ADVERTISEMENT

"It is what it is"

This makes no sense.
Perhaps you’re viewing PSU football from a different perspective. I see a coaching staff that is adamant about getting SB “rushing yards” (a Heisman stat in which he is lagging) at the expense of having an offense that exploits what the opposing defense is sacrificing.

I’ve seen the same approach the past 4 weeks. It’s all about getting Barkley the Heisman. Unfortunately it cost us a game at East Lansing, and perhaps, Columbus.

Perhaps you’re viewing PSU football from a different perspective. I see a coaching staff that is adamant about getting SB “rushing yards” (a Heisman stat in which he is lagging) at the expense of having an offense that exploits what the opposing defense is sacrificing.

I’ve seen the same approach the past 4 weeks. It’s all about getting Barkley the Heisman. Unfortunately it cost us a game at East Lansing, and perhaps, Columbus.

I actually agree with this. The coaching staff stupidly thought they could engineer a Heisman campaign at the same time as a title run. It was obvious since Franklin's Iowa post-game comments. They should not have cared at all about the Heisman, as it would have been handed to Barkely for any reason, or no reason at all, if PSU had continued winning. No coaching staff should ever spend two seconds thinking about the Heisman.

What Franklin has done with this program since he's been here has been nothing short of a miracle.

Big 10 Championship followed by a likely 10 plus win season. We currently have the #2 recruiting class in the country and people are bitching about interview quotes? Really?

Especially when it's Millen bringing it up. I'd swear he roots against his alma mater. I graduated with him and I'm emabarrassed he's one of us. I'm sure there's more to that quote that he conveniently omitted.

Or watch their game against a good defense where they scored six points. Herb Hand was an embarrassment. Good riddance.

Auburn had about "260 yards" rushing against the #1 team in the country.

When will our OL accumulate "half that amount" with an OL coach who is supposed to be head/shoulders over Hand!

I actually agree with this. The coaching staff stupidly thought they could engineer a Heisman campaign at the same time as a title run. It was obvious since Franklin's Iowa post-game comments. They should not have cared at all about the Heisman, as it would have been handed to Barkely for any reason, or no reason at all, if PSU had continued winning. No coaching staff should ever spend two seconds thinking about the Heisman.

Alternatively, the coaching staff is doing everything possible to get the ball in the hands of the most talented running back in the country. That doesn't strike me as "stupid".

Reminds me of all the geniuses who said how "stupid" it was to have Barkley return kicks.

Auburn had about "260 yards" rushing against the #1 team in the country.

When will our OL accumulate "half that amount" with an OL coach who is supposed to be head/shoulders over Hand!

The game I was referring to was Clemson. They had 117 TOTAL yards and scored six points. Chef Hand should stick to cooking.

I’m not saying they’re great. I’m suggesting that their OL coach (Chef Herb) seems to be doing a more than a decent job.

I’m simply pointing out that the problem at PSU the last 3 years isn’t the players or the positional coach. It just might be the individual dictating the goofy-assed blocking scheme.

I’ll give you a hint: it’s not the Offensive Coordinator either. We’re now on OC #2 and nothing’s changed.

It’s Fraudklin.

You really are an ignorant idiot or you have serious mental problems.

Anyone have any more context about this Franklin quote they discussed during the game regarding the struggles Barkley has had on the ground?
It is what it is until I can replace limegrover in the off-season. Time to go to that coaches list he keeps

I heard on the radio, i think it was Steve Jones show but not sure. Anyway he said Alabama had lost 4 starting LB's this season so I am sure that is one reason they give up rush yards

Wait.... what? Adamant about getting Barkley rushing yards? Is that a serious statement

His number carries the last 4 games

That's hardly feeding it to Barkley

I'd say it's the exact opposite of that in fact

Last edited:
Reactions: mn78psu83
The game I was referring to was Clemson. They had 117 TOTAL yards and scored six points. Chef Hand should stick to cooking.

Fair enough, but they certainly look dominate now, very impressive against Georgia with that 265 yards or so rushing.

Another analogy: 2105 SB had 195 yards rushing against OSU. Hand was here then IIRC.

2016-2017 combined he hasn't had half that amount of yards against OSU years under???

Franklin should watch the Auburn game to see how an OL can dominate a game. They handled the Georgia DL with ease. Way to go Herb!
And for a good portion of the game Mississippi State's RPO chewed up the Bama defense. Linebacker depleted but still started 7 Under-Armour players.

Barkley had 14 carries vs MSU and 13 carries vs Rutgers - that is not force feeding a back. At least look at the facts before posting lies.

Barkley had 14 carries vs MSU and 13 carries vs Rutgers - that is not force feeding a back. At least look at the facts before posting lies.
When your Heisman-candidate back gets blown up for a loss of 6 yards on his first carry, and you continue to try to run him inside the Offensive Tackles for little or no gain (usually a loss), that not only defines insanity, it suggests that the coaching staff is desperately trying to get SB rushing yards. PSU's running game during the 1st offensive series was actually more effective with Sanders in the line-up running to the outside.

It didn't just happen yesterday. It happened repeatedly vs. MSU and OSU, especially during the 2nd half when PSU regularly (and unsuccessfully) ran SB up the middle on 1st down, putting the Offense in 2nd/3rd down and long.

I would be fine "force-feeding" Barkley the ball if it was comprised of short passes or pitches to the outside.

If this staff wasn't so bull-headed about getting Barkley rushing yards between the OT's, PSU could very well be 10-0 right now. That's what is so frustrating.

Last edited:
He has been on a roll lately. He was playing doctor for Moorhead earlier in the week. And he was so well-behaved for a time too. As far as that most serious accusation goes, I don't believe that is his motivation. He was certainly brutal to BOB and Butler too. His tirade after the fateful IU loss resulted in the loss of the ThyrstyPhyrsty handle. I don't think he'll ever recover from Joe no longer coaching though.
In his former life he bashed Joe too.

In his former life he bashed Joe too.
But for some strange reason, I kind of like you. :)

I guess it's our shared criticism of the offensive playcalling. Don't try to deny your frustration with Moorhead --- I've seen some of your posts.

Last edited:
What Franklin has done with this program since he's been here has been nothing short of a miracle.

Big 10 Championship followed by a likely 10 plus win season. We currently have the #2 recruiting class in the country and people are bitching about interview quotes? Really?
So true we have come a long way in a short time. Too many were talking national championship when we hadn’t played the tough stretch in our schedule. Be happy where we are and hope we keep Improving. The coaching and recruiting has been good. No team in the B10 will win the championship, talent is not equal to SEC and top ACC yet. Reference 31-0 last year to you know who.

I think it's more about trying to get A running game going period. You have one of the best backs in the country but can't run the ball. If they were sacrificing the game for Barkley the team would be losing right now. What you have is a talent willing to do whatever is asked to get points and right now that is as a decoy unfortunately. That does not sound like a coaching staff sacrificing the team, it sounds like the team needing to sacrifice Barkley for the win. They have to try to run the ball every game at least a little bit until it works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT