioned it after the games the following year, to be sure.

Whatever.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
MSU ran it up on us. Michigan ran it up on us. Don’t remember any pregame quotes from our players crying about it fwiw. Mentioned it after the games the following year, to be sure.

Whatever.
Not sure not msu but didnt michigan put up points within the confines of the game? They shut it down in the 4th quarter. If they wanted to, they could of put up at least one more Td. Quite different than calling a timeout up 56-0

Not sure not msu but didnt michigan put up points within the confines of the game? They shut it down in the 4th quarter. If they wanted to, they could of put up at least one more Td. Quite different than calling a timeout up 56-0
Maybe we should have offered them our kicker too or had them move the ball to the center of the field. Count to 3 Mississippi before rushing....where does it stop?

Reactions: Connorpozlee
For a bunch of people who think they are THE college football bluebloods, they sure are insecure. Their players are insecure, their fans are insecure, and their coaches are insecure.

If we are as inconsequential as they all say we are, you'd think they would just ignore us.
Not winning a conference title in15 years has spooked them. They hear footsteps in the dark.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
I do believe that Franklin running up the scores has come back to bite us on occasion. Last year, Michigan State had added incentive.

What added incentive did MSU have? Are you forgetting the 2015 game? So we ran it up in 2016, so what? And we would have beaten them in 2017 if not for the whole bizarre weather thing. So, not sure what you are referring to.

It stops when you don't call a time out up 56-0?
Maybe consider two things:
1) why he said they called timeout
2) whether calling the timeout actually has any effect on the result of the play

If it weren’t for the announcers being inconvenienced to stick around a few minutes longer no one would have thought twice about it once you heard the answer to #1.

I get that franklin wanted the shut out, I dont ag
Maybe consider two things:
1) why he said they called timeout
2) whether calling the timeout actually has any effect on the result of the play

If it weren’t for the announcers being inconvenienced to stick around a few minutes longer no one would have thought twice about it once you heard the answer to #1.
If u actually believed what Franklin's reason was, never mind. Doesn't matter if it had any effect, it's the intent.

I get that franklin wanted the shut out, I dont ag

If u actually believed what Franklin's reason was, never mind. Doesn't matter if it had any effect, it's the intent.

That’s the fantastic, ignorant world of being a Michigan fan. Unless Franklin said exactly what you wanted to hear, you wouldn’t believe it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT