Event:
Mid-Distance/XC
Experience: JR
Major: Division of Undergraduate Studies

======

HARRIS NAMED TRACK ATHLETE OF THE B1G CHAMPIONSHIPS

May 15, 2018

Big Ten Release

ROSEMONT, Ill. - Isaiah Harris (Lewiston, Maine) has been tabbed the Big Ten Men's Track Athlete of the Championships, as announced by the conference office on Tuesday.

Harris receives the award after winning the men's 800-meter run with a meet, and facility, record time of 1:45.31 at the Big Ten Outdoor Track & Field Championships Sunday, May 13, at the Robert C. Haugh Track & Field Complex.

With his honor, Harris is one of three Nittany Lions on the men's side to garner Big Ten Athlete of the Championships plaudits (Darrell Hill - 2014 & Malik Moffett - 2017), and

he is the first Nittany Lion to receive Big Ten Men's Track Athlete of the Championships honors.

With his title on Sunday, Harris has been a part of the Penn State men's track program that has won eight 800-meter run titles in the past 10 years (2009-12, 15-18). Casimir Loxsom held the previous Big Ten Outdoor Championships 800-meter run record when he took first in 2012 with a time of 1:46.12.

As a Nittany Lion, Harris has won six of six men's 800-meter run titles between the Big Ten Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field Championships.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/c-track/spec-rel/051518aac.html

Last edited:
Running a sub 1:45 min. 800 meters race is beyond my imagination. My son ran under 2 mins. and that was quite a feat for him but chopping another roughly 12 seconds of his time is unimaginable in my mind. I used to run the 440 and wasn't very good but at the Olympics men run in under 44 seconds, amazing too. These young men devote such a difficult regimen to improve their times by fractions of a second it is remarkable. Sorry to go on but as a former runner and an admirer of them this strikes me as a monumental event. Great effort Isiah, keep it up.

Running a sub 1:45 min. 800 meters race is beyond my imagination. My son ran under 2 mins. and that was quite a feat for him but chopping another roughly 12 seconds of his time is unimaginable in my mind. I used to run the 440 and wasn't very good but at the Olympics men run in under 44 seconds, amazing too. These young men devote such a difficult regimen to improve their times by fractions of a second it is remarkable. Sorry to go on but as a former runner and an admirer of them this strikes me as a monumental event. Great effort Isiah, keep it up.
Sub 1:45 in pretty poor conditions running against the collegiate record holder. Really a great performance.

Hey Carl, see my post above and provide your thoughts sir. {misty conditions}

Thank you in advance.

Hey Carl, see my post above and provide your thoughts sir. {misty conditions}

Thank you in advance.

Not really true. The biggest hurdle is wind, nothing is worse than that. Cooler conditions are preferable for marathons and the like but for most track races, you want your muscles to be loose so that I generalk6 preferred heat to cold for races. Give me heat and no wind, made warmups easy and made your muscles loose.

As a former middle distance guy, I gotta tell you folks, this Harris Champion was smokin"!!! That time in the rain is unreal...at my very best, he had me by at least 10meters...LOL!!! Nothing like that world class track to run on...Thank you Isaiah!!! WE ARE...………….PENN STATE!!! 800U!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Not really true. The biggest hurdle is wind, nothing is worse than that. Cooler conditions are preferable for marathons and the like but for most track races, you want your muscles to be loose so that I generalk6 preferred heat to cold for races. Give me heat and no wind, made warmups easy and made your muscles loose.
^^This^^

Harris had been he best American 800 runner in college the last couple of years but UTEP has brought in Kenyan ‘ringers’ each year in Korir and Saruni. Donovan Brazier also was a fast American, but he went pro after his freshman year. Harris outplaced him at last year’s world championships, made the team for London, which was his most impressive feat until this. Really deserved to get this win, he’s at his best in championships.

Also, slightly makes up for Loxsom losing his best shot at a title (lost to an Oregon guy, at Oregon, cause every T&F championship is required by law to be at Oregon)

Last edited:

Carl?? ;););)

Actually you are assuming that there is 'wind'. A light rain or mist doesn't necessarily mean wind is present and even if it is, a light wind of 2-3 mph IMO would not be that much of a hindrance.

Carl?? ;););)

Actually you are assuming that there is 'wind'. A light rain or mist doesn't necessarily mean wind is present and even if it is, a light wind of 2-3 mph IMO would not be that much of a hindrance.

Whatever, ignore it then.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Running an 800 or 400 doesn't really allow you to overheat as a major factor unless its in the high 80's or 90's. A light rain, very light shouldn't make any real difference in these shorter races either in my less than expert mind. If you got the juice and can bring it, it shows up in championships as Isiah's run showed.

In a deluge it certainly would make a difference as it does in any sport. Since you don't depend on holding a ball in running (other than relay races, my specialty, the 4x4) there is no track liability associated with rain that other sports share.

I see his times are right around Olympic qualifying times. Does anyone think he has Olympic potential?

I see his times are right around Olympic qualifying times. Does anyone think he has Olympic potential?
Well, yes, he definitely can make the team; winning a medal will be a challenge. He'll need to knock another 2-3 seconds off to be in medal contention, but he's got 2 years to train and compete against the best.

He has already run in the World Championships. so he very much has already proven that he can compete at the highest level. He has run a 1:44. already. The guy is a stud. PSU has had some really good 800 guys, most recently Cas Loxsom but Harris has more potential than any of them. Really strong and can run a 46. 400 so he has speed. His performance as the anchor leg on the Penn Relays spring medley relay this year was incredible. One of the best legs ever run at Penns.

Reactions: The Shelter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT