ADVERTISEMENT

Just what we Needed

jbenedict

Nov 28, 2017
I understand the seriousness of this I really do but I cant stop thinking this is what our society truly needs. This will give most an opportunity to reflect and put into action what is truly most important (God, Family, and Friends) This slow down of our daily lives is a blessing for mankind. What do you think? Are there others who feel this way?

I understand the seriousness of this I really do but I cant stop thinking this is what our society truly needs. This will give most an opportunity to reflect and put into action what is truly most important (God, Family, and Friends) This slow down of our daily lives is a blessing for mankind. What do you think? Are there others who feel this way?
I see it as a tremendous inconvenience.

My wife is the board president for a very large regional symphony orchestra. The arts are already financially strapped in this country. The last third of their season is now gone/cancelled. There are 5 full time employees and many part timers. Many will lose their jobs. So no, I don't think any of them will find this to be "just what they needed." Maybe in your "slow down" do some praying to God that these families will get a "blessing" to get enough money for food and rent.

No.

Reactions: bdgan and tgar

I don’t think the millions of people who live paycheck to paycheck and are now scared to death of how they’re going to feed their family if this goes on more than a few weeks will find this to have been a great time of reflection.

Last edited:
This doesn’t hurt the ones who most need to reflect - “influencers” and other social-media driven narcissists and whores, coddled rich kids and assorted wealthy dopes born on 3rd base and thinking they hit a triple, etc - it hurts the poor and the marginalized, it leads to increases in domestic abuse due to financial and other stress.

There is nothing good about this. I remember after 9/11 all the stories about rich, stuck-up Manhattan party girls who were dating “real men” like firefighters and other first responders because the attack opened their eyes to what truly mattered. That era lasted about 3 months

Sorry, no. This is an unmitigated disaster on many levels. This has the potential to hurt many families for years to come.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
78% live paycheck to paycheck......have to believe 1/2 is self imposed by over extending themselves. I spent most of my life making average at best wages and could survive a few if not many months with a check.

78% live paycheck to paycheck......have to believe 1/2 is self imposed by over extending themselves. I spent most of my life making average at best wages and could survive a few if not many months with a check.
Still leaves 39%. What about single parents when schools are shut down and having to scramble to find some way to find safe, affordable child care? The list goes on and on.

My wife is the board president for a very large regional symphony orchestra. The arts are already financially strapped in this country. The last third of their season is now gone/cancelled. There are 5 full time employees and many part timers. Many will lose their jobs. So no, I don't think any of them will find this to be "just what they needed." Maybe in your "slow down" do some praying to God that these families will get a "blessing" to get enough money for food and rent.
will do

Sometimes in life people have an awakening.

tenor.gif

Ironically, those saying God didn’t do this will be the first to say prayers were answered when someone is cured.
Also ironically -the people who are worried about how the closings will affect people who make their living making an hourly wage are generally against raising the minimum wage to a living standard for these same people.

isn’t it ironic-doncha think?

Blessing for mankind. LMFAO. Jesus.

Also ironically -the people who are worried about how the closings will affect people who make their living making an hourly wage are generally against raising the minimum wage to a living standard for these same people.

isn’t it ironic-doncha think?

I mean, I said I was worried about that and I’m for an increased minimum wage...

Reactions: tgar
I would imagine a lot of small businesses and restaurants that employ a large number of Americans will be financially strapped . Many of them are the backbones of small town USA. Unfortunately, I could envision a scenario where many could be going out of business if this viral disaster goes on for a 3-6 month or more period . At the very least it will slow wage growth. Profit margins are already tight competing against the likes of Walmart, Target, etc. Also, this will effect the financial trickle down or flow to many local Arts, music , and theatrical groups . These groups often count on small businesses as benefactors and attendees.
Retirees that count on the market to fully or partially fund their expenses have to be very stressed at the sudden Bear Market. I don’t think many feel a special blessing at this time . It has the potential to be a modern day Black Plague. Hopefully , it’s not much more than a six to eight week disruption and inconvenience. I see no blessing in this pandemic .

Last edited:
Reactions: tgar

It will depend on the individual to actually take some time to do it but difficult situations often bring out the good in people.

Last edited:
I consider myself a man of reason. Whether true, or not, I can tell you this is not what we need. Not now. Not ever.

There is no questioning this will create Financial hardships for some of us, at least that is what many people are pointing to. So is there a silver lining to all of this when the smoke clears? I think so and that's what I am pointing to. So a couple of months ago my wife of 25 years decided to leave, as a result that cut the monthly household income was cut lets say by 40%. I allowed her to take practically everything she wanted. After the smoke cleared enough remained for me to live comfortably. How many of us are basically in the same position? Our society is driven by the almighty dollar for the most part. For example people build homes, a one car garage was not enough, then we went to needing two, then three and more. Ceilings in the household went from a standard 8ft. to 10ft and so on. Bathrooms went from one, two, 21/2, three and so on. we went from two bedrooms to three to four and so on. A living room is no longer enough, we have many different rooms to supplement the good old living room. How many TV's does one have in the household? One, two, three. Does the family all watch TV from different viewing areas. Remember the days of having one and all were in the same room. There was much to learn from our children in conversation. People I can go on and on. I also gather that a few posters on here have lost or never had faith. This is all concerning and only reinforces my position that this virus is good for us as mankind. We make life way to complicated and overlook those things we should nurture and pay attention to, but were all driven to make the next buck.

There is no questioning this will create Financial hardships for some of us, at least that is what many people are pointing to. So is there a silver lining to all of this when the smoke clears? I think so and that's what I am pointing to. So a couple of months ago my wife of 25 years decided to leave, as a result that cut the monthly household income was cut lets say by 40%. I allowed her to take practically everything she wanted. After the smoke cleared enough remained for me to live comfortably. How many of us are basically in the same position? Our society is driven by the almighty dollar for the most part. For example people build homes, a one car garage was not enough, then we went to needing two, then three and more. Ceilings in the household went from a standard 8ft. to 10ft and so on. Bathrooms went from one, two, 21/2, three and so on. we went from two bedrooms to three to four and so on. A living room is no longer enough, we have many different rooms to supplement the good old living room. How many TV's does one have in the household? One, two, three. Does the family all watch TV from different viewing areas. Remember the days of having one and all were in the same room. There was much to learn from our children in conversation. People I can go on and on. I also gather that a few posters on here have lost or never had faith. This is all concerning and only reinforces my position that this virus is good for us as mankind. We make life way to complicated and overlook those things we should nurture and pay attention to, but were all driven to make the next buck.
Why is divorce so expensive ? Cause it’s worth it .

This is only a blessing if you've been praying for a recession. History will look at this as a great overreaction. Huge hit to global GDP and an end to the bull for something that isnt nearly as deadly as we are making it out to be. I hope the 99.999% of us who survive are ok with the economic fallout.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
She obviously never read any of your posts or she would have divorced you 25 years ago

I would imagine a lot of small businesses and restaurants that employ a large number of Americans will be financially strapped . Many of them are the backbones of small town USA. Unfortunately, I could envision a scenario where many could be going out of business if this viral disaster goes on for a 3-6 month or more period . At the very least it will slow wage growth. Profit margins are already tight competing against the likes of Walmart, Target, etc. Also, this will effect the financial trickle down or flow to many local Arts, music , and theatrical groups . These groups often count on small businesses as benefactors and attendees.
Retirees that count on the market to fully or partially fund their expenses have to be very stressed at the sudden Bear Market. I don’t think many feel a special blessing at this time . It has the potential to be a modern day Black Plague. Hopefully , it’s not much more than a six to eight week disruption and inconvenience. I see no blessing in this pandemic .

The differences between the era of the Black Plague and now is exactly what you said-stock markets and also society heavily dependent on a service sector.

Benedict, if you think Coronavirus is going to end capitalism or consumerism, you need to out down the bible and pick up a history book. And I'm Catholic!

The person with the three car garage, TVs in every room, etc, is going to come out of this just fine. So this will not be any kind of wake up call to that person. The millions who this will devastate do not have those things, and therefore don't need any pause for reflection. They're the bartenders, waitresses, and other hourly workers living paycheck to paycheck, and not because they're living beyond their means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT