ADVERTISEMENT

Huge kudos to the coaches for fixing the "slow start" issue (long)

PSUSignore

May 29, 2001
Given some of the recent negativity here regarding our rushing offense and defense, I did a little research to find some positives through 3 weeks, which obviously wasn't very difficult. Something I haven't seen much chatter about, is how PSU has overcome the slow start issue from last season, and has done so with a vengeance.

Take a look at the opening drive details below, we have been amazingly effective in the 1st quarter of games so far, and in all 3 phases. We are forcing teams to play catch up almost immediately which is a huge factor, particularly against teams built around a methodical running offense.

Obviously this level of success isn't sustainable for a full season or vs. better opposition, but it's a testament to the coaches for addressing something that was an issue last season and turning it into a huge positive.

- We've had a 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter in all 3 games.
- We've had a favorable outcome on 13 out of a total 16 possessions taking place prior to opening up a 2 possession lead.
- We've scored TDs on 2 of our 3 opening possessions, with the lone exception being a red zone turnover following a good drive.
- We've forced early possession turnovers in 2 games.
- We've had an early possession punt return TD.

Week 1:
- Akron's 1st possession goes for 5 plays, 12 yards. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 1st possession goes for 9 plays, 61 yards. Ends in an end zone INT.
- Akron's 2nd possession goes for 3 plays, 3 yards. Ends in a punt returned for a PSU TD.
- Akron's 3rd possession goes for 6 plays, 15 yards. Ends in an INT.
- PSU's 2nd possession goes for 10 plays, 75 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.
Score is 14-0 before the end of the first quarter.

Week 2:
- Pitt's 1st possession goes for 4 plays, 10 yards. Ends in an INT.
- PSU's 1st possession goes for 1 play, 8 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.
- Pitt's 2nd possession goes for 3 plays, 1 yard. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 2nd possession goes for 3 plays, 3 yards. Ends in a punt.
- Pitt's 3rd possession goes for 5 plays, 21 yards. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 3rd possession goes for 6 plays, 62 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.

Week 3:
- PSU's 1st possession goes for 8 plays, 63 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.
- GAST's 1st possession goes for 7 plays, 35 yards. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 2nd possession goes for 6 plays, 21 yards. Ends in a punt.
- GAST's 2nd possession goes for 5 plays, 17 yards. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 3rd possession goes for 3 plays, 83 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.

We are absolutely better than we were last year. I am guilty of looking at the team from the perspective of can we run the table and make it it the big ten championship, and dare I dream, make it to the playoffs. It is enjoyable to think of how far the team has progressed since this time last year.

Too early to get excited yet. Zips and G State don't count. And the Pitt game was started by a huge punt return and a near pic six. Then we didn't score or even move the ball until the second half.
Next couple of games will be much better to know if we are starting better or not.

Reactions: tboyer and Obliviax
Given some of the recent negativity here regarding our rushing offense and defense, I did a little research to find some positives through 3 weeks, which obviously wasn't very difficult. Something I haven't seen much chatter about, is how PSU has overcome the slow start issue from last season, and has done so with a vengeance.

Take a look at the opening drive details below, we have been amazingly effective in the 1st quarter of games so far, and in all 3 phases. We are forcing teams to play catch up almost immediately which is a huge factor, particularly against teams built around a methodical running offense.

Obviously this level of success isn't sustainable for a full season or vs. better opposition, but it's a testament to the coaches for addressing something that was an issue last season and turning it into a huge positive.

- We've had a 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter in all 3 games.
- We've had a favorable outcome on 13 out of a total 16 possessions taking place prior to opening up a 2 possession lead.
- We've scored TDs on 2 of our 3 opening possessions, with the lone exception being a red zone turnover following a good drive.
- We've forced early possession turnovers in 2 games.
- We've had an early possession punt return TD.

Week 1:
- Akron's 1st possession goes for 5 plays, 12 yards. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 1st possession goes for 9 plays, 61 yards. Ends in an end zone INT.
- Akron's 2nd possession goes for 3 plays, 3 yards. Ends in a punt returned for a PSU TD.
- Akron's 3rd possession goes for 6 plays, 15 yards. Ends in an INT.
- PSU's 2nd possession goes for 10 plays, 75 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.

Week 2:
- Pitt's 1st possession goes for 4 plays, 10 yards. Ends in an INT.
- PSU's 1st possession goes for 1 play, 8 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.
- Pitt's 2nd possession goes for 3 plays, 1 yard. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 2nd possession goes for 3 plays, 3 yards. Ends in a punt.
- Pitt's 3rd possession goes for 5 plays, 21 yards. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 3rd possession goes for 6 plays, 62 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.

Week 3:
- PSU's 1st possession goes for 8 plays, 63 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.
- GAST's 1st possession goes for 7 plays, 35 yards. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 2nd possession goes for 6 plays, 21 yards. Ends in a punt.
- GAST's 2nd possession goes for 5 plays, 17 yards. Ends in a punt.
- PSU's 3rd possession goes for 3 plays, 83 yards. Ends in a PSU TD.
Can we give the players some credit?

Can we give the players some credit?
Of course, complementing the coaches is by no means taking credit away from the players for executing early in games. The reason I specifically called out the coaches is because they repeatedly stated they wanted to improve our first half performance last season. I suspect this has been a major point of emphasis for them for some time, and while it didn't happen last year we are definitely seeing some results this season, albeit against rather weak opposition so far.

Reactions: WDLion
Too early to get excited yet. Zips and G State don't count. And the Pitt game was started by a huge punt return and a near pic six. Then we didn't score or even move the ball until the second half.
Next couple of games will be much better to know if we are starting better or not.
We did have a 62 yard TD drive in the first quarter against Pitt. But you make a valid point. Of all of the early scoring drives we've had, only two of the six have been 75+ yards. We've been fortunate to have some great starting field position as well. Of course that field position has been due to our effort on special teams and defense so I don't think it should be completely discredited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT