ADVERTISEMENT

A tribute to my mom! Reposted from that hurtful night several years ago.

TheGLOV

Gold Member
My heart is very heavy tonight. It so very tough to write this but so absolutely necessary. I must announce that I lost my mom yesterday. It hurts so bad. That phone call, the one that comes in the very wee hours of the morning, was made to me yesterday. Oh my heart is heavy. I walk the floors of where I now live, talking to my mom. I'm sure he hears me. I'm sure she knows just how much I loved her. I shake my head, I take deep sighs, I know I've now lost the greatest woman who ever loved me. She gave me everything. Undying love and support, words of wisdom in troubled times. For those of you who have lost your mother or father, you know of what I speak.

My insides are trembling now. I'm thinking so much of times me and my mom shared. I flash from one picture to the next; one memory to the next. Each time I realize now how I'll never see my mom again. Her expressions, her voice, everything I vividly remember is so painfully now a memory. It hurts.

I had to travel over to her Facebook page. You know I just had to. I find it so hard to look at a picture of my mom and see the very faced that loved me so so much. I'm not good at typing a eulogy but I guess that's what this is.

For those of you who knew my mom, let me tell you that you made a difference in her life. Even if it was just for one brief moment, I can say she enjoyed meeting you. She did. She enjoyed meeting people. Friends and acquaintances, anyone who I even spoke of she would; when we talked, would often ask me about. She just enjoyed talking about and finding out about people.

She made so many friends. I want to thank each and every one of you out there that made a difference in my mom's life. I thank you so very much for making her happy. I thank you for anything; even if it was the smallest of things, that made my mom happy. Believe me, it made her day!

It is so painful to type this. For anybody who has not told that special person in your life that you love them; please do so now. Do it the very first chance you get.

Yesterday, was so very difficult. My mind was racing everywhere. Moments in time seem to last forever. Time moved so slow yet; you have to do what needs to be done. Conversations, phone calls, decisions, all seem to have the weight of a 1000 lbs. if not more; must be made and dealt with. It hurts so bad.

Mom, I owe you so very much! So so much!

For those of you that I did not talk to yesterday, I will try to reach out to you today and the coming days. If you have my phone number, or if anybody asks you for my phone number and you have it, please give it to them and call.

Any words of wisdom that my mom spoke to me are resounding in my head now. She gave me and made me; the essence of who I am. Though God has called her home, she will live on in me. That I know for sure.

I am going to try and post her picture here for all to see. I only hope I don't make a mistake and lose this what I've typed.

You don't know how many times I had to stop tying this and wipe my eyes. It hurts; it really does.

My mom; like yours, was the best!

I love you mom!!

Your son,

Bob

*Certainly not football related but please excuse,..just this once.

Last edited:
My heart is very heavy tonight. It so very tough to write this but so absolutely necessary. I must announce that I lost my mom yesterday. It hurts so bad. That phone call, the one that comes in the very wee hours of the morning, was made to me yesterday. Oh my heart is heavy. I walk the floors of where I now live, talking to my mom. I'm sure he hears me. I'm sure she knows just how much I loved her. I shake my head, I take deep sighs, I know I've not lost the greatest woman who ever loved me. She gave me everything. Undying love and support, words of wisdom in troubled times. For those of you who have lost your mother or father, you know of what I speak.

My insides are trembling now. I'm thinking so much of times me and my mom shared. I flash from one picture to the next; one memory to the next. Each time I realize now how I'll never see my mom again. Her expressions, her voice, everything I vividly remember is so painfully now a memory. It hurts.

I had to travel over to her Facebook page. You know I just had to. I find it so hard to look at a picture of my mom and see the very faced that loved me so so much. I'm not good at typing a eulogy but I guess that's what this is.

For those of you who knew my mom, let me tell you that you made a difference in her life. Even if it was just for one brief moment, I can say she enjoyed meeting you. She did. She enjoyed meeting people. Friends and acquaintances, anyone who I even spoke of she would; when we talked, would often ask me about. She just enjoyed talking about and finding out about people.

She made so many friends. I want to thank each and every one of you out there that made a difference in my mom's life. I thank you so very much for making her happy. I thank you for anything; even if it was the smallest of things, that made my mom happy. Believe me, it made her day!

It is so painful to type this. For anybody who has not told that special person in your life that you love them; please do so now. Do it the very first chance you get.

Yesterday, was so very difficult. My mind was racing everywhere. Moments in time seem to last forever. Time moved so slow yet; you have to do what needs to be done. Conversations, phone calls, decisions, all seem to have the weight of a 1000 lbs. if not more; must be made and dealt with. It hurts so bad.

For those of you that I did not talk to yesterday, I will try to reach out to you today and the coming days. If you have my phone number, or if anybody asks you for my phone number and you have it, please give it to them and call.

Any words of wisdom that my mom spoke to me are resounding in my head now. She gave me and made me; the essence of who I am. Though God has called her home, she will live on in me. That I know for sure.

I am going to try and post her picture here for all to see. I only hope I don't make a mistake and lose this what I've typed.

You don't know how many times I had to stop tying this and wipe my eyes. It hurts; it really does.

I love you mom!!

Your son,

Bob

There is nothing more beautiful than a mother....and her love for her babies.

Beautiful.

My heart is very heavy tonight. It so very tough to write this but so absolutely necessary. I must announce that I lost my mom yesterday. It hurts so bad. That phone call, the one that comes in the very wee hours of the morning, was made to me yesterday. Oh my heart is heavy. I walk the floors of where I now live, talking to my mom. I'm sure he hears me. I'm sure she knows just how much I loved her. I shake my head, I take deep sighs, I know I've not lost the greatest woman who ever loved me. She gave me everything. Undying love and support, words of wisdom in troubled times. For those of you who have lost your mother or father, you know of what I speak.

I love you mom!!

Your son,

Bob

We're with you, Bob...hang in there, my friend.

Just as you are always her child, she will always be your Mom. That special spirit will always be there to support and inform you! Please know that many of us on this board will be here to add whatever we can to be of help! Take care of yourself- your Mom would want you to do that too!

I love you mom!!

Your son,

Bob

GLOV,
My sincere condolences to you.

I lost my Mom in 1985 in a car accident. She was 70 and in relatively good health. I don't know how many times in the next month or two I was ready to pick up the phone and call her. Eventually I stopped those thoughts.

My youngest son, not the one in fantasy baseball, was only 8 months old. Since then there have been many great family moments ( weddings, births, graduations), and I always think how proud my Mom would be. I particularly think of her when I see my youngest grandson, Robert IV, and think how proud she would be of our family. She is not forgotten and her love and spirit lives on. 15 grandkids, I can't count the next two generations.

God bless, Robert.

Respectfully, Bob Mc Hugh

I love you mom!!

Your son,

Bob

Going home, going home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul

Reactions: Jerry and TheGLOV
GLOV,
My sincere condolences to you.

I lost my Mom in 1985 in a car accident. She was 70 and in relatively good health. I don't know how many times in the next month or two I was ready to pick up the phone and call her. Eventually I stopped those thoughts.

My youngest son, not the one in fantasy baseball, was only 8 months old. Since then there have been many great family moments ( weddings, births, graduations), and I always think how proud my Mom would be. I particularly think of her when I see my youngest grandson, Robert IV, and think how proud she would be of our family. She is not forgotten and her love and spirit lives on. 15 grandkids, I can't count the next two generations.

God bless, Robert.

Respectfully, Bob Mc Hugh
I call my 90 yo Mom everyday at 2:45 pm. Time is not on my side.. nor hers. But we struggle on... find the common ground, and live the life we were offered.

And no... I do not speak to her of psu fussball... i DO speak of joepa and she beams because we (Dad and Mom) shared that connection.

A mother's love is unconditional. I don't think I appreciated it enough when my mother was alive. I lost her in 1994. Since we lived in different states, I didn't see her all the time. I think what I missed most were the phone conversations we would have when she called mid-week. Then of course the holidays...............
Losing mom, made me have a greater regard for the same kind of bond my wife had with our two boys.
My oldest son still can't really talk about the loss (his mother my wife 12 years).
My God Bless You and Your Mother.

A mother's love is unconditional. I don't think I appreciated it enough when my mother was alive. I lost her in 1994. Since we lived in different states, I didn't see her all the time. I think what I missed most were the phone conversations we would have when she called mid-week. Then of course the holidays...............
Losing mom, made me have a greater regard for the same kind of bond my wife had with our two boys.
My oldest son still can't really talk about the loss (his mother my wife 12 years).
My God Bless You and Your Mother.
One of the things we got wrong was the moving away.

It was better when we didn't move away.

The connection of grandparents to parents to children is a bond that matters.

Hopefully the next generation will remember.

One of the things we got wrong was the moving away.

It was better when we didn't move away.

The connection of grandparents to parents to children is a bond that matters.

Hopefully the next generation will remember.
So true, I moved away at age 25. Visited every year, but never moved back. Missed assisting and seeing my parents grow old. They are both gone now, Mom in 1999 (70) and Dad in 2015 (88). Had great neighbors that assisted my Dad in his late years. I assist 2 elderly neighbors that live near me. They always tell to not bother but I tell them I am passing it forward because of the neighbors my Dad had.
BTW, To me and my sister we had the Best parents ever!! I hope everyone feels that way with their parents.

Last edited:
Bob- My father died in his home from his 2nd heart attack at 79 on a cold evening in April 2015. I remember that my family was watching the TV show How I Met Your Mother with all 4 of us together in a rare occurrence as both kids were in high school and busy.

My Mom called- as she always seems to do during PSU games too- and I sort of cut her off and said I'd call back after the show was over. Then I heard her breathing funny..."Dad is dead."

I drove frozen in time past our old neighborhood to the retirement community where they had just over a year prior. I captured the memories and feelings of that night on my computer as I wouldn't sleep hearing my Mom sobbing in her room.

I do get a pang of guilt when I visit his grave because both he and my daughter are interred there (as we all will be someday). I rarely reflect on him as much as I should. The parent pain trumps the son pain for me. I've never looked at the notes I composed the night he died. Maybe I'll spend some time reading and genuinely reflecting over the holidays.

Thank you for sharing your tribute and Godspeed.

JO'S

My neighbor in her eighties passed away recently. She had been a hospice nurse for over twenty years, taking care of terminally ill patients in their final days. And a huge part of being a hospice nurse is also taking care of the family, helping them through the most difficult times of their lives.

She had been diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer and knew her time was nearing its end. What had been her co-workers were now her hospice nurses helping her and her family. Three weeks after diagnosis was Thanksgiving Day. Her entire family gathered at her house and spent the day with her. After dinner, they told her to take a nap while they cleaned up and did all the dishes. When they finished cleaning they went to her room.....and she was dead.

While that had to be difficult on the family I would think she would say it was the best way to finish her life. Her whole family together, on the day set aside to be thankful all one has, knowing this would be her last......I can only imagine the outpouring of love that day. To spend that day together was a blessing for all and to slip away quietly afterwards ....a very peaceful way to exit our world.

Hospice nurses and team are a special breed. They do what most of us would cringe from having to do as we all fear death. If you have ever have use of their services you would understand how special they are.

God speed, Elaine.

My neighbor in her eighties passed away recently. She had been a hospice nurse for over twenty years, taking care of terminally ill patients in their final days. And a huge part of being a hospice nurse is also taking care of the family, helping them through the most difficult times of their lives.

She had been diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer and knew her time was nearing its end. What had been her co-workers were now her hospice nurses helping her and her family. Three weeks after diagnosis was Thanksgiving Day. Her entire family gathered at her house and spent the day with her. After dinner, they told her to take a nap while they cleaned up and did all the dishes. When they finished cleaning they went to her room.....and she was dead.

While that had to be difficult on the family I would think she would say it was the best way to finish her life. Her whole family together, on the day set aside to be thankful all one has, knowing this would be her last......I can only imagine the outpouring of love that day. To spend that day together was a blessing for all and to slip away quietly afterwards ....a very peaceful way to exit our world.

Hospice nurses and team are a special breed. They do what most of us would cringe from having to do as we all fear death. If you have ever have use of their services you would understand how special they are.

God speed, Elaine.
Wow. A colleague of mine had his in laws over for Thanksgiving too. Whole family together for first time since Covid. Father in law became short of breath while they were driving home and the returned to their daughters house. He died of a heart attack in the driveway.

The funeral was quickly arranged so a grandson could return to The U to finish his semester. Very lightly attended mass on a blustery Tuesday morning. The widow collapsed upon the coffin and wailed in agony (directly next to me). So painful to see.

She then suffered a mini stroke the next day and was just released from the hospital. Life (and death) are indeed bizarre. Since my daughter passed I fear nothing and nobody. When my time comes so be it, however it does not eliminate the real human dramas we all face.

As the dust is settling my buddy and his family are seeing the positive of the celebration together on Thanksgiving as a fitting tribute and farewell.

I love you mom!!

Your son,

Bob

Losing Mom is the absolute worst.Been a long time now and my father and brother have followed.Keep and hold your family close as things can change in a heatbeat.
I still feel bad for the things I did not do for Mom to make life easier.
So sorry for your loss

God speed, Elaine.
God speed indeed

Reactions: TheGLOV
Thank you again all for your stories and kind words.

I did notice that two posters used the 'laughter' mem in response to my tribute to my mother.

Not sure how it provokes 'laughter' when one loses a dear loved one but I guess callousness knows no bounds.

I will remember her, as you remember your mother, always and forever!

My mom turned 100 in March. She has advanced dementia, so I have to some degree, already lost her. Thankfully she does know my brother and me. Other than during months during Covid, one of us has been with her every evening for the past 6 years, since my dad asked for help. He passed about 11 months after that at 96 1/2 and 2 months after aortic valve replacement surgery. I am so blessed to have had both my parents for so long and doubly blessed that we live close enough that I was able to help so much these past years. Last night was a particularly difficult visit with my mom - she was highly agitated and was screaming at me and trying to hit me. I believe she was just very hungry and doesn't know enough to eat or express what is going on. After eating some, she calmed down. It's never a good time to lose you parents, whether they are 39, 70 or 100. I can't imagine the day she passes. She has always put everyone first before herself and is still the most compassionate person I know. So difficult.

Thank you again all for your stories and kind words.

I did notice that two posters used the 'laughter' mem in response to my tribute to my mother.

Not sure how it provokes 'laughter' when one loses a dear loved one but I guess callousness knows no bounds.

I will remember her, as you remember your mother, always and forever!
Methinks those emojis were meant to be tears, not laughter.

My mom turned 100 in March. She has advanced dementia, so I have to some degree, already lost her. Thankfully she does know my brother and me. Other than during months during Covid, one of us has been with her every evening for the past 6 years, since my dad asked for help. He passed about 11 months after that at 96 1/2 and 2 months after aortic valve replacement surgery. I am so blessed to have had both my parents for so long and doubly blessed that we live close enough that I was able to help so much these past years. Last night was a particularly difficult visit with my mom - she was highly agitated and was screaming at me and trying to hit me. I believe she was just very hungry and doesn't know enough to eat or express what is going on. After eating some, she calmed down. It's never a good time to lose you parents, whether they are 39, 70 or 100. I can't imagine the day she passes. She has always put everyone first before herself and is still the most compassionate person I know. So difficult.
Some dementia patients do get angry which I think is frustration at their predicament. Somehow they understand what has happened and can’t communicate about it.

So good you and brother are there for her. Makes her life much better.

Methinks those emojis were meant to be tears, not laughter.

No Spin, it was meant as it was meant. Notice one of the two re-did it on the very post that I pointed it out.

No need for tears on that one sir. And, when you click on that 'laughter' mem, it does say "ha-ha" sir.

All are welcome to respond.

The kind words were received by me with joy!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Wow. A colleague of mine had his in laws over for Thanksgiving too. Whole family together for first time since Covid. Father in law became short of breath while they were driving home and the returned to their daughters house. He died of a heart attack in the driveway.

The funeral was quickly arranged so a grandson could return to The U to finish his semester. Very lightly attended mass on a blustery Tuesday morning. The widow collapsed upon the coffin and wailed in agony (directly next to me). So painful to see.

She then suffered a mini stroke the next day and was just released from the hospital. Life (and death) are indeed bizarre. Since my daughter passed I fear nothing and nobody. When my time comes so be it, however it does not eliminate the real human dramas we all face.

As the dust is settling my buddy and his family are seeing the positive of the celebration together on Thanksgiving as a fitting tribute and farewell.
Just got word from my buddy that his mother in law just got taken to the hospital again with another stroke-like issue. We are indeed animals, and can die of a broken heart. I came dangerously close three years ago when my daughter died. Unfortunately the widow in this story is unlikely to outlive her husband by too much. Very sad, but a necessary reality check for us all. It reminds me of a fortune cookie that I kept: Treasure what you have.

Just got word from my buddy that his mother in law just got taken to the hospital again with another stroke-like issue. We are indeed animals, and can die of a broken heart. I came dangerously close three years ago when my daughter died. Unfortunately the widow in this story is unlikely to outlive her husband by too much. Very sad, but a necessary reality check for us all. It reminds me of a fortune cookie that I kept: Treasure what you have.

Sorry to hear of your loss sir.

Always surprised me that this doesn’t happen more often. Have seen the incredible stresses caused when a spouse of 40...50...60 years passes away. For many it is unbearable. And in advanced age people often have comorbitities that could doom them.

Sorry to hear about both of your friends. Losing both parents in a short time span must be a terrible burden.

Prayers for you and your family glov

lost my mom on may first of this year. We were so very fortunate to all be able to be together at her home when she passed. There are still times I pick up my phone to call her and share things that are going on in life only to realize she is no longer with us. We hold on tight to all the great memories we shared throughout the years. Love you mom and will always be thankful for the unconditional love you had for us all.

Prayers for you and your family glov

lost my mom on may first of this year. We were so very fortunate to all be able to be together at her home when she passed. There are still times I pick up my phone to call her and share things that are going on in life only to realize she is no longer with us. We hold on tight to all the great memories we shared throughout the years. Love you mom and will always be thankful for the unconditional love you had for us all.
Good son and well put.Your mom would be proud

Today my mother would have turned 101. I lost her to ovarian cancer in 1999 when I was still in my 40’s. I like to think I did my best for her throughout her seven year battle and I am touched by the comments here of deep connections to mothers. As a mother I wish/hope my children understand how they are constantly in my thoughts and how I love to be connected to them. Make that call, send that note, text…..whatever. It means everything. And, to TheGLOV, my sympathies. I’m sure she felt your love and devotion.

Today my mother would have turned 101. I lost her to ovarian cancer in 1999 when I was still in my 40’s. I like to think I did my best for her throughout her seven year battle and I am touched by the comments here of deep connections to mothers. As a mother I wish/hope my children understand how they are constantly in my thoughts and how I love to be connected to them. Make that call, send that note, text…..whatever. It means everything. And, to TheGLOV, my sympathies. I’m sure she felt your love and devotion.

My sympathies to you as well my friend.

Reactions: vops
I call my 90 yo Mom everyday at 2:45 pm. Time is not on my side.. nor hers. But we struggle on... find the common ground, and live the life we were offered.

And no... I do not speak to her of psu fussball... i DO speak of joepa and she beams because we (Dad and Mom) shared that connection.
Thank you to those who reacted appropriately... to the one retard who reacted like the troll he/she/it (heavy on the sweetie pie it) is..... it must really suck to be that fing stupid. But in today's world of idiots, I'm sadly not surprised. So to the retard.. I've been a psu follower since 1968.. i have a hunch you weren't even born then, yet, or even soon thereafter. IOW, kiss off, bitch. Those who are REAL fans of this program and, specifically of JVP, know exactly what I'm talking about.

Ergo... you do not.

My heart is very heavy tonight. It so very tough to write this but so absolutely necessary. I must announce that I lost my mom yesterday. It hurts so bad. That phone call, the one that comes in the very wee hours of the morning, was made to me yesterday. Oh my heart is heavy. I walk the floors of where I now live, talking to my mom. I'm sure he hears me. I'm sure she knows just how much I loved her. I shake my head, I take deep sighs, I know I've now lost the greatest woman who ever loved me. She gave me everything. Undying love and support, words of wisdom in troubled times. For those of you who have lost your mother or father, you know of what I speak.

I love you mom!!

Your son,

Bob

Glov....what an awesome tribute. I can tell you loved your mom so much. I became as pastor and moved on in '78, but for years would drive to see my widowed mom, 6 hour trip and never got tired of it. In 2014, she moved in with us in Erie, though she didn't want to leave her home. It was a great year, but circumstances demanded she go to a nursing home. Mentally sharp as a tack, but at 93 her body was giving up on her. The last week of her life in the hospital got rough, and on her last day on earth, she finally told the doctor, I want this oxygen mask off. When I said mom, you know what this means, I have never forgotten her response. "I am not afraid to die! I have served Jesus all my life, and I'm ready to go home." 4 hours later, she went to sleep peacefully! And according to the promises of Scripture, we have a hope that there will be an awesome reuniting in the Lord!!!
Until that time, I miss her daily. And this is one of those experiences where we can honestly say "I know how you feel."

Thank you to those who reacted appropriately... to the one retard who reacted like the troll he/she/it (heavy on the sweetie pie it) is..... it must really suck to be that fing stupid. But in today's world of idiots, I'm sadly not surprised. So to the retard.. I've been a psu follower since 1968.. i have a hunch you weren't even born then, yet, or even soon thereafter. IOW, kiss off, bitch. Those who are REAL fans of this program and, specifically of JVP, know exactly what I'm talking about.

Ergo... you do not.
I think he’s an Iowa fan. Does it on the wrestling board. He’s a dork

Reactions: N&B4PSU
ADVERTISEMENT