ADVERTISEMENT

Just what we Needed

The person with the three car garage, TVs in every room, etc, is going to come out of this just fine. So this will not be any kind of wake up call to that person. The millions who this will devastate do not have those things, and therefore don't need any pause for reflection. They're the bartenders, waitresses, and other hourly workers living paycheck to paycheck, and not because they're living beyond their means.

Some non-financial ramifications -
1. High school and college athletes missing out on playing what might be their last games . Families gathering and sharing these moments . Team banquets cancelled .
2. High school state band concert cancelled. Many kids and families missing out on their once in a career goal.
3. Graduations cancelled . My daughter is graduating from Schreyer with two engineering degrees .
4. Mothers Day celebrations especially for senior moms can be affected
5. We won’t be taking my mom out for her 85 th birthday this month to her favorite restaurant.
6. Missing my sons orchestra performance at UP.
7. Olympic athletes most likely missing out.

Sure there will be some shining and cathartic moments , but they won’t outweigh all the missed out ons .

Last edited:
Okay let me say this another way. Those that are financially okay may consider this pause as refreshing and pleasurable to unite as a family and as a result seek this going forward changing up the way they live life. For those that will be impacted financially may conclude there lifestyle is difficult to maintain and the stress of doing so is no longer wanted/needed when they can enjoy life more by making less.

For some it might turn out to be a blessing and be an agent for positive change in their lives. For others it may give them some reason to wake up and begin to live a life with direction. For some it will be so bad they won't recover. And for others it will be another bump in their road to happiness that they can never seem to overcome, but for most it won't end up changing much in their lives once things eventually straighten themselves out.

Dude, ( the OP) let me say this one way and one way clearly. you are a pathetic preachy dumb****.

60% of Americans can’t come up with 500 dollars in a crisis let alone a prolonged crises.

Say it anyway you want because the notion of it obviously gives you some smug pleasure. In the end you are nothing but pathetic.

Reactions: Lion-skier
There is no questioning this will create Financial hardships for some of us, at least that is what many people are pointing to. So is there a silver lining to all of this when the smoke clears? I think so and that's what I am pointing to. So a couple of months ago my wife of 25 years decided to leave, as a result that cut the monthly household income was cut lets say by 40%. I allowed her to take practically everything she wanted. After the smoke cleared enough remained for me to live comfortably. How many of us are basically in the same position? Our society is driven by the almighty dollar for the most part. For example people build homes, a one car garage was not enough, then we went to needing two, then three and more. Ceilings in the household went from a standard 8ft. to 10ft and so on. Bathrooms went from one, two, 21/2, three and so on. we went from two bedrooms to three to four and so on. A living room is no longer enough, we have many different rooms to supplement the good old living room. How many TV's does one have in the household? One, two, three. Does the family all watch TV from different viewing areas. Remember the days of having one and all were in the same room. There was much to learn from our children in conversation. People I can go on and on. I also gather that a few posters on here have lost or never had faith. This is all concerning and only reinforces my position that this virus is good for us as mankind. We make life way to complicated and overlook those things we should nurture and pay attention to, but were all driven to make the next buck.
We’re all driven to make the next buck because everything costs money. Nowadays a car costs more than a house used to. When they start giving shit away for free, I’ll stop worrying about making the next buck.

Reactions: Lion-skier and tgar
I understand the seriousness of this I really do but I cant stop thinking this is what our society truly needs. This will give most an opportunity to reflect and put into action what is truly most important (God, Family, and Friends) This slow down of our daily lives is a blessing for mankind. What do you think? Are there others who feel this way?

Yet moderators don't think this thread should be removed. Got it.

Reactions: ralphster
For some it might turn out to be a blessing and be an agent for positive change in their lives. For others it may give them some reason to wake up and begin to live a life with direction. For some it will be so bad they won't recover. And for others it will be another bump in their road to happiness that they can never seem to overcome, but for most it won't end up changing much in their lives once things eventually straighten themselves out.
And some will worry only about themselves. Just waiting for the looting to begin.

This doesn’t hurt the ones who most need to reflect - “influencers” and other social-media driven narcissists and whores, coddled rich kids and assorted wealthy dopes born on 3rd base and thinking they hit a triple, etc - it hurts the poor and the marginalized, it leads to increases in domestic abuse due to financial and other stress.

There is nothing good about this. I remember after 9/11 all the stories about rich, stuck-up Manhattan party girls who were dating “real men” like firefighters and other first responders because the attack opened their eyes to what truly mattered. That era lasted about 3 months

Also ironically -the people who are worried about how the closings will affect people who make their living making an hourly wage are generally against raising the minimum wage to a living standard for these same people.

isn’t it ironic-doncha think?

As someone who desires for all people to succeed and rise to their level of skill and effort, I want the minimum wage to be $0. Having a minimum wage and raising it to whatever some activist deems is a "living" level, only hurts the young and least skilled, as they are priced out of the market when positions decrease in the face of rising labor costs.
Minimum wage was never meant to support a family or even apply to an adult with moderate experience. Here is the hard truth. Generally, if someone has been working for more than a year, and is still earning minimum wage, it's because they are a crappy employee. If someone shows up on time, learns the job, and is reliable, they'll be more valuable than MW to their current employer or another very quickly. A person perpetually making MW is not society's issue, it's their own failings.

Reactions: Fila and SUPERTODD
I see nothing good about all of this. Many people in many jobs are overworked and when places reopen they will be taxed/pushed to make up any work that was delayed, etc. It will only add stress to those folks, not to mention the stress and potential financial impacts this may cause while out of work, working from home, etc.

We’re all driven to make the next buck because everything costs money. Nowadays a car costs more than a house used to. When they start giving shit away for free, I’ll stop worrying about making the next buck.
What car are you driving?
gnNM5Cb.jpg

As someone who desires for all people to succeed and rise to their level of skill and effort, I want the minimum wage to be $0. Having a minimum wage and raising it to whatever some activist deems is a "living" level, only hurts the young and least skilled, as they are priced out of the market when positions decrease in the face of rising labor costs.
Minimum wage was never meant to support a family or even apply to an adult with moderate experience. Here is the hard truth. Generally, if someone has been working for more than a year, and is still earning minimum wage, it's because they are a crappy employee. If someone shows up on time, learns the job, and is reliable, they'll be more valuable than MW to their current employer or another very quickly. A person perpetually making MW is not society's issue, it's their own failings.
You win the day, sir.

I see nothing good about all of this. Many people in many jobs are overworked and when places reopen they will be taxed/pushed to make up any work that was delayed, etc. It will only add stress to those folks, not to mention the stress and potential financial impacts this may cause while out of work, working from home, etc.
shitstorm.jpg

of course, half of minimum wage earners are high school and college kids, something that is often overlooked.

Reactions: heckmans
of course, half of minimum wage earners are high school and college kids, something that is often overlooked.
Yes. The ones who have no sense of responsibility or work ethic. My guys are already overpaid for the work we do and if I pay anymore, I’m throwing money out the window.

God didn't unleash it. It was already there. Someone eating some exotic animal unleashed it.

I understand the seriousness of this I really do but I cant stop thinking this is what our society truly needs. This will give most an opportunity to reflect and put into action what is truly most important (God, Family, and Friends) This slow down of our daily lives is a blessing for mankind. What do you think? Are there others who feel this way?
I believe you need to do some serious introspection.

I believe in God and no doubt this is an opportunity to think about the things you mention as well as our own mortality. If you look at some very old paintings of Saints, you'll often see them painted with their hands on a skull. The skull is to remind the Saint of his or her own mortality. When we realize our mortality, it changes the way we view life.

So....you realize between this idea, the poor economy and the closing of bars, restaurants, and other places that low skilled immigrants are....this might negate the need and expense for a wall between Mexico and the US.

So....you realize between this idea, the poor economy and the closing of bars, restaurants, and other places that low skilled immigrants are....this might negate the need and expense for a wall between Mexico and the US.
Umm Mexico thinking about building a wall to keep the virally infected gringos out.

Let me throw the OP a bone.....

Saying this is a good thing is like looking at the events of 9/11 and after, and saying...."you know, one good thing after 9/11 is that it cleared out all the friends and family from airport gates so now I have a place to sit down"....

Reactions: tgar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT