ADVERTISEMENT

I think this Navy Captain deserves a medal

I imagine they have already heard from him as well as all of the captain’s immediate subordinates. The goal now for the Navy is to restore the captain as quickly and quietly as possible so as to minimize the blowback to the CIC.

Here ya go....April 6th;

Yesterday the CIC, also known as POTUS, said the Captain was an honorable man with a stellar career. Said he would look into what happened and that the Captain should not have his career ruined over it. Lets see how it plays out.

I was never in but I worry about the Navy. You have the virus issue, the collisions, the problems with the Ford and I’ve read that they intend to retire some of these LCS platforms after 10 years of service.

Something is very wrong here going back a long time.

I was never in but I worry about the Navy. You have the virus issue, the collisions, the problems with the Ford and I’ve read that they intend to retire some of these LCS platforms after 10 years of service.

Something is very wrong here going back a long time.
I think the LCS program was a disaster from day one- and some of them will be gone before they are ten years old. My concern for a long time has been they seem over reliant on technology and no longer focus on seamanship. A lot of that tech may not work as expected when the shit gets real.

It is still an open story to me. I glad he is back but the whole thing is just weird. Although these are weird times.

weird? I think it is very clear what transpired. They will just say that they sarcastically fired him.

I think the LCS program was a disaster from day one- and some of them will be gone before they are ten years old. My concern for a long time has been they seem over reliant on technology and no longer focus on seamanship. A lot of that tech may not work as expected when the shit gets real.
I agree entirely. I have read that they want to get away from this automated bridge control systems and get back to traditional controls and navigation.

How is reinstating him a good idea? They've just set the worst precedence that they could have. Are we now going to reinstate COs whose ships run aground if the entire crew loves them? The Navy can't and won't operate effectively if upper leadership isn't willing to make hard decisions that may be different than the majority of the crews opinions.

How is reinstating him a good idea? They've just set the worst precedence that they could have. Are we now going to reinstate COs whose ships run aground if the entire crew loves them? The Navy can't and won't operate effectively if upper leadership isn't willing to make hard decisions that may be different than the majority of the crews opinions.
Because they realize that he was right and someone higher up in the chain of command was wrong. It's a far cry from a skipper running a ship aground.

Because they realize that he was right and someone higher up in the chain of command was wrong. It's a far cry from a skipper running a ship aground.

How so, both are fired due to a loss in the confidence of their ability to lead? Anybody who believes reinstating him doesn't make the US Navy look weak is naive. How about every crew begins to publicly complain when something doesn't go their way. How's that going to work for the Navy, not well. There's command climate surveys and other anonymous ways for crews to report their grievances.

Does anybody really believe this ship wasn't going to receive the help they were going to need if this letter wasn't leaked? This ship had already pulled into Guam early because of the issue.

How so, both are fired due to a loss in the confidence of their ability to lead? Anybody who believes reinstating him doesn't make the US Navy look weak is naive. How about every crew begins to publicly complain when something doesn't go their way. How's that going to work for the Navy, not well. There's command climate surveys and other anonymous ways for crews to report their grievances.

Does anybody really believe this ship wasn't going to receive the help they were going to need if this letter wasn't leaked? This ship had already pulled into Guam early because of the issue.
either you haven't been following this or you and I just aren't going to agree

either you haven't been following this or you and I just aren't going to agree

I'm going to pick the latter. I also think I have much better info than you. I know multiple people on the TR to include 1 that tested positive and had mild symptoms. I also know some things that makes me believe going back to the ship would end the Captain's career (wouldn't promote).

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I'm going to pick the latter. I also think I have much better info than you. I know multiple people on the TR to include 1 that tested positive and had mild symptoms. I also know some things that makes me believe going back to the ship would end the Captain's career (wouldn't promote).
He obviously was willing to take that risk when he signed the letter. My best to your friends on the TR, and all of their shipmates.

He obviously was willing to take that risk when he signed the letter. My best to your friends on the TR, and all of their shipmates.

Yes, I agree with you, it was very risky to sign that letter. It was especially risky to send it out via NIPR (non-secret) when he was also already talking to them over SIPR.

A loss of confidence by whom, Modly? WGABFF. His crew certainly didn't lose confidence in him. Nor did the top uniformed brass. Time will tell, but I believe at this point that the blame falls far more on Modly than on anyone else.

Odd that six weeks after the CNO (who SHOULD be the decider on this) recommended that Capt. Crozier be reinstated as CO, nothing has happened.

One might suspect that the decision is not going to be a military one.

Surprise, surprise- somebody managed to get the CNO to "change his mind" based on "new facts" and fire the captain. Who could have predicted such a thing?

Is everyone working in DC a weasel?

Reactions: TFBaum
Surprise, surprise- somebody managed to get the CNO to "change his mind" based on "new facts" and fire the captain. Who could have predicted such a thing?

Is everyone working in DC a weasel?
I asked around and nobody is talking about why here in DC. It is weird. Again why isn’t anyone asking the fleet surgeon?

Reactions: Nitt1300
Warship captains told the skipper of a COVID-stricken aircraft carrier he was 'doing what is right' just before the Navy fired him, emails show

Ryan Pickrell
Fri, March 5, 2021, 2:31 PM

Capt. Brett Crozier, then the commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), gives remarks during an all-hands call in Dec. 2019. US Navy
  • The US Navy fired a carrier captain after he wrote a letter about a coronavirus outbreak that leaked.
  • After an investigation, the Navy stood by its decision to relieve Capt. Brett Crozier of his command.
  • Emails show that fellow warship captains believed Crozier was "doing the right thing."
Warship captains showed strong support for the commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, Capt. Brett Crozier, in emails sent just before the Navy fired him, Task & Purpose reported Friday.
A collection of 1,200 emails sent to and from Crozier's email between March 25, 2020 and April 2, 2020 that were obtained by Task & Purpose and reported by Jeff Schogol reveal that Crozier had not only the support of his crew when he was relieved of his command, but also the support of fellow skippers.
The Navy publicly acknowledged that there was a COVID-19 outbreak on the USS Theodore Roosevelt on March 24, 2020, revealing that three sailors had tested positive.
The number of coronavirus cases soared within a matter of days as the carrier was forced into port in Guam.

On March 30, medical professionals aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt warned that sailors would die if they were not evacuated immediately. That same day, Crozier sent an urgent plea up the chain of command calling for the evacuation of the majority of the crew. "Sailors do not need to die," he wrote.

"If there is ever a time to ask for help it is now regardless of the impact on my career," Crozier wrote.

The letter, which was also sent to some Navy personnel outside Crozier's chain of command, leaked to The San Francisco Chronicle and published in full on March 31, and on April 2, acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly fired Crozier for "poor judgement." Modly resigned a week later after a series of missteps, which included speaking ill of the captain to his crew.

"I read your letter yesterday in the SF Chronicle," Capt. Matthew Paradise, commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson, wrote in an email to Crozier on April 1.

"I thought it was awesome and a textbook example of speaking truth to power and taking care of your troops," he said.

Another email obtained by Task & Purpose was from Capt. Sean Bailey, then the commanding officer of the carrier USS George H.W. Bush.

"I know you are feeling an immense amount of heat and outside pressure from everything that is going on right now, but wanted to let you know that the people who matter still support you," the captain wrote in an email sent on April 1.

"I admire your commitment to communicating candidly to leadership and I'm confident that the 'leak' to the SF Chronicle was someone else's misdirected motivation," Bailey said. "I know that you are doing what is right to take care of your Sailors and your ship. Let me know if I can help."

In a March 3Warship captains told the skipper of a COVID-stricken aircraft carrier he was 'doing what is right' just before the Navy fired him, emails show (yahoo.com) 1 email to the captain, Cmdr. Patrick Eliason, then the skipper of the destroyer USS The Sullivans, thanked Crozier for "having the guts" to write the letter that ultimately derailed his career.

After he was relieved of his command, Crozier departed his ship, but he did so to the sound of his crew chanting his name. Modly was angered by videos of this send-off and flew to Guam afterwards to address the crew, a trip that would cost him job and taxpayers an estimated $243,000.

After a preliminary investigation, Navy leaders recommended late last April that Crozier be reinstated, but they changed their minds after a deeper investigation.

"Had I known then what I know today, I would not have made that recommendation to reinstate Capt. Crozier. Moreover, if Capt. Crozier were still command today, I would be relieving him," Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said last June.

He argued that Crozier "fell well short of what we expect of those in command."

The Navy battled the outbreak aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt for months and did end up eventually evacuating the majority of the crew as more than one thousand sailors tested positive for COVID-19. A number of sailors were hospitalized by the virus, and one sailor died.

Warship captains told the skipper of a COVID-stricken aircraft carrier he was 'doing what is right' just before the Navy fired him, emails show (yahoo.com)

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Warship captains told the skipper of a COVID-stricken aircraft carrier he was 'doing what is right' just before the Navy fired him, emails show

Ryan Pickrell
Fri, March 5, 2021, 2:31 PM

Capt. Brett Crozier, then the commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), gives remarks during an all-hands call in Dec. 2019. US Navy
  • The US Navy fired a carrier captain after he wrote a letter about a coronavirus outbreak that leaked.
  • After an investigation, the Navy stood by its decision to relieve Capt. Brett Crozier of his command.
  • Emails show that fellow warship captains believed Crozier was "doing the right thing."
Warship captains showed strong support for the commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, Capt. Brett Crozier, in emails sent just before the Navy fired him, Task & Purpose reported Friday.
A collection of 1,200 emails sent to and from Crozier's email between March 25, 2020 and April 2, 2020 that were obtained by Task & Purpose and reported by Jeff Schogol reveal that Crozier had not only the support of his crew when he was relieved of his command, but also the support of fellow skippers.
The Navy publicly acknowledged that there was a COVID-19 outbreak on the USS Theodore Roosevelt on March 24, 2020, revealing that three sailors had tested positive.
The number of coronavirus cases soared within a matter of days as the carrier was forced into port in Guam.

On March 30, medical professionals aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt warned that sailors would die if they were not evacuated immediately. That same day, Crozier sent an urgent plea up the chain of command calling for the evacuation of the majority of the crew. "Sailors do not need to die," he wrote.

"If there is ever a time to ask for help it is now regardless of the impact on my career," Crozier wrote.

The letter, which was also sent to some Navy personnel outside Crozier's chain of command, leaked to The San Francisco Chronicle and published in full on March 31, and on April 2, acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly fired Crozier for "poor judgement." Modly resigned a week later after a series of missteps, which included speaking ill of the captain to his crew.

"I read your letter yesterday in the SF Chronicle," Capt. Matthew Paradise, commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson, wrote in an email to Crozier on April 1.

"I thought it was awesome and a textbook example of speaking truth to power and taking care of your troops," he said.

Another email obtained by Task & Purpose was from Capt. Sean Bailey, then the commanding officer of the carrier USS George H.W. Bush.

"I know you are feeling an immense amount of heat and outside pressure from everything that is going on right now, but wanted to let you know that the people who matter still support you," the captain wrote in an email sent on April 1.

"I admire your commitment to communicating candidly to leadership and I'm confident that the 'leak' to the SF Chronicle was someone else's misdirected motivation," Bailey said. "I know that you are doing what is right to take care of your Sailors and your ship. Let me know if I can help."

In a March 3Warship captains told the skipper of a COVID-stricken aircraft carrier he was 'doing what is right' just before the Navy fired him, emails show (yahoo.com) 1 email to the captain, Cmdr. Patrick Eliason, then the skipper of the destroyer USS The Sullivans, thanked Crozier for "having the guts" to write the letter that ultimately derailed his career.

After he was relieved of his command, Crozier departed his ship, but he did so to the sound of his crew chanting his name. Modly was angered by videos of this send-off and flew to Guam afterwards to address the crew, a trip that would cost him job and taxpayers an estimated $243,000.

After a preliminary investigation, Navy leaders recommended late last April that Crozier be reinstated, but they changed their minds after a deeper investigation.

"Had I known then what I know today, I would not have made that recommendation to reinstate Capt. Crozier. Moreover, if Capt. Crozier were still command today, I would be relieving him," Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said last June.

He argued that Crozier "fell well short of what we expect of those in command."

The Navy battled the outbreak aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt for months and did end up eventually evacuating the majority of the crew as more than one thousand sailors tested positive for COVID-19. A number of sailors were hospitalized by the virus, and one sailor died.

Warship captains told the skipper of a COVID-stricken aircraft carrier he was 'doing what is right' just before the Navy fired him, emails show (yahoo.com)
He was a real leader. Wish we had more people like him.

Reactions: Nitt1300
It's about time they released this true American hero. Should have never been locked up in the first place.

“I have been fighting for 17 years. I am willing to throw it all away to say to my senior leaders: I demand accountability. People are upset because their senior leaders let them down and none of them are raising their hands and accepting accountability and saying, ‘We messed this up.’”

“To recap my position in the fallout of Afghanistan, I demanded accountability of my senior leaders and I stated then that I understood that I might lose my commander seat, my retirement and my family stability. As it has played out, I have, in fact, lost all three of those things,” he said in his last video.

“Looking at the organizations that are so dear to me... the military establishment and the political establishment of the American government I was seeing key leaders who weren’t being held accountable and abusing their positions of power at the expense of the everyday American.

“Everything that I’ve fought for is countered to that. The future that my sons are going to grow up in is contingent upon the organization being able to evolve - which only happens through accountability.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT