ADVERTISEMENT

just read an article stating PSU is odds on favorite to get Wimbush

I agree he has looked good in the limited snaps he's had. I really have a good vibe for Clifford himself. The thing that worries me is Clifford behind our offensive line. I don't see TM or TS's running ability. I think having that running threat has allowed our offense to succeed. I know Clifford isn't a complete statue but we will loose a real running threat. Our Oline will need to step up with him at QB. The running threat of TM and TS have hidden some real blemishes with the Oline. This worries me.
Clifford is a good runner. Watch his HS videos.

Reactions: step.eng69
I don't see wimbush coming to Penn State. Actually, I don't see him seriously considering Penn State. The kid verbaled to Penn State and then decommitted. Now he's coming to Penn State? Highly doubtful.

wimbush's mom wanted him to commit to Penn State originally. Maybe she's in his ear about Penn State again. Still, I don't see it happening.

It's been said that Franklin moves on ( :eek: ) very quickly from kids who commit elsewhere. I doubt he would take a serious interest in wimbush now. RELATIONSHIPS. :eek: As others have already said, Franklin has plenty of talented quarterbacks. He doesn't need wimbush.

I don't see wimbush coming to Penn State. Actually, I don't see him seriously considering Penn State. The kid verbaled to Penn State and then decommitted. Now he's coming to Penn State? Highly doubtful.

wimbush's mom wanted him to commit to Penn State originally. Maybe she's in his ear about Penn State again. Still, I don't see it happening.

It's been said that Franklin moves on ( :eek: ) very quickly from kids who commit elsewhere. I doubt he would take a serious interest in wimbush now. RELATIONSHIPS. :eek: As others have already said, Franklin has plenty of talented quarterbacks. He doesn't need wimbush.
QB. U. :eek:

Reactions: Delco Lion
I'm against it, only because I don't like the rent a QB world we're living in. Probably a bad business decision by me, but he's not going to be the guy to get us to a championship, so I would rather not get on the QB transfer carousel.

I'd be OK with him as a preferred walk on.

OMG what is up with the folks that don't want Wimbush. I hope he comes for sure. Why can coaches leave when making millions and a 17 or 18 year old be told he can't change his mind. Nobody is sorry that we flipped Mc Sorely are they? So we can let Michigan and Ohio State get an edge on us when we have only won 2 of 6 in the post sanctions years.

Like I said unless he can play DT or OT I'm not interested.
The QB room is already too crowded with good QB's, we don't need a retread that
got demoted at ND. His (Wimbush's) coach made his decision for him so he can suck it and deal with it.

Reactions: 81b&w
PSU's quarterback room is kind of full, but if they've got an extra scholarship available for next year, there's no harm whatsoever in bringing Wimbush on.

If Franklin is serious about PSU being "elite," there has to be wide open competition at the QB position. You take the guy who has the best chance to win games for you -- whether he's a fifth year sr or true freshmen.

Right now PSU has Stevens, Clifford and Levis in the competition, but the true freshmen, Roberson and Johnson, both enrolled early.

I'm pretty confident nobody is going to get the quarterback job because they "earned it" or because they look like John Shaffer.

Stevens could have kind of locked it up but he just didn't to play enough because of injuries. I don't think Stevens has proven yet that he can be successful as a throwing QB -- doesn't mean any negative judgement about him -- but he just hasn't had the opportunity to demonstrate it on the field.

Clifford has shown he throws a beautiful deep sideline ball which is very important in college football these days. But can he manage the team, can he move in the pocket to avoid pressure,and can he make the 20 other types of throws that are required?

Though we haven't seen him play, I wouldn't rule out Levis at all because there has been so much buzz about him. He might be a good balance of mobility and strong arm. You can't go wrong these days with just a great athlete at the QB position -- look at Baltimore which made the playoffs with a rookie running QB who has far from mastered throwing the ball at an NFL level.

Back to Wimbush -- if I were making the call for PSU I would consider running/scrambling ability above all other factors. PSU's OL will probably be OK but not great. So who is the best quarterback to win you games against teams like MSU and Iowa and Ohio State and Michigan with really good DLs who will be in the backfield a lot?

A pocket QB is a recipe for tons of sacks against teams like that. You have to have mobility first.

PSU's quarterback room is kind of full, but if they've got an extra scholarship available for next year, there's no harm whatsoever in bringing Wimbush on.

If Franklin is serious about PSU being "elite," there has to be wide open competition at the QB position. You take the guy who has the best chance to win games for you -- whether he's a fifth year sr or true freshmen.

Right now PSU has Stevens, Clifford and Levis in the competition, but the true freshmen, Roberson and Johnson, both enrolled early.

I'm pretty confident nobody is going to get the quarterback job because they "earned it" or because they look like John Shaffer.

Stevens could have kind of locked it up but he just didn't to play enough because of injuries. I don't think Stevens has proven yet that he can be successful as a throwing QB -- doesn't mean any negative judgement about him -- but he just hasn't had the opportunity to demonstrate it on the field.

Clifford has shown he throws a beautiful deep sideline ball which is very important in college football these days. But can he manage the team, can he move in the pocket to avoid pressure,and can he make the 20 other types of throws that are required?

Though we haven't seen him play, I wouldn't rule out Levis at all because there has been so much buzz about him. He might be a good balance of mobility and strong arm. You can't go wrong these days with just a great athlete at the QB position -- look at Baltimore which made the playoffs with a rookie running QB who has far from mastered throwing the ball at an NFL level.

Back to Wimbush -- if I were making the call for PSU I would consider running/scrambling ability above all other factors. PSU's OL will probably be OK but not great. So who is the best quarterback to win you games against teams like MSU and Iowa and Ohio State and Michigan with really good DLs who will be in the backfield a lot?

A pocket QB is a recipe for tons of sacks against teams like that. You have to have mobility first.

Completely disagree. Its a slap in the face to all the QB's that actually SIGNED with PSU and are all rated high.

The "harm" is that the "extra scholarship" could go to a walk on who has busted his hump for PSU for years as opposed to someone who preferred to be somewhere else.

Don't agree that there is "no harm whatsover" with bringing in Wimbush. We have no idea what that might do to the chemistry in the locker room. Maybe no impact. Or maybe a bunch of our guys would see it for what it is, a guy who bailed for greener pastures now coming back when his first love dumped him. Poison. The potential upside (very limited chance of him being successful given what we saw from him at ND) of bringing Wimbush in is outweighed by the risk of him being a drain in the locker room. Sure hope there is no truth to this.

OMG what is up with the folks that don't want Wimbush. I hope he comes for sure. Why can coaches leave when making millions and a 17 or 18 year old be told he can't change his mind. Nobody is sorry that we flipped Mc Sorely are they? So we can let Michigan and Ohio State get an edge on us when we have only won 2 of 6 in the post sanctions years.
The video evidence at the college level that he's not that good.

We have 5 scholarship QBs in the locker room already... not one of them is qualified to lead this team? BS

The ONLY way you consider Wimbush is if Tommy can't go and his career is over, that is the ONLY reason you would consider this, and even then I think it is boneheaded. Wimbush has accomplished nothing at ND, the only QB in the transfer pool I would even venture a look at is Hurts - he's won a MNC and led his team back to win the SEC Championship this year.

he made a 40 year decision- let him live with it someplace else

source.gif

Are we desperate? Someone has to be trolling Penn State with that article. With the high level of faith I have in this staff that would be about the dumbest decision they could make. Our ideal should be Trevor Lawrence type talent or some where close to that. Not someone who was second best on their own team. Franklin already has to refine young Michael Johnson's passing ability why would he want to do the same for a similar talent?

Not saying I agree and don't think we are desperate, but with a lot of scholarships freeing up in the last 2 weeks with early departures to NFL and transfers, there are scholarships that won't be used by 2019 commits that will sign in February (Ellies, etc.)

IF, and big IF, Wimbush came to Penn State it would only be for one year. That scholarship will be free again next year for 2020 recruits.

With the extra scholarships for 2019, they will either go to
1. Very late PSU offers for 2019 recruits as backup plans (See offer yesterday to DE from Germany)
2. Grad Transfer
3. Awarded to Walk-On

Personally, I'm not a fan of bringing anyone back that turned their back on PSU.

However, from a staff perspective, IF Wimbush were to come to PSU for 2019 season, you are bringing in a high-profile QB recruit with experience in a high-level program to push the other QBs on the roster, and only using that scholarship for one year before his eligibility is up.

Completely disagree. Its a slap in the face to all the QB's that actually SIGNED with PSU and are all rated high.

Rating means nothing. Absolutely nothing. And if they can play they have nothing to fear from competition.

QB is so critically important. PSU's great 2016 and 2017 seasons happened for a lot of reasons but the biggest reason was that McSorley turned out to be a freaking stud.

The near term future of the PSU program depends on having another stud in the QB room. I'm just saying it may well be worth spending a 1 year scholarship on an experienced college QB to raise the level of competition just a notch. I think it's unlikely Wimbush would win the job but he would raise the level of competition.

I agree he has looked good in the limited snaps he's had. I really have a good vibe for Clifford himself. The thing that worries me is Clifford behind our offensive line. I don't see TM or TS's running ability. I think having that running threat has allowed our offense to succeed. I know Clifford isn't a complete statue but we will loose a real running threat. Our Oline will need to step up with him at QB. The running threat of TM and TS have hidden some real blemishes with the Oline. This worries me.

Yea poor guy won't have any decent rb's around him to help avoid that. Trace probably has taken as many hits as Saquon and Miles in the last two seasons, I'm expecting Tommy and Sean to both be very capable qbs next year but I hope we cut down on the qb runs and focus on better ways to move the ball and keep our qbs healthy. I have no problem with a three rb rotation next year, use the studs and save a qb

Not saying I agree and don't think we are desperate, but with a lot of scholarships freeing up in the last 2 weeks with early departures to NFL and transfers, there are scholarships that won't be used by 2019 commits that will sign in
I think the QB room is full. Hell, they made up a position to keep TS 2 around for another year. I don't see CJF bringing in another QB with how loyal he's been to Trace and Tommy, but who knows? He brought in a ND running back that he recruited.

So let me get this straight. No Wimbush under any circumstances so as not to disrespect our QBs in the fold but if we could land a DT transfer.....

I wouldn't want him because PSU has better QBs on the roster already. Notre Dame offense was average at best when he was the starter. His first 4 games last season he threw 5 int and 0 tds and got benched. No thanks
If he was a great qb I take him but he isn't.

I wouldn't want him because PSU has better QBs on the roster already. Notre Dame offense was average at best when he was the starter. His first 4 games last season he threw 5 int and 0 tds and got benched. No thanks
If he was a great qb I take him but he isn't.
I wouldn’t care if he were John Elway. We already have five quarterbacks who knew what the competition was going to be like when they signed on.

But if he were an OT or DT, that wouldn't be a slap in the face to all the OTs and DTs that actually SIGNED with PSU and are all rated high?

But if he were an OT or DT, that wouldn't be a slap in the face to all the OTs and DTs that actually SIGNED with PSU and are all rated high?

True but that room is far less crowded than the QB room.
Call it a double standard on my part. Just don't want another QB whether its Fields, Martel, Wimbush, Hurts...
Plus more than 1 DT or OL play at a time so its not as limiting to get playing time as it is for a QB.
Although I have to say that I think our substitution and getting the younger OL playing time this year was not very good.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT