ADVERTISEMENT

InterMat Top 25 Freshmen

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
rankings have been released. To see the entire list you must be an InterMat subscriber. The article accompanying the rankings (CLICK HERE) does list the top 5 in the rankings. They are:

1. Beau Bartlett (Wyoming Seminary, Pa.)
2. Josh Saunders (Missouri)
3. Sam Hillegas (Pennsylvania)
4. Jesse Vasquez (St. John Bosco, Calif.)
5. Braxton Amos (West Virginia)

The article also indicates that "Bartlett is one of five Pennsylvania wrestlers in the initial top 25 for the Class of 2020. Joining him are six-time PJW state champion Sam Hillegas; PJW junior high state champion Andrew Cerniglia (Nazareth), who was undefeated at the Virginia Challenge; Gerrit Nijenhuis (Canon-McMillan), a Tulsa Nationals and Super 32 Challenge middle school division champion; and PJW junior high state champion Gaige Garcia (Southern Columbia)."

Bartlett is next level. Would love to see him in Blue & White some day.

Agree on both points. First time I saw him wrestle 1 or 2 years ago, it was clear he was on a different level than his age-group competitors. Sometimes kids like this come back to the pack, so to speak, but most of the time they stay several steps ahead of everyone.

Tigs, I thought your daughter was a little older. Her mission, should she choose to accept it, is to become our source on his college interests, plans, etc. ;)

Agree on both points. First time I saw him wrestle 1 or 2 years ago, it was clear he was on a different level than his age-group competitors. Sometimes kids like this come back to the pack, so to speak, but most of the time they stay several steps ahead of everyone.

Tigs, I thought your daughter was a little older. Her mission, should she choose to accept it, is to become our source on his college interests, plans, etc. ;)

Send her to Spyker's class entitled "What You Need too KNOW TOO BE A GREAT RECRUITER!!!!!"

Send her to Spyker's class entitled "What You Need too KNOW TOO BE A GREAT RECRUITER!!!!!"

I have been saying for a long time...TIGER'S DAUGHTER MUST KEEP A FULL COURT PRESS ON BARTLETT...HE IS A MUST GET....IMO....BEEN SAING MY PRAYERS HE COMES TO PSU...HE WOULD HAVE NO REGRETS AND BE ABLE TO REACH ALL HIS GOALS PLUS BECOME A GREAT YOUNG MAN OFF THE MAT AS WELL !!!!

I have been saying for a long time...TIGER'S DAUGHTER MUST KEEP A FULL COURT PRESS ON BARTLETT...HE IS A MUST GET....IMO....BEEN SAING MY PRAYERS HE COMES TO PSU...HE WOULD HAVE NO REGRETS AND BE ABLE TO REACH ALL HIS GOALS PLUS BECOME A GREAT YOUNG MAN OFF THE MAT AS WELL !!!!
Plus he might be able to get tiger free tickets!

I have an older daughter also, she's going to be a senior at Sem this year. She doesn't hang with the wrestlers, she's an academic type and said they tick her off because some of them screw around during class. She does think coach Green is an excellent teacher though. I suspect the younger one will be a bit more hip, lol. Definitely more your typical teenager attitude. Already battles with my wife more then the older one ever did.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
Fun story about Mr. Bartlett.

I coach a FS/GR club in MN. We're driving to Kids Nationals with 1 kid (sidebar: heading there, again, on Weds.). The kid and I are pretty tight. I babysat him back in the day. He knows what to say and not to say. I'm a firm believer of showing up to the mat and wrestling whoever is in front of you. If you choose to check brackets, it's on you, but I'm not about to look. I don't care, frankly. We weigh in, grab a bite, and head back to the hotel.

On our drive there, the kid says, "The only kid I know in my bracket is Beau Bartlett. He's really good from PA." Being a coach, I'm like, "Yeah? Well has he ever wrestled you?"

Fast back forward to the hotel, post-weigh-ins. He checks his brackets, against my wishes.
Kid" Guess who I drew first round...
Me: Who?
Kid: Beau Bartlett...
Me: Don't be a $&%*ing $&@*@ about it... We didn't come here to lay down...

Beau teched him 10-0 in the first... 4 arm throws & a gut...

Post-Match-
Kid: I told you he was good.
Me: Any kid is going to tech you if you push with an underhook in Greco and hand him 4 under-arm spins on a silver $&%*ing platter.

He teched him in FS the next day, and tech'd through both tournaments.

The kid is good. I tried to play it cool for my wrestler, but there wasn't much I could play cool about.

I've seen all the PA boys wrestle at one time or another and it's a very nice group of boys in this class representing our state. Bartlett is well deserving of the one spot but imo Hillegas is 1a Hard to tell at this stage what they will do in the future but I'm leaning Sammy as best of the bunch. Yes.... against popular opinion....I know.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT