ADVERTISEMENT

Junior worlds

I'm sure that Kirk Ferentz has stars in his eyes thinking about this kid filling that frame. He's a special athlete. He may be good enough to wrestle for 2 months and still be a force in the NCAA tournament. But if he gets too good at that football thing, the football staff might quash that move.
That’s the big “if.” Should be get good enough at football, I can’t imagine Ferentz will want him wrestling.

Reactions: nitlion6
LOL, The wheels have come off..

Shiraz123

• Gold Member
  • Members
  • 2,538 posts
Posted 1 hour ago
1 hour ago, Le duke said:
I believe you mean Casey Cunningham, David Taylor's coach at NLWC and the head assistant at Penn State. I wouldn't say that Casey is "better" than Cael, but he's been the middleweight coach (157-165-174lbs/~71kg-75kg-79kg) since DT started at Penn State. Cunningham has a pretty collaborative relationship with the other coaches, it seems.
And, yes, he's coaching and working with Facundo and will be his corner man.
Yep, that was the name. Casey Cunningham. He's in the hotel now with the other guys I named all coming together to plan for the Elahi match.

Kueter is very underrated as a football recruit IMO and he's a 4 star on 247 (90 rating) He's not in a very hot recruiting area and he didn't attend any national showcase camps once he got his Iowa offer and knew where he wanted to go. He was extremely productive (think he had like 40+ TFL) and is a freak athlete to say the least. Legitimately think he could be a potential 1st rounder one day at LB.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
What a great first day! Thank you to everyone for doing updates for the second session as I couldn’t watch. I will be back tonight though and do updates again for the first session. Really excited to see Facundo. Hoping he has a great tournament.

If you guys want to watch a really high level match watch the 65kg semi between Ziraddin Bayramov and Sujeet Sujeet. Bayramov beat Bartlett in the semis at last years u20’s and is the younger brother of AZE world team member Turan Bayramov. Sujeet Sujeet just beat Yianni earlier this year convincingly 8-2. Super fun match at a very high level. Bayramov is a beast. So fast and powerful.

Im copying from spooner over at tHR....Pretty cool of ferentz to say this in my mind.

“I recently talked to Brian Ferentz, and he told me, ‘Man, if this kid doesn’t wrestle, we’re stealing something away from this world. I’d feel bad if he didn’t wrestle.’
Didn't say how bad he'd feel. Probably not THAT bad.

Reactions: Skoal117
Is Levi Haines kicking himself right now? I haven't seen a good explanation as to why he went 74kg at the US Open then 70kg in the WTT, before facing a fresh Mesenbrink in the best of 3. He looked a bit fatigued after four matches.

He has another 2 years of Junior eligibility but this bracket was easy pickings.
He’s surely rolled with Facundo some at SC, he knew his chances there.

Where was Will Bettancourtt today? Didn’t he qualify for team Mexico or something to be in this ?

Kueter is very underrated as a football recruit IMO and he's a 4 star on 247 (90 rating) He's not in a very hot recruiting area and he didn't attend any national showcase camps once he got his Iowa offer and knew where he wanted to go. He was extremely productive (think he had like 40+ TFL) and is a freak athlete to say the least. Legitimately think he could be a potential 1st rounder one day at LB.
If he has potential to be a 1st round draft pick, he needs to focus on football...too much money involved to do otherwise.

Listening to Mesenbrink's post match interview was really cool. Process over results. Give his father and Ben some props. This young man has his head on straight and has a great attitude. You have prepared.....trust the process....go have fun. Man.....he would look good with the white stripe :)

Thompson up against Turkey. Lots of handfighting and Thompson goes on the clock. Turkey goes up 1-0 on shot clock point. 1-0 at the break. Not much action so far. Thompson on the clock again. 2-0 Turkey. Turkey goes on the clock now. 2-1 now with 45 seconds left. Thompson loses 2-1. Kid gave him no space and Thompson didn’t know what to do. Not an inspired match

Iran right to his right side underhook. Pushes and gets a stepout. Again but Facundo ground’s himself and ends up on top for 2. 2-1 Facundo. Right side underhook again and Facundo gives up a Td. 3-2 Iran. 3-2 at the break. Tight match but Facundo is in it. Needs to clear this underhook right away. Td Iran. 5-2. 2 min to go and this Iranian isn’t going to gas I don’t think. Td Facundo 5-4. Let’s go! 45 sec. Damn! Loses 5-4. Hits a super duck as time expires and almost scores. Good match but needed to get to his offense more. When he went he created but he didn’t attack a ton. Granted it’s not the easiest when you have a very talented guy across from you. Facundo should get pulled back in but Irans next match is tough as well as he looks to have Jaglan from India who was U17 champion last year. Jaglan looks 30, not sure how he was in U17 last year!

Facundo went down 5-4 to Elahi. It was a really good match. It was 0-1, then 2-1 with a TD by Alex. Then Elahi went up 2-3 at the break. Another TD by Elahi made it 2-5. Then Facundo scored on a beautiful superduck to make it 4-5. Then he almost scored with 2 seconds left on another superduck.
Elahi is the real deal. He looked like a mini Yazdani with his underhook game. Really positionally sound. He almost always ends up where he wants to be. Super quick and strong. Alex lost to a very good kid.

Bouzakis up again against Turkey. Turkey gets a Td and gut to go up 4-0 and Bouzakis strikes back with his own td. 4-2. Bouzakis manhandles his opponent over with a wrist and half and pins him!! These kids are not prepared for his strength. Really impressive. From a merkle like position Nick went one on one wrist and half and as he started driving he popped his leg out from the merkle position and drove the kid right over. Turkey had no idea what to do. Bouzakis is giving up a few points but when he gets his chance he is ending it quick. Very impressed so far

Facundo went down 5-4 to Elahi. It was a really good match. It was 0-1, then 2-1 with a TD by Alex. Then Elahi went up 2-3 at the break. Another TD by Elahi made it 2-5. Then Facundo scored on a beautiful superduck to make it 4-5. Then he almost scored with 2 seconds left on another superduck.
Elahi is the real deal. He looked like a mini Yazdani with his underhook game. Really positionally sound. He almost always ends up where he wants to be. Super quick and strong. Alex lost to a very good kid.
Yes Elahi is very good. Lost on criteria 8-8 to the world runner up at senior worlds this year. I think Facundo will be just fine

Berge up vs Hungary. Hungary with the first td off a crazy scramble where it looked like Berge was about to score. Berge comes right back with a Td into a lace to go up 4-2. Berge’s ear is bleeding so multiple blood time stoppages. Going to have to wrap it it looks like. Berge is super lanky and has a beautiful ankle pick. Scores another td on a go behind and another lace to go up 8-2. Blood time again. Beautiful td and Berge up 10-2 another makes it a 12-2 tech. Berge looking very good and into the quarterfinals

Feldman and Smith going to be up at the same time. Smith gets the European champ and one of the favorites to make the finals. Feldman gets Bulgaria

Feldmans opponent built like a fire hydrant. Comes out and tries an arm spin but Feldman runs around for 2. Challenge by Bulgaria I guess for correct throw? Actually called it a slip so it’s 0-0 still. Feldman goes single and quick finish for his first td. This Bulgarian is a big boy and they are hand fighting hard but it seems like if Feldman attacks he will score. 2-0 at the break

smith up 3-0 but I’m not able to watch it. Just checking score on occasion. Smith up 4-0 with a min left in first. Smith up 6-0 with 2 min remaining. This would be a massive win. Jaxon Smith a huge 8-1 win over the European champ and favorite to make the finals opposite Iran. I need to go back and watch this

Feldman with a stepout to go up 3-0. Feldman goes on the clock with 1:20 left. Gets the Td to go up 5-0. Whenever he attacks he scores. I’m sure he doesn’t want to get caught under this huge dude but his style is to attack. If he wrestles this way against Masoumi it isn’t going to be good. Bulgaria challenged and won. Feldman up 3-1. Now 4-1 with a step out. Another challenge This time challenge lost and Feldman up 5-1. Now 5-2 and that’s how it ends. Not super impressed with Feldman in this match. His opponent was huge but he is so much quicker that he can’t just sit in the handfight. Masoumi will kill him if he does that. He needs to get in on attacks and make him work from positions he’s not used to

Huge match for the team race up next with Bouzakis vs Iran. Match is up in a couple. Elahi vs Jaglan up in a min as well. Big match for the US and Facundo. Actually rooting for Iran in this one. Jaxon Smith probably up at the same time as Bouzakis as well

Bouzakis vs Iran!! Big match to get to the semis and guarantee to wrestle for a medal. Huge collar tie from Bouzakis and the refs don’t like it. Sucker drag for a Td for Iran. Almost a turn but Bouzakis powers out of it. Kid is freaky strong I think. Bouzakis with a beautiful double, tries to go big but only gets 1 on stepout. Challenge by Iran. Lost so another point for Nick. 2-2. Lost my feed but come back and it’s 4-4 but Iran is hurt as Bouzakis was cranking a bar. Iran is winning on criteria. Td Iran 6-4. Break. Beautiful shot by Nick and it’s 6-6 and huge gut for Bouzakis! Up 8-6. Stepout for Iran 8-7. Nick doesn’t know what to do against the underhook but when he attacks he is scoring Bouzakis step out. 9-7. 1 min. Nick gives up 2 on the edge. 9-9 but losing on criteria. Td and turn Iran. Up 13-9 with 25 left. Td at the buzzer but loses 13-11. Weird match. Bouzakis gives up some easy points and looked lost against the underhook but then hit some beautiful shots and is super physical. Not sure what to make of it

just checked and Smith is down 10-2 in the second. Smith got teched 12-2 by GEO

Elahi vs Jaglan. Elahi with 2 quick push outs to go up 2-0. Jaglan has no answer for that right side underhook so far. Right as a say that they scramble and Jaglan gets a Td into a lace and it’s 8-2 Jaglan! Break. We need a big comeback from Iran to pull Facundo back in. India now stopping the underhook by tying up the hands and fingers on Elahi’s right side. Good tactic. Elahi looks uninterested and it’s a bit strange. Step out 8-3. 8-4. Td Jaglan 10-4 with 45 sec left. Not looking good. Jaglan completely shut down the underhook of Elahi in the second period and he had nothing else. 10-5 win and Facundo is done. Really shitty to go all that way and get 1 match!

Berge coming up for the last US match of the session. He wins and him and Feldman will be in the semis. Facundo is done, Bouzakis will probably be pulled back in as should Smith but we will see next round. Feldman gets Masoumi in the semis! Huge match. Iran has been very good today

Berge vs Ukraine. Berge with a beautiful double for 2 30 sec in. Berges ear is bleeding again. Need to just wrap it from the start. Nothing else to do with the ear. Knee pull and a Td for Berge into a lace and it’s 8-0. He transitions from his shot into a lace as well as anyone I’ve seen this whole tournament. Has done it over and over. Another big double and that’s it!! 10-0 tech and Berge is in the semis. Definitely has looked the best out of everyone today. Really really good and putting up a ton of points

That’s it for me. Probably won’t make the semis this morning but will hopefully be back for the medal matches. Hope you guys enjoyed my commentary. Let’s get gold Volk, Messenbrink, and Kueter!!
great morning ZZ and others....thanks again

ADVERTISEMENT