ADVERTISEMENT

I think this Navy Captain deserves a medal

Last edited:
Nor are their positions of authority.
there are lots of assholes in high places- I'm not impressed with too many of them

They are going to try to blacken this guys name, but he did what he thought he had to do- and he knew a lot more about what the Navy was doing than we do. I don't believe for one minute that there was going to be as much help as there seems to be now if he hadn't done what he did- and he knew what the cost was going to be before he did it- as I did. That's why I started the thread.

Reactions: Cvilleguy12
According to the news tonight, the acting secretary of the navy said that the captain never voiced his concern up the chain of command. While I find it hard to believe that he never said anything to his boss, it’s likely he didn’t properly or fully document his concern. I wonder if he had just went ahead and got his sailors off the ship, would he have been fired? Most likely it would be less embarrassing for the administration.

According to the news tonight, the acting secretary of the navy said that the captain never voiced his concern up the chain of command. While I find it hard to believe that he never said anything to his boss, it’s likely he didn’t properly or fully document his concern. I wonder if he had just went ahead and got his sailors off the ship, would he have been fired? Most likely it would be less embarrassing for the administration.
that's what they are saying- I don't believe it, but that's what they are saying

Tough one as there are 2 sides to every story. I think most could understand why he did it, but hopefully he has his correspondence saved and is in contact with the JAG office. I highly doubt anyone in charge of a carrier disregarded his chain of command on something so serious so there had to be some back and fourth. Going outside the chain and putting egg on their face back in DC....not surprised this is what occurred.

He apparently sent an email to the press. Is that correct? If so, done. Perhaps he is in a few good men territory but no matter how much you disagree with orders you can’t basically mutiny.
nobody has accused him of sending it to the press as far as I've seen

nobody has accused him of sending it to the press as far as I've seen
I could be wrong, but I know they mentioned about to many people being on an email so maybe some outside of the chain were on it. You're right about the ones at the top looking out for the image first and a skipper looking out for his crew. This isn't the first clash like this.

I could be wrong, but I know they mentioned about to many people being on an email so maybe some outside of the chain were on it. You're right about the ones at the top looking out for the image first and a skipper looking out for his crew. This isn't the first clash like this.
I think he hoped it would get out. If he did, it was a pretty desperate act- one that a Navy Captain wouldn't do unless he had already tried to get action and lost faith in his superiors. There's no way he didn't understand that this was a career ender- and he did it anyway. That speaks volumes, I think.

I think he hoped it would get out. If he did, it was a pretty desperate act- one that a Navy Captain wouldn't do unless he had already tried to get action and lost faith in his superiors. There's no way he didn't understand that this was a career ender- and he did it anyway. That speaks volumes, I think.
A few good men. He keeps his rank but was relieved of his post. You have to follow orders, right or wrong. He may have been right, but he was wrong.

if franklin calls a pass play and the left guard blocks for a running play because he thinks the play call was a bad idea, nobody wins

A few good men. He keeps his rank but was relieved of his post. You have to follow orders, right or wrong. He may have been right, but he was wrong.
The next step for most officers who rise to the command of a carrier is Rear Admiral. Want to make odds on his chances of that now?

He apparently sent an email to the press. Is that correct? If so, done. Perhaps he is in a few good men territory but no matter how much you disagree with orders you can’t basically mutiny.
Not exactly the right take. If his orders were to put his men in danger, then he could potentially get away with ignoring them. In his case, he didn’t evacuate the ship, he complained about it in the press. The only saving grace would be the whistleblower thing, but his career is done.

I read that he had but could be wrong. Stars and Stripes says he didn’t use the chain of command, nor a secure channel and that it made it’s way to the press

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/cap...bout-coronavirus-outbreak-was-leaked-1.624691
I have a hard time believing an O-6 selected to run a carrier didn't know to use his chain of command. It's what keeps a carrier running smoothly. Now the part about it getting out or maybe turning a blind eye to it getting out is certainly possible, but I can pretty much guarantee you his immediate chain was informed. Maybe he didn't think the response was good enough or something...who knows, we don't, but I do know the folks in DC with ****'s on their shoulders don't take kindly to bad press.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Tough one as there are 2 sides to every story. I think most could understand why he did it, but hopefully he has his correspondence saved and is in contact with the JAG office. I highly doubt anyone in charge of a carrier disregarded his chain of command on something so serious so there had to be some back and fourth. Going outside the chain and putting egg on their face back in DC....not surprised this is what occurred.

I brought this up in the French Submarine Thread. They visited Nam in early March. The Captain and PacFleet Commander 4 star admiral should both be relieved of their duties. They made terrible errors in judgement for allowing that port visit.

Corona Virus was discussed and they went ahead with the visit anyway. I know damn well both were given intel reports advising
them of the dangers out there. They ignored them.

He is in the military. Anybody that has served knows there is a chain of command. If you break that chain of command, then there are consequences. It’s nothing new. Truman sacked MacArthur for going outside the chain of command.

And China has their rules for their people. It didn't stop people from criticizing them. This guy obviously didn't make this decision lightly. He was put in a position where he felt he had to do what he did.

Reactions: m48tank
And China has their rules for their people. It didn't stop people from criticizing them. This guy obviously didn't make this decision lightly. He was put in a position where he felt he had to do what he did.
Big difference. This man volunteered to serve and knew the rules. The people of China have little choice about where they’re born. If he was a civilian this wouldn’t be an issue.

I’m sure there were many commanding officers throughout history that didn’t want to put their men into difficult situations. Can you imagine if every CO refused an order to save their men’s lives? There would’ve been no D-Day and no island hopping in the Pacific.

Serving in the military is a sacrifice. It’s why we honor those who voluntarily choose to serve. I’m sure the brass made this decision because they wanted to isolate the sailors and not put the local population in danger. It’s called sacrifice.

Cool story, but now he doesn’t get to use the boat.

And we were criticizing China for punishing people for reporting the outbreak.
Punishing people in the private sector vs Military are totally different. Military folks know chain of command is important and must be followed. If this was like the Dr. in Wuhan who has disappeared and the other who is dead then we have a completely different discussion as that is definitely in the publics best interest to know about.

I just read the memo and I'm shocked that something like that was disseminated without proper classification.
I haven't read it but was told that it divulged the "battle ready" status of the ship in an open forum and without being classified. If an enemy was close to creating some kind of havoc in the area patrolled by that carrier (a quick strike option from the air projected worldwide) that is quite a breach IMHO>

The next step for most officers who rise to the command of a carrier is Rear Admiral. Want to make odds on his chances of that now?

Hopefully zero.

If he's leaking stuff to the Press, which we know is partisan both ways, he can never be trusted again. In this politically charged environment right now, there are a lot of our adversaries that would love some inside info on the battle readiness of one of our Carriers.

You know the old saying. "Loose Lips Sink Ships."

If true, this guy should be done. End of story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT