ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

I get this viewpoint and that chaos is not what is good for coaches or necessarily program stability.

If a player can leave but has to sit out a year, then that is a huge hindrance to transfer. I get why coaches use that to their advantage since it is a system rule, but I don't really feel comfortable with it.

I know schools invest a lot of time and in a lot of cases, scholarship money, to the athletes, but they invest a lot more in coaching staffs and recruiting, and they can leave without restriction. I would prefer a system where players could go wherever. I know why coaches don't want that, and I kind of get why NCAA doesn't that, but I don't feel comfortable with it.
If you don't think free agency has hurt fan interest in Pro Football and Basketball, then I would agree. If athletes can just transfer whenever and wherever they want, you have just brought free agency into college sports. Chaos I tell you, total Chaos.

If Nick is dead set on transferring to Rutgers but still wants to wrestle this season perhaps he and Cael could come to an agreement. Nick wrestles for PSU this year and if he still wants to transfer next year Cael gives him the release and PSU recruits a 125 this year.
For the 100th time ....
IT"S NOT UP TO CAEL.
IT IS A BIG 10 RULE.
ONLY THE BIG 10 CAN ALLOW NS TO WRESTLE AT RUTGERS WITHOUT LOSING A YEAR OF ELIGIBILITY.
CAEL CAN GRANT A WAIVER AND RECOMMEND NO LOSS OF ELIGIBILITY BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Not hearing good things about Nick today.fwiw.
Is that what the 2 guys outside the gym said?

south-park-s05e03c09-cripple-fight-16x9.jpg

Reactions: Terry57
I would like to know what the true issue is for NS. Homesick, not getting enough attention at PSU(because of all the other talent on the team) how the injury was handled or is his Dad butt hurt over something?????

One thing that I cant forget---last season when RU visited Rec Hall..when NS was introduced the RU fans booed him! now with what is going on he is the next best thing to sliced bread! (on the RU board)

IMO--He should not be released for a least 1 year, which will allow PSU to recruit....kids have to learn that they live with the choices that they make, this is the real world now..unless there is a TRUE hardship.

there is no reason Cael should grant the release. can't let him walk free to a legit competitor outside or to a BIG school. let him sit the year.

For the 100th time ....
IT"S NOT UP TO CAEL.
IT IS A BIG 10 RULE.
ONLY THE BIG 10 CAN ALLOW NS TO WRESTLE AT RUTGERS WITHOUT LOSING A YEAR OF ELIGIBILITY.
CAEL CAN GRANT A WAIVER AND RECOMMEND NO LOSS OF ELIGIBILITY BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER.
Absolutely correct. !!!!! Big Ten only grants immediate eligibility for very special circumstances like coaching changes.

Sounds like too much drama over one kid. Not worth the headache. Let RU put him on a pedestal if they want. There are too many actual champions on the PSU squad to be distracted by one person. If he's gone or goes so be it. Who's up next? There isn't an individual worthy of all of this drama when a decision is pretty simple--go where you want, accept the consequences like a grown up.

99%+ of the drama has been on the message boards like this with no actual verified information. JMHO.

If Suriano leaves, it will be harder to break the NCAA Tournament scoring record.
What is our line up without him? Six weights accounted for who's:
Our five champs scored between 22.5 and 28 points. I'm pretty sure nevils scored 10. 5 times 23 equals 115 plus 10. Everybody basically doing the same we're at 125 what's the record and how do we get there?
P.S. I won't loose any sleep if we only get the team title

Reactions: Unlimited424
If Suriano leaves, it will be harder to break the NCAA Tournament scoring record.
Just hearing that Nick wants to be the big fish in a small pond. In short he wants all the attention. Needs to groe up to be honest. He will have 10 times a better shot at winning Titles at PSU. He MUST relize right NOW this would be the biggest mistake of his like. Listen to Cael Nick he will NOT steer you wrong. He is listening to freakin Rutgers people who are 10 levels down from PSU. Nick needs to know that some way some how....

Just hearing that Nick wants to be the big fish in a small pond. In short he wants all the attention. Needs to groe up to be honest. He will have 10 times a better shot at winning Titles at PSU. He MUST relize right NOW this would be the biggest mistake of his like. Listen to Cael Nick he will NOT steer you wrong. He is listening to freakin Rutgers people who are 10 levels down from PSU. Nick needs to know that some way some how....
I suggest you tweet him, message on his Facebook, snapchat him a picture of Cael holding the trophies, and THEN, AND ONLY THEN, call him! Gotta get him softened up....:cool:

If NS becomes Rutger's First NCAA champ, and he's probably the odds on favorite, he immediately becomes a living legend in NJ. AT PSU, he becomes one of 5 or 6 in a given year and PSU's what... 20th or so overall NCAA champ?

At Rutgers, he also re- joins fellow Bergen Catholic wrestlers Pagano, Grello and Mulligan in the starting lineup. 40 % of the lineup that he wrestled with in HS. His HS buddies he's wrestled with for many years (except for Pagano who started in public HS), plus he joins another 4x NJ champ , Anthony Ashnault, in the lineup.

I don't know why he wants to transfer, and doubt any of you do too, but I imagine the vast majority of NJ wrestling fans sure hope he transfers.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If NS becomes Rutger's First NCAA champ, and he's probably the odds on favorite, he immediately becomes a living legend in NJ. AT PSU, he becomes one of 5 or 6 in a given year and PSU's what... 20th or so overall NCAA champ?

At Rutgers, he also re- joins fellow Bergen Catholic wrestlers Pagano, Grello and Mulligan in the starting lineup. 40 % of the lineup that he wrestled with in HS. His HS buddies he's wrestled with for many years (except for Pagano who started in public HS), plus he joins another 4x NJ champ , Anthony Ashnault, in the lineup.

I don't know why he wants to transfer, and doubt any of you do too, but I imagine the vast majority of NJ wrestling fans sure hope he transfers.
I wish Nick had originally committed to wrestle at Rutgers. As a Rutgers fan that's been patiently waiting since Goodale took over this is exciting times for NJ wrestling!

Reactions: rubigtimenow

No doubt it would be great for the Rutgers program if all that happened, but two things. One, he will lose a year of eligibility and any chance of being one of, iirc, 27 3 time champs. There are over 4 times as many two time champs. Two, if Rutgers takes the two top wrestlers in NJ history and neither makes the top of the podium in college, that could ultimately be a big blow to the program when trying to attract talent. So, yes, he would make Rutgers history if it all worked out, but there is a downside and imagine the pressure on him to win. At Penn State, there would be a lot less pressure. Two edged swords all around.

If nick would have went to rutgers. PsU could have offered Lee more money (or another recruit). Thus why you don't grant full release to big team or major competitor

Reactions: Dogwelder
I wish Nick had originally committed to wrestle at Rutgers. As a Rutgers fan that's been patiently waiting since Goodale took over this is exciting times for NJ wrestling!

As a PSU fan I wish he would have done the same. If his heart is in NJ he should have gone there to begin with. PSU is kind of caught with their pants down now especially since they didn't think they needed someone at his weight class. I got homesick too when I went away to college, but I got over it and ended up having a lot of fun my first two years.

No doubt it would be great for the Rutgers program if all that happened, but two things. One, he will lose a year of eligibility and any chance of being one of, iirc, 27 3 time champs. There are over 4 times as many two time champs. Two, if Rutgers takes the two top wrestlers in NJ history and neither makes the top of the podium in college, that could ultimately be a big blow to the program when trying to attract talent. So, yes, he would make Rutgers history if it all worked out, but there is a downside and imagine the pressure on him to win. At Penn State, there would be a lot less pressure. Two edged swords all around.

Suriano seems to thrive on pressure. 2x champ vs 3x champ probably not a big thing to him and his family, since it seems (key word 'seems'), he's transferring whether he gets to wrestle this year or not.

For you Penn ST fans, it hurts a little, but you still continue your streak of NCAA titles if everyone stays healthy. For us RU fans, a good roster becomes much better, maybe break into the top 8 or 10, and Suriano makes HIstory and becomes a NJ Wrestling Legend. Unless Anthony Ashnault beats him too it, not outside the realm of possibility.

PS- how many of you Penn St fans remember an Ira Lubert winning Heavyweight at the NJ championships? HIs HS, Newton, was only 10 miles or so from mine.

98: Robert Jiorle (Phillipsburg)
106: Dennis Smith (Lenape)
115: Greg Surenian (Randolph)
123: Ed Kochajki (Bergenfield)
130: Ed Bailey (Plainfield)
136: Herb Campbell (Seton Hall)
141: Gregzie White (Pennsville)
148: Gary Markowski (Newton)
157: Robert Zaro (Phillipsburg)
168: Doug Blake (Hackettstown)
178: James Hickey (Essex Catholic)
Hwt: Ira Lubert (Newton)

Last edited:
I'm sort of growing tired of this whole thing. Just announce your intentions and live with the consequences. I loved watching Nick last year and I spoke to him and relayed that to him at nationals last year. If he wants out of the best room in college wrestling, so be it.. but take your year of ineligibility and live with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT