ADVERTISEMENT

I was among the most vocal criticizers of the coaching staff last week, so I must give credit to...

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
the coaches for changes made this week. Yes, this was a much weaker Buffalo team, but the changes made on the Offense were very noticeable. We gave our OT;s support by bringing TE's in for additional blocking support. We changed players on the line. We had Hack get rid of the ball much quicker, and had him run out of harms way. Even with all this changes, the Offense sputtered in the first half. It really wasn't until Barkley was given the ball in the second half that we all saw a different offense emerge! Having an elite RB can certainly make everyone look better. Now let's see how we do against stronger teams. I do take my hat off to CJF, Donovan and Hand for truly trying to make proper changes and hope they continue where needed.

Reactions: PSUSignore
the coaches for changes made this week. Yes, this was a much weaker Buffalo team, but the changes made on the Offense were very noticeable. We gave our OT;s support by bringing TE's in for additional blocking support. We changed players on the line. We had Hack get rid of the ball much quicker, and had him run out of harms way. Even with all this changes, the Offense sputtered in the first half. It really wasn't until Barkley was given the ball in the second half that we all saw a different offense emerge! Having an elite RB can certainly make everyone look better. Now let's see how we do against stronger teams. I do take my hat off to CJF, Donovan and Hand for truly trying to make proper changes and hope they continue where needed.
We also used the TE's more in the passing game. One of them should have had two TD catches.

We also used the TE's more in the passing game. One of them should have had two TD catches.

not making excuses for anyone, but inre the first half you really have to take into account how the unrelenting rain played a part in affecting the offensive play calling. Gesicki did drop 2 gimmes, gotta work on his hands, but a lot of guys were losing their footing, and the ball was unbelievable wet and tough to throw

Reactions: jroman1
Agree, they made changes to help the OL and Hack and the changes were productive. This is what they need to do regularly, adjust to what the other D is doing. Shame they waited a week, these kids could have been 2-0. I hope CJF holds the O coaches toes to the fire.

Ok, I turned the game off and went golfing. Now I read about Barkley. Did he do this on his own? Did he part their line like Moses at the sea? Or did someone, anyone, maybe actually block for him? Its so easy to focus on the rb, but what holes did he hit and who was springing him? I'm curious

Reactions: simons96
Ok, I turned the game off and went golfing. Now I read about Barkley. Did he do this on his own? Did he part their line like Moses at the sea? Or did someone, anyone, maybe actually block for him? Its so easy to focus on the rb, but what holes did he hit and who was springing him? I'm curious
A combination of both as I see it. Love Akeel Lynch, but the fact of the matter is he is indecisive and slow whereas as Barkley is a quick accelerator who has surprising power. Maybe a misperception, but it sure looked like the line blocked better with Barkley (although most of his yards admittedly came later in the game when Buffalo probably began wearing down). If you haven't seen it, you must watch the video of Barkley hurdling a would be tackler.

I think Gesicki has tremendous upside, but as I mentioned before, for those of you who posted how Breneman could be nothing more than his "caddie", maybe we shouldn't (1) be so quick to anoint Gesicki as the next Rob Gronkowski and (2) consider Breneman an "after thought". Breneman was playing awful well the second half of his TRUE freshman year before missing last year due to injury. There is a reason why he was among the most recruited TEs coming out of high school and I think he is a big loss for this team. Drops happen, but Gesicki's forgetting to get out to lineup for a FG attempt shortly after his 2 drops is not acceptable.

Reactions: Bobsouth
No inside info, but I'll bet those changes were driven by James...personnel changes and simplifying blocking schemes for the OL, and play calling. Thirteen protection calls for a struggling OL is ridiculous. No O adjustments in the Temple game is equally so.

I think Gesicki has tremendous upside, but as I mentioned before, for those of you who posted how Breneman could be nothing more than his "caddie", maybe we shouldn't (1) be so quick to anoint Gesicki as the next Rob Gronkowski and (2) consider Breneman an "after thought". Breneman was playing awful well the second half of his TRUE freshman year before missing last year due to injury. There is a reason why he was among the most recruited TEs coming out of high school and I think he is a big loss for this team. Drops happen, but Gesicki's forgetting to get out to lineup for a FG attempt shortly after his 2 drops is not acceptable.
Jack Ham said Geisicki catches EVERYTHING in practice. I think we have to factor in the heavy, wet, slippery ball into his performance yesterday.

Barkley has gifts that you cannot teach. His ability to read and set up blockers is uncanny. He also looked like a natural leader on the sideline yesterday. He could be the catalyst that causes this team to be "respectable" vs the slippery slope to "sucking" that we were on. I even changed my avatar to happy, irreverent Ziggy because of Barkley. The coaching? Ehhh not so much!

Well this TYPE of offense puts ALL the pressure on the D. Maybe that's the best they can do. I find it hard to believe after the BC game.

Barkley has gifts that you cannot teach. His ability to read and set up blockers is uncanny. He also looked like a natural leader on the sideline yesterday. He could be the catalyst that causes this team to be "respectable" vs the slippery slope to "sucking" that we were on. I even changed my avatar to happy, irreverent Ziggy because of Barkley. The coaching? Ehhh not so much!
I agree that Barkley has uncanny talents. He single-handedly lit a fire under everyone else's butts and they all started to look alive again. Success breeds success, and Barkley has that intangible leadership ability that can't be taught!

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT