ADVERTISEMENT

Junior worlds

I’m super excited for this tournament!! U 17’s and U 20’s are two of my favorite tournaments of the year. I wish Russia was there because they always bring a top team. The quality of competition is really high and I love seeing which US kids can put it together and come home with a medal. This tournament is also a pretty good preview of what senior worlds will look like in 3-4 years. Watching Keegan last year was an absolute joy! Seeing him losing to Bayramov only to lock up a cradle and pin him was electric and then he followed up with the exact same sequence against the Russian. I’m really hoping Facundo can follow in his footsteps and bring home that elusive gold after winning 2 bronze medals at cadet worlds. Overall this doesn’t look like one of the best US junior teams but without Russia being there I see Iran and the US battling it out. Feldman vs Iran should be incredible and will probably be Feldmans toughest match in quite awhile. I can’t wait and I’ll be watching as much as I can. Anyone else planning on watching?

I hate that Russia isn’t there. That stinks for our USA Wrestlers.
Facundo is looking lean and mean! Let’s go

I got only 5 placing
Which 5? I have 6…Bouzakis, Messenbrink, Facundo, Thompson, Kueter, and Feldman. I’m also saying 3 golds, 1 silver, and 2 bronze. Bouzakis, Facundo, and Kueter for gold, Feldman gets silver, and Thompson and Messenbrink with bronze. Who really knows though? I looked through the rosters and i don’t know if they are returning world medalists or someone barely making the team. I wish there were more stories about the top kids coming from other countries. Here is some info though

Last edited:
Reading through that article and seeing some of the foreigners credentials it’s going to be a great tournament. Facundo is in arguably the toughest weight with the defending U20 champion and runner-up at 70kg are both back plus a U17 champion from last year moving up to the U20 level. Absolutely stacked weight! At 97kg Kueter has an Iranian that won U23’s last year. At 92kg the top guy is Amirhossein FIROUZPOUR from Iran who won both U20 and U23 worlds last year. Cornella has a pretty tough weight as well with Indias Sujeet Sujeet who just beat Yianni D earlier this year and Umidjon JALOLOV who is a U17 world champion. Overall, the US has its hands full especially at some of their best weights. If Facundo can run the gauntlet and win this brutal weight it will show he’s jumped another level and that we can except great things for the upcoming year. The Iranian at 74kg beat Andonian at U20’s last year and also repped Iran at 70kg at senior worlds last year. Here is the Andonian match. Didn’t link directly to the match but the match is watchable from this link if you look around a bit

Last edited:
Which 5? I have 6…Bouzakis, Messenbrink, Facundo, Thompson, Kueter, and Feldman. I’m also saying 3 golds, 1 silver, and 2 bronze. Bouzakis, Facundo, and Kueter for gold, Feldman gets silver, and Thompson and Messenbrink with bronze. Who really knows though? I looked through the rosters and i don’t know if they are returning world medalists or someone barely making the team. I wish there were more stories about the top kids coming from other countries. Here is some info though
Facundo has a tough draw but he is our best American. I don’t have Thompson placing. Hope he does though.
Volk is tough and has an outside shot. He has always been good but lately is really beating top kids.
Do you see that Iranian beating Feldman? He crushed Mullins in the Cadet finals last year. He was a beast last year but very young for U20. Messenbrink is the story in this crew. He went basically unnoticed and then TF’s his way through the US Open. I am sure his current college is scared they will be back door’ed

Messenbrink is the story in this crew. He went basically unnoticed and then TF’s his way through the US Open. I am sure his current college is scared they will be back door’ed

Seems like that would be a reasonable fear for CBU, who haven't had much of a program but this year will be in the Big 12. Seems like a long way to go for a kid from Wisconsin, who I have to imagine would have Big 10 options if he so chose.

Facundo with the worst draw possible. Gets the defending U20 70kg champ from Iran first match and if he wins most likely sees last years U17 champion from India. Only good thing is if he does lose he will most likely get pulled back in. Watching the Iranians match with Andonian I wasn’t overly impressed but Andonian is a tricky guy to wrestle and is also ok wrestling with double over hooks which most guys aren’t. Facundo is going to have to clear that right side underhook all match. If he can do that he can win

I imagine B10 coaches, after his run at US open and beating Levi, wish they had another shot at him. CBU isn’t usually a college with world team members.
Hope he does well this week

The US meets up with Iran early in a lot of brackets. Feldman and Masoumi should meet in the semis. Thompson gets Iran his first match. Facundo sees Iran is his first match as well. Bouzakis would meet his Iranian opponent in the quarterfinals and Volk would have Iran in his first match if Iran gets by the reigning European champion Pirrodu from Italy in his first match. Both Cornella and Messenbrink would meet Iran in the semis if both countries get that far in the bracket. That is a lot of potential head to head before the finals.

The US meets up with Iran early in a lot of brackets. Feldman and Masoumi should meet in the semis. Thompson gets Iran his first match. Facundo sees Iran is his first match as well. Bouzakis would meet his Iranian opponent in the quarterfinals and Volk would have Iran in his first match if Iran gets by the reigning European champion Pirrodu from Italy in his first match. Both Cornella and Messenbrink would meet Iran in the semis if both countries get that far in the bracket. That is a lot of potential head to head before the finals.
Thats some piss-poor seeding.

Reactions: Ski
Thats some piss-poor seeding.
Completely agree! I don’t know if they even seed this at all or if it’s just random draw. Looking at the brackets it seems random to me.
I looked a bit more at Facundo’s first opponent Elahi. He was Iran’s 70kg rep at senior worlds last year. He won his first 2 matches before losing to Ernazar Akmataliev (KGZ) in the quarterfinals on criteria 8-8. Akmataliev would get to the finals pulling Elahi back in. He then lost 6-5 to Arman Andreasyan (ARM) to end his tournament. Elahi beat his first opponent Jintaro Motoyama 8-0. You might remember David Carr beating Motoyama 5-4 in the 2019 junior world finals. All this just shows how tough of a match Facundo has right off the bat. The winner of this match should be the favorite for gold

Just a basic question -- Freestyle starts tomorrow 8/15/22 at 11.0 Bulgaria time (which is 7 hours ahead of current US Eastern Daylight Time), so we'll be getting results by late morning/afternoon our time?

Have to agree with the experts at first glance -- seeding looks rough

Just a basic question -- Freestyle starts tomorrow 8/15/22 at 11.0 Bulgaria time (which is 7 hours ahead of current US Eastern Daylight Time), so we'll be getting results by late morning/afternoon our time?

Have to agree with the experts at first glance -- seeding looks rough
First round is 4:00am to 7:30am eastern time and the semis are from 11:00am to 12:30. Those are the only 2 sessions tomorrow

Great start by the boys. Kueter wins by tech, Cornella wins 8-0, and Messenbrink techs 12-0 in about 30 seconds. Messenbrink looked incredible. His last 4 was off a double into a cartwheel type roll. Looked pretty cool. Definitely check it out
Cornella in the hole on mat A

Raul Caso, the Italian that Sealey beat up in the world finals a couple weeks ago is also wrestling in this tournament at 70kg.
Also saw a Brit in the bracket?! Didn’t know they wrestled. His name is Harvey Ridings. I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere

Thompson loses to Iran 6-1. Iranian completely shut him down. Never really came close to scoring other than his shot clock point. Cornella up next also against Iran
Hey you edited your post. Now people are going to wonder why I laughed at it.🙂

Hey you edited your post. Now people are going to wonder why I laughed at it.🙂
Ha! You must have been quick because I edited right away!
Huge win by Cornella to make the semis! Losing 4-0 to Iran and comes back to win 6-5 with a td in the last 10 seconds. Really great match!
Kueter to the semis as well with a hard fought win over India. The kid from India was super strong and moved Kueter around but Kueter was slicker and won 8-1 I believe. Both his match and Cornellas were at the same time

Common theme with Iran..
giphy.gif

USA is looking great. Four of five into the semis. The juniors could match the cadets.
Not having Russia stinks

ADVERTISEMENT