ADVERTISEMENT

Last Chance U

AWS1022

Nov 12, 2011
I binge watched Last Chance U yesterday and it was a really good show about Eastern Mississippi Community College's football team. One takeaway for me is if your school is recruiting heavily from there, they might want to take a second look at their entrance requirements for student athletes (hello Auburn and Ole Miss).

Another interesting part was when the big DE asked about a little extra from the recruiter from Ga. Southern and the recruiter said they would not do anything against the NCAA rules and the DE said he understood since the cameras were rolling. Obviously some guys were getting a little more than just a scholarship.

I watched it too and agree, it was pretty well done. My main takeaway is: "No child left behind". The series is a major indictment of the education system in the Deep South. It's shocking, really. The common refrain is "everybody deserves an education". The reality is these young men didn't get an education is grade school, they aren't getting an education in community college, and it's highly unlikely they'll receive any sort of meaningful education in college, should they somehow manage to get admitted.

I was also left to wonder who is funding these multi-million dollar community college football programs with their nice facilities and full time staff where virtually every player is on full scholarship. Is it the state of Mississippi taxpayer? These schools have to be running at a huge deficit.

Last edited:
Loved it. Netflix tweeted out last week that more episodes were coming soon.

I watched it too and agree, it was pretty well done. My main takeaway is: "No child left behind". The series is a major indictment of the education system in the Deep South. It's shocking, really. The common refrain is "everybody deserves an education". The reality is these young men didn't get an education is grade school, they aren't getting an education in community college, and it's highly unlikely they'll receive any sort of meaningful education in college, should they somehow manage to get admitted.

I was also left to wonder who is funding these multi-million dollar community college football programs with their nice facilities and full time staff where virtually every player is on full scholarship. Is it the state of Mississippi taxpayer? These schools have to be running at a huge deficit.

I wondered about the funding too. They're not getting TV money and the stadiums aren't so big that attendance could fund everything. They are the very definition of football factories. And it's pretty sad the amount of babysitting that has to be done to even get these kids to go to class even when they know it's their last shot to play at a four year university.

why do you limit it to education system in the Deep South?? You think its any different in Philly?? NYC? You think Lackawanna CC is any different than EMCC?? Nassau CC? If anything my guess would be, Lackawanna doesn't have the facilities EMCC has. You think the kids are different? Did you hear what the one guy said, and paraphrasing, 'he knows football is a team sport and all, but this is all about me'
After watching this, do you have any doubt as to why I don't like PSU recruiting the JC circuit? They all have a story, and most have talent, its the other things.

why do you limit it to education system in the Deep South?? You think its any different in Philly?? NYC? You think Lackawanna CC is any different than EMCC?? Nassau CC? If anything my guess would be, Lackawanna doesn't have the facilities EMCC has. You think the kids are different? Did you hear what the one guy said, and paraphrasing, 'he knows football is a team sport and all, but this is all about me'
After watching this, do you have any doubt as to why I don't like PSU recruiting the JC circuit? They all have a story, and most have talent, its the other things.

Makes you wonder about teams like Kansas State, who recruit a ton of JuCo kids.

Makes you wonder about teams like Kansas State, who recruit a ton of JuCo kids.
yes it does, but really they have to, because they are on the JC cycle thing where they are turning over their roster every 2 yrs, its a cycle that's hard to get out of, kid and his back up both leave, and you don't have anyone coming through the program, so what do you do? Find a JUCO.

Generally speaking, yes, the public school system in the Deep South is worse than almost any other region in the country. Here's a pretty good writeup if you're interested....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/business/2015/10/17/poor-students/

Generally speaking, yes, the public school system in the Deep South is worse than almost any other region in the country. Here's a pretty good writeup if you're interested....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/business/2015/10/17/poor-students/
what's really sad is, this is trying to pick the smallest of the 7 Dwarf's. I grew up in Pa. I did not realize to much later, not only our school, but every school in our county qualified for reduced fee lunch's. We didn't know any better, we assumed that was just part of going to school.

Don't fool yourself, 90+ percent of high school recruits agree with the 'all about me' sentiment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT