ADVERTISEMENT

Junior World victory takeaways

Mark wrestled rather conservatively last year against top guys. I think this year he will try to join Zain, Nolf and Bo on really trying to open it up. Lord knows he got the talent to join that group.

Reactions: diggerpup
That's a fair assessment, though the kid was 21-2 as a RSFR, and has about a 60% bonus rate in his career. Not much room to move upward.

I've been wrong before. Just don't see a 6-point margin here.

Are we sure Bo Jordan can stay at 174 without serious difficulty?

As an tOSU fan... my opinion was the last year was BoJo's only real chance of winning nationals. If you are going to beat Mark Hall - you have to do it in year 1.

Mark Hall will jump multiple levels between year 1 and year 2, just like Kyle Snyder did, ... and probably will not lose another match in his NCAA career.

I think jumping levels is within Hall's ability, but I don't think this year will necessarily be a big difference from last year. He still reacts more than dictates ("he shoots, I score") and so long as you're waiting around, the points aren't going to go up as fast as Nolf, Nickal, and Zain put them up, at least against top 10 or so guys who know that the best chance they have of beating. Still seems to be growing into his body as well.

Of course, last year he was good enough for a national championship so I'm hardly complaining. But I don't see Hall doing what we're doing at 149, 157, and 184 until he fundamentally changes his approach and initiates more. I think there may be some room for improvement on the pace front because he spent most of last season in redshirt not having to worry about much except feeling out the D1 competition, so maybe a better gas tank gives him license to initiate more.

I think jumping levels is within Hall's ability, but I don't think this year will necessarily be a big difference from last year. He still reacts more than dictates ("he shoots, I score") and so long as you're waiting around, the points aren't going to go up as fast as Nolf, Nickal, and Zain put them up, at least against top 10 or so guys who know that the best chance they have of beating. Still seems to be growing into his body as well.

Of course, last year he was good enough for a national championship so I'm hardly complaining. But I don't see Hall doing what we're doing at 149, 157, and 184 until he fundamentally changes his approach and initiates more. I think there may be some room for improvement on the pace front because he spent most of last season in redshirt not having to worry about much except feeling out the D1 competition, so maybe a better gas tank gives him license to initiate more.
you have a point. And I have two more.
1) Mark Wrestles for the three C's and has self respect. He will find a way to be a top scorer. And it won't be because he got bigger.
2) a year from now I won't be able to say I told you so because this will be very old news.
PS I called Zain for the world team

I see Mark as more like Bo N than Zain and Nolf. Incredibly dangerous in all positions. He isn't going to be on the constant attack but will score from all positions and rack up pins in the process. Gonna be fun!

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT