ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not 100% sure the best way to do it..

stormingnorm

Aug 2, 2017
But something has to be done about the epidemic of “faking injuries” on defense to slow down up-tempo offenses.

It was funny for a while....... but it’s just getting to be both ridiculously obvious and waaaaaay to often.

Maybe when a guy is “injured” and requires a time out to get off the field, he has to sit out for X plays (significantly more than 1)? Something like that?

That would not put Refs into a predicament where they have to guess as to whether or not a kid is really hurt....... but could be marketed as a “player safety issue” - since any “injury” requiring assistance should be followed by sufficient time off field to have the player thoroughly evaluated by medical personnel.

Sweet Jeebus! :)

I agree, especially during the last 5 minutes of a game. Like Time Outs, a team should be limited to 3 cramping injuries per half.

Last edited:
When a player is injured and his team has utilized all its time outs. If play must be stopped in this situation his team will either be assessed a 5 yard penalty or the injured player may not return for the remainder of that series ( his coaches choice).

I wouldn’t disagree.

Why isn’t something like that already in place.... d’ya think?

I’ve sent several suggestions to the NCAA in Indy even though it’s a complete waste of time or effort.

My “best”: fair catches on punts are often whistled dead even when it’s obvious a returner was just trying to shield his face from the sun. The solution: a returner must touch his shoulder pad (or alternatively, his helmet) for a fair catch to be ruled a valid fair catch. He fails to signal “legally”, he’s fair game and coverage guys can knock the snot out of him. Would eliminate most (95%+) of the officiating blown calls on this play.

in 2010, this FAT@SS had his defense go down with "cramps" at least every other play whenever Arizona State went no-huddle. J.T. Watt "cramped" up at least 4-5 times, magically recovering 1-2 plays later. Of course in 2006 this FAT F^CK did the multiple, deliberate kickoff offsides BS to run out the clock and keep the ball away from the PSU offense prior to halftime. As a result NCAA changed the rule, eliminating the "running clock" on kickoffs.
Bret-Bielema-umbros.jpg

Last edited:
It’s really getting ludicrous.

Was watching a game last week where two players (obviously not injured) fell to the ground in unison as if they had been shot by a bazooka.
The TV broadcast had a replay where you could see the players looking to the sidelines, and the coach “waiving them down”.... at which point they fell to the turf.

Saw it again tonight in the Toledo game (and you seem to see it in just about every game anymore)
Make them play with 10 for a minimum of 3 plays if they have no time outs. Soccer has something similar.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Cramps are the worst! If you had cramps, you know this. It is very difficult to tell whether a player is faking it.

Kentucky was masterful at this in our bowl game last year. There were two on a single drive and three total IIRC (all while we were putting together a nice drive). Total nonsense.

When a player is injured and his team has utilized all its time outs. If play must be stopped in this situation his team will either be assessed a 5 yard penalty or the injured player may not return for the remainder of that series ( his coaches choice).

what if the kid is really injured?

what if the kid is really injured?
Why would that matter? The player is injured, he gets treatment. He's not going to return for the rest of the series and in effect there is no other penalty to his team. If he is "injured" he should not be returning in 1-3 plays anyway.

Very simple.....a player (O or D) can’t return until a change of possession and their unit returns to the game.
pretty much what I suggested....with giving his coach the 5 yard penalty option if it is a key player and perhaps just "had the wind knocked out of him."

I think everybody agrees something needs to be done about it. I don’t know exactly what, but the consequences have to be strong enough to stop coaches from having their players do it.

Reactions: BBrown
But something has to be done about the epidemic of “faking injuries” on defense to slow down up-tempo offenses.

It was funny for a while....... but it’s just getting to be both ridiculously obvious and waaaaaay to often.

Maybe when a guy is “injured” and requires a time out to get off the field, he has to sit out for X plays (significantly more than 1)? Something like that?

That would not put Refs into a predicament where they have to guess as to whether or not a kid is really hurt....... but could be marketed as a “player safety issue” - since any “injury” requiring assistance should be followed by sufficient time off field to have the player thoroughly evaluated by medical personnel.

What brought that on?

Was watching a game last week where two players (obviously not injured) fell to the ground in unison as if they had been shot by a bazooka.
The TV broadcast had a replay where you could see the players looking to the sidelines, and the coach “waiving them down”.... at which point they fell to the turf.

Saw it again tonight in the Toledo game (and you seem to see it in just about every game anymore)

Oh ok, I wondered why you brought that up. I didn't know there was a game on last night.

in 2010, this FAT@SS had his defense go down with "cramps" at least every other play whenever Arizona State went no-huddle. J.T. Watt "cramped" up at least 4-5 times, magically recovering 1-2 plays later. Of course in 2006 this FAT F^CK did the multiple, deliberate kickoff offsides BS to run out the clock and keep the ball away from the PSU offense prior to halftime. As a result NCAA changed the rule, eliminating the "running clock" on kickoffs.
Bret-Bielema-umbros.jpg

giphy.gif

Reactions: LoyalandTrueLion
Kentucky was masterful at this in our bowl game last year. There were two on a single drive and three total IIRC (all while we were putting together a nice drive). Total nonsense.

I didn't remember that from the KU game but definitely the MSU game.

Very simple.....a player (O or D) can’t return until a change of possession and their unit returns to the game.
I'm going to disagree....rather vehemently.

That forces a coach to possibly play a kid who actually is injured. Or a kid who is injured says he's not because he doesn't want to miss a series.

Some of the soccer leagues my daughter has played in have strict substitution rules. As a result, kids that should have been on the bench are staying on the field.

Player safety first and foremost. A rule like that would jeopardize it.

Reactions: Safety Blitz
Running up tempo to try and catch a defense before they are lined up is pretty bush league. So I think these fake injuries are just fighting fire with fire.

I'm going to disagree....rather vehemently.

That forces a coach to possibly play a kid who actually is injured. Or a kid who is injured says he's not because he doesn't want to miss a series.

Some of the soccer leagues my daughter has played in have strict substitution rules. As a result, kids that should have been on the bench are staying on the field.

Player safety first and foremost. A rule like that would jeopardize it.
An injured player's ability to return is made by the trainers and medical staff at this level. Even in most high schools, coaches are not making those decisions any longer. Coaches certainly (high school) had that burden until recently. Most state athletic associations are requiring certified athletic trainers in high schools. This is all good stuff for the players.
If you watch college football, when medical makes a decision that an athlete is "done" they take his helmet away. In my area, coaches have been dismissed for ignoring their athletic trainers (and rightfully so).

Bret-Bielema-umbros.jpg
Good lord, and he’s married to a smoke show. Brett get a little self control

An injured player during the final two minutes of a game should not be allowed to come back into a game, this includes all positions. Is this a permanent fix regarding fake injuries probably not, is it a deterrent absolutely.

Reactions: Uh Clem
My “best”: fair catches on punts are often whistled dead even when it’s obvious a returner was just trying to shield his face from the sun. The solution: a returner must touch his shoulder pad (or alternatively, his helmet) for a fair catch to be ruled a valid fair catch. He fails to signal “legally”, he’s fair game and coverage guys can knock the snot out of him. Would eliminate most (95%+) of the officiating blown calls on this play.
I like it. It might prevent this sort of thing

I propose keeping a tractor on the sidelines, and whenever a player goes down, the tractor driver drives on the field, hooks the player up by the legs, and drags his a$$ off the field as quickly as that tractor can move. That'll eliminate this crap.

Preventing the injured or "injured" player for reentering the game during the series in which the injury occurs seems like a pretty reasonable step to me. The counter is that a player might decide to play through a real injury knowing that he won't be able to return that series if he goes down.

Reactions: stormingnorm

If they were shot by a bazooka wouldn't their body fall apart? So how did their arms, legs, maybe intestines depart from their main body? And if they can fake that. Shit.... and still come back. That should be allowed

If they were shot by a bazooka wouldn't their body fall apart? So how did their arms, legs, maybe intestines depart from their main body? And if they can fake that. Shit.... and still come back. That should be allowed
Yes
You got it

That is EXACTLY how it played out :)

Along with sitting out a minimum number of plays that should allow the other team to select a 10 sec runoff or add 10 sec depending on the situation. If a team is driving in the last two minutes and the defenders are going down add time to the clock if that is what the offense wants.

Bret-Bielema-umbros.jpg

wrt the old kickoff rule, could you in theory have taken a lead in the second half and then run the clock out with dozens of offsides kickoffs until time expired?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT