ADVERTISEMENT

"Jim Harbaugh’s Michigan tenure isn’t going as well as expected" - ProFootball Talk article

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
https://sports.yahoo.com/jim-harbau...m-harbaugh-michigan-tenure-isn-141610267.html

Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh has a habit of staying at each of his coaching stops only four years at a time. University of San Diego, four years. Stanford, four years. 49ers, four years.

But none of those tenures ended because Harbaugh was struggling. To the contrary, he has consistently performed well. The bar, however, rests much higher at Michigan, where many believed that Harbaugh would become Schembechler 2.0 for the Wolverines.

The honeymoon ended a while ago, and the criticism is becoming more pointed in the wake of Saturday’s loss at Wisconsin.

Detroit Free Press. “A team that’s not ready to sit at the big table. A coaching staff that has a lot of questions to answer. A program that’s got a long way to go.”

It’s premature to consider the possibility of Michigan firing Harbaugh. However, he may be starting to consider whether he should walk well before the point where they make him run.

5c4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I really hate Michigan (as a sports fan), and get a kick making fun of Hairball, but I think it’s way to premature to think he’s in trouble. Bigger picture, I often find it troubling that there’s so little patience with coaching regimes. Having said that however, last years team was a good one and should have achieved more... idk

I really hate Michigan (as a sports fan), and get a kick making fun of Hairball, but I think it’s way to premature to think he’s in trouble. Bigger picture, I often find it troubling that there’s so little patience with coaching regimes. Having said that however, last years team was a good one and should have achieved more... idk

Michigan took great advantage of the "hot seat" BS talk about Franklin in 2015 to flip some of our verbals. Turn around is fair play.

I strongly suspect that Harbaugh’s ego will not allow him to be fired at Mich. The fear of getting canned might be what gets him to make the jump to the NFL.

Reactions: LionJim
Realistically he's nowhere near being canned and the seat isn't warm in the least.
But, after all the crap that was spewed in the media last year about Franklin being on the "hot seat" in year 3 after going 2-2 to start the year I'm loving that the rumor mill is swirling and articles like this are being written.

I strongly suspect that Harbaugh’s ego will not allow him to be fired at Mich. The fear of getting canned might be what gets him to make the jump to the NFL.

You're assuming that he has the opportunity to jump. Harbaugh didn't exit SF gracefully and you can be sure that is remembered in quite a few front offices.

Will it be premature Saturday evening, after they have lost to Tosu again?

Reactions: Sharkies
Michigan if they have found their qb will be really good next year

Well anything is possible. But thats what they've been saying about Michigan since Harb's got there and so far its been all hype.
Michigan is the most continually over rated team out side of ND and The Cowboys.

Next year. Always next year with those guys.

It's like the sign in the bar that says 'Free Drinks Tomorrow'.
Good point.They will be tested right out of the box opening with the Irish.Like Psu this year they have a bye week before playing Psu next year.They do play whisky and msu back to back also.

Harbaugh has burned some redshirts late in the year that really are baffling. Brought in a WR for our game who hadn't played all year for a single WR screen. He isn't acting like someone who is at Michigan for the long haul.
He does pull some real unusual moves but that's him being him.Milk with a steak anyone?

Does anyone remember Mush Mouff defending Jimmy on Gameday in front of Old Main? His rationale was that UM was still recovering from "The Dark Years of Rich Rod and Brady Hoke". That was an amazing statement; especially considering the venue. He is such an ass-clown that I just feel sad for him. As for Jimmy, he has his PhD in "wearing out welcomes". It will be interesting to watch this develop...

The defense that held Penn State to how many points?

We were at home, we got up early, and their offense was putrid. If there offense could have put up some points, taken some time off the clock and changed field position, then it would have been a different game...

Agree HOWEVER...he is making $9 million a year , yes? More than Saban?

When you get paid that kind of money...whether its a Head Coach of a Team OR a CEO of a company...you better match it with the appropriate results.

Hairball's record as others have shared...is really no better than Brady Hoke's who made A LOT LESS $$$..

Reactions: BBrown
I have a real disdain for both O$U and scUM, like most of us do. When they play, I'll pull for the team that can cause the other the most pain...ie I was rooting for O$U last year. This year is interesting...I'm kinda torn. Do I cheer for scUM to keep O$U out of the Big Ten Championship game and knock them out of the CFP? Or, do I cheer for O$U keeping that idiot winless against O$U. I'm leaning towards cheering for scUM...

OSU is in the Championship game regardless of Saturdays outcome

I have a real disdain for both O$U and scUM, like most of us do. When they play, I'll pull for the team that can cause the other the most pain...ie I was rooting for O$U last year. This year is interesting...I'm kinda torn. Do I cheer for scUM to keep O$U out of the Big Ten Championship game and knock them out of the CFP? Or, do I cheer for O$U keeping that idiot winless against O$U. I'm leaning towards cheering for scUM...

I'm a Wisconsin fan this year !

So after Ohio State beats Michigan in the Big House. And Michigan goes 8-4 with losses to every good team in the Big Ten. People don't think the seat is going to get really hot for Jimmy in Michigan. He lost 3 out of the last 4 to finish up 2016 so that makes him 11-8 in the last 19 games. He hasn't beaten Ohio State yet. Lost twice to Michigan State. Got blown out by Penn State this year. And with the year he is having now and the negative press, most likely will be limping to the finish line for recruiting this year.

You start to hear the talking heads and announcers going after him a little bit now in a negative way. The whole sleepover and Quinn Nordin blow-up has been brought up on multiple occasions this year in a negative fashion. Now more articles. And after the loss to Ohio State, those articles are only going to more in quantity and harshness. And you think Jimmy reacts well to that.

We were at home, we got up early, and their offense was putrid. If there offense could have put up some points, taken some time off the clock and changed field position, then it would have been a different game...

I really hope this is TIC... This is just ridiculous. Why even play the games if you are going to twist around the outcome???

Reactions: BBrown and LionJim
I think the "problem" Harbaugh is going to have is his style of play. He is really an old school guy who needs a great defense, great run game and pure pocket passer. In the current college football world the only team that employs that attack and wins big is Alabama. Last year he has almost the perfect storm and still lost 3 games. He likely will lose 4-5 this year even with one of the best defenses in the game. And that gets to the point. The game has changed and you are not going to shut down the better offenses like PSU and OSU.
UM will have a nice team next year, very good defense, a nice QB in Peters, good stable of RB and good o-line. But they will lose 3-4 games just because some teams will be too explosive for them and someone, maybe MSU or IA, will beat them at their own game in a 17-14 type of game just as they lost this year to MSU, last year to IA and the year before to MSU.
The other thing is, in some respects Harbaugh has almost become a caricature of this goofy, quirky, odd dude. When they were dominating recruiting and beating people up on the field it may have been endearing to UM fans. But when you are not dominating you run the risk of just being a very weird individual and if that becomes the perception it may not end well for him.
Finally, I look at how Harbaugh was viewed by the NFL three years ago versus how he may be viewed today. I have a suspicion he has taken a step backwards.

Michigan if they have found their qb will be really good next year

Agree. If Peters comes back strong from injury and given the young talent on defense would not surprise me in the least if they win the East next season. Harbaugh did underachieve with the roster he had last year but losing a starting QB late in the season is never easy to overcome unless you are Ohio State. He did take OSU to overtime in Columbus last year so he is only a few wins from delivering on the promise. Will he finish his career at Michigan, my guess, no. But I expect him to stay long enough to deliver a Big Ten Championship.

I think the "problem" Harbaugh is going to have is his style of play. He is really an old school guy who needs a great defense, great run game and pure pocket passer. In the current college football world the only team that employs that attack and wins big is Alabama. Last year he has almost the perfect storm and still lost 3 games. He likely will lose 4-5 this year even with one of the best defenses in the game. And that gets to the point. The game has changed and you are not going to shut down the better offenses like PSU and OSU.
UM will have a nice team next year, very good defense, a nice QB in Peters, good stable of RB and good o-line. But they will lose 3-4 games just because some teams will be too explosive for them and someone, maybe MSU or IA, will beat them at their own game in a 17-14 type of game just as they lost this year to MSU, last year to IA and the year before to MSU.
The other thing is, in some respects Harbaugh has almost become a caricature of this goofy, quirky, odd dude. When they were dominating recruiting and beating people up on the field it may have been endearing to UM fans. But when you are not dominating you run the risk of just being a very weird individual and if that becomes the perception it may not end well for him.
Finally, I look at how Harbaugh was viewed by the NFL three years ago versus how he may be viewed today. I have a suspicion he has taken a step backwards.

Except Wisconsin plays that style as well and wins consistently. It will be interesting to see the OSU-Wisconsin match up in the conference title game. I understand your point however and do think that style is limiting except when you have the lead late and can just take the air out of the ball and kill the clock with run after successful run.

ADVERTISEMENT