ADVERTISEMENT

Junior worlds

Thanks for the updates and commentary. Much appreciated.

I too agree that having the russians there makes the tourney better. Its also a shame that the athletes pay the price of their governments actions.

The US meets up with Iran early in a lot of brackets. Feldman and Masoumi should meet in the semis. Thompson gets Iran his first match. Facundo sees Iran is his first match as well. Bouzakis would meet his Iranian opponent in the quarterfinals and Volk would have Iran in his first match if Iran gets by the reigning European champion Pirrodu from Italy in his first match. Both Cornella and Messenbrink would meet Iran in the semis if both countries get that far in the bracket. That is a lot of potential head to head before the finals.
Cornella beat the Iranian in the quarterfinals, and meets the Uzbek in the semis. Cornella beat the aforementioned Kazakh in the qualification round.

Messenbrink guts out a super tough and chippy match! The Iranian was so tired he would’ve died on the mat if he didn’t get 10 blood stoppages. What a great match. Messenbrink does not stop coming at you. Match ended at 9-7
Iranian at 65kg was leading 4-0 and 5-2 late, and totally gassed, giving up two TDs to Cornella very late. He was toast.

Reactions: creamery freak
Is Levi Haines kicking himself right now? I haven't seen a good explanation as to why he went 74kg at the US Open then 70kg in the WTT, before facing a fresh Mesenbrink in the best of 3. He looked a bit fatigued after four matches.

He has another 2 years of Junior eligibility but this bracket was easy pickings.

Last edited:
Volk is up 13-2 with challenge. Challenge won. Volk up 13-6 with 30 sec. 13-6 is the FINAL over Georgian. Whoop Whoop Will wrestle for GOLD :)

Cornella up against Uzbekistan
Cornella on the clock....down 1-0 End of 1st.....down 1-0
Cornella on clock again....down 2-0
2pt. exposure....Cornella down 4-0. 40 sec.
Final 4-0 Cornella will wrestle for Bronze

Mesenbrink up now.
Mesenbrink initiated all the attempts but goes on the clock. ?? Down 1-0 at break
Armenia with his first shot off the whistle....coverts 3-0
Mesenbrink with a TD on edge 3-2 2 minutes
Mesenbrink another TD on edge 4-3
Mesenbrink Td in the center 6-3. Definitely wearing him down
Mesenbrink wins 6-3.....will wrestle for GOLD :)

Keuter down 6-0 very quickly....now 8-0.
Keuter with a TD and turn. 8-4
Keuter w a TD on edge 8-6.......now 9-6
Keuter takes him into the cardboard signs 9-9 at the break
Kueter with a TD and turn ....leads 13-10 !!
Keuter TD...now 15-10
Georgian with TD and turn.....15-14
Keuter reverses to his back and holds him there for 40 seconds 17-14
Keuter wins 17-14....will wrestle for GOLD WOW :)

Last edited:
Cornella flashed some excellent D but didn't go inside at all until too late, gave up exposure on top of two shot clock points. Loses 4-0.

Mesenbrink's tank doesn't have an E. Down 3-0, he's now up 6-3 and wrestling like he's the one who needs points with under a minute. ARM wrestler is staggering. Final 6-3, onto the finals.

Reactions: Chris Watts
Mesenbrink's tank doesn't have an E. Down 3-0, he's now up 6-3 and wrestling like he's the one who needs points with under a minute. ARM wrestler is staggering. Final 6-3, onto the finals.

giphy.gif

Reactions: PaJules and tikk10
Kueter got taken down then gave up 3 guts, 1 which was a weak call to go down 8-0. He came back with two TDs of his own, plus exposure. Step out point made it 9-6, then a blast double by Kueter going out of bounds made it 9-8. Add a caution and he's ahead 9-9 at the break.

Kueter is the more active wrestler, but just gave up a step out. Now he's up 11-10 off a clean double but has a lace. 13-10, 1:30ish left. Another TD and it's 15-10.

GEO found some gas in the tank and hit a sort of fireman's duck, plus a gut, but Kueter gets exposure of his own, and it's 17-14. He's working for the pin, but time will run out. 17-14 final. Crazy match, make a point of watching this one.

Im ok with that as it will keep him off the wrestling mat and mess w hawk recruiting cycle
You might get your wish. He’ll be a special wrestler if he sticks with it. Thing is, he’s to damn athletic to not be a damn good football player. And he is a damn good football player.

He’s a solid kid, so I wish him well, but damn id want to see him on the mat full time.

You might get your wish. He’ll be a special wrestler if he sticks with it. Thing is, he’s to damn athletic to not be a damn good football player. And he is a damn good football player.

He’s a solid kid, so I wish him well, but damn id want to see him on the mat full time.
How tall do you think he is?

Needs to put on 30 pounds but has the frame for it. Very rangy
I'm sure that Kirk Ferentz has stars in his eyes thinking about this kid filling that frame. He's a special athlete. He may be good enough to wrestle for 2 months and still be a force in the NCAA tournament. But if he gets too good at that football thing, the football staff might quash that move.

Volk is up 13-2 with challenge. Challenge won. Volk up 13-6 with 30 sec. 13-6 is the FINAL over Georgian. Whoop Whoop Will wrestle for GOLD :)

Cornella up against Uzbekistan
Cornella on the clock....down 1-0 End of 1st.....down 1-0
Cornella on clock again....down 2-0
2pt. exposure....Cornella down 4-0. 40 sec.
Final 4-0 Cornella will wrestle for Bronze

Mesenbrink up now.
Mesenbrink initiated all the attempts but goes on the clock. ?? Down 1-0 at break
Armenia with his first shot off the whistle....coverts 3-0
Mesenbrink with a TD on edge 3-2 2 minutes
Mesenbrink another TD on edge 4-3
Mesenbrink Td in the center 6-3. Definitely wearing him down
Mesenbrink wins 6-3.....will wrestle for GOLD :)

Keuter down 6-0 very quickly....now 8-0.
Keuter with a TD and turn. 8-4
Keuter w a TD on edge 8-6.......now 9-6
Keuter takes him into the cardboard signs 9-9 at the break
Kueter with a TD and turn ....leads 13-10 !!
Keuter TD...now 15-10
Georgian with TD and turn.....15-14
Keuter reverses to his back and holds him there for 40 seconds 17-14
Keuter wins 17-14....will wrestle for GOLD WOW :)
why did cornella keep getting the clock when neither one did anything?

The Iranian fans on TheMat are hilarious- remind me of my fellow, fatalistic Philly fans. From the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in seconds

The Genius and Shiraz123 are both very knowledgeable as well as absolutely merciless towards their own Iranian kids and coaches. Just brutal. And, yes, fatalistic is a great adjective to describe a couple of them. They are throwing in the towel already with Elahi vs Facundo because Facundo has Casey Cunningham in his corner.

For anyone interested in reading about 2022 U20s from the Iranian perspective, on the USA Wrestling board, go here:

If you go back far enough you can read commentary about the Olympics, etc. These guys know their freestyle wrestling.

Last edited:
why did cornella keep getting the clock when neither one did anything?
He was ceding more ground, and not really looking for takedowns. In the second it seemed like he was waiting for the ref to put his opponent on the clock but he didn't do enough to earn it.

The Genius and Shiraz123 are both very knowledgeable as well as absolutely merciless towards their own Iranian kids and coaches. Just brutal. And, yes, fatalistic is a great adjective to describe a couple of them them. They are throwing in the towel already with Elahi vs Facundo because Facundo has Casey Cunningham in his corner.

For anyone interested in reading about 2022 U20s from the Iranian perspective, on the USA Wrestling board, go here:

This is great stuff:
Shiraz123 said:
Worst thing is that it's not just that we now know that Feldman is probably going to beat Masoumi. I've just read that the guy they have at 74 who Elahi has to wrestle round 1 is a penn state wrestler. That means he will have geniuses Cael Sanderson, David Taylor and that other Penn state coach who the guy told us about in this thread that is apparently the real genius at penn state when I was talking about Cael Sanderson being a genius. I forget his name. Then you have to factor in James Green also. Multiple geniuses will be in his corner at 74 all coaching against Elahi who will be coached by Afzali, a roid monkey who had 1 of the most embarrassing performances in Iranian senior world championship history at 2019 worlds. Its all over.

Last edited:
The Genius and Shiraz123 are both very knowledgeable as well as absolutely merciless towards their own Iranian kids and coaches. Just brutal. And, yes, fatalistic is a great adjective to describe a couple of them them. They are throwing in the towel already with Elahi vs Facundo because Facundo has Casey Cunningham in his corner.

And we thought PSU fans were pessimistic!

I'm sure that Kirk Ferentz has stars in his eyes thinking about this kid filling that frame. He's a special athlete. He may be good enough to wrestle for 2 months and still be a force in the NCAA tournament. But if he gets too good at that football thing, the football staff might quash that move.
Im copying from spooner over at tHR....Pretty cool of ferentz to say this in my mind.

“I recently talked to Brian Ferentz, and he told me, ‘Man, if this kid doesn’t wrestle, we’re stealing something away from this world. I’d feel bad if he didn’t wrestle.’

Im copying from spooner over at tHR....Pretty cool of ferentz to say this in my mind.

“I recently talked to Brian Ferentz, and he told me, ‘Man, if this kid doesn’t wrestle, we’re stealing something away from this world. I’d feel bad if he didn’t wrestle.’
Spooner? Take that with a grain of salt.

i may be mixing him up with other tellers of tall tales

Reactions: Buck15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT