ADVERTISEMENT

I Choose Half-Full, But...

DavidM

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2002
Annapolis, MD
The fact is that most of us are predisposed to be either optimistic or pessimistic, and those who are seeing the end of the season as a series of negatives are welcome to do so. The team lost four games--the ones that fans thought mattered the most. The coaches made some play-calls that turned out to be "unfortunate," and the offensive coordinator appears to be a work-in-progress. Five members of the current squad with eligibility remaining have chosen to try their luck with the NFL. Finally, the QB who's started for Penn State for three years, and played well for the most part, is finished with college. All of those things can reasonably be seen as negatives.

However, those of us determined to look for positives don't have a hard time finding them--especially if we go beyond "what has Franklin done for us this week." The program has gotten beyond the sanctions without a single losing season. We now have a head coach who seems interested in hanging around for a while, and is eager to support the PSU brand--athletics AND legitimate academic priorities (Some of us old-school folks would probably stop caring about Penn State athletics if players staying eligible was the only academic concern of the program). After two eleven-win seasons--and several great players graduating--the team fell to a quite respectable 9-4. Frankly, the players departing early (or not) can be replaced--the bowl game highlighted some liabilities that make their leaving a little less painful. Recruiting--which represents the future of the program--is going REALLY well: the current class is virtually guaranteed of finishing in the Top Ten for a second year in a row. And if Franklin can do as well with the 2020 class, the possibilities for the program down the road are special. Penn State isn't Clemson or Alabama, but I think I'd buy our stock if I was an investor.

We half-full glass guys have plenty to feel good about with the football program. And those of you currently unable to see anything except the light from an oncoming train, I hope that 2019 will be good to you as well.

The fact is that most of us are predisposed to be either optimistic or pessimistic, and those who are seeing the end of the season as a series of negatives are welcome to do so. The team lost four games--the ones that fans thought mattered the most. The coaches made some play-calls that turned out to be "unfortunate," and the offensive coordinator appears to be a work-in-progress. Five members of the current squad with eligibility remaining have chosen to try their luck with the NFL. Finally, the QB who's started for Penn State for three years, and played well for the most part, is finished with college. All of those things can reasonably be seen as negatives.

However, those of us determined to look for positives don't have a hard time finding them--especially if we go beyond "what has Franklin done for us this week." The program has gotten beyond the sanctions without a single losing season. We now have a head coach who seems interested in hanging around for a while, and is eager to support the PSU brand--athletics AND legitimate academic priorities (Some of us old-school folks would probably stop caring about Penn State athletics if players staying eligible was the only academic concern of the program). After two eleven-win seasons--and several great players graduating--the team fell to a quite respectable 9-4. Frankly, the players departing early (or not) can be replaced--the bowl game highlighted some liabilities that make their leaving a little less painful. Recruiting--which represents the future of the program--is going REALLY well: the current class is virtually guaranteed of finishing in the Top Ten for a second year in a row. And if Franklin can do as well with the 2020 class, the possibilities for the program down the road are special. Penn State isn't Clemson or Alabama, but I think I'd buy our stock if I was an investor.

We half-full glass guys have plenty to feel good about with the football program. And those of you currently unable to see anything except the light from an oncoming train, I hope that 2019 will be good to you as well.
We lost a game to Michigan and three to Penn State.

Agree.

we have to remember that Trace was not 100% in the important games. it appears Tommy wasn't either. So that limited options on offense. I don't think we will be that thin in the coming years.

Our high end, upper class-men, WR's didn't perform. That was a surprise.

There was a considerable drop off at RB, even though Sanders played and performed pretty well. Its just that he wasn't #26 and all that came with that.

The OL didn't seem to improve, as expected. Although they did pass block well.

The DL was good and improved. The LB corp, our biggest weakness going in, performed pretty well sans one guy. The DBs all played well.

Overall, the D over achieved considering how thin we were in the front seven and counting so heavily on a true freshman who ended up leading the team in tackles.

I thought we'd be awesome going into next year but am concerned, now, about the run game (OL and RB). Slade showed some flashes but I am concerned about short yardage. Brown looked good but, for some reason, the staff was hesitant to use him much. Lots of good talent coming in but is very untested.

Reactions: BBrown
A reasonable barometer would be to look at the five players leaving and compare that to other PSU teams and other teams nationally, if that is even quantifiable. I mean is this a fun place to play? Is CJF a players coach, etc. etc.? Knowing the players overall "life" situation is impossible so why a player goes or stays we'll never know. I would say though, the longer a team plays together the greater chance for great things!

The best way to succeed at anything is to cut loose of the negative people around you.

I have high hopes of being a pessimist but I'm happy to say that I'll probably never be able to do it.:confused:

The positives are that PSU has recruited well at skill positions and we should be better at LB with the young guys maturing and Smith coming in to add depth.

The negatives are fixing the WR problem, the unknown of a new QB, and replacing Givens, Bates, & McGovern.

Side note: Didn't Wilkins play 4 years at Clemson? Why are so many of our guys leaving after 3?

Why are so many of our guys leaving after 3?

Some were redshirts who already have their degree and were multi year starters, some were talented running backs that you don't want to lose much tread on your tires, some listened to "draft experts" or agents and came out too soon.

Reactions: DavidM
Agree.

we have to remember that Trace was not 100% in the important games. it appears Tommy wasn't either. So that limited options on offense. I don't think we will be that thin in the coming years.

Our high end, upper class-men, WR's didn't perform. That was a surprise.

There was a considerable drop off at RB, even though Sanders played and performed pretty well. Its just that he wasn't #26 and all that came with that.

The OL didn't seem to improve, as expected. Although they did pass block well.

The DL was good and improved. The LB corp, our biggest weakness going in, performed pretty well sans one guy. The DBs all played well.

Overall, the D over achieved considering how thin we were in the front seven and counting so heavily on a true freshman who ended up leading the team in tackles.

I thought we'd be awesome going into next year but am concerned, now, about the run game (OL and RB). Slade showed some flashes but I am concerned about short yardage. Brown looked good but, for some reason, the staff was hesitant to use him much. Lots of good talent coming in but is very untested.

I thought our offense moved better in the bowl game with Slade. I think we'll be ok.
I like what I've seen of Journey so far (I know its a limited sample size).

Some were redshirts who already have their degree and were multi year starters, some were talented running backs that you don't want to lose much tread on your tires, some listened to "draft experts" or agents and came out too soon.
I understand that but the number of projected low round picks leaving PSU before their eligibility expires seems to be increasing. Wilkins would have been a higher pick leaving after his junior year but he came back.

Wilkins chose to be part of two national championships. I suspect that if the 2019 Penn State team was a potential national champion, not all five would have left. I'm not saying that the Lions COULDN'T win a title next season, but there are no widespread expectations of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT