ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Fans, GITT and tell me how you beat us

Iowa fan here. Much of what I was going to say has already been said. Night game at Kinnick should make it closer than it would be anywhere else. I think if Iowa comes out fast and gets a stop or 2 and the offense can gets points on the board it will be a great game for 4 quarters. If PSU breaks a big play in the first series or 2 and holds Iowa it is going to be an extremely long evening.

In the end, I think it is close midway through the 3rd quarter and then PSU pulls away, wins by 17-20 in a game that is closer than what the scoreboard indicates. I hope I am wrong and Iowa wins a 14-10 game. PSU can win big or close, Iowa can only win a low scoring slugfest.

If Iowa can win time of possession AND be on the plus side of the turnover count I think they could have a shot.

PSU has proven they can lose time of possession and still win handily, but if Iowa gets some cheap points and/or a short field that could easily tip the scales in their favor.

Crap teams have gashed us for significant yardage between the 20's. We can beat our chests as we point to the scoreboards, but this fact remains. Better teams will be able to extend that success into the red zone. If our front seven can't do a better job containing the run, this will be tougher contest than many are anticipating.

My uneducated opinion is that Barkley is not going to beat anybody this year. he may have 1 or even 2 spectacular plays in a game. Where he helps is that everybody sells out to be contain him until they get punched in the mouth with a Hamilton or a Johnson or a Gesicki bomb. Then they forget about about Barkley until Trace hits him with a swing pass out of the backfield and the plan flip flops. Balance and too many weapons to contain.

You're right that Barkley makes everybody else on the team better. But Barkley beats people with his own play too. Pitt to take the latest example -- the long TD pass which was called because Barkley suggested it to Moorhead; the 9 yard TD run up the middle that almost no other back could make.

Sometimes he does something so remarkable -- like the little pass on Saturday -- that everybody on the field is just stunned. The only other player I can remember who could do that is Bobby Engram. In 1994 against Ohio State the turning point in the game was in the first half when Penn State was ahead but the game was still relatively close. At one point Collins threw behind Engram and he made an absolutely incredible catch, and you could see the Ohio State players just shaking their heads like -- there's no way to stop that guy. Plays like Engram could make or Barkley can make can have a big psychological impact.

You're right that Barkley makes everybody else on the team better. But Barkley beats people with his own play too. Pitt to take the latest example -- the long TD pass which was called because Barkley suggested it to Moorhead; the 9 yard TD run up the middle that almost no other back could make.

Sometimes he does something so remarkable -- like the little pass on Saturday -- that everybody on the field is just stunned. The only other player I can remember who could do that is Bobby Engram. In 1994 against Ohio State the turning point in the game was in the first half when Penn State was ahead but the game was still relatively close. At one point Collins threw behind Engram and he made an absolutely incredible catch, and you could see the Ohio State players just shaking their heads like -- there's no way to stop that guy. Plays like Engram could make or Barkley can make can have a big psychological impact.

Allen Robinson was able to do it too. I remember being at the Indiana game when Hackenberg fired one of his patented, screen pass bullets toward Robinson that should have landed in row Z. Not only did he catch it, but he turned up field and ran through the whole Indiana secondary for a 60+ yard touchdown. And there was no one on that team as remotely good as Robinson to attract the attention of the defense.

Iowa will be able to move the ball against a mediorce Penn State defense, but I doubt this will be a shootout. If I had a gun to my head I'd guess something like 27-24ish.
Untested? Okay.
Green? Sure.
Not meeting potential? I guess.
Mediocre? Nope.

I don't see this game being a 17-14 type affair. Too many offensive weapons...for both teams actually.

Iowa can win this game if a few things come together.

Iowa's defensive line needs to play strong and disciplined in the trenches, keep the LB's clean, and collapse the pocket just enough to keep McSorley uncomfortable. They likely will not get many sacks, but that is not what they are really supposed to be doing unless there is just a total breakdown on the PSU O-line. They also need to try to get their hands in the passing lanes, especially with McSorley running that RPO there will be opportunities to deflect some throws. Tackling throughout every level of the defense needs to be on point. If Iowa is doing it right, PSU fans will be pulling their hair out watching the high-powered PSU offense sort of stuck in neutral for much of the night...moving the ball, but having promising drives sputter out, and having trouble putting the ball into the endzone, having to settle for too many field goals after PSU has moved into the redzone. PSU is almost certainly going to do some scoring...but if Iowa is on their game, everything is going to be really hard and PSU is going to have to earn everything...no cheap points on quick hits.

Iowa's offense needs to continue doing what they have been doing and keep getting better. Iowa's offensive line has been going through a lot of juggling due to injuries, but things may be settling down now a bit. Unlike past years, Iowa can actually hit teams over the top, so they cannot just load up the box with impunity. Also Iowa's TE's are really, really good and the middle of the field is an area we are exploiting again. Add to that really good possession receivers in Vandeberg and Easely who run great out patterns and quick screens to the edges, and teams are having to really, honestly defend the entire field. Wadley is a different type of runner than SB, but both are the same in that you can bottle them up again and again, but chances are that eventually, they are going to break one on you. Both can be pretty lethal receiving out of the backfield or the slot. If Iowa's O-line can protect, Stanley has shown the ability to carve teams up with his arm and he is getting better every week. He started out rough in week one going 0-4 with an INT (that was off a deflection and a really athletic pick by the DB)...since then he is 51-79 for 655 yards with 10 TD's and 0 INTs.

Special teams will be an interesting matchup. Iowa has looked very strong in Punt and Kick coverage units, although our punter himself has been a little bit middling. Return units have looked strong as well. And our kicker has been a real good story, supplanting the starter coming into the year and looking really good thus far with a big leg that has been very accurate. He has yet to make a clutch kick with the game on the line, but he has the leg to try from 50+ out and feel pretty good about getting it.

IF Iowa is going to win this game, I see it being a 38-30 kind of game where PSU makes a late charge, but falls short.

Of course, things could easily go an entirely different direction if the defensive line plays poorly, Iowa doesn't tackle well, and the offensive line can't protect Stanley.

Very good post. I like the Iowa defensive scheme against the PSU offense. Moorhead's offense is built to feast on aggressive, constantly blitzing Ds, and Iowa is the opposite of that. Moorhead carved them up last October but this could be very different as their players are look at this offense for the second time. On the other hand, PSU is loaded at every offensive position this year and the unit has lots of experience in big games. If they begin the game sharp like last year....

The clock-eating drives are definitely an important thing for Iowa. If Pittsburgh could put together 15 play drives against PSU, Iowa can. But the PSU defense is disruptive and really turnover hungry this year so that's a new dimension. They will give yards but then make great plays for TFLs. The D is probably best in known passing situations -- very good group of pass rushers, the best of whom is probably Shareef Miller. They haven't been easy to score on.

Iowa fan here. Everyone is focusing on the PSU O vs. Iowa D spoltight match-up and whether or not Iowa can slow the Lions enough to give the Hawkeyes a chance to win. So I will direct your attention to the other side of this ball game (Iowa O vs PSU D) because it is in that matchup that you will find (a) a big part of the question posed by the featured match-up and (b) the only correct answer to the thread challenge (how to beat us?) which is, of course, to score more points;).

But first, on the Iowa board this week I have tried to emphasize that open field tackling will likely be a biggest key for the Iowa defense. PSU is/has been a big play offense. If Iowa is poor at tackling this week, I don't see much hope. I'm counting on the D to wrap up the big play guys and hold them to mostly 4,5,6 yard gains instead of 30-40 yard gains. Saqoun and McSorely will break off a couple longer ones ... that's expected, but they must be limited.

On offense: the basic formula IMO for Iowa is power running mixed with PA passes resulting in 10,11,12 play clock-eating drives. Longer drives = more TOP = fewer PSU possessions = fewer PSU opportunities to score. Expecting a 60/40 run/pass ratio.

Iowa O vs. PSU D. No shocker, Iowa will look to set the tone in the trenches. Wadley runs spelled by Kelly-Martiin and/or Young. Look for more TE passes this year. Easley and VandeBerg are possession WRs - expect them to be targeted (Easley has been a favorite target so far).

.....the big question: can Iowa QB Nate Stanley rise to the occasion in his 4th start, first B10 game, national TV? So far, he has performed mostly well. 10TDs,1INT. Good decision making, decent completion percentage, clutch throws. The missing component so far is his accuracy on deep throws - if he has calibrated that this week watch out! Stanley has overthrown at least 4 wide-open receivers down field through 3 games. He could have been entering this contest with 14TDs thru 3 games. He's got an arm.

Of course, TOs and injuries always play a part in the outcome but there you have it. Iowa D tackles well and limits State to a few longer gains, bends to allow more FGs than TDs while Iowa O uses long drives to run clock. Wadley scores on sidewinder and Stanley throws a couple red zone TDs. throw in a FG and Iowa wins 27-23.

I keep hearing about all these ranked teams that Iowa has beaten at home. Have any of them been spread teams? I just don't think Iowa has the athletes to defend a good spread offense.

You mean like the "Spread HD"?:p

Honestly, there aren't many spread teams in the top 5 we'll ever play against. I'm guessing this game will be one of a few.

Iowa can win if:

We run the ball effectively
Get a decent pass rush with our front 4
Get a random turnover or 2.

Not sure Iowa will beat PSU Saturday. If they do, I see a 27-26 type game.

PSU averages 26 points in Iowa City in this series.

QB - young, but CJ Beathard wasn't good in B1G play last year. #4 Nate Stanley equaled Beathard's first 3 game numbers basically. Beathard played well in OOC. Stanley can make throws. Only a sophomore, true at that ...

RB - Iowa is 59th rushing, so not playing well enough here. If run game gets sorted out, Iowa. They appear to go three deep and #21 Ivory Kelly-Martin is only true freshman and KF is high on him. He replaced Akrum Wadley on KRs.

WR - they have three that stood out vs. Iowa State. Stanley has thrown 10 TDs (only 1 INT that came on his 0-4 start). Fifth year senior #89 Matt VandeBerg was injured last year and missed PSU game. #84 Nick Easley has become Stanley's favorite.

TE - Iowa has thrown to 3 and top 2 have TDs this season. Young, but should be good. Iowa is better at TE this year. This is area new OC Brian Ferentz has helped Stanley and Iowa offense.

OL - work in progress. Pass blocking has improved, but run game has been inconsistent at times. Iowa has two freshmen, one true, that look to be Iowa's future at OT. C #78 James Daniels missed two games last OOC and missed opener. He anchors OL, along with senior #79 G/T Sean Welsh.

#25 Akrum Wadley is #2 behind Barkley as a spark in the passing game per PFF. His running lead Iowa's upset over Michigan last year.

Iowa rebounds from last year's ugly loss. It will start on defense.

Penn State rolled vs. Akron. Iowa State won at Akron.

Would Akron or Georgia State give Pitt a game this year? Youngstown State took them into OT.

Iowa's secondary may have some playmakers. Junior CB #15 Josh Jackson has been very good. DC Phil Parker has coached at Iowa for 19 years and he still coaches DBs.

Iowa is using 8 DL vs. 6 last year. DT Jaleel Johnson, like 3 other former Iowa players are now enjoying Sunday in the NFL. However, did anyone play well on defense last year for Iowa in Happy Valley?

Iowa returned 6 of 7 starters in Front 7, with #99 DT Nate Bazata back from injury last year. #43 Josey Jewell has not been 100%. He will be a player to watch.

New FS sophomore Amani Hooker will give Iowa a boost in secondary. He played special teams as true last season. Iowa likely will use nickel and dime more in 2017 B1G. Historically, Iowa plays 4-3.

Akrum Wadley is 100%, despite not playing in much of North Texas game. He has looked very good as receiver at RB.
KF said he is a go.

Special teams haven't been a negative. They blocked first FG last week (CB Jackson). Jackson is now PR. Kelly-Martin is now KR, though Iowa has Wadley and VandeBerg, as options.

Iowa needs to match PSU in enough areas. Tall order. Opportunity knocks!

Can Iowa keep it a one possession game and pull another one out?

Last win was 24-3 in series. That would be highly unexpected.

Iowa should cover.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT