ADVERTISEMENT

Last night mother nature sent me a bear for my birthday present.

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 72
She sent me one of the two bear siblings that have been pestering me late at night for the past year and half. The mother must have finally given them the boot.

This one measures around 32 inches high at the shoulders. A lot of growing left in this young lass.

I understand that it's not uncommon for the mother to let her female pup in the mother's marked territory but chase the male pup. About eight years ago, a very large male stripped the wooden cedar siding from both sides of the six foot sliding glass doors on my father in law's house. That summer, one of my bro in laws had his Webber grill remove from his deck and found in the yard ruined. Last year the Game Commission bear trapped a male on our homestead.

IMG_20180615_194856058.jpg

IMG_20180615_195004752.jpg

IMG_20180615_194959047.jpg

IMG_20180615_194955644.jpg

IMG_20180615_194954454.jpg

IMG_20180615_194951930.jpg

Step, the juvenile bears are run off by their mother when she comes back into heat especially the males, since when her new boyfriend shows up he will kill the males.

WHEN the juvenile bears are first on their own they don't know what the hell they're doing and they start getting in a lot of trouble; walking down the streets of little towns and flipping everybody out. But it's mostly because they're stupid.

Last edited:
She sent me one of the two bear siblings that have been pestering me late at night for the past year and half. The mother must have finally given them the boot.

This one measures around 32 inches high at the shoulders. A lot of growing left in this young lass.

I understand that it's not uncommon for the mother to let her female pup in the mother's marked territory but chase the male pup. About eight years ago, a very large male stripped the wooden cedar siding from both sides of the six foot sliding glass doors on my father in law's house. That summer, one of my bro in laws had his Webber grill remove from his deck and found in the yard ruined. Last year the Game Commission bear trapped a male on our homestead.

Something tells me you two have a bright future.

urs-dansator.jpg

Step, the juvenile bears are run off by their mother when she comes back into heat especially the males, since when her new boyfriend shows up he will kill the males.

WHEN the juvenile bears are first on their own they don't know what the hell they're doing and they getting in a lot of trouble; walking down the streets of little towns and flipping everybody out. But it's mostly because they're stupid.

Thanks Dem, I was hoping if I used safflower seeds in lieu of sunflower, the bear wouldn't be attracted to the feeders. Wrong, as much as I like feeding the birds, it's not going to happen this summer. During the winter months, I usually have four feeders for the birds.

Thanks Dem, I was hoping if I used safflower seeds in lieu of sunflower, the bear wouldn't be attracted to the feeders. Wrong, as much as I like feeding the birds, it's not going to happen this summer. During the winter months, I usually have four feeders for the birds.
Oh they can be an unholy terror. No idea if there is any kind of stink.you can put on a birdfeeder to drive them off.

Maybe if, when you pee before bed, you pee on the post that holds the feeder up, that would ease them back. OTOH, it might make them commence to hunt you like the prey animal you potentially are. :(

Reactions: step.eng69

WHEN the juvenile bears are first on their own they don't know what the hell they're doing and they getting in a lot of trouble; walking down the streets of little towns and flipping everybody out. But it's mostly because they're stupid.

Like da’ Chicago Bears!

Oh they can be an unholy terror. No idea if there is any kind of stink.you can put on a birdfeeder to drive them off.

Maybe if, when you pee before bed, you pee on the post that holds the feeder up, that would ease them back. OTOH, it might make them commence to hunt you like the prey animal you potentially are. :(
LOL, a few years ago I was pissing from the deck onto the lower couple of steps to mark my territory. Also kept a few plastic cups w/ammonia on the top steps.

The pissing solution is to remove the feeders until deer season. Unfortunately, this past winter was so unusual that when the temperatures rose, the mother and the pups were just having a great time romping on the deck.

One night, as the mother was leading the group off the deck, she paused by the french doors, looked at me and snorted, then continued at a leisurely pace toward the steps. I couldn't stop laughing.

Last fall, my sis in law, who lives about 450ft up the hill from me call late one evening to let me know the bears were around. The mother was laying along (blocking) their patio door eating the sunflower seeds contained in a 40 gal metal barrel.

Last edited:

Had one of those myself a while back, step. Still do.:)

f71c6988e7a21ca5c3bd3e38c01be217.jpg

Just kidding. :D

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

LOL, a few years ago I was pissing from the deck onto the lower couple of steps to mark my territory. Also kept a few plastic cups w/ammonia on the top steps.

The pissing solution is to remove the feeders until deer season. Unfortunately, this past winter was so unusual that when the temperatures rose, the mother and the pups were just having a great time romping on the deck.

One night, as the mother was leading the group off the deck, she paused by the french doors, looked at me and snorted, then continued at a leisurely pace toward the steps. I couldn't stop laughing.

Last fall, my sis in law, who lives about 450ft up the hill from me call late one evening to let me know the bears were around. The mother was laying along (blocking) their patio door eating the sunflower seeds contained in a 40 gal metal barrel.
Prior to taking a wizz off your deck eat some asparagus.

Whizzing from the deck is one of the great joys of living in the woods.

I never knew until i moved out here. That hissing noise of a deck whiz is the sound of freedom!:eek:

Great insight dem. Thanks. You’re pretty smart when you aren’t talking politics or playing with power tools! ;)
No, seriously that’s good stuff!

Step - Given how long it takes you to “take a leak” and, that you have to bang “it” against the bannister several times to achieve full stream, you’re very lucky to have a friendly sister in law looking down onto your deck. ;)

We just came up on a mom and three cubs last weekend. Was really neat but wasn’t our real home.

My suggestion for bears that come up on the deck or hang around patio doors is a taste of bear spray like Udap pepper spray. Not a drenching, just a light fogging. They hate it, will run like hell and will probably not return. May seem a little harsh to some folks, but best for you and the critter. Remember the old adage "a fed bear is a dead bear" is often true. Amazon has it for about $40.

Complain about the bears, BUT you put our a couple of bird feeders for them to nibble. Why not send an engraved invitations!

Complain about the bears, BUT you put our a couple of bird feeders for them to nibble. Why not send an engraved invitations!
Thanks for the advice,
After 40 years living in the family homestead on the top of this mountain I guess I just haven't adjusted to the fact that bears and oiled sunflower seeds are a marriage.

I don't feed the bear, I tried a seed for summer day time use only that possibly they would not like. Obviously the beer also like safflower seed also.The feeders are inside during the night. The bears romping on the deck at night occurred during several of the winter months. Any suggestions on keeping the sow and her cubs off the deck in the winter aside from electric wire at the foot of the steps.

Last edited:

Salt-peter smoke bombs work oh so well. Mix some chlorine in with it as well for a bright red glow as it burns.

Don't inhale though or you get a limp-dick for a few hours! LOL!!!

My suggestion for bears that come up on the deck or hang around patio doors is a taste of bear spray like Udap pepper spray. Not a drenching, just a light fogging. They hate it, will run like hell and will probably not return. May seem a little harsh to some folks, but best for you and the critter. Remember the old adage "a fed bear is a dead bear" is often true. Amazon has it for about $40.

M-80's AND M-200's will work just as well sir. Let me tell you!!! LOL!!!

Where exactly do you live? Don't send the to Shavertown!

Thanks for the advice,
After 40 years living in the family homestead on the top of this mountain I guess I just haven't adjusted to the fact that bears and oiled sunflower seeds are a marriage.

I don't feed the bear, I tried a seed for summer day time use only that possibly they would not like. Obviously the beer also like safflower seed also.The feeders are inside during the night. The bears romping on the deck at night occurred during several of the winter months. Any suggestions on keeping the sow and her cubs off the deck in the winter aside from electric wire at the foot of the steps.

Not just the sunflower seeds, they seem to be attracted to bird feeders in general. I know of several people in my neighborhood who put up bird feeders and regretted it.

Happy birthday Step

Any suggestions on keeping the sow and her cubs off the deck in the winter aside from electric wire at the foot of the steps.
Moth balls.

You can purchase a box from Wal Mart for $4. Using cheesecloth, you can make 10-15 “naphthalene balls” (comprised of 4-5 moth balls wrapped up in cheesecloth).

Don’t lay them on the ground (your dog might eat them), but rather pin them around your deck and/on nearby trees.

Last edited:
I opened this thread half-expecting to hear a story about a mall-built stuffed animal.

The actual story is MUCH better. Bears are good animals. Been a few years since I've seen one though. I'm currently seeing a lot of coyotes (Colorado foothills).

saw a young bear deer hunting last year. It was a good 150+ yards away behind a log for a good 2 hours. Couldn't really tell how big it was as only it's head would pop up once in a while. Eventually it came out and started walking up the hill so was disappointed never got a close look. Five minutes later I see it coming down the hill right at me. Started to get a little scared as not looking to go head to head with a bear, but I was in a tree stand about 15' off the ground so felt pretty safe. Eventually after a lazy 30 minute stroll down the hill, it passed within about 10' from under my treestand. Wind was blowing opposite direction so never appeared to get a whiff of me. Was a juvenile, no mother in sight anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT