ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa losing control in Nebraska game = coaching

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
interesting how a coaching mistake can turn a game. Iowa up 28-13 and kicking short FG. instead of taking lead to 31-13, they fake FG and fail. theory is that they will keep Nebraska down and make them punt. however, Nebraska escapes and fakes punt along with PF penalty and are now near midfield. take the points and spreading the lead keeps Nebraska emotion out of the game.

interesting how a coaching mistake can turn a game. Iowa up 28-13 and kicking short FG. instead of taking lead to 31-13, they fake FG and fail. theory is that they will keep Nebraska down and make them punt. however, Nebraska escapes and fakes punt along with PF penalty and are now near midfield. take the points and spreading the lead keeps Nebraska emotion out of the game.

If Nebraska scores here the Iowa board meltdown may begin. They will be after Ferentz and son (again) to leave town.

This is why we better be ready tomorrow. Nebr scared Iowa and even lowly Kansas hasn’t quit yet.

Nebraska's offense has come along very well, more so than I thought they would. Their defense...well, it's still a work in progress, to be kind. Be interesting to see what kind of team they are next year.

Reactions: BBrown
It's a lot easier to build a team up for a run every 4-5 years when you have job security. Ferentz is a good coach. Gets a lot out of barely recruited kids. He's not going to be remembered very fondly outside of Iowa nor State College.

Nebraska may be the most improved team from game 1 to today. Frost has those guys playing hard. I suspect they will own the Big west division for years to come.
+100
IMO it would be a tough choice between Fitzgerald and Scott for coach of the year in the B1G.

Nebraska may be the most improved team from game 1 to today. Frost has those guys playing hard. I suspect they will own the Big west division for years to come.
Nah their season makes perfect sense if you just note their qb. They actually dominated Colorado despite losing. Then the QB got injured and the backup was some walkon WR. It didn't go well but the team as a whole outside QB was never especially bad.

Pat Fitzgerald has had 13 years to develop NW into a mediocre program.
Frost has only had 10 months.

Seriously though, my vote would go to Frost...... although I would also think Canada and Brohm (especially if either of them can finish out with a “bowl eligibility” win) could merit some consideration.

True but Fitz did have some season ending injuries to a couple of good players and he had to get Thorson back up to snuff.
I’ve just been really impressed with what Frost has done offensively. But he did have a really good RB in Odigbo (sp) and an excellent WR.

Ferentz longest tenured head coach with same school in FBS?

I heard them say he's Iowa's winningest coach and one of 5 coaches with 150 wins as a Big 10 coach along with Woody and our own JoePa!

Reactions: mn78psu83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT