ADVERTISEMENT

It starts with I love you and ends with I love you

Nittany18

Dec 28, 2013
Franklin stresses family. Not selling it, but making the team believe it. I'm telling you, being in the military, as aircrew, we are like family. A lot of trips and deployments together....but a brotherhood, Pilots to Loadmasters, officers to enlisted, we roll deep. We don't look for trouble, but no one is getting away with much...Franklin has this team rolling the same way. Watch those kids faces at the half on the Unrivaled video...those kids are hungry. To me, PSU wins big in the Rose

The tightest Penn State team I have ever seen. Ever. This team rolls with true brotherhood, from 1 to 99, and it's real.

Reactions: PSU77sh
You seeing 3 wins?.......or 4?
No doubt the squad is tight...but they gotta bring their A game against USC. USC hit their stride and is a very talented team. I would love to see the squad put together 4 whole quarters of good, solid football. We have been kicking people's butts with 2 to 2.5 good quarters.

Reactions: Bob78 and bytir
Franklin stresses family. Not selling it, but making the team believe it. I'm telling you, being in the military, as aircrew, we are like family. A lot of trips and deployments together....but a brotherhood, Pilots to Loadmasters, officers to enlisted, we roll deep. We don't look for trouble, but no one is getting away with much...Franklin has this team rolling the same way. Watch those kids faces at the half on the Unrivaled video...those kids are hungry. To me, PSU wins big in the Rose

Great chemistry and brotherhood on this team and coaches. I like that Franklin is not shy about stressing the love aspect of it all.

A common saying in management and leadership development is "They (your staff or your employees... or your players) don't care what you know, until they know that you care." That's how the great coaches win the hearts and minds of their teams - whether it was JVP, or Woody Hayes, or Bo, or Bear, and many coaches in other college sports.... when the ex-players talk about their love and admiration for their former coaches, they talk about how those coaches cared about them off the field, kept in touch with them forever after their playing days were over. The coaches knew about their families, their careers, etc. They welcomed them back to the program as alums. This is a big advantage over time for the longer tenures of successful coaches.

Franklin is building something that has the probability of consistent, long-term success. We will see some attrition in the assistant coaches ranks, more than we have been used to. I think that eventually will level off, too, and the frequency will diminish.
If Franklin stays long-term, as we (currently!) hope he does, say like 10 to 12 years minimum until he is in his mid-50s, the foundation will still be in place for the next coach to come in and have great success. And maybe that next coach will be someone already on the staff. If he stays longer, say about 20 years until he hits age 60, he is most likely then a lifer and the foundation will have even stronger roots. Generally, that projects for more success over that longer-term than frequent changes at the top.

Reactions: Nitt1300
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT