ADVERTISEMENT

Junior World victory takeaways

PSUisawesome

Feb 22, 2017
I saw a lot and will watch most of the matches again and again certainly Mark's will be memorized by the end of the month. Would like to hear what you guys saw. Here are a couple of the obvious.
1) Mark keeps growing. He's in the right place at the right time and he knows it. Super talented yeah but his genius appears to be the way he is willing to make the most of all of his blessings. Like Zain...and Nolf...and Bo...and CJ
2) Gable Stevenson and Kyle Snyder are going to have some epic battles. Right now the menatal edge goes to Synder but by 2020 who knows?
3) we are in a knew era. The otc/rtc things is working. Should be beating Russia regularly moving forward.
4) Fix is almost a lock for 4 NCAA titles. The kid is firing better on all cylinders than most kids fire on any.

I saw a lot and will watch most of the matches again and again certainly Mark's will be memorized by the end of the month. Would like to hear what you guys saw. Here are a couple of the obvious.
1) Mark keeps growing. He's in the right place at the right time and he knows it. Super talented yeah but his genius appears to be the way he is willing to make the most of all of his blessings. Like Zain...and Nolf...and Bo...and CJ
2) Gable Stevenson and Kyle Snyder are going to have some epic battles. Right now the menatal edge goes to Synder but by 2020 who knows?
3) we are in a knew era. The otc/rtc things is working. Should be beating Russia regularly moving forward.
4) Fix is almost a lock for 4 NCAA titles. The kid is firing better on all cylinders better than most kids fire on any.
1) Agreed
2) In 2020, Snyder will no longer be wrestling in the NCAA. I don't think he and Stevenson (who has outgrown 100kg) will face each other in freestyle.
3) Agree that RTC thing seems to be working. But beating Russia regularly - I wouldn't consider that to be a "should be."
4) I love Fix and have thought for a while that he was the #1 recruit in 2017. Love his attitude - he is constantly looking to be pushed and challenged and not afraid to swim in water over his head. Bodes well for continued growth and success. But lock for 4 NCAA titles seems like hyperbole to me.

4) Fix is almost a lock for 4 NCAA titles. The kid is firing better on all cylinders than most kids fire on any.
Mark will separate from Bojo this year. Too poised, too athletic.

1) Agreed
2) In 2020, Snyder will no longer be wrestling in the NCAA. I don't think he and Stevenson (who has outgrown 100kg) will face each other in freestyle.
3) Agree that RTC thing seems to be working. But beating Russia regularly - I wouldn't consider that to be a "should be."
4) I love Fix and have thought for a while that he was the #1 recruit in 2017. Love his attitude - he is constantly looking to be pushed and challenged and not afraid to swim in water over his head. Bodes well for continued growth and success. But lock for 4 NCAA titles seems like hyperbole to me.
2) noted so much the better
3) Mark was wrestling a Russian who placed 2nd in their senior nationals this year. This match feels like the direction of things to come.
4) Fix at 125 is definitely top four potential. As we saw this year top four can become number one for the best kids. If fix wins as a freshman I don't see anyone catching him. I know cruz-Gross-lee-Suriano will have something to say about it but my gut is much the same with him as it was with Hall March 2017. It makes no sense but I can't see him loosing either.

Yeah Jordan was not healthy and inactive last year. Plus you know he wants some payback, and is surely going to be motivated to win his first NCAA title in his last try.

Good thing is Mark is definitely done at 74KG, and he even said he can now fill out to a full 174 pounder. They will have some great matches against one another next year.

Yeah Jordan was not healthy and inactive last year. Plus you know he wants some payback, and is surely going to be motivated to win his first NCAA title in his last try.

Good thing is Mark is definitely done at 74KG, and he even said he can now fill out to a full 174 pounder. They will have some great matches against one another next year.
I saw no ill-effects late in the season. I'm certainly not buying Tom Ryan's patter.

Mark is a bigger talent and will prove it.

Not convinced about this myself. Favored yes, but not sure about that much separation if Jordan is healthy. We'll see, I'm looking forward to some epic matches this year between the two...as they could face each other 3 times.

I do like to keep the comment running that bothered poopa Stieber
Enough with foot-gate. He looked perfectly healthy at Nationals and in his deadlifting videos.

BoJo just hasn't improved much since his arrival in Columbus, he's the same dude which is mostly great, but not legendary. He hasn't evolved, Mark has and BO will learn a quick and another painful lesson or 3.

I believe Seth N. has had a couple real close matches with Stevenson. Should get very interesting once Seth gets in our room.

I believe Gable hasn't lost a match of any kind since 8th grade? He is making a good argument as the best HS wrestler ever.

Maybe he will finally figure out how to deadlift out of bottom.

Reactions: diggerpup
I don't believe they have, but I don't have the frame of reference Spyker does.

Actually I think seth said in an interview this spring they hadnt.
That's what he overheard from the 2 guys hanging outside the Rec weight room, the one you have to walk across campus to buy a guest pass for.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
Not convinced about this myself. Favored yes, but not sure about that much separation if Jordan is healthy. We'll see, I'm looking forward to some epic matches this year between the two...as they could face each other 3 times.
I'm not a betting man but...
I see Mark winning 7-1 style here on in

As a matter a fact this Steveson-Nevills room tilt might have been before the NLWC clinic held by Aleksandr Karelin last May.
I'm hearing Nevills wrestled Steveson in the next meet after Nevills wrestled Cyon. The Cyon match captured all the attention, so we don't remember the Steveson match.

Reactions: ptomaselli

Would love to see Jordan have the balls to shoot more, but who wants to vs that counter attack? BoJo will continue to keep it reasonably close by doing nothing like he has his entire career vs top tier

Reactions: diggerpup
Would love to see Jordan have the balls to shoot more, but who wants to vs that counter attack? BoJo will continue to keep it reasonably close by doing nothing like he has his entire career vs top tier
Indeed and I think Mark will develop some in roads. I think he will get at least 2 TDs and esacape without giving up more than one escape.( it's Mark and our coaches they are not going to let less happen.) The X factor will be his ability to turn and get ridding time. Being optimistic I see 7-1 being the new normal.

I believe Gable hasn't lost a match of any kind since 8th grade? He is making a good argument as the best HS wrestler ever.
I strongly agree. Gable is a beast and we could have had him but the Coaches must think Nick is the real deal as well. A guy at work told me they wrestled a couple times years ago and they were very close matches. You guys may very well be right. I do think Seth will improve more then Gable. Guess we will see if it's enough. He wanted him last year but Gable was a no show.

I strongly agree. Gable is a beast and we could have had him but the Coaches must think Nick is the real deal as well. A guy at work told me they wrestled a couple times years ago and they were very close matches. You guys may very well be right. I do think Seth will improve more then Gable. Guess we will see if it's enough. He wanted him last year but Gable was a no show.

You are truly a classic, I counted about 6 things in that little passage I believe to simply be inaccurate , the only thing we agree on is Gable is a Beast.

Reactions: James Toney
Delete your account

False- You couldn't have had him.

False- Seth and Gable have never wrestled. Not even in practice.

Fact- Gable is pushing our senior level guys.

Was the guy at work cooking meth?

I saw no ill-effects late in the season. I'm certainly not buying Tom Ryan's patter.

Mark is a bigger talent and will prove it.

I hope you are right, though Hall did lose to Brucki, Meyer, and BoJo last year. Haha. Seriously though without Zahid there, Mark should be a big favorite to repeat next year.

Enough with foot-gate. He looked perfectly healthy at Nationals and in his deadlifting videos.

It would be presumptuous for me to say anything about Bo’s injury. I really don’t know. Only remember he saw limited action for part of last season. What is separation? Mark won by 3 in St. Louis, so double that to 6, maybe a major?

BoJo just hasn't improved much since his arrival in Columbus, he's the same dude which is mostly great, but not legendary. He hasn't evolved, Mark has and BO will learn a quick and another painful lesson or 3.
That's a fair assessment, though the kid was 21-2 as a RSFR, and has about a 60% bonus rate in his career. Not much room to move upward.

I've been wrong before. Just don't see a 6-point margin here.

It would be presumptuous for me to say anything about Bo’s injury. I really don’t know. Only remember he saw limited action for part of last season. What is separation? Mark won by 3 in St. Louis, so double that to 6, maybe a major?

That's a fair assessment, though the kid was 21-2 as a RSFR, and has about a 60% bonus rate in his career. Not much room to move upward.

I've been wrong before. Just don't see a 6-point margin here.
Mark got two TDs and an escape in the finals. Bo got two escapes. I see Mark getting better in offense and at riding next year and going forward. Mark IMPROVES like a Zain or a Synder. He will find ways to score on his feet and on top next year that will represent an increased threat. From a 5-2 baseline I see 7-1 as conservative. I also see Mark respecting Bo so we will see a conservative match. 7-1

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT