ADVERTISEMENT

"Jim Harbaugh’s Michigan tenure isn’t going as well as expected" - ProFootball Talk article

Agree. If Peters comes back strong from injury and given the young talent on defense would not surprise me in the least if they win the East next season. Harbaugh did underachieve with the roster he had last year but losing a starting QB late in the season is never easy to overcome unless you are Ohio State. He did take OSU to overtime in Columbus last year so he is only a few wins from delivering on the promise. Will he finish his career at Michigan, my guess, no. But I expect him to stay long enough to deliver a Big Ten Championship.

Last years Team was a really solid Team... one of the best he will have... and he failed..,

We were at home, we got up early, and their offense was putrid. If there offense could have put up some points, taken some time off the clock and changed field position, then it would have been a different game...

Wow, how many more conditions do you want to attach to the outcome? Say, I bet if UM had Tom Brady, Tyrone Wheatly and Braylon Edwards, it REALLY would have been a different game.

We were at home, we got up early, and their offense was putrid. If there offense could have put up some points, taken some time off the clock and changed field position, then it would have been a different game...

No...because they actually did that in the first half a d it didn't work.

Reactions: Jwsmitty
5a107d3aaabd4234ba000001.png

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I have a real disdain for both O$U and scUM, like most of us do. When they play, I'll pull for the team that can cause the other the most pain...ie I was rooting for O$U last year. This year is interesting...I'm kinda torn. Do I cheer for scUM to keep O$U out of the Big Ten Championship game and knock them out of the CFP? Or, do I cheer for O$U keeping that idiot winless against O$U. I'm leaning towards cheering for scUM...

Interesting. You take time to post on a football message board but don’t even know OSU vs Wisconsin is already locked.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y

Completely agree. And if PSU's WR's would have dropped a couple of key 3rd down balls. And Barkley would have been hurt. And Trace would have fumbled the ball three times. And Davis kicked the ball out of bounds on all the kick-offs. And Gilliken would have dropped a punt snap for a blocked punt and shanked all his other punts. And the refineries called a few more pass interference calls against PSU. And if Penn State would have had a bad tackling day. And Michigan Oline would have made 4 or 5 more key blocks. Then Michigan would have won. Brilliant.

Completely agree. And if PSU's WR's would have dropped a couple of key 3rd down balls. And Barkley would have been hurt. And Trace would have fumbled the ball three times. And Davis kicked the ball out of bounds on all the kick-offs. And Gilliken would have dropped a punt snap for a blocked punt and shanked all his other punts. And the refineries called a few more pass interference calls against PSU. And if Penn State would have had a bad tackling day. And Michigan Oline would have made 4 or 5 more key blocks. Then Michigan would have won. Brilliant.

My point isn't that we would have lost, it is simply that if Michigan gets good QB play under Harbaugh, they will be good and a thorn in our side. I am not saying that we will not be able to beat them, but they will be hard fought contests (unlike the Rich Rod and Hoke days)...And if they would have had good qb play, they would have extended a few more drives against us this year, which would have probably kept the game closer. If you cant see Harbaugh with a good Qb being a problem, you haven't watched him win a lot of games wherever he has been.

Reactions: Mudge1026
here's some Meat Chicken fun for you

they posted their schedule for the next 2 seasons. already penciled in the Big Ten Championship game, LOL

LINK

Sept. 1 -- at Notre Dame
Sept. 8 -- Western Michigan
Sept. 15 -- Southern Methodist
Sept. 22 -- Nebraska*
Sept. 29 -- at Northwestern*
Oct. 6 -- Maryland* (Homecoming)
Oct. 13 -- Wisconsin*
Oct. 20 -- at Michigan State*
Oct. 27 -- Bye Week
Nov. 3 -- Penn State*
Nov. 10 -- at Rutgers*
Nov. 17 -- Indiana*
Nov. 24 -- at Ohio State*
Dec. 1 -- Big Ten Championship Game

Aug. 31 -- Middle Tennessee State
Sept. 7 -- Army
Sept. 14 -- Bye Week
Sept. 21 -- at Wisconsin*
Sept. 28 -- Rutgers*
Oct. 5 -- Iowa* (Homecoming)
Oct. 12 -- at Illinois*
Oct. 19 -- at Penn State*
Oct. 26 -- Notre Dame
Nov. 2 -- at Maryland*
Nov. 9 -- Bye Week
Nov. 16 -- Michigan State*
Nov. 23 -- at Indiana*
Nov. 30 -- Ohio State*
Dec. 7 -- Big Ten Championship Game

search

capture_20161001_152411.jpg

For instance, the above formation is fun and cheeky(and wholly unnecessary) when you are playing Illinois and undefeated. It quickly turns pathetic and weird when you are a middling program like Michigan. This is the type of stuff that draws unnecessary attention to a coach and a program. When things are going well, it is fun and the attention is cool. When things aren't? I would want my coach to be more focused on putting together a competent game plan with the myriad of 1 million dollar assistant coaches on staff and stop playing f***ing games.

Last edited:
OSU is in the Championship game regardless of Saturdays outcome

Ha! If you listen to the talking heads on ESPN, that's the truth. Last year the line was that PSU didn't deserve to be in the playoffs b/c they got blown out by Michigan. This year, the line is that OSU deserves to be in the playoffs regardless of the fact that they got blown out TWICE. Argh!

Reactions: BBrown and john4psu
https://sports.yahoo.com/jim-harbau...m-harbaugh-michigan-tenure-isn-141610267.html

Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh has a habit of staying at each of his coaching stops only four years at a time. University of San Diego, four years. Stanford, four years. 49ers, four years.

But none of those tenures ended because Harbaugh was struggling. To the contrary, he has consistently performed well. The bar, however, rests much higher at Michigan, where many believed that Harbaugh would become Schembechler 2.0 for the Wolverines.

The honeymoon ended a while ago, and the criticism is becoming more pointed in the wake of Saturday’s loss at Wisconsin.

Detroit Free Press. “A team that’s not ready to sit at the big table. A coaching staff that has a lot of questions to answer. A program that’s got a long way to go.”

It’s premature to consider the possibility of Michigan firing Harbaugh. However, he may be starting to consider whether he should walk well before the point where they make him run.

5c4.jpg
dead-man-walking-t-shirts-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

Ha! If you listen to the talking heads on ESPN, that's the truth. Last year the line was that PSU didn't deserve to be in the playoffs b/c they got blown out by Michigan. This year, the line is that OSU deserves to be in the playoffs regardless of the fact that they got blown out TWICE. Argh!

ummmm ... it is the truth

not the playoffs, but the B10 Championship game

My point isn't that we would have lost, it is simply that if Michigan gets good QB play under Harbaugh, they will be good and a thorn in our side. I am not saying that we will not be able to beat them, but they will be hard fought contests (unlike the Rich Rod and Hoke days)...And if they would have had good qb play, they would have extended a few more drives against us this year, which would have probably kept the game closer. If you cant see Harbaugh with a good Qb being a problem, you haven't watched him win a lot of games wherever he has been.

go back and watch that game, O'Korn was their best player on offense. QB was far down the list of reasons we kicked their ass this year

Reactions: SUPERTODD and PSU87
and if they had scored more points than PSU that day, they definitely could have won

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown

But that is not what you said. If you would say that if Michigan would have had Chad Henne or Drew Henson (ie..a future NFL quality) as their QB instead of Speights or O'Korn the last couple of years they would have won more games, than I think most would have agreed. But if PSU would have had Levi Brown at left tackle or Poz or Dan Connor at LB the last few years, than PSU would have won more games also. So that argument is mute as you play with what you have, not an all star list of prior generations.

I thought Hairball was a QB guru ?

He is 3 years into a 5 year deal? And frankly...walked into a better situation talent wise at Michigan then he did at Stanford...His 2010 Stanford Team at 12-1 was his best squad and had a great Offensive Coordinator in David Shaw...

He pays one of the top defensive minds in football today...has all the talent in the World...but...does not win the "big" ones...that is a fact.

UM owns him...and frankly...when Franklin finally gets firm footing ( his scholarship players and no more hint of a sanction team) he will own Hairball for the next two or less years he is at Michigan .

Wow, a coach can be good when he has a good QB....there's a novel idea. I guess that could be said about most coaches including Harbaugh. So you're saying Harbaugh's career was pretty much made by having an Andrew Luck? That's what we've been saying.

Reactions: BBrown
I agree they seem to only need a decent QB to be a serious team. But it’s a simple and direct point and you’re taking a Dandy if a scenic route.

Harbaugh has burned some redshirts late in the year that really are baffling. Brought in a WR for our game who hadn't played all year for a single WR screen. He isn't acting like someone who is at Michigan for the long haul.
McDoom? He wound up playing a role with screens and end-arounds which continues - to little success - this season. I wouldn’t call that a burned shirt given how little WR production they returned. Though McDoom hasn’t been particularly good, but none of the WR have this season.

I strongly suspect that Harbaugh’s ego will not allow him to be fired at Mich. The fear of getting canned might be what gets him to make the jump to the NFL.
FWIW this is my take as well. If anything, he isn’t going to go out after a middling season unless he’s avoiding being fired (and no one is talking about firing the guy). He wants to be the guy who came and saved his alma mater. Whether he’s successful at that is an open question, but his ego is only going to drive him harder now that he’s no longer a media darling imo.

McDoom? He wound up playing a role with screens and end-arounds which continues - to little success - this season. I wouldn’t call that a burned shirt given how little WR production they returned. Though McDoom hasn’t been particularly good, but none of the WR have this season.

Game seven. Nico Collins burned his redshirt irrevocably by playing on a wide receiver screen to DPJ. If you're going to burn a redshirt it should at least be for a route, right? At least he looked burly.

Game seven. Nico Collins burned his redshirt irrevocably by playing on a wide receiver screen to DPJ. If you're going to burn a redshirt it should at least be for a route, right? At least he looked burly.
Total brain fart...I was thinking back to last year’s game. Collins has seen the field a bit the past month and caught a couple of balls. They expected to play 2 of the 4 freshman WR; but Collins was pressed into service after Black was injured and Perry/McDoom/Crawford gave them no production. Two weeks ago UM had a game where only one completion went to WRs. The offense - especially the passing game - is atrocious.

EDIT: I almost forgot that Crawford got hurt against Penn State - he just returned last week. So Collins played after they lost both outside WR starters. Not exactly a wonton burning of a redshirt imo.

Last edited:
I am not taking anything away from our win, but a good QB for Michigan changes the dynamics considerably...To overlook that is simply wishful thinking.

and if we would have a good OL it would have changed the dynamics considerably. Wow this is easy.
C'mon this isn't if's and buts.

Reactions: Madsol
Harbaugh is still in year 3 at Michigan. He is 10-3, 10-3 and so far this year 8-3 with significant graduation losses after last year. He is doing fine and IMO do not see him going anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT