ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting BREAKING: Georgia Transfer DB AJ Harris commits to Penn State

Below is the academic calendar that PSU publishes.
Is this "old" news? Was he committed before but had to have his academic eligibility confirmed?

It was reported that AJ Harris was in the student directory a few days ago. Anybody know why? Was it something to adhere to the calendar below while final details were sorted out to confirm that he wanted to/could attend PSU?

• Registration - Deadline

Sunday, January 7
  • Classes Begin​

Monday, January 8
  • Regular Drop - Deadline 1​

Saturday, January 13 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)
  • Regular Add - Deadline 1​

Sunday, January 14 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

I don’t understand. Over the last few months I heard around here that Franklin encourages all of his players to go to the NFL, and he also sucks at the portal. We had a decent number of players stay who could’ve gone, and we’ve done OK in the portal certainly.

Below is the academic calendar that PSU publishes.
Is this "old" news? Was he committed before but had to have his academic eligibility confirmed?

It was reported that AJ Harris was in the student directory a few days ago. Anybody know why? Was it something to adhere to the calendar below while final details were sorted out to confirm that he wanted to/could attend PSU?

• Registration - Deadline

Sunday, January 7
  • Classes Begin​

Monday, January 8
  • Regular Drop - Deadline 1​

Saturday, January 13 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)
  • Regular Add - Deadline 1​

Sunday, January 14 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

They'll get people into the system early in order to cut down on red tape. Technically the "Late Add" deadline is April 5 and we know strings get pulled all the time for the right athletes.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don’t understand. Over the last few months I heard around here that Franklin encourages all of his players to go to the NFL, and he also sucks at the portal. We had a decent number of players stay who could’ve gone, and we’ve done OK in the portal certainly.

Generally 3 trains of thought on this board. Some people fall in between, but here is the 3 gists of it:

1. Franklin sucks and can do no right
2. Franklin is great and essentially beyond reproach
3. Franklin is good, but underachieving for a/b/c/x/y/z reason

Well don’t expect any of those fools to apologize. My “favorite” was the clown who posted the day after the portal opened that Franklin blew it.

Reactions: dswartz
Well don’t expect any of those fools to apologize. My “favorite” was the clown who posted the day after the portal opened that Franklin blew it.
I am of the opinion that we will do just fine next season. We’re well prepared for the next era of this conference with the West Coast heavy hitters joining.

Generally 3 trains of thought on this board. Some people fall in between, but here is the 3 gists of it:

1. Franklin sucks and can do no right
2. Franklin is great and essentially beyond reproach
3. Franklin is good, but underachieving for a/b/c/x/y/z reason
I sit somewhere between 2 and 3. I think he was just what the doctor ordered coming out of Sandusky as an impeccable representative of the University. His recruiting has been excellent, more than what could’ve been reasonably hoped for post–Sandusky. He has made us respectable again, and 95%+ of college football wishes they are in the position we are in. 10 years ago, I would not be able to envision where we are today. On the other hand, he also has blown some games, like USC several years ago and OSU on multiple occasions, and his record against the big two obviously sucks. And only now is he putting together lines that are more respectable. But overall I don’t think there are more than a handful of coaches out there that can exceed his performance here.

I sit somewhere between 2 and 3. I think he was just what the doctor ordered coming out of Sandusky as an impeccable representative of the University. His recruiting has been excellent, more than what could’ve been reasonably hoped for post–Sandusky. He has made us respectable again, and 95%+ of college football wishes they are in the position we are in. 10 years ago, I would not be able to envision where we are today. On the other hand, he also has blown some games, like USC several years ago and OSU on multiple occasions, and his record against the big two obviously sucks. And only now is he putting together lines that are more respectable. But overall I don’t think there are more than a handful of coaches out there that can exceed his performance here.
Very well said and I’m pretty much with you on all points. He’s been fantastic for this program, is a wonderful recruiter, a strong advocate with Administration for increasing support for the program and I believe he does genuinely care about the kids. He’s someone to whom I would readily entrust my son.

My concerns remain with some poor in-game decisions and while I’ve seen some improvement there, he still has work to do.

Very well said and I’m pretty much with you on all points. He’s been fantastic for this program, is a wonderful recruiter, a strong advocate with Administration for increasing support for the program and I believe he does genuinely care about the kids. He’s someone to whom I would readily entrust my son.

My concerns remain with some poor in-game decisions and while I’ve seen some improvement there, he still has work to do.

I’m genuinely curious as to what improvements you have seen regarding In game coaching/decisions

I like Franklin. I think he’s a very good head of a program. I’m actually of the mind set that his recruiting is a bit overrated while his player development is a bit underrated. While I think we could do better , we could absolutely do worse.

But I still think his in game decision making would be graded a D at best

Reactions: MacNit2.0
I’m genuinely curious as to what improvements you have seen regarding In game coaching/decisions

I like Franklin. I think he’s a very good head of a program. I’m actually of the mind set that his recruiting is a bit overrated while his player development is a bit underrated. While I think we could do better , we could absolutely do worse.

I think he’s improved in his clock management, which was atrocious in the beginning. I also think he has made slight improvement in 4th down decisions in that he’s less likely to go for it on 4th and 1.5 on our own 31 yard line against a good opponent.

Where he still struggles, IMO, is making horrendous 2 point conversion choices and, this is a guess, his influence on offensive play calling remains a negative overall.

All in all, I still think many on this board do not appreciate how good he really has been overall and there are MANY fanbases who’d kill to be in the position our program currently stands.

Reactions: indynittany
I am of the opinion that we will do just fine next season. We’re well prepared for the next era of this conference with the West Coast heavy hitters joining.
It's early to say for sure, but I think PSU dodged the toughest West Coast opponent in Oregon.

Washington had a ton of 5th/6th year players who won't be around and their 2024 recruiting class is ranked #46; they could be looking at a significant drop. Plus they have to play at PSU.

Oregon has more upside and a 2024 recruiting class ranked 6th.

Reactions: dswartz
I think he’s improved in his clock management, which was atrocious in the beginning. I also think he has made slight improvement in 4th down decisions in that he’s less likely to go for it on 4th and 1.5 on our own 31 yard line against a good opponent.

Where he still struggles, IMO, is making horrendous 2 point conversion choices and, this is a guess, his influence on offensive play calling remains a negative overall.

All in all, I still think many on this board do not appreciate how good he really has been overall and there are MANY fanbases who’d kill to be in the position our program currently stands.
Agree with most of your comment but IMHO his decision to go for it on 4th down in his own territory once against OSU and once against Michigan this season in a one score game and the best defense in the country substantially reduced are ability to come back and potentially win those games. For the Lions in 2023 no bigger moments to fail.

Yes, but the caveat regarding other fan bases is that some of the many who would like to be in the position that our programs stands in have coaches that are talented enough that if they were at PSU would also have PSU football in the same position due to all the advantages the PSU coach has over those other programs - largest alumi base on the planet earth, most loyal fans, 2nd largest football stadium (by capacity, as it's actually the largest....) on planet earth, best student section as voted on yearly, top flight practice facilities (yes, that Franklin did champion for), one of the top programs in cash generation, .....

But I also like that Franklin seems to have brought a decent level of consistency to the PSU program. Not like programs such as TAM who have similarly great resources and fans but seem to go for broke year after year with some of their "strategies" seemingly backfiring at times.

AK

substantially reduced are ability to come back and potentially win those games

Are you saying you would have been happier punting on the 4th down attempts and hoping for a turnover?

Against Michigan, I might agree. We had moved the ball some vs them, just not consistently enough.

Vs OSU, I don't think it matters because we did nothing vs them that day until the very end when they changed defenses to the prevent.

Either way, we just didn't have the offensive firepower to make something happen and it's futile whether you punt and play defense (particularly vs a team who ran 32 straight times) or for broke on a 4th down eventually.

Reactions: royboy
Are you saying you would have been happier punting on the 4th down attempts and hoping for a turnover?

Against Michigan, I might agree. We had moved the ball some vs them, just not consistently enough.

Vs OSU, I don't think it matters because we did nothing vs them that day until the very end when they changed defenses to the prevent.

Either way, we just didn't have the offensive firepower to make something happen and it's futile whether you punt and play defense (particularly vs a team who ran 32 straight times) or for broke on a 4th down eventually.
Recognizing we were not generating much on offensive particularly against OSU, yes I would have try to play the field position game down one score, with enough time to force a three and out or get a turnover, especially since we had 3 timeouts in hand. Would it have worked? Maybe not but handing the ball to two physical teams in plus territory with a tiring defense is asking for trouble and in both situations the opponent scored and put the game out of reach. Hindsight is 20/20 I get that but given how things were unfolding those games I would have tried to get my defense to make a big play with OSU and Michigan pinned back down one score. We still might lose - both of those teams were better than us this year no doubt - but in those specific spots Franklin looked desperate and that is the wrong message to send to your squad.

There are three spring semesters now. The regular 15 week semester and the first 7 week semester started classes this week. A second 7 week semester has classes starting March 10. Much easier to juggle things around with classes that start March 10th.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT