ADVERTISEMENT

Last night mother nature sent me a bear for my birthday present.

I've seen people try mothballs with no success. In my experience, a 12 gage round into the air can be effective and moving them out for a few weeks.

Moth balls.

You can purchase a box from Wal Mart for $4. Using cheesecloth, you can make 10-15 “naphthalene balls” (comprised of 4-5 moth balls wrapped up in cheesecloth).

Don’t lay them on the ground (your dog might eat them), but rather pin them around your deck and/on nearby trees.
thank you PPB, never thought of using moth balls, to date i've been using my beer balls which aren't big enough. Seriously, over the years I used moth balls in the wood chuck holes around the house to deter the furry creatures.

Step - Given how long it takes you to “take a leak” and, that you have to bang “it” against the bannister several times to achieve full stream, you’re very lucky to have a friendly sister in law looking down onto your deck. ;)
So this is how the term originated.....tally whacker

Last edited:
I've seen people try mothballs with no success. In my experience, a 12 gage round into the air can be effective and moving them out for a few weeks.
Well wil, over the years, I have lobed 357's & 44 mag's. that kick up the dirt and rocks next to the furry buggers, then they run like the wind.

The pics I took are outside my bedroom doors. The farthest the bear was as I took the pictures was about 8'. The lass wasn't bothered by me taking the pics.The pic where she is looking behind, the bear is watching my grandson standing on the farm road about 75' away. Didn't bother her. I let her on the deck about 10 minutes then decided I had enough when she started pulling at the feeder. I got up and started walking to the dinning room doors to the deck and she took off, in fact she beat me to the dinning room door and existed down the deck steps. She remembers from past experiences that nothing good was going to happen once I stepped onto the deck.

"Bang bang, I shot you down
Bang bang, you hit the ground
Bang bang, that awful sound
Bang bang, I used to shoot you down"

I am liking the pepper spray solution more and more. Not a bear but I had a skunk and a young fox at my table scraps pile last night at dusk. Mr. Skunk got there first. Every time the fox got close, the skunk would shoot his tail straight up and the little punk would bolt 30 feet away and lay down, then slowly start creeping back in.

Finally the skunk had stuffed himself and waddled away, and the little fox came in for the leftovers.

Moth balls.

You can purchase a box from Wal Mart for $4. Using cheesecloth, you can make 10-15 “naphthalene balls” (comprised of 4-5 moth balls wrapped up in cheesecloth).

Don’t lay them on the ground (your dog might eat them), but rather pin them around your deck and/on nearby trees.

I don't know. That makes me feel so bad for the moth...

Reactions: step.eng69
I am liking the pepper spray solution more and more. Not a bear but I had a skunk and a young fox at my table scraps pile last night at dusk. Mr. Skunk got there first. Every time the fox got close, the skunk would shoot his tail straight up and the little punk would bolt 30 feet away and lay down, then slowly start creeping back in.

Finally the skunk had stuffed himself and waddled away, and the little fox came in for the leftovers.
Spraying the young one, I could do that. I may have a problem with spraying the mother or another grown bear that decides to relax on the deck. It's a terrifying sight when a bear stands up 15' away and smiles. Step is going to $hitting in the woods, not the bear.

My brother in law and I went rabbit hunting a for few days when the land was nothing but undeveloped land and didn't see one rabbit. We had so many fox and no rabbits on the property.

So in the late 70's, while clearing the trees, brush and stone walls for our houses on the homestead, Pop decided to make habitats for the rabbits using the trees and heavy brush we cut. After a few years rabbits were starting to appear and for a strange reason, the fox were diminishing. I can't even remember the last time I saw a fox on the property since the 80's.

Dem, Any insight on why the rabbits increased and the fox diminished?

Spraying the young one, I could do that. I may have a problem with spraying the mother or another grown bear that decides to relax on the deck. It's a terrifying sight when a bear stands up 15' away and smiles. Step is going to $hitting in the woods, not the bear.

My brother in law and I went rabbit hunting a for few days when the land was nothing but undeveloped land and didn't see one rabbit. We had so many fox and no rabbits on the property.

So in the late 70's, while clearing the trees, brush and stone walls for our houses on the homestead, Pop decided to make habitats for the rabbits using the trees and heavy brush we cut. After a few years rabbits were starting to appear and for a strange reason, the fox were diminishing. I can't even remember the last time I saw a fox on the property since the 80's.

Dem, Any insight on why the rabbits increased and the fox diminished?
There is an old British study on this fox/rabbit conundrum. Perfect world, the fox keep the rabbits in check, right? But what keeps the foxes in check? Well, in a word, mange: https://goo.gl/images/89F9Kc.

So, when there's nothing but foxes, they get malnourished and get sick and die off. This allows the rabbits to grow to staggering numbers. I think rabbits get worms or other parasites, and that drops their numbers, OR foxes suddenly realize there is a place with lots of rabbits, and eats them up. In a particular location, the foxes may seem diminished for a long time, but eventually they will come back. Of course, COYOTES eat fox kits I would assume , and now those SOBs are everywhere, so the foxes are both predator and prey.

Check this out:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/divorce-busting/200908/the-foxes-and-the-rabbits

Last edited:
There is an old British study on this fox/rabbit conundrum. Perfect world, the fox keep the rabbits in check, right? But what keeps the foxes in check? Well, in a word, mange: https://goo.gl/images/89F9Kc.

So, when there's nothing but foxes, they get malnourished and get sick and die off. This allows the rabbits to grow to staggering numbers. I think rabbits get worms or other parasites, and that drops their numbers, OR foxes suddenly realize there is a place with lots of rabbits, and eats them up. In a particular location, the foxes may seem diminished for a long time, but eventually they will come back. Of course, COYOTES eat fox kits I would assume , and now those SOBs are everywhere, so the foxes are both predator and prey.

Check this out:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/divorce-busting/200908/the-foxes-and-the-rabbits
Interesting, thanks Dem. I was a novice rabbit hunter that year, and didn't continue. Bobchi (grandmother) would cautioned my brother in law about hunting rabbits too soon, as they had worms. She'd know, because she dressed em out.

Not a bear but I had a skunk and a young fox at my table scraps pile last night at dusk.
Haven't had scraps pile in decades, in the mid-80's my wife had a large dumpster to service the seven families on the homestead. The dumptster has become a problem the past few years. The bears drag out the garbage and make a mess, plus it keeps the damn bears around. Last year, I posted a picture of the dumpster and the bear trap.

The only piles we make (that aren't recycled) are the burnable items.

In the past 40 years, bear incidences were very infrequent during any one year. We believe the gas pipe line being built just about a mile north of us has contribute to the bear frequency the last few years. The pipe line work has disturbed much of the woodlands and causing the bears to relocate. I understand bears may have a travel radius of 2-5 miles, and possibility the work on the pipe line has made many overlapping territories.

Last edited:
Haven't had scraps pile in decades, in the mid-80's my wife had a large dumpster to service the seven families on the homestead. The dumptster has become a problem the past few years. The bears drag out the garbage and make a mess, plus it keeps the damn bears around. Last year, I posted a picture of the dumpster and the bear trap.

The only piles we make (that aren't recycled) are the burnable items.

In the past 40 years, bear incidences were very infrequent during any one year. We believe the gas pipe line being built just about a mile north of us has contribute to the bear frequency the last few years. The pipe line work has disturbed much of the woodlands and causing the bears to relocate. I understand bears may have a travel radius of 2-5 miles, and possibility the work on the pipe line has made many overlapping territories.
In lots of places there are just plain MORE bears than there used to be, too.

Step...happy birthday. Go to a salon or barber shop...ask for a garbage bag filled with human hair...spread it near the woods were the critters are hanging out....they will scoot.

Step...happy birthday. Go to a salon or barber shop...ask for a garbage bag filled with human hair...spread it near the woods were the critters are hanging out....they will scoot.
LOL bkmnitt, I first read your post as going to a saloon or barber shop. I thought for a moment on how I'm to get a bag of hair at the bar.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
LOL bkmnitt, I first read your post as going to a saloon or barber shop. I thought for a moment on how I'm to get a bag of hair at the bar.

For a coupla free brews you can have all my hair! From all parts of my anatomy as well!!! And try Irish Spring Soap....critters for some reason don't like the smell. I know it would keep The Glov off of your back porch!

Step,
Be careful with pissing on any portion of your wooden deck. Some old timers in Cross Forks, Potter County, once told me that they had their own way of handling hunters from camps around their town who acted like jerks. For the offending hunters they'd wait until the hunting season was over and then every time they would pass the camp of the offending hunter they would stop and piss on the camps steps and wooden supports. After that, Mother Nature would take over in the form of porcupines who would come and gnaw the steps and supports to get the salt from the urine.

@step.eng69 : So, after the little Skunk on Fox show Sunday night, I get up this morning at 6:30, look outside, and there is a big fat raccoon gorging himself on the feedblock I set out for the deer. He was so damned big I thought he was a dog. Then another coon tried to come out and join him, but he ran the smaller interloper off.

Lately it has been a parade of critters. I can skip the bears, though. I'll direct them to your place.

All of the years I've lived here (since 1978) I have never been bothered by coon. The wood chuck are becoming prevalent this year, burrowing in the front and back along the foundation walls. Had this problem years ago, and now its back. As much as I hate, I'll eventually shoot them, then I'll have to drag them to the swamp.

My wife told last week me my one granddaughter dropped in and was frightened by the blacksnake that slithered inside our front concrete block stoop. Actually, the stoop to the front steps is a not so legal wet well we set up to capture the wash water, in lieu of it going into the septic system. Right hand up to the Lord, last year two blacksnakes and a chipmunk were sharing the same location. I have no idea how that chipmunk is still living, it often sits on the concrete stoop during the day. Over the week end, i saw one of the ground hogs enter the stoop.

My wife was laughing at the granddaughter and told her last year Pop (me) was also startled when I opened the front door to find a blacksnake draped on both sides and over the top sill of the door.

Reactions: demlion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT