ADVERTISEMENT

I formation

DrJC

May 29, 2001
I was not last night and have not been impressed with that run/option play. I think defenses are onto it and it requires an offensive line that can sustain blocks while it develops. Simply, in my humble opinion, it is not the best formation to showcase Saquon's talents. I would rather see a power i, or some formation that permits him to hit the hole quickly.

I also do not understand the limited use of Blacknail. He was so devastating against USC.

Lastly, OSU adjusted on kickoffs to assure that Barkley did not get the ball. Why did we not make an adjustment as well to the short kicks?

I was not last night and have not been impressed with that run/option play. I think defenses are onto it and it requires an offensive line that can sustain blocks while it develops. Simply, in my humble opinion, it is not the best formation to showcase Saquon's talents. I would rather see a power i, or some formation that permits him to hit the hole quickly.

I also do not understand the limited use of Blacknail. He was so devastating against USC.

Lastly, OSU adjusted on kickoffs to assure that Barkley did not get the ball. Why did we not make an adjustment as well to the short kicks?
CJF has stated numerous times that we won't run the I, so how many posts need to be about that?
BlacknaLL did not even play against USC
And, their short kicks gave us the ball around the 30 when Holland caught them, but Koa returned one 50 yds--and the last KO we had WRs/TEs on 2nd line--and Juwan blocked and recovered on the 40

So what is your point?

If they're blitzing the crap out of you, go five wide. We have the horses - Barkley, Gesicki, Blacknall, Hamilton, Johnson, Charles, and Polk. Empty the backfield and throw ASAP.

Won't see the I, maybe split backs' but not the I. Wilson ran this Offense at Indiana, so that was an extra hill to climb yesterday.

CJF has stated numerous times that we won't run the I, so how many posts need to be about that?
And, their short kicks gave us the ball around the 30 when Holland caught them, but Koa returned one 50 yds--and the last KO we had WRs/TEs on 2nd line--and Juwan blocked and recovered on the 40

So what is your point?
You are correct in that I was recalling the Wisconsin game. Pardon. I have heard nothing about a refusal to use the power i. Knock off the rudeness, Mr. Wonderful

Reactions: N&B4PSU

I always got a kick out of Franklin on this point. "Who needs a fullback, they can only do one thing." Like score TD's and get first downs...........

Bottom line is that we gave up a 15 point lead in the 4th quarter. If that isn't enough to bum you out, then nothing will. Sadly, I think it was Wannstadt who said during pregame that PSU needs to show that they can "close out" a game........... PSU had nothing to counter with at the end......

I don't care if you run an I formation with 12 guys on the field. When you're whiffing on simple man to man blocks, it's not going to matter.

I'm not going to call out individual players however I'll say that certain folks had some of the worst attempts at blocks I've seen in a while. It was bad.

But, that won't stop the Joebots from calling for fullbacks and the I-formation. Hell, maybe we can bring back Jay, Zach Mills and Sean McHugh. Then we can run the option to the short side of the field with Mills in a knee brace and McHugh as the pitch man (and yes, that happened).

So what is your point?

He has none, because he still thinks it's 1984.

Barkley has played in this offense for six years. Three in high school, three at PSU. Penn State has zero fullbacks on the roster. Maybe a trade between Temple and Penn State for their fullback, 6-2 250 Nick Sharga, can be worked out before next Saturday.
Barkley scared the crap out of Meyer with that kickoff. Penn State, except for one kickoff, had good starting field position because of it.

Who let Jay in here?

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Don't need a fullback or the I, just need a play where Barkley gets the ball moving toward the line of scrimmage at near full speed. Seems as Simple as Trace take a step forward and Saquon take a step back. No pulling or reading up front just hat on hat and Barkley gets the ball running toward the line. If someone wiffs on their block its no gain possibly 1 or 2 because of Saquon's power. We have to avoid 3,5,7 yard losses on our base run play.

Don't need a fullback or the I, just need a play where Barkley gets the ball moving toward the line of scrimmage at near full speed. Seems as Simple as Trace take a step forward and Saquon take a step back. No pulling or reading up front just hat on hat and Barkley gets the ball running toward the line. If someone wiffs on their block its no gain possibly 1 or 2 because of Saquon's power. We have to avoid 3,5,7 yard losses on our base run play.
Agree. No reason Barkley can't line up two yds deeper than the QB, get a running start and the line open a hole.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and mtnlion
In the I you mostly fire of straight ahead, instead of dancing around looking for someone to block. I doesn't lose seven yds. on running plays.
No matter what formation , most teams don't fire out any more , even I formation teams Need to save the brain to save the game
Most times they slide left or right and then engage contact

No matter what formation , most teams don't fire out any more , even I formation teams Need to save the brain to save the game
Most times they slide left or right and then engage contact
Well, the dancing bear scheme sure doesn't work.

How effective was Michigan's I formation against us? Our offense is what it is...it's good for some things and bad for others, just like every offense out there.

If you don't think the line is up to running the read option how in the world do you suppose we could run the I? Good Lord
In power i, you have fullback often lead blocking and you hit the hole quicker.

How was our success against OSU and Michigan and Iowa? How was Joe's success against top 10 teams? A lot worse than you remember I would guess.
If you're talking about his later years, you may have a point. Otherwise, you do not. And as far as record against top ten teams, I would guess that most any coach's (even the great ones) winning percentage is not that overwhelming. I do know that he is 2-1 in national championship match-ups and had four other undefeated seasons that went unrewarded. And don't tell me about the schedule being tougher now than then. Through the 80's we were playing Alabama, Nebraska and ND regularly. And Eastern football was as good or better than the Big Ten in the 70's and 80's. But, carry on with the hate if you must.

P.S. Also, don't forget the wins taken from him because of the officiating in games against the three teams you mention. Were it not for those, the record wouldn't have been as bad.

Last edited:
Asked about the I-formation, Joe Moorhead said "There's no 'i' in team."

I'd be happy with a few dedicated running plays to Barkley without the read-option. McSorely/Barkley were standing still for 1-2 seconds trying to look for a read Ohio State wan't providing.

Have a running play where the OL knows where the play is going and have Barkley try to blast through it. At worst, it is probably a 3 yard game. At best he's hitting the second level.

I'd be happy with a few dedicated running plays to Barkley without the read-option. McSorely/Barkley were standing still for 1-2 seconds trying to look for a read Ohio State wan't providing.

Have a running play where the OL knows where the play is going and have Barkley try to blast through it. At worst, it is probably a 3 yard game. At best he's hitting the second level.
I agree with this

If you're talking about his later years, you may have a point. Otherwise, you do not. And as far as record against top ten teams, I would guess that most any coach's (even the great ones) winning percentage is not that overwhelming. I do know that he is 2-1 in national championship match-ups and had four other undefeated seasons that went unrewarded. And don't tell me about the schedule being tougher now than then. Through the 80's we were playing Alabama, Nebraska and ND regularly. And Eastern football was as good or better than the Big Ten in the 70's and 80's. But, carry on with the hate if you must.

P.S. Also, don't forget the wins taken from him because of the officiating in games against the three teams you mention. Were it not for those, the record wouldn't have been as bad.
And every team back then pretty much played the same offense....just line up and the team with the best players won most of the time. College football has changed and it's much more of a chess match now than in the past.

And every team back then pretty much played the same offense....just line up and the team with the best players won most of the time. College football has changed and it's much more of a chess match now than in the past.
Agree 100%. I just think the I used in certain game situations has its place.

You can’t go back and forth with offensive schemes because we’re talking about human’s and not video games. A coach recruits and practices based on the schemes he plans to run. It’s very difficult to be proficient if you are running both a spread and I-formation based offense.

If you are going to set up your entire offense for Saquon Barkley, then you better keep recruiting Saquon Barkley’s. After all, what would happen if he got injured or after he leaves for the pros. Do you have an I-formation offense, without a dominant I-formation runningback?

Reactions: AWS1022
You can’t go back and forth with offensive schemes because we’re talking about human’s and not video games. A coach recruits and practices based on the schemes he plans to run. It’s very difficult to be proficient if you are running both a spread and I-formation based offense.

If you are going to set up your entire offense for Saquon Barkley, then you better keep recruiting Saquon Barkley’s. After all, what would happen if he got injured or after he leaves for the pros. Do you have an I-formation offense, without a dominant I-formation runningback?
Using that thinking your offense would never change because you would always recruit the same type players and hire the same type coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT